Sony TV no longer receives TV Guide data over the internet - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-01-2012, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The exact model is KDL-46XBR9 (about 3 years old) but I don't think it makes any difference.

Some time ago (not sure when exactly but I'd say under 2 months ago) it stopped receiving TV Guide data over the internet. It just says "no data available". Attempts to download forcefully sometimes get stuck without progress bar moving anywhere from 0, other times is says "System could not find matching data for postal code entered".

I tried powering TV off, unplugging all the cables and plugging it back on - nothing seems to work.

All the rest of online functionality (streaming Crackle, Amazon, YouTube, etc) works fine.

Anybody has any suggestions?

On a related note: does anybody with Sony TV still receives TV Guide successfully? Please mention your TV model. I am especially interested in XBR9 owners.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-01-2012, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Unfortunately the TV Guide data is no longer provided by Rovi/TVGOS. But it has been transmitted OTA from a local station, often CBS or PBS, not the internet. You may have to rescan your TV to receive some limited PSIP program data from the local stations, and turn off the TV Guide feature. TVGOS will end in all markets sometime next year as far as the OTA service. But it may still be available in Samsung TVs and Bluray players in the Smart TV feature which is supported through the internet as Rovi TV listings. But not the nice built in TV Guide feature you currently enjoy on certain Sony TVs and various DVRs.
JoeSchmoe007 likes this.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-01-2012, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

Unfortunately the TV Guide data is no longer provided by Rovi/TVGOS. But it has been transmitted OTA from a local station, often CBS or PBS, not the internet. You may have to rescan your TV to receive some limited PSIP program data from the local stations, and turn off the TV Guide feature. TVGOS will end in all markets sometime next year as far as the OTA service. But it may still be available in Samsung TVs and Bluray players in the Smart TV feature which is supported through the internet as Rovi TV listings. But not the nice built in TV Guide feature you currently enjoy on certain Sony TVs and various DVRs.
UGH... I actually used it sometimes... Oh well, at least I can now stop torturing my TV trying to get it to work
post #4 of 7 Old 03-10-2013, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
According to these web sites your particular model of TV, KDL-46XBR9, should still be able to receive tvgos data over the internet.
http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/documentLink.do?externalId=C1009552

and:
http://www.twice.com/articletype/news/rovi-switches-ota-delivered-guide-service/104053

Let me know if you have any luck.
Ziggy
post #5 of 7 Old 03-10-2013, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Like tylerSC said the Tv Guide feature is no longer is supported by Sony Tv's. Sony had that on their webpage sometime ago and they said it was Rovi who was pulling the plug.
post #6 of 7 Old 03-31-2013, 01:40 AM

quick comment regarding my own personal experience with this issue..

I have a KDL-52XBR9. Its TV Guide was configured to receive Rovi data via the cable tuner. A few months ago.. stopped receiving updates. I followed the troubleshooting links on the Sony site.. and read about how data could still be retrieved via the internet. (personally.. still confused if they only killed OTA data.. which i don't use at all.. or if they killed both OTA and cable.. which is the assumption i was working under).

In any case.. simply changing the Guide configurations (deleting all settings -> entering zip code -> choosing internet) ..didn't do a damn thing. The progress indicators for setup and data download both stayed at 0% forever.

I figured I'd need to do a factory reset.. but called Sony for their advice before doing so.. since I'd tweaked all the tv configuration settings.. and their firmware provides no utility to backup these settings to a flash drive connected to the usb.. (which is such an obvious must-have feature.. to backup.. and later to restore.. all of these pages and pages of settings.. rather than to simply erase them). Sony pretty much said (in a polite way): tough.. if you want to backup your settings.. then get a pencil and some paper. Which is what I ended up doing. Once I'd "backed up" my settings.. I did a factory reset: by turning the tv on.. holding the "up" arrow on the remote control WHILE pressing (and subsequently releasing) the power button on the right side of the tv set.. then finally releasing the "up" arrow. The tv will think for a few seconds.. then turn off.. then turn back on.. and display the initial setup wizard. After walking through the wizard.. setting up networking.. scanning for channels.. etc, then press "Guide" on the remote. Again.. first-run setup wizard. After entering zipcode.. and opting to use the internet connection to retrieve listings data, I saw those same two progress indicators that previously sat there idle. However, this time.. they both work. And now the tv has its guide working again. Then.. once that's all squared away.. out comes the pencil and paper.. to do a full "restore".

Incidentally.. I recently upgraded the firmware from v1 to v2 (the current one); huge improvement. Previously, the tv refused to accept an internet connection from my router, which was hard wired. Also, there were a lot of HD cable channels that the tv refused to play.. despite the fact that other (HD) tvs in the house will play them just fine. Both of these issues were fixed with the updated firmware.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-01-2013, 10:13 PM

It is now 1 May 2013, and my Sony Bravia KDL46HX820 still gets the Rovi TV Guide. I don't have cable. TV is connected to antenna and receives OTA channels. It is wireless Internet enabled. There is a Blu Ray player. Which of these factors is delivering the Rovi TV Guide to my TV?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page