Best choice for BIG screen LCD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 12-07-2012, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hi there all.

I'm in the market for a BIG screen LCD panel. To cut a long story short, I purchased a 65" VT50 a short time ago and I wished I had've gone bigger. I sit around 3.5m from my display and I thought that a jump from 60" to 65" would satisfy me.. it did not.

As I see it I have three key panels to chose from, being the 70" Sharp (the Australian model is your 735U without 3d), the 80" Sharp (which is identical to your model in the U.S.) and the 75" Samsung ES9000.

I have been doing a LOT of reading, and based on that, I can make the following observations:

1. The 70" Sharp appears, by most accounts to be a solid panel with very good picture quality as it features a full array backlighting. It doesn't come with any 3D capability in Australia. It seems well priced at $3.7k here.. cheaper than most of the 60" and 65" Samsungs and Sonys.

2. The 80" Sharp is touted as having relatively interior picture quality to most other LCD flat panels out there ATM. Evidentially viewing angles are a bit of an issue on it and even dead centre, due to it's size, you can see the sides washing out from 3-4M distance. The price in Australia is extortion, close to $10k but you can pick them up for around $8k when stores have specials running.

3. Which brings us to the ES9000. The problem is that there are very few actual reviews out there for this panel, which surprises me. I have read some forums which bother me as some guys who have purchased the ES9000 have gone through 2-3 panels before they got one without clouding, banding and backlight bleeding issues.

The principle use for the panel is movies (at night, dark room) and XBOX gaming. I am leaning towards the Samsung, but $5k is a lot to pay for an extra 5" over the relatively cheap 70" Sharp. I have seen all three in action. I think the 80" is starting to push the friendship at 1080p.. the 75" Samsung appears to have the best PQ and the 70" Sharp is the best value by far. THe BIG issue here is that I am coming from a VT50 and a 60" Kuro.. two reference level displays so the panel I chose will have to hold up reasonably well in PQ against them (naturally I don't expect them to be as good ... but close enough would be nice!).

I'd be particularly interested in hearing from anyone who has experience with both the ES9000 and the 70" Sharp, does the 5" make that much of a difference at and does the 70" Sharp actually offer overall better PQ with it's full array backlighting ?

Any feedback is appreciated.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page