Official Sony KDL60EX645 thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 173 Old 01-25-2013, 06:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Good day.

I bought the KDL 60EX645 last week and have used Sodaboy5812's settings and I am pretty pleased with the results. I did want to check to see what panel I have but the "Left, Right, Mute, OK, Mute, Menu on the remote" sequence does absolutely nothing when I try it. Made several attempts actually. Any idea what I am doing wrong? Are any of those buttons pressed simultaneously? I'm pretty tech-savvy, but I can't seem to get into the system menu.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 173 Old 01-25-2013, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I was able to get in the service menu the first time I tried. Maybe your pausing to long between some of the button presses. You have to be as smooth as possible. I looked at the remote and mapped out my button presses with my thumb a few times before I actually went through the sequence. I'm sure this model uses the Sharp panel and that yours will be no different.
post #93 of 173 Old 01-25-2013, 11:35 AM

I was looking at getting one of these TV's. Does anyone know if:

1. The TV supports network standby and wake on LAN. This allows for things like turning on the TV by DLNA access or iphone app
2. Notifications such as twitter when you are watching TV on HDMI. Wondering if as you watch TV a small popup would show when messages are received.

thanks
post #94 of 173 Old 01-25-2013, 11:38 AM

Liked: 12
The tv has to be on in order to access it. I was used to having my samsung being off first to access the service menu and I tried a number of times until I realized I should try it while it's on.
post #95 of 173 Old 01-25-2013, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spimm View Post

The tv has to be on in order to access it. I was used to having my samsung being off first to access the service menu and I tried a number of times until I realized I should try it while it's on.

Wow, good to know. I would have thought every tv had to be powered on in order to access the service menu. So your Samsung was off when you entered the service menu code then it turned on?
post #96 of 173 Old 01-25-2013, 03:30 PM

Yeah, you had to turn it off then press mute, 1-8-2, power. If anyone has a sammy too that's how to access the service menu.
post #97 of 173 Old 01-25-2013, 05:16 PM

Well, I must be the stupidest person around here then, because it doesn't work for me. When I get to mute, that displays fine on the screen.

By left and right I assume that this refers to the circular button in the centre that has up, down, left and right. By OK, I assume this means the button in the centre of the circular one.

By Menu, I assume that means the down button in the circular button.

Nobody made any clarifications so I went by those parameters.

In any event, the sequence does not work for me.

What am I missing?

I actually want to take a picture to prove to my colleague that it is indeed a Sharp panel, but this is frustrating.

Meanwhile, I figured out all the surround, callibration settings.

Darn!
post #98 of 173 Old 01-25-2013, 05:37 PM

Menu is the home button... otherwise you are correct in the sequence.... left arrow, right arrow, mute, center of circle, mute, home

It works if you do it slowly too, I think you been hitting the down arrow thinking it was the menu button:)
post #99 of 173 Old 01-25-2013, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpovolo View Post

I was looking at getting one of these TV's. Does anyone know if:

1. The TV supports network standby and wake on LAN. This allows for things like turning on the TV by DLNA access or iphone app
2. Notifications such as twitter when you are watching TV on HDMI. Wondering if as you watch TV a small popup would show when messages are received.

thanks

I do know the iphone/ipod app does not work on it. Sony may one day update the app to support this tv. I do not know about your other questions since I do not have a twitter account and my belkin n+ router/ media server does not play nice using dlna on the tv nor my ps3.
post #100 of 173 Old 01-26-2013, 09:43 AM

Just got home with my new KDL60EX645. Getting ready to open it up.
post #101 of 173 Old 01-26-2013, 10:45 AM

Ok got it up and running and it looks very good just need to fine tune it some more. very happy with it so far.
post #102 of 173 Old 01-28-2013, 09:58 AM

Yes - that worked.

Thanks,
post #103 of 173 Old 01-31-2013, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodaboy581 View Post

1. Left, Right, Mute, OK, Mute, Menu on the remote.
2. I haven't used the YouTube app on the TV, but if it's like the Netflix app on the TV, you have to change the settings while inside of the App. The only way you can do this is to use the "Options" button on the remote because if you press "Menu", the App will end.

There is no option to disable motion flow inside the youtube app. Many options are grayed out inside the youtube app
post #104 of 173 Old 01-31-2013, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I just ordered a EX645 and I did look at Sharp/Samsung and yes even Vizio. As many have said on here even though Sony is getting panels from other manufacture's a lot has to to with how the processing takes place or processing power in some cases and how they are calibrated before they are shipped and a lot more. To me the Sharp sets just don't look right, unless your looking at their Elite line. I have had good Luck with
Sony in the past even when I got my XBR1 that developed the green blob after 6 months, then Sony replaced it with a XBR2 with an extra bulb which managed to make it 8 years and then developed the green blob! Sony sent me a NX720 60" and only charged me shipping and let me keep my XBR2, this set is up at our Lake House, but I can't watch it anymore so hence I am looking at new sets. I took a look at a Vizio at Costco today, a 65" for $1289 and a 5 year warr, just curious on what panels those guys use, only issue I have heard with it, is that it's processor is underpowered to operate its Apps.
post #105 of 173 Old 02-02-2013, 06:05 AM

I just picked up one of these. I haven't tried PS3 media server yet. For some reason the TV sees my synology NAS but cannot open it. Any ideas on what to try. It also see's my windows 8 machines and cannot open those either. I even turned off the windows firewall.

Anyone know what to try?

thanks
post #106 of 173 Old 02-02-2013, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 47
mpovolo: Most TVs that have the whole WiFi built into them never seem to work as well as they say. I bought this set basically based off of picture quality for the price, I saw a few Vizios that I liked at well but the return rates on those units were off the map. That being said I would call Sony Tech support and see if they have a firmware update that might fix your problem, but you are much better off using your PS3 as your main media server than trying to get your TV to do it. Not sure what your specifically trying to do, have your TV pickup your NAS Server so you can play media content off of it like music and movies?
post #107 of 173 Old 02-02-2013, 04:16 PM

Yes. I like the picture frame app that plays music and pictures at the same time. Thanks for your input.
post #108 of 173 Old 02-02-2013, 08:54 PM

Liked: 11
Has anyone been able to use the the Android app " Media Remote" with their 645. I can't seem to get it to work. Looks like it would be kind of neet as you could use it as a keyboard with the internet.
post #109 of 173 Old 02-02-2013, 09:06 PM

I'm having some trouble with motion on this set. I came from a Sony KDS 60A3000. It had the same options for Motionflow and CineMotion that this new set has.

On my previous set for a 1080p/24 source, I always kept Motionflow set to Standard and CineMotion set to Auto 1. This produced a smooth picture without SOE. If I set the Motionflow to High on the A3000, then I would get that SOE look. On this new set with Motionflow set to Standard and CineMotion set to Auto 1, I get the SOE effect. Changing the Motionflow to High does absolutely nothing. It's like there is no difference between Motionflow setting Standard and High.

In fact, I can't see any difference between any of the Motionflow and CineMotion settings on this new set other than SOE. No mater what combination of the 2 variables, I either get a picture without processing, or I get full-blown SOE. No in between.

Not sure if this is a problem with my set, or just how it is. I don't like the SOE look. Really wish I just had the smoothing effect without the SOE like the A3000. Can someone else see how their set behaves on a 1080p/24 source with these setings? Thanks.
post #110 of 173 Old 02-02-2013, 09:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDCL View Post

Not sure if this is a problem with my set, or just how it is. I don't like the SOE look. Really wish I just had the smoothing effect without the SOE like the A3000. Can someone else see how their set behaves on a 1080p/24 source with these setings? Thanks.

Keep Motionflow set to Standard, CineMotion set to Auto 2. States this in the manual as well.

Auto 2 most definitely does NOT have SOE whatsoever.

If you're getting it, I'd believe you have a firmware or problem with your set.
NeilFlix likes this.

Current HT setup:

Samsung UN65F6300 65" LCD HDTV, Polk CS20 Center, 2x Polk Monitor 75T Fronts, 2x Polk TSI300 Backs, Polk PSW110 Subwoofer.

post #111 of 173 Old 02-03-2013, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

PDCL, Sodaboy is right with the settings. I came from a Sony KDS-55A3000. Standard and auto 2 work great, no SOE.
post #112 of 173 Old 02-03-2013, 08:07 AM

I understand that there is no SOE with those settings. I stated as such in my original post. However, there is no motion processing at all that I can see with those settings. In the A3000, there was some difference between all those settings. Specifically, the difference between Motionflow off, Standard, and High was as follows:

A3000
Off - no processing
Standard - frame interpolation, motion smoothing (NO SOE)
High - frame interpolation, motion smoothing, SOE effect

EX645
Off - no processing
Standard - frame interpolation, motion smoothing, SOE effect
High - frame interpolation, motion smoothing, SOE effect

There is no difference in the Standard and High settings on the EX645, whereas on the A3000, there was a difference. I would have expected the EX645 to not produce SOE when Motionflow is set to Standard. Or at least some combination of Motionflow and CineMotion producing a frame-interpolated picture with no SOE, just like was present on the A3000. Based on the manual for each tv, it does look like the names have swapped for some of the values, but essentially the combination still theoretically exists for what I am looking for. I can't make it happen, though.

Tom, do you get a frame-interpolated, smooth picture using Standard and Auto 2? I don't. I see no difference between those settings and turning them both off.
post #113 of 173 Old 02-03-2013, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDCL View Post

I understand that there is no SOE with those settings. I stated as such in my original post. However, there is no motion processing at all that I can see with those settings. In the A3000, there was some difference between all those settings.

I honestly don't understand what you're trying to accomplish, sorry. Any sort of "Motion Smoothing" would imply there is some sort frame interpolation going on. To "smooth" out something, you would have to add additional frames. The EX645 just presents the 24p frames as is, unless you turn CineMotion to Auto 1, which enables SOE.

In fact, the CineMotion Auto 2 setting does nothing for 24p sources. It's only used when it encounters 24p movie that was changed to 30p, 60i, or 60p like you find on a TV broadcast or a BluRay player configured to output 60p. Auto 2 attempts to convert the video back to 24p.

You can ditch the Auto 2 CineMotion setting and just use MotionFlow Standard without image interpolation, if you're using a straight up 24p source. The MotionFlow setting is the only setting that increases motion resolution, out of those two settings. The only other setting that increases motion resolution is LED Motion Plus, buried in the advanced picture settings menu (You'll have to use a custom picture mode for this). However, turning that on will decrease the brightness of the picture substantially and you'll have to increase the backlight to max to compensate. (I've confirmed the increase in motion resolution myself by panning cameras around in fighting and FPS games. But since any scene mode outside of Game mode has pretty bad lag and Game mode doesn't allow these settings, the settings are useless for twitch games.)

If this result isn't what you're looking for then there's nothing you can do to get this set looking like whatever you seem to remember your previous TV looking like. You could try to return this TV and buy a step-up model with more customization on the settings or buy another brand's TV (Like Samsung, which TVs feature customizable blur and de-judder/smoothing settings from 0-10 via 2 sliding bars)... but what I've said is all this TV does.
NeilFlix likes this.

Current HT setup:

Samsung UN65F6300 65" LCD HDTV, Polk CS20 Center, 2x Polk Monitor 75T Fronts, 2x Polk TSI300 Backs, Polk PSW110 Subwoofer.

post #114 of 173 Old 02-03-2013, 02:40 PM

What I want to accomplish is easy to state: motion smoothing (dejuddering) without SOE.

When you view the EX645 in the store in demo mode, you come to a section that shows "Motionflow 240" (or something like that), where there is a line down the middle of the screen. The easiest way to see it is when something like a ticker is scrolling across the screen. The right half of the screen, which doesn't have the Motionflow turned on, is juddering/jumpy (normal viewing). The left half of the screen, where Motionflow is turned on, is smooth. No juddering on the ticker. There is no SOE on these screens, but motion is dejuddered and smooth.

That is what I want, and what I had with my previous set.
post #115 of 173 Old 02-03-2013, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah, but you shouldn't be having judder whatsoever to begin with... Even when Motionflow is off when the set has a 24p source. Motionflow just increases the motion resolution, but it doesn't add any extra judder or do SOE unless CineMotion is set to Auto 1.

My set doesn't judder unless input is 60p from a 24p converted source. Your's shouldn't either.

Current HT setup:

post #116 of 173 Old 02-04-2013, 04:52 PM

Sorry guys but I will be leaving you thread since i have returned the Sony after my wife started whining about motion blur. I talked her into getting a 64" plasma:D, so thanks for all the help guys.
post #117 of 173 Old 02-07-2013, 07:53 AM

Howdy all,

I just picked this TV up from Frys - $1099 KDL60EX645

The things I liked that are particular to this television are…
Picture quality – WOW
Access to my Netflix, Amazon instant video accounts over the internet – great
Number of inputs for DVD, PC and other stuff – Good
Price – Awesome for everything you get.

Things OK about the set…
Built in speakers – OK
The look of the pedestal and the bezel – OK
Remote – OK but I’m getting more used to it.
Anti-Reflections – OK My tv room has a lot of windows so a lot of sunlight during the day. The screen has anti-reflective matte on it but I’ve seen other TV’s that do a better job.

Things I don’t like…
No escaping the clouding on black scenes. Anyone found settings to reduce that?
It’s a slow to load Netflix, Amazon instant video but video playback show no hesitation.

I'm trying to connect my laptop via the VGA input and I set it to 1920 x 1080 but the TV shows that the signal is unsupported however the manual has a chart showing the resolution is supported. Lower resolutions seem to display. Has anyone successfully connected via VGA at that resolution?
post #118 of 173 Old 02-07-2013, 01:56 PM

Hmm.. it was something with my laptop. I tried a different laptop and worked fine.

It seems like the pixel mapping doesn't match perfectly but its pretty darn close and it looks very good.
post #119 of 173 Old 02-08-2013, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayychingado View Post

Hmm.. it was something with my laptop. I tried a different laptop and worked fine.

It seems like the pixel mapping doesn't match perfectly but its pretty darn close and it looks very good.

You can get 1:1 with this set, you just have to change the Display Area option and the Auto Size to off, I think... It's somewhere in the menus... I'm not by my TV now, but you can find it if you dig down enough.

Current HT setup:

post #120 of 173 Old 02-09-2013, 02:48 PM

Well I finally got my tv with the big 10"x8" foot shaped bright spot replaced. The new one thank god doesn't have any bad clouding, probably even better then the previous. My only gripe is the whole right side from the center over to the right edge has a slightly pinkish/skin colored hue to it while the left is nice bright white.

It's not all that noticable except i'm kinda just looking for it now. This is my third set, think i should just live with it? Heh I'm probably never gonna get a better uniform set.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony 60 Inch Kdl60ex645 , Sony , Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page