Official Sony KDL60EX645 thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 173 Old 12-09-2012, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello

Does anyone have good settings for KDL60EX645?
Also looking at the explanation for each menu options. For e.g. what is motionflow vs cinemotion etc.
Why are font blurry for native netflix application?

Regards
Mac
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 173 Old 12-17-2012, 12:41 PM

Check out post number 19 in this thread by user demoetc50 for two different options for calibration settings: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1429080/sony-kdl-ex645

Given they were for his KDL-55EX645, so they may not be a perfect match for your 60" set, but they should still at least provide somewhat of a baseline to start off with. From what I've learned from combing the AVS forum for the past few months while shopping for a new TV, almost everyone suggests getting at the least a calibration disk to properly set up your TV. I've still yet to determine which of these disks ia best, but I'll get back to you after I research some more.

I just ordered my KDL50EX645 yesterday and have to wait the next week for mine to ship here. If you do end up trying these two settings, or if you end up finding some other settings that work better, please share them here so I can use them when mine finally shows up.
post #3 of 173 Old 12-17-2012, 03:57 PM

My KDL60EX645 arrives tomorrow. I will share my initial thoughts on it and try some of the picture settings provided on this forum as well as the settings CNET.com provided and give some feedback.
post #4 of 173 Old 12-17-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehosey2 View Post

My KDL60EX645 arrives tomorrow. I will share my initial thoughts on it and try some of the picture settings provided on this forum as well as the settings CNET.com provided and give some feedback.

Best of luck with the new TV...

please let us know if your notice any "dark areas" in the bottom corners on light colored backgrounds:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1437963/dark-corners-on-new-sony-model-kdl60ex645-possible-generic-issue

PS: I think that the Vizio/Samsung folks refer to these dark spots as "feathers"
post #5 of 173 Old 12-19-2012, 08:39 AM

I received the KDL-60EX645 yesterday and am extremely pleased. From reading previous threads it seems others that have stated issues such as clouding, backlight bleeding, and dark spots in the corners. I can confidently state mine does not appear to exhibit any of those issues. I read somewhere that people's EX645/640 build dates were from September 2012 or earlier. Mine has a build date of December 2012. I ordered it on 12/8/2012 via phone and got my KDL-60EX645 for $1349.99, saving $150.00. Over the next few days I will view DirecTV, Blu ray, and even HD DVD's to look for any issues and to fine tune the picture settings, even though on Standard setting the picture is fantastic. I tried Cnet's settings and in my viewing environment it did not look good to my eyes. This set is a definite keeper. Edit: I will also try to take some pictures of this beautiful set in action. There are no dead pixels and I really love the matte screen.
post #6 of 173 Old 01-01-2013, 10:40 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
I just picked up this TV today. No major issues with it. Just finished up a calibration on my TV and thought I'd share the settings...

Picture Settings
Picture Mode: Custom
Backlight: 6
Picture: 95
Brightness: 50
Color: 44
Hue: G4
Sharpness: Min
Color Temperature: Warm 2
Noise Reduction: Off
MPEG Noise Reduction: Off
Motionflow: Standard
CineMotion: Auto 2

Advanced Settings
Adv. Contrast Enhancer: Off
Black Corrector: Off
Gamma: 0
Clear White: Off
Live Color: Off
LED Motion Mode: Off

White Balance
R-Gain: -6
G-Gain: -6
B-Gain: -2
R-Bias: +1
G-Bias: 0
B-Bias: -1

The Motionflow and CineMotion settings are your own preference. However, my settings don't give SOE (Soap Opera Effect), just increases the resolution during motion but doesn't interpolate frames. If you want SOE, change Auto 2 to Auto 1.
danbfree and smokinglegges like this.

Current HT setup:

Samsung UN65F6300 65" LCD HDTV, Polk CS20 Center, 2x Polk Monitor 75T Fronts, 2x Polk TSI300 Backs, Polk PSW110 Subwoofer.

post #7 of 173 Old 01-02-2013, 03:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
After reading reviews for the 60EX645 on all of the usual web sites and then reading the reviews by actual owners, it seems to me that there is a greater discrepancy than usual over how good the picture actually is on this set. Most professional reviews give the TV just a mediocre grade while most owners love the picture. I know the professional reviews can get pretty picky. That's their job. It just makes it more difficult to make a buying decision when there is this big difference of opinion.
post #8 of 173 Old 01-02-2013, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBetaGuy View Post

It just makes it more difficult to make a buying decision when there is this big difference of opinion.
I guess it's one of those "You have to see it with your own eyes" things.

I don't trust a lot of reviews because, well, LCD HDTV makers are still doing panel lotteries as well.

For example, the 60" EX645 I picked up yesterday appears to have a Sharp panel. I think Samsung also makes 60" panels, so I could have just as well gotten one of those since Sony sometimes uses Samsung panels too.

The panel maker has a huge impact on the picture quality, detail, off angle viewing and more...

I will say, though, my picture was nice (but not accurate) out of the box. After the calibration I did on it with the Sharp panel, I'm very pleased with the picture of this Sony TV and can finally relax and just enjoy viewing! Watched 2 movies last night, played a game or two for a few minutes, and had no complaints whatsoever. smile.gif

Current HT setup:

Samsung UN65F6300 65" LCD HDTV, Polk CS20 Center, 2x Polk Monitor 75T Fronts, 2x Polk TSI300 Backs, Polk PSW110 Subwoofer.

post #9 of 173 Old 01-04-2013, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Sodaboy, I picked up this set on New Years day after my Vizio 60" that I bought it early November went out. Brought it back to Costco. I really like the picture of the Sony, despite some of the pro reviews. I'm going to try your calibrated settings. I use OTA input and HDMI from my PS3 for Blu-Ray and some streaming from Hulu Plus and Netflix wired 20Mbps internet connection. What input are your calibrated settings using? With what instrument did you calibrate the set with? And lastly, how do you tell what lcd panel the tv is using?

Thanks!
post #10 of 173 Old 01-04-2013, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bley View Post

Sodaboy, I picked up this set on New Years day after my Vizio 60" that I bought it early November went out. Brought it back to Costco. I really like the picture of the Sony, despite some of the pro reviews. I'm going to try your calibrated settings. I use OTA input and HDMI from my PS3 for Blu-Ray and some streaming from Hulu Plus and Netflix wired 20Mbps internet connection. What input are your calibrated settings using? With what instrument did you calibrate the set with? And lastly, how do you tell what lcd panel the tv is using?
Thanks!
If you're using the Netflix interface that's built into the TV, I don't think it uses calibrated settings. You can't even configure the settings for that.

The inputs I use my calibrated settings on are TV and HDMI 1. (HDMI 1 has my PC, XBox360 and PS3 connected to it through an AVR.)

I used an i1Display Pro, PS3, AVSHD 709 AVCHD disc, and ColorHCFR to calibrate my TV.

To find the LCD panel, press Left, Right, Mute, Enter, Mute, Menu to enter the Service Menu. Panel type is listed at the bottom. Mine says Sharp something something. (At work now and can't say the EXACT text.)

I've updated my calibrated settings, just a smidge, since I last posted. Here are the new ones...

Picture Settings
Backlight: 4
Picture: 93
Color: 44
Hue: G4
Color Temperature: Warm 2

Advanced Settings

White Balance
R-Gain: -6
G-Gain: -5
B-Gain: 0
R-Bias: 0

I also did some "calibrated" settings for Warm 1 as well. I put calibrated in quotes because the standard is to do a calibration in Warm 2, which is 6500K. Warm 1, after "calibration" is 7500K. Sometimes, I prefer a slightly cooler temperature for Japanese animation and some video games.

If you want those settings, I can post those as well.
danbfree likes this.

Current HT setup:

post #11 of 173 Old 01-04-2013, 10:38 AM

Is the screen on this matte or semi-matte? I'm looking to get a smart tv, replacing my 60" ex500. I like the picture of the hx850, but it is too glossy and only goes to 55". I also like some of the Samsungs, but again, the 7100 and 8000 are too glossy.
post #12 of 173 Old 01-04-2013, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewdogg808 View Post

Is the screen on this matte or semi-matte?
It's definitely not glossy. I'm not sure what the difference is between matte and semi-matte, but you can see a little bit of your reflection in it.

But, still, it's SOME kind of matte... Even though I can kinda see them, the screen does a really good job at combating reflections overall, and I don't catch myself staring at myself while watching the TV.

Current HT setup:

post #13 of 173 Old 01-04-2013, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Sodaboy, Thanks for the info! Sure post your other calibrated settings. The backlight setting changed from 6 to 4 on the D65 calibration? Wow! What made you change from the initial settings? Just curious. I know it's fine to deviate and it's personal taste:)

You can calibrate the internet input. When in Netflix hit the options button and that gets you all the tools and the settings will be the same for Hulu Plus as well.

Ok, just got into factory mode and here is some info of my tv.

System FW v1.556
Picture Quality v1.0004
Panel Info SHARP_LK
Factory Version v1.500
post #14 of 173 Old 01-04-2013, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sodaboy, Thanks for the info! Sure post your other calibrated settings. The backlight setting changed from 9 to 4 on the D65 calibration? Wow! What made you change from the initial settings? Just curious. I know it's fine to deviate and it's personal taste:)
You can calibrate the internet input. When in Netflix hit the options button and that gets you all the tools and the settings will be the same for Hulu Plus as well.
Ok, just got into factory mode and here is some info of my tv.
System FW v1.556
Picture Quality v1.0004
Panel Info SHARP_LK
Factory Version v1.500

Oh, neat, I didn't know about the Options button in the Netflix. I was always hitting the Home/Menu button to get to Picture Settings. :P

I'll copy my settings to the Internet input for sure, later.

My Backlight changed to 4 to be more closer to 40 ftl for the total light output. (Because between 35-40ftl is supposedly the right amount of light output for a light controlled room for TVs as well...)

Looks like you have the Sharp panel too!

I'll post my Warm 1 / D75 calibration when I get home... At work now!!

Current HT setup:

post #15 of 173 Old 01-04-2013, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

"I'll post my Warm 1 / D75 calibration when I get home... At work now!!

I understand. Have fun at work surfing AVS Forums. wink.gifbiggrin.gif
post #16 of 173 Old 01-04-2013, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodaboy581 View Post

It's definitely not glossy. I'm not sure what the difference is between matte and semi-matte, but you can see a little bit of your reflection in it.
But, still, it's SOME kind of matte... Even though I can kinda see them, the screen does a really good job at combating reflections overall, and I don't catch myself staring at myself while watching the TV.

Awesome, thanks for the input.
post #17 of 173 Old 01-04-2013, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

As promised! My "Warm 1" settings! (Not a "true" calibration since I didn't use Warm 2 for this one... calibrated the gray scale and what not anyway. smile.gif) This is for those who want a slightly cooler picture...

Picture Settings
Backlight: 5
Picture: 91
Color: 45
Hue: G2
Color Temperature: Warm 1

Advanced Settings

White Balance
R-Gain: 0
G-Gain: 0
B-Gain: -9
R-Bias: +1

Edit: Also, this is a 50 ftl calibration, not 40 ftl.

Current HT setup:

post #18 of 173 Old 01-04-2013, 05:17 PM

Okay, here's probably a dumb question for you but it has me confused at least!

My wife bought me this TV (55 actually) as an LED TV, which the box stated it was, but all literature I received with it as well as that "L, R, Mute, Enter, Mute, Menu" trick to find out what panel you have seems to indicate it's an LCD TV.

So which is it?

And what panel do I have if it says Panel Info: SLCDP255

Thanks. And I'm interested in trying some of these custom settings posted. I find the factory settings to have way too much white and am surprised Backlight is maxed out from the factory.
post #19 of 173 Old 01-04-2013, 06:04 PM

I also find it curious that the custom settings listed above and the ones listed in the thread mentioned in post #2 here differ so greatly.

Backlight preferences range from Min to 4 to 9! That's quite a spread. And White Balance settings are all over the map.
post #20 of 173 Old 01-04-2013, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
HFD, the way LED backlit tv's are marketed has caused this confusion and IMO should constitute as misleading or false advertising. All current "LED" televisions out there, with the exception of upcoming OLED and prototype full LED tv's, really are regular LCD televisions that have replaced the old CCFL backlight with either a full panel or edge-lit LED backlight. The LEDs in the television merely provide the light; the actual image is still LCD matrix.

post #21 of 173 Old 01-04-2013, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

HFD, you have to remember that post #2 was talking about calibration for a 55" and we are dealing with the 60" in the last several posts in this thread. Difference? You bet! Even among multiple KDL60's there can be a variance but, it gives a close proximity.

As already been said by eapleitez, you have and LCD/LED tv. A liquid crystal display with Light Emitting Diodes for the back lighting. Even more specific, Edge Lit, meaning Light Emitting Diodes around the perimeter of the screen with light guides to light the center of the panel. smile.gif

Thanks for the "warm 1" settings Sodaboy!
post #22 of 173 Old 01-04-2013, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFDFireFighter View Post

I also find it curious that the custom settings listed above and the ones listed in the thread mentioned in post #2 here differ so greatly.
Backlight preferences range from Min to 4 to 9! That's quite a spread. And White Balance settings are all over the map.

Also, the CNET calibration settings from which that post was taken from (See: http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_102-571696/sony-kdl-46ex640-picture-settings ) were actually for a 46" EX640.

Different panel size and different panel maker can result in different efforts to reach the same light level and perfect gray scale. The 46" was probably a Samsung PVA panel (Don't know if Sharp makes 46" ones) or some other brand.

CNET does their calibration to reach 40 ftl, and in my backlight 4 calibration for my 60", it is also 40 ftl.

Current HT setup:

post #23 of 173 Old 01-05-2013, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Sodaboy, on your warm1 D75 settings With backlight at 5 is that still a 30-40ft lamberts light output? So, if I knock the backlight down to 2 or 3 that will probably mess up the colors and greyscale again correct? It took a while to get used to the D65 calibration settings but, I like it. I watched a few Blu-Ray discs and Netflix from the PS3 App. I like the the D75 mode for the bright sunny daytime like today but, it still seems a little to bright that's why I was wondering. Thanks, Tom
post #24 of 173 Old 01-05-2013, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sodaboy, on your warm1 D75 settings With backlight at 5 is that still a 30-40ft lamberts light output? So, if I knock the backlight down to 2 or 3 that will probably mess up the colors and greyscale again correct?

Hehe, nope, you caught me. ;D It's about 45 ftL for the Warm 1 one. Remember I said I made it for games and animations.. I usually like those a bit brighter.

If you want, I can lower the backlight and re-check. It doesn't take very long. Just have to wait for the meter to warm up, lower the BL, and recheck.

Current HT setup:

post #25 of 173 Old 01-05-2013, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, could you please check? Whenever you have time, no big hurry. Thanks!
post #26 of 173 Old 01-05-2013, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

OK, I'll do it in about half an hour. smile.gif

Current HT setup:

post #27 of 173 Old 01-05-2013, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Alrighty, all done. Here are the settings for "Warm 1" with 39.9 ftl

Picture Settings
Backlight: 2
Picture: 93
Color: 45
Hue: G2
Color Temperature: Warm 1
Motionflow: Standard (Your Preference)
CineMotion: Auto 2 (Your Preference)

Advanced Settings

White Balance
R-Gain: 0
G-Gain: 0
B-Gain: -10
R-Bias: 0

If you want to see calibration graphs and measures: http://www.vengefulsoda.com/60ex645/

Oh, and also, my old Warm 1 was actually 50 ftl -_-; I thought I was going for 45 ftl before, but I just remembered I changed my mind and went for 50 ftl before. Confirmed by doing readings on my old calibration. :P

Current HT setup:

post #28 of 173 Old 01-05-2013, 09:55 AM

Thanks for all of the responses.

So with my 55", is it not a good idea to follow the settings listed here or in the other thread because of the differences in panel size?

Also, is it conceivable that the picture on my old Grand Wega rear projection LCD (KF42WE610) was 'better'/crisper? I actually don't find this HD as clear. And a fast moving puck in hockey games gets really weird.

If it's possible for someone to post ideal picture settings for my KDL55EX645 it would be greatly appreaciated.

Thanks again.
post #29 of 173 Old 01-05-2013, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFDFireFighter View Post

So with my 55", is it not a good idea to follow the settings listed here or in the other thread because of the differences in panel size?

It's actually panel size, type AND factory variances. Even if you have the same panel size and type, the factory calibration of the white balance and color could be different as well as just how the panel behaves in general.

If panel size and type match, though, other user's calibrated settings can be a great starting point if not already there (if you're lucky!)

Current HT setup:

post #30 of 173 Old 01-05-2013, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I would like your opinions of some TV’s I am considering. I originally was considering the Sony 55 HX850 but have become concerned of the cost of it ($2000). I am coming from an 8 year old Sony plasma and want to go to an LED TV. Newer technologies will be coming and am concerned about investing too much money on a technology what will be obsolete real soon like(OLED, 4k resolution etc). Also the price of this set has not been discounted as much as I expected, Sony's new policies.. The other sets I have been considering at lower price points are the Vizio E601I-A3 ($999), the Sony KDL60EX645 ($1499) and Sony KDL55HX750 ($1499). But I an concerned with the over quality of black level, black uniformity and off axis viewing of these compared to the Sony 55HX850.
Unfortunately I cannot view these sets in order to compare them and I am looking for suggestions on a direction to go in. Should I wait for the new 2013 tv since they are around they will be released soon?
I would appreciate comments. Thanks for the help.

Tony
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony 60 Inch Kdl60ex645 , Sony , Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page