Warranty on "new" LCD TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-04-2012, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My wife and I are on the verge of buying an expensive LED/LCD TV.

We have a good friend who is a member of an organzation through which he can get tremendous discounts on a variety of expensive TVs. Our friend has graciously offered to purchase a TV for us. We would simply buy the TV from him at the price he paid for it and he would give us the orginal receipt, as well as a receipt for purchasing the set from him. We'd get the unopened box, so the blank warranty card would be right in there, as well.

You can probably already guess the question I'm going to ask.

Even though we are not the original buyer, if we buy the TV from him and immediately either mail the warranty registration card or register the TV over the internet in our name, if it should become necessary to do so, are we going to have any trouble down the road getting warranty service from the manufacturer?

If there was potential trouble down that road, I believe he would agree to continue act as the official owner and he would submit the warranty info in his name. If warranty service were required, he'd have to go through the hassle of contacting the proper person, etc. Hopefully we wouldn't have to drag the TV to his residence for the service call. (I guess we'd have to remain good friends .................... at least until the warranty runs out.biggrin.gif)

Obviously, we'd rather go the former route rather than the latter.

Thanks for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-04-2012, 08:07 AM

Liked: 10
Unless his company has a policy regarding the television being gifted after purchase then no problems. It is as if you received a gift from your friend. Good for you - this does not restrict your ability to obtain a warranty on the tv.

I should edit and add - I would not disclose that you "bought" the tv from him. It was a gift.
post #3 of 5 Old 12-04-2012, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
The only way the manufacturer would know if HE bought it and not you is if he pays with a credit card. If he pays with cash, the receipt will only show the date it was purchased.
post #4 of 5 Old 12-04-2012, 08:48 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sitlet View Post

The only way the manufacturer would know if HE bought it and not you is if he pays with a credit card. If he pays with cash, the receipt will only show the date it was purchased.

Have him pay with cash and you get the receipt. Its like he never bought it.
post #5 of 5 Old 12-04-2012, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
TomfromPC, sitlet and Danediz, thanks very much for your advice. I'm pumped thinking that we might save literally thousands on this purchase.

Obviously, there must be some method that his organization has for him to make payment. I hope that my friend can pay with the exact cash amount and, therefore, no need for the organization to "make change". But if his organization is "not set up to accept /handle cash", as even some retailers are, is paying by debit card, or bank check, or any other method, preferable to using a credit card in maintaining buyer anonymity? (For example, isn't the only information on a debit purchase the user's account number, without a name?)

Thanks again.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page