HELP!!! Please? White Clipping (WTW): Samsung UN40ES6580F - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 12-10-2012, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all, very new to the whole TV calibration scene and just bought me a new Samsung UN40ES6580F. For a whole week now I have been trying to get the picture to look good. Can't. My 3 year old Vizio looks better. It always looks cloudy or hazy. To get the cloudiness to go away, I have to turn the brightness down so much that it becomes too dark to enjoy.

I downloaded AVSHD 709 in the MP4 format due to not having a DVD burner. When I do the white clipping section, I don't see any flashing from 232 on up. Shouldn't I be able to, with this TV, go beyond Reference White (235) and bring it back down to 235? Is this my issue with cloudiness or haziness of the picture?

I ran this pattern from My PS3 through an Onkyo receiver (HT-R591). To eliminate the receiver as being the culprit, I ran straight from the PS3 to the TV. I then also tried different HDMI cables and different inputs on the TV.

Should I return the TV, or am I missing something?

Thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-10-2012, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Bump.

I searched the forum for similar stories. I found nothing. I even read the entire 6500 series thread.

Can someone help me or point me in a direction. I don't have much longer on being able to return the TV.

Thanks in advance.
post #3 of 10 Old 12-12-2012, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter

One question, I have been doing more research and it seems that LED LCD's have whiter/brighter whites than a normal LCD. Is this true and is this why I am not liking this TV. Sunlight coming in through windows or lights seem overly bright on this TV. Also, the white cliping test, all I get is 3 bars flashing and that does not change no matter where I put the contrast setting, all the way up or all the way down, it just dims or brightens the picture. No change in the flashing bars. So please, can someone say yes there is a problem or no, that is just how LED TV's are.
post #4 of 10 Old 12-12-2012, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 43
if you want a calibration settings for your tv, hire a professional to calibrate your tv. there is no way you can used other peoples settings even though you have the same set or tv model.

Panasonic 60VT60
Energy RC 70 fronts
Energy RC LCR center
Energy RC LCR surrounds
Rythmik LV12R and Mirage Omni 12 subwoofers
Denon 2112CI
post #5 of 10 Old 12-12-2012, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

I am looking for an answer on the white clipping problem I am encountering. Brightness/Contrast settings. I don't think I need a pro for those two items. Besides, I live in a small mountian town in Colorado and any pro would have to drive 1.5 hours to get to my house, so that really isn't an option. Colors are fine, just the overly bright whites is all I am concerned with.
post #6 of 10 Old 12-12-2012, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
you should be able to see the upper white levels on that pattern. reduce the contrast and see if that lets you see the upper levels. sometimes other setting will clip white. On my 8470 sharp, "expanded color gamut" will cause white to clip.
so to start, turn off any "enhancement" type features and see if you can get control over white level.
post #7 of 10 Old 12-13-2012, 04:59 AM - Thread Starter

Greeno, thanks for a real reply! I believe I have figured out the problem. Now just getting the colors right. I know I said the colors were fine, but I was overly concerned about the bright whites that I didn't notice them. Last night I watched "Thats My Boy" and colors were a little off. Maybe I need to invest in a colorimeter and finally have a real setup. Or mess with it for days on end till I like it. LOL...
post #8 of 10 Old 12-29-2012, 07:41 PM

Can you post your settings?
post #9 of 10 Old 01-01-2013, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

I bought myself the 3C colorimeter/CalMan 5 bundle from Spectral Cal. All is good now. Love the picture...
post #10 of 10 Old 01-01-2013, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

dc2royce, were you wanting to help and that is why you wanted my setting or did you want the settings for your self to see if it helps you? My Clipping problem was due to the settings within the PS3. In the Video Settings there is the "BD/DVD - Video Output Format (HDMI)." I had that set to RGB. I changed that to Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr and that fixed the white clipping problem.

Anyway, here are the settings after the C3 Calibration with CalMan 5.

Picture Mode: Movie
Backlight: 14
Contrast: 100
Brightness: 45
Sharpness: 20
Color: 48
Tint: 50/50
Screen Adjustment: 16:9 or Screen Fit

Advanced Settings
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Black Tone: Off
Flesh Tone: 0