post #1 of 6 Old 12-01-2012, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Looking to pick up a 42" LED TV and I've narrowed it down to these two choices:

Panasonic TC-L42E50, 120HZ Smart TV currently on sale for $579
Sony KDL-42EX440, 60HZ currently on sale for $548

Price difference is obviously negligible.

I like that the Panny is 120 HZ. Smart TV doesn't matter much to me at all but I suppose it couldn't hurt. I am aware that the E50 is "wireless ready" and thus requires an extra part to connect wirelessly. This isn't a big issue for me at the moment as my TV will be very close to my internet hub.

My concern with the Panny is that the black levels are reportedly not very good.

I saw the Sony in store and thought it looked great. There have been some reports of uniformity issues though, and this is what I am absolutely hoping to avoid to the greatest extent possible. Also concerned about it only being 60HZ, but it doesn't seem that anyone has reported problems with this. It's pretty bare bones as far as features go but all I'm looking for is a great picture.

Anyone have some thoughts to share on this subject? I've searched around AVSForums on these sets and found some helpful information, but I'm just curious if anyone has compared them side-by-side or has had experience with both. smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-01-2012, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Seems like you know more about them than just a bout anybody.

I favor the Panasonic for overall PQ. But the Sony would be OK too.

Vizio VP322 Plasma / Vizio GV42LF LCD / Denon 2200 Silicon Image DVD / Panasonic S97 Faroudja Genesis DVD / Oppo 970HD Mediatek DVD / Oppo 983H Anchor Bay DVD / Panasonic LX-600 Laserdisc / Aiwa MX100 Multi-region VCR / JVC S7600 S-VHS / PS2 / Sega Genesis / Nintendo SNES / Roku 2 XS & HD-XR / Realistic STA-90 Reciever / Realistic Minimus 7 / Antennacraft G1483 Hoverman / Belden 7915A RG6 / Channel Master 7777 Titan 2 UHF/VHF / Panasonic AX-200u / Optoma Graywolf 92" / Draper Luma 92"
post #3 of 6 Old 12-01-2012, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeVelocity View Post

Seems like you know more about them than just a bout anybody.
I favor the Panasonic for overall PQ. But the Sony would be OK too.

Thanks for the input. I haven't owned a Sony or Panasonic in years, so I'm mainly curious as to which brand has the better picture quality (at least among the "budget" options).
post #4 of 6 Old 01-20-2013, 07:44 PM

Liked: 10
did you buy either one of these? I'm also trying to decide between the two. I went down to best buy and the sony's color seemed muted and the panasonic's colors seemed more vibrant. Sony's red was leaning towards a magenta. I didn't get to adjust the panasonic (their buttons aren't very accessible) but it was obviously set at a very dark setting and from what I've read the contrast ratio might be worst. For some reason, it could be the low level brightness, but I thought the panasonic's white wasn't very uniform; some parts were darker than others.

Maybe I'll have to memorize the panasonic button layouts and take another trip to best buy.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-21-2013, 02:20 AM

The sony has good black levels but has bad uniformity.

The panasonic has bad black levels but good uniformity.

Pick your poison.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-24-2013, 11:21 PM

Im also looking at these sets, I recently purchased a Panny u50 plasma (my first plasma) and it had what looked like static when ever screen was black so I exchanged for a different one and this one does the same thing except it only does it if I turn up brightness pass 55, found out this is called dithering and very common on plasmas, also on this new one there is a high pitch buzzing sound that is very annoying, other than that it has a good picure and BD look great, but I think I might have to go back to an LCD/LED, I gave the plasma a try and theres some good things about it but Im on my second one and not sure I want to try a 3rd and Im sure Sears doesn't want me to either. Im leaning towards the Sony, jsut hope I get one with decent uniformity
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page