HELP! How long does it take to adjust to HDTV. Our initial experience is not good. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 12-05-2012, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Family just got our VIZIO 55" HDTV last night after 40 years of watching old technology. Our experience was not good. First, while watch movies on Netflix, it felt like we were ON the movie set, rather than in the audience. We were able to see that the sets weren't real (e.g. rocks were clearly made from foam, etc.). It took the magic out of watching. Is this a common experience? Will our brains adjust? Will the magic of watching movies return? It feels like we're watching Playhouse 90 back in the 60's, with the actors "on top of us.". (We are sitting 12-14 feet from the screen.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-05-2012, 10:13 AM

Liked: 13
Your brain will adjust. If you only watch hd programming for a few months you will suddenly gain a distaste for anything in SD. It's just the way it goes.
post #3 of 10 Old 12-05-2012, 10:30 AM

Liked: 14
You probably have "Smooth Motion" on. Turn that off.
post #4 of 10 Old 12-05-2012, 04:42 PM

Liked: 11
You need to adjust the TV settings to your liking, and that can take weeks of tweaking things here and there. This isn't like the old days where you had a couple knobs to control the picture. There are tons of settings on your TV and you need to work on adjusting all of them to get the kind of picture you want.

I would start off by looking up suggested settings for your TV model online. Find which one looks best and then tweak it further from there.
post #5 of 10 Old 12-05-2012, 04:42 PM

You need to adjust the TV settings to your liking, and that can take weeks of tweaking things here and there. This isn't like the old days where you had a couple knobs to control the picture. There are tons of settings on your TV and you need to work on adjusting all of them to get the kind of picture you want.

I would start off by looking up suggested settings for your TV model online. Find which one looks best and then tweak it further from there.
post #6 of 10 Old 12-05-2012, 04:42 PM

post #7 of 10 Old 12-05-2012, 04:42 PM

Eek, I have no idea why that posted five times. Sorry about that.
post #8 of 10 Old 12-05-2012, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Turn off Dynamic Contrast Ratio.

Turn off Ambient Light Sensor.

Turn off Noise Reduction.

Turn off White Level limiter.

Turn off Black Level Extender.

To start.

Then get yourself a calibration disc like Disney Wow or AVS 709 or Avia and set the Backlight down to under 50 and set Brightness (black level) and Contrast Ratio (white level) according to the tests. Then bump the Brighness down a couple of notches and the Contrast Ratio up a couple of notches. Then punch up the Color saturation a couple of notches.

Then check out the picture with Adaptive Luma turned on and off, to see if you like it. Also try turning the Smart Motion Flow or whatever Vizio is calling it, on and off and at different levels to see which you like best. I say turn this on off unless you are watching sports.

Vizio VP322 Plasma / Vizio GV42LF LCD / Denon 2200 Silicon Image DVD / Panasonic S97 Faroudja Genesis DVD / Oppo 970HD Mediatek DVD / Oppo 983H Anchor Bay DVD / Panasonic LX-600 Laserdisc / Aiwa MX100 Multi-region VCR / JVC S7600 S-VHS / PS2 / Sega Genesis / Nintendo SNES / Roku 2 XS & HD-XR / Realistic STA-90 Reciever / Realistic Minimus 7 / Antennacraft G1483 Hoverman / Belden 7915A RG6 / Channel Master 7777 Titan 2 UHF/VHF / Panasonic AX-200u / Optoma Graywolf 92" / Draper Luma 92"
post #9 of 10 Old 12-05-2012, 09:57 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam108 
"We were able to see that the sets weren't real (e.g. rocks were clearly made from foam, etc.).

Well, more detail is part of the deal with HD, but it almost sounds like the sharpness may be too high. In my experience with several brands sharpness is often is set higher than the "neutral" point on default settings for quite a few viewing modes. Edge enhancement, which has similar effects, may very well be turned on too. I'd suggest turning that off and reducing sharpness and see what that does for you. If you've gotten used to the boosted sharpness the image will look blurry at first after doing this, but, your eyes will adjust and probably thank you in the end. That's my two cents.
post #10 of 10 Old 12-06-2012, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom4221 View Post

Well, more detail is part of the deal with HD, but it almost sounds like the sharpness may be too high. In my experience with several brands sharpness is often is set higher than the "neutral" point on default settings for quite a few viewing modes. Edge enhancement, which has similar effects, may very well be turned on too. I'd suggest turning that off and reducing sharpness and see what that does for you. If you've gotten used to the boosted sharpness the image will look blurry at first after doing this, but, your eyes will adjust and probably thank you in the end. That's my two cents.

That's my guess as well. Not because I own that TV, but because of my experience with imaging algorithms. With images if you go down the software sharpening route too far you inherently move the natural soft contours of an object into the land of grainy fake looking hooey.

Just now to verify this effect I modified an image of my son. His skin started looking more and more like fake foam the sharper it got. It could well be that the rocks you are seeing actually look far more like real rocks than you expect, but your set is sharpening the bejeebers out of it. Right to foam.

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page