Sharp LC-70LE845U Calibration, including 3D! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 62 Old 12-11-2012, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Tested on many sources in many lighting conditions: (UPDATED 02/09/14)

2D:

AV Mode: (Standard)
OPC: (On)
Backlight: (-4)
Contrast: (+24)
Brightness: (+1)
Color: (-2)
Tint: (0)
Sharpness (+10)

CMS Hue: All (0) except Cyan (+12)
CMS Saturation: R: (-9), Y: (0), G: (-16), C: (+30), B: (-5), M: (0)
CMS Value: All (0) except C: (-11), B: (+10)

Color Temperature -- (Low)

10 Point: ON:

Position
1: R: (-30), G: (+30), B: (+30)
2: R: (-13), G: (+30), B: (+30)
3: R: (-10), G: (+30), B: (+30)
4: R: (-3), G: (+30), B: (+30)
5: R: (-8), G: (+30), B: (+30)
6: R: (-3), G: (+30), B: (+30)
7: R: (-8), G: (+30), B: (+30)
8: R: (-7), G: (+16), B: (+10)
9: R: (-3), G: (+12), B: (+25)
10: R: (-5), G: (0), B: (0)

Motion Enhancement: (120 High)
Active Contrast: (OFF)
Gamma: (0)
Film Mode: (Advanced +10)
Digital Noise Reduction: (OFF)
Monochrome: (OFF)
Range of OPC: (Max +16, Min 0)

3D:

AV Mode: (STANDARD)

OPC: (OFF)

Backlight: (-2)

3D Brightness Boost (MIDDLE)

Contrast: (+33)
Brightness: (+4)
Color: (+2)
Tint: (0)
Sharpness: (+2)

CMS Hue: (ALL 0)

CMS Saturation:

R: (-17)
Y: (0)
G: (-16)
C: (0)
B: (0)
M: (0)

CMS Value:

R: (-20)
Y: (0)
G: (-20)
C: (0)
B: (0)
M: (0)

Color Temperature: (HIGH)

10-Point Color Temperature: (ON)

Position 1: R(0), G(0), B(0)
2: R(-16), G(+16), B(0)
3: R(-16), G(+11), B(0)
4: R(-11), G(+7), B(0)
5: R(-15), G+8), B(0)
6: R(-16), G(+9), B(0)
7: R(-16), G(+14), B(0)
8: R(-13), G(+13), B(-8)
9: R(-13), G(+9), B(-13)
10: R(-19), G(0), B(-22)

Active Contrast: (ON)

Gamma: (0)

Film Mode: (Advanced)

DNR: (Middle)

Each setting is warm in the highlights, with sunny yellow predominating rather than red.
There is little to no clipping in colors or whites, but plenty of 'pop'.
I reverted to 'Standard' mode because the 10-Point calibration is accessible there.
It tends to have more pop to it than my previously preferred 'User' mode.

Results may vary and are worth at least what you paid for them...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 Old 12-11-2012, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I should add that this is a re-calibration after 6 months of ownership.
There are threads discussing the color and brightness shifts that occur with usage with white LEDs.
I've used my set about 5 hours a day, on average, with the backlight at 50% or less, on average.
I don't detect any brightness or color shift that can't be corrected in the 10 -point color temperature control,
the CMS controls and the backlight. It's still very bright and very evenly illuminated. I feel lucky after so
much of what I read about flashlighting, dirty screen effect, clouding. I had tried to turn up the brightness
on the 3D settings, but found that it lead to artifacts. That system is deliberately very 'contrasty' with the
mid-tones squelched. I've watched several 3D films with this new setting and like it very much. The factory
settings for the motion controls were respected. 3D works better with Soap Opera Effect, apparently!
post #3 of 62 Old 12-16-2012, 09:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
When you state that you turned Motion "off", what hz setting is the tv operating in? The Sharp website states that the tv has a native 240 Hz display. But there are options for 240 Hz and for "off". So what exactly does turning off Motion do?
post #4 of 62 Old 12-16-2012, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I saw no benefit from the function and prefer to operate the TV closer to 'native' mode.
Most observers see no advantage and no change till you get to the most extreme setting, where the picture darkens considerably.

In other news --
I made a change in the white balance:
The #9 step in the Red Drive on the 10-point color balance was changed from -30 (minimum) to -25, and Green reduced from +20 to +15 to remove occasional green tinge in highlights.
I tried more than this and it caused flesh tones to become less natural and more 'clay-faced' or orange. It's the right amount to correct without creating a new problem...
post #5 of 62 Old 12-16-2012, 12:41 PM

Liked: 11
Johnfull, do you see any reason why your settings would not be just as excellent a set up for my 847. Thanks.
post #6 of 62 Old 12-16-2012, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Try! You can always re-set. The 847 is distinguished by the Quad Pixel that most reviewers think is worse than useless. Turn it off.
The basic setup of white balance and colors may be very similar. You could use the settings as a starting point and use common sense
to make slight changes. One user wanted a brighter picture, so I suggested either more Contrast for brighter highlights or higher Gamma
for higher mid-tone values. I haven't heard if that was sufficient to customize. These settings work for me under all conditions I've encounted...
post #7 of 62 Old 12-18-2012, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Looks very very good -- more of an art than an exact science -- the colors will never track in a completely linear way. Maybe in a perfect world...
post #8 of 62 Old 12-18-2012, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfull View Post

Try! You can always re-set. The 847 is distinguished by the Quad Pixel that most reviewers think is worse than useless. Turn it off.

Hi John, what is the issue with quad pixel? The yellow pixel was one of the deciding factors in me purchasing my 847. How do you turn it off? Thanks

****edit**** Never mind about the where to turn off the quad pixel. I haven't fooled around the settings much. I assumed it was something that was always on but I see now. And I just read the cnet review of the 847 linked on the main 847 forum. They say the quad pixel doesn't make it better or worst.
post #9 of 62 Old 12-18-2012, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quattron is different from Quad Pixel. My 845U is a Quattron 3D, but doesn't have the Quad Pixel interpolation cicuitry.
The reviews I've read say it is supposed to make diagonal lines smoother -- an issue I have NEVER had at proper viewing distance.
The Quad Pixel interpolates and dithers to smooth the line, but critics say it introduces artifacts similar to what a poor Sharpness control does.
I think the 847 does have the ability to turn the feature off. I've heard that 847 adjustments don't correspond to 845, so beware of using
my settings if you have the 847. Maybe it's a starting point. Maybe not...
post #10 of 62 Old 12-18-2012, 08:36 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfull View Post

Quattron is different from Quad Pixel. My 845U is a Quattron 3D, but doesn't have the Quad Pixel interpolation cicuitry.
The reviews I've read say it is supposed to make diagonal lines smoother -- an issue I have NEVER had at proper viewing distance.
The Quad Pixel interpolates and dithers to smooth the line, but critics say it introduces artifacts similar to what a poor Sharpness control does.
I think the 847 does have the ability to turn the feature off. I've heard that 847 adjustments don't correspond to 845, so beware of using
my settings if you have the 847. Maybe it's a starting point. Maybe not...
Thanks for clearing that up for me. I didn't realize there was a difference between the 847 & 845. I thought it was the same model sold by different stores.
post #11 of 62 Old 12-19-2012, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I wonder what the latest update from Sharp was all about? Mine installed successfully...

Found it:

This firmware adds Facebook, Twitter, Pandora, Flickr, Picasa, Rhapsody as well as several new games to the Smart Central Apps.

This firmware also contains all previous fixes and enhancements.

Version: 407U1212101

Date: 12/19/2012

http://www.sharpusa.com/CustomerSupport/ProductDownloads.aspx?model=LC-70C8470U
post #12 of 62 Old 12-28-2012, 06:19 PM

I had my sharp 70-LE845u professionally calibrated yesterday, and it looks great.

Here are the settings that it ended at

AV mode User 1

OPC Off

Backlight +10
Contrast. +21
Brightness +2
Color -8
Tint. +3
Sharpness -1

CMS. Hue. All at 0
CMS saturation. All at 0
CMS Value. All at 0

Color temp Low

10 point setting is not available

R Gain(lo). +8
G Gain(lo). 0
B Gain(lo). -14
R Gain(high) +14
G Gain(high) +1
B GAin(high) -19

Motion enchancement off
Active Contrast Off
Gamma Adjustment -2
Film Mode advanced +7
Digital Noise Reduction Auto
Monochrome off
Range of OPC
Max +16
Min -16
post #13 of 62 Old 12-29-2012, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Very interesting! Seems like that would be a very warm picture if you are starting from LOW color temp and then adding even more red. On top of that, you're cranking the TINT toward red!
Also, you have the GAMMA set extremely contrasty and then compensating with tons of backlight. Don't you get a lot of washed out black at that high of a backlight setting?
At least we agree on reducing the Blue Drive in the color temperature settings -- the white LEDs are very heavy on the blue.
I'm glad you are happy with that setting. I don't think I would use it for fear of burning up the yellow phosphor on the LEDs prematurely...
post #14 of 62 Old 01-07-2013, 12:00 PM

johnfull, thanks for your 10 point settings from your other thread. My set still tilted towards blue with too much edge enhancement.

I just had my lc-70le845u professionally calibrated over the weekend. Movie mode 10 point settings with motion enhancement turned off.

The calibrator ran into some difficulties with "blue" as the blue rectangle on the screen would fade to really dim while calibrating. Not sure what he did to resolve the issue, but after calibration, apparently grayscale was very accurate and all colors except for green luminance were within the proper spec. The green luminance was not that far off though.
post #15 of 62 Old 01-08-2013, 02:14 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Congratulations!
The settings at the top of this page are a better set of calibrations than my originals on 'Overcoming The Blues' by far.
I've started with a warmer setting and then aggressively removed the objectionable red -- much easier than removing the blue from the cool setting.
As an experiment, you could always set the Standard Mode to the settings up top here and compare them with your calibrated Movie Mode settings.
You should write down the calibrations you received in case you ever have to do a factory reset.
When I worked with Movie Mode, I found the dynamics to be too weak for everyday viewing. The Standard Mode seems snappier, if not as accurate.
A good BluRay source in a darkened room is quite different from Wolf Blitzer off the Dish Network Satellite (thank goodness!), which is where Standare Mode shines.
Thanks for the feedback. Did the calibrator give an estimate of the number of hours you will get before the color drifts a bit?...
post #16 of 62 Old 01-10-2013, 02:28 PM

I finally got to check and your revised settings (in standard mode) are what I was using before calibration. On my set at least, the picture was skewing towards blue and appeared to have too much sharpness or edge enhancement with those settings. The calibrator did provide me with my pre and post calibration settings for 2D and 3D on pdf's. He used CalMan 4 calibration software. Not sure what model the calibration device was, but I think he had stated it was a new model. For the color drift, I'll have to ask him that question.

My only gripe right now may be the ghosting/crosstalk on the several 3D blu-rays that I've watched recently. I also have a Samsung 3D plasma and never had the issue. I'm going to have to compare those same discs though when I get a chance.
post #17 of 62 Old 01-10-2013, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the feedback!
I shove the Sharpness all the way to maximum because there are so few artifacts relative to my perception of detail.
As for the blue, I thought I had tamed the blue in favor of a slightly green top end. Once in a while, blond hair with strong light on it gets greenish highlights.
When I switch to Monochrome, there is no excess green in the highlight, so that is something in the chroma circuit and less objectionable than blue highlights.
Sharpness can be turned down to suit taste. Blue can be opened in the CMS and the Value and Brightness adjusted to reduce perceived blue push.
The reason I left blue alone is because the LED light doesn't clip in the blue like it does in the green and red. There is blue to spare, so I just left it alone.
For 3D, I found that the factory setting for most things was essential to keep the ghosting to a minimum. I tried to make it less contrasty, but that created ghosts.
I did balance the 10 point white for the 3D, but left the other picture controls alone, with the exception of turning off the Active Contrast.
The main thing I like is the vibrancy of skintones with accuracy in all colors (blue might be a little strong, but doesn't clip).
It's a starting point and is easy to customize. Standard will never be as accurate as Movie, but it economizes on the LED usage, which I like, and less backlight leakage...
post #18 of 62 Old 02-01-2013, 06:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
John,

In your 2D settings, you show the Backlight setting at -4 but OPC is on. Since the OPC range of backlight is set at +16 max and 0 min then the first Backlight setting of -4 has no impact, correct?

Do you use the -4 when OPC is turned off?
post #19 of 62 Old 02-01-2013, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The OPC only activates when there is ambient light. My settings are optimized for a dark environment.
Experience has shown that it is much more desirable to add light/contrast with increasing need than to reduce from optimal.
I watch movies in darkness and wanted the optimum setting for those. Broadcast TV is watched in all manner of daylight and artificial illumination.
The whites clip a bit when the OPC kicks in, but it is minimal and the added contrast is very welcome.
Putting the minimum OPC below 0 makes for a muddy picture, in my experience...
post #20 of 62 Old 02-01-2013, 08:18 AM

Thanks for the thorough explanation. So, if you are watching a movie in complete darkness, the OPC does not kick in and your backlight would be at -4

Is that basically how you would describe the functionioning of your set up?
post #21 of 62 Old 02-01-2013, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

In complete darkness, it's as if the OPC is not on. The settings will be what was input for contrast, backlight, and whatever other parameters are affected.
I'd have to go back and read my settings -- if -4 is what I settled on, then that is what a dark room is using. Blacks are quite good and highlights are plenty bright...
post #22 of 62 Old 02-08-2013, 06:50 AM

John,

I think your 2D standard mode settings looks really good and there is lots of "pop" but everything is just a llitle bit too blue for me.

What would be the best way to decrease the overall bluish tinge? Would it be best to decrease the blue in the 10 pt settings or through the Value setting in the normal CMS?

Your thoughts are much appreciated!
post #23 of 62 Old 02-09-2013, 04:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Go into the CMS and turn down the Blue values -- tinker with the intensity and the brightness to get what you want.
I deliberately left the blue alone because it doesn't clip the way red and green do.
You are correct!
post #24 of 62 Old 02-11-2013, 07:29 AM

John,

I decreased the blue saturation to -8 and the blue value to -10 in the CMS which has toned down the blue. I am really loving the picture after these adjustments to the blue. BTW.....what clalibration disc or tools did you use to get these settings?

Thanks again for your help.

-Scott
post #25 of 62 Old 02-11-2013, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunWhittyRun View Post

John,

I decreased the blue saturation to -8 and the blue value to -10 in the CMS which has toned down the blue. I am really loving the picture after these adjustments to the blue. BTW.....what clalibration disc or tools did you use to get these settings?

Thanks again for your help.

-Scott

I downloaded the calibration .iso available on this site and burned it to a DVD. It is essential for the 10-point adjustment especially, as well as the clipping corrections.
post #26 of 62 Old 02-11-2013, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldturning75 View Post

johnfull, thanks for your 10 point settings from your other thread. My set still tilted towards blue with too much edge enhancement.

I just had my lc-70le845u professionally calibrated over the weekend. Movie mode 10 point settings with motion enhancement turned off.

The calibrator ran into some difficulties with "blue" as the blue rectangle on the screen would fade to really dim while calibrating. Not sure what he did to resolve the issue, but after calibration, apparently grayscale was very accurate and all colors except for green luminance were within the proper spec. The green luminance was not that far off though.
Can you post your settings?
post #27 of 62 Old 02-12-2013, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neogeosnk View Post

Can you post your settings?

I'd like to see those as well -- I'm wondering if the calibrator used the expanded gamut.
I found the Movie setting to require too much backlight.
I prefer the Standard setting for that reason alone.
All the issues of clouding and flashlighting and light bleed and premature LED failure are thus reduced...
post #28 of 62 Old 02-12-2013, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
If you use expanded gamut, you'll crush whites. There's no work around for it. So it's not recommended (by me) to use expanded gamut.
Best,
Jeff
post #29 of 62 Old 02-13-2013, 02:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeno View Post

If you use expanded gamut, you'll crush whites. There's no work around for it. So it's not recommended (by me) to use expanded gamut.
Best,
Jeff

Thanks, Jeff. I was frightened away from the Expanded Gamut by its tendency to totally alter colors. I'm sure that a professional calibrator would steer clear as well.
The Standard setting has no surprises in the Chroma area at all. Whites are pushed somewhat and finding the sweet spot in the Contrast setting to maintain facial
highlights while avoiding burn-through over a wide range of media (mostly broadcast variations) was daunting. Making the highlights 'sunny' was key for me -- the
look of strong sunlight on skin is so much preferable to blue or red (or green!) reflections. I'm so glad that LCD setup is nothing like the old CRTs, where the change
of white color affected all the colors and vice-versa. The 'drive' is simulated in LCDs and the white temperature is independent of color accuracy...
post #30 of 62 Old 03-13-2013, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The latest update installed yesterday without a hitch -- seems to be mostly for the 'smart' programs. I took a look at the apps and they are much improved and more easily accessed than before. Kudos to Sharp to continue to update and upgrade their products into the next model year...
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page