I Need help/advice with my new Panasonic TC-L47ET5 TV and DMP-BDT320 Blu-Ray - I'm Not a Happy Camper Right Now - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-04-2012, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought a Panasonic TC-L47ET5 LCD Passive 3D TV and a Panasonic DMP-BDT320 3D Blu-Ray player during the Black Firday/Cyber Monday time period. They weren't a part of a big sale, but the price seemed right.

But, I think I should have done more research first ....

I bought the pair to replace the TV and Blu-Ray in our bedroom. So, I wasn't looking for top-of-the-line performance. But, when I set up the TV I was instantly taken back by the really bad picture. I know we all complain about the default settings for TVs, but this was the worst (or best) exampel of the "Soap Opera Effect" that I've seen. I spent hours playing with the settings and searching the 'net for suggested calibrations. Most of the examples on the 'net said to turn on an Advanced option that doesn't seem to exist on my incarnation of the TV.

Finally, though, after about four hours of work, I managed to get the picture too look good. And the 3D looks really good. I didn't see any of the scan line or lower-res problems others have mentioned. I saw less ghosting and other unwanted artifacts than I usually see on my much more expensive Samsung in the family room.

So, the picture looks good now, but the sound is horrible. I realized that the sound from a flat-panel TV isn't going to be great. But, since the TV is the one in the bedroom, I thought I could live with it. We were replacing a cheap TV and I expected the sound to be at least as good as the Visio's. I was wrong. The sound is so bad that we often can't understand things that are said in normal conversations. I've gone through all the audio setings and haven't been able to fix it much. So, I ordered a Panasonic "Audio System" which is designed fo rthe TV. The extra $200 cost makes the TV not seem like such a bargain.

So, I think I have the Video and Audio problems worked out. The one lingering problem is that a major goal of upgrading the TV system in our bedroom was to be able to control the TV and Blu-Ray player from a single remote. Panasonic's description of the ET5 says "One Remote Controls Them All" and describes how the TV's remote can control other devices.

But, it doesn't work.

And, that's an even bigger problem because the Blu-Ray player comes with a remote that only has a few buttons. A touch pad is used for most functions and I find it really hard to use.

The TV's remote has Pause, Play, Stop, Forward, and Back buttons at the bottom. These work when a title is playing. But, none of the remote's keys work to select menu items or perform any other function - though one key will pop up the player's "Keys" window, but you can't do anything after that.

So, my main questions are ....

Is there something I need to do to make the TV's remote control the Blu-Ray player?

If not, would replacing the Blu-Ray player with another one from Panasonic (one that has a real remote with real buttons) fix the problem? If you have a Panasonic TV and a Blu-Ray player with VIERA Link and a regular remote are you able to control the Blu-Ray player with the TV's remote?

Thanks.

-- Roger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-18-2012, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Last night, I tried to at least get the Panasonic amplifier/speaker system to work right with the TV. Sometimes it worked correctly, turning on with the TV and allowing control of the amp's volume through the TV remote. But, often, the speakers would not turn on. Or they would turn on while the TV speakers remained on. When things didn't work right, pressing the "Viera Link" button and selecting "Home Theater" for the speakers would produce some message about checking the HDMI cables. I tried two sets of cables including a new one. When the speakers didn't work right, I'd have to turn off both the TV and speakers then turn both on in the right order. And that only worked about half the time.

So, I finally gave up. UPS is coming tomorrow to pick and return the TV, Blu-Ray player, and amplifier.

-- Roger
post #3 of 4 Old 12-19-2012, 06:33 PM

I love my harmony remote. I got it as a refurb from amazon years ago for $35-$45 model H659.

Best thing I did for my living room.

Press 1 button and it turns the tv on sets it to cable box imput, turns on the receiver and sets it to the cable box audio imput.
Volume buttons control the receiver channel buttons control the cable box.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/remotes/universal-remotes?WT.mc_id=amr_goog_harmony_touch_q3_fy13_serp&WT.srch=1
post #4 of 4 Old 12-20-2012, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

I tried a universal remote to see if it would help, but it didn't. The external speakers sometimes powered on with the TV and sometimes didn't. Sometimes the TV speakers would be on at the same time as the external ones. Most of the time, pressing the "Viera Link" button and selecting "Home Theater System" didn't work. So, I don't think it would be possible to construct a macro that would make the TV turn on and the external speakers work right every time.

I do, however, like the universal remote that I bought. It's a MasterControl RF20 with the "Power Blast" receiver. It's not as fancy as a Harmony, but is much less expensive. The receiver goes in the cabinet with my DVR and other components and the remote talks with it by RF. The receiver includes six or eight IR emitters, but I found that the one built-into the receiver was enough for my setup. It even includes preprogrammed codes for a Roku box.

BTW ... I'm still upset at the whole Revue fiasco. So, I don't see any new Logitech products in my future.

-- Roger
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc L47et5 47 Inch 1080p 3d Full Hd Ips Led Lcd Tv With 4 Pairs Of Polarized 3d Glass , Panasonic Dmp Bdt320 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player , Panasonic Viera Tc L47et5 47 Inch Full 3d Hdtv Led Lcd Internet Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page