Help needed with understanding what to expect with LED edge light LCD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 12-11-2012, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Jeff D's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: One step ahead of you
Posts: 8,274
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I bit on a good price for a passive 3d LG LCD and upon opening it up I discovered one bad blue pixel which I can live with. But it seems to have another problem which is the right edge of the screen is brighter than the rest of the screen. If I put the screen to black the right edge glows, while the rest of the screen is pretty dark. I've never owned and LED LCD before and beyond the dead pixel problem don't know what to expect.

I'd like some comments on what should be acceptable for an LCD since I don't have any experience. At this point I want to swap it out, but wouldn't want to if this is "normal". Yes, this is an inexpensive set, but I still think the screen shouldn't glow on one edge with a black image. FWIW, I had already run through the "smart" picture adjustments which seems to do a simple calibration and the problem is still obvious with the brightness cut down.
Jeff D is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 Old 12-11-2012, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
skibum5000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 3,587
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff D View Post

I bit on a good price for a passive 3d LG LCD and upon opening it up I discovered one bad blue pixel which I can live with. But it seems to have another problem which is the right edge of the screen is brighter than the rest of the screen. If I put the screen to black the right edge glows, while the rest of the screen is pretty dark. I've never owned and LED LCD before and beyond the dead pixel problem don't know what to expect.
I'd like some comments on what should be acceptable for an LCD since I don't have any experience. At this point I want to swap it out, but wouldn't want to if this is "normal". Yes, this is an inexpensive set, but I still think the screen shouldn't glow on one edge with a black image. FWIW, I had already run through the "smart" picture adjustments which seems to do a simple calibration and the problem is still obvious with the brightness cut down.

I heard that most edge-LED lit LCD sets had those sorts of issues when they were first introduced and were thus considered markedly inferior PQ-wise (although marketed as the opposite). They seem to have gotten better over the last three years and now this year you can get copies of them that are pretty much free of that, although they are apparently still more prone to that than regular backlit LED or CCFL sets. I've seen edge lit sets this year that are 100% free of that.
skibum5000 is offline  
post #3 of 16 Old 12-11-2012, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Jeff D's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: One step ahead of you
Posts: 8,274
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Thanks the left, top and bottom look really good, if the right looked the same I coud say 100% fine.
I think I'm going to try another one unless others say it's not worth it.
Jeff D is offline  
post #4 of 16 Old 12-12-2012, 03:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
s2mikey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Upstate, NY
Posts: 2,533
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff D View Post

Thanks the left, top and bottom look really good, if the right looked the same I coud say 100% fine.
I think I'm going to try another one unless others say it's not worth it.

You can try another one but if you are sensitive to such uniformity issues then I doubt another one will help. What kind of TV are you coming from? That probably make s a difference too. Anyone used to plasmas will be more affected by this, I'm thinking. Edge lit LCDs just don't cut it, IMO.
s2mikey is offline  
post #5 of 16 Old 12-12-2012, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
johnfull's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,160
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Any LED TV will have backlight bleed.
Plasma's have their own artifacts.
Nothing is perfect.
Try to find a picture setting that lets you run the backlight at a lower setting.
That way, the blacks will not be washed out so much and lack of uniformity will lessen.
I have the Sharp 70" edge-lit and have been very happy running it at 40% power.
It will make the LED light sources last a lot longer, too.
My two cents...
johnfull is offline  
post #6 of 16 Old 12-12-2012, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Jeff D's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: One step ahead of you
Posts: 8,274
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikey View Post

Anyone used to plasmas will be more affected by this, I'm thinking. Edge lit LCDs just don't cut it, IMO.
You hit the nail on the head coming from a Panny 58PZ800 to 50+ inch LCD. I still haven't tried it with what really matters.. football which always shows the problems with LCDs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfull View Post

Any LED TV will have backlight bleed.
I have the Sharp 70" edge-lit and have been very happy running it at 40% power.
It will make the LED light sources last a lot longer, too.
My two cents...

Yes, I was thinking the same thing, and did run through the simple adjustments, which did bring the brightness down a bit, but not sure it was much different than 50%.
Jeff D is offline  
post #7 of 16 Old 12-13-2012, 05:51 AM
Senior Member
 
RiverSide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 422
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff D View Post

You hit the nail on the head coming from a Panny 58PZ800 to 50+ inch LCD. I still haven't tried it with what really matters.. football which always shows the problems with LCDs.
Yes, I was thinking the same thing, and did run through the simple adjustments, which did bring the brightness down a bit, but not sure it was much different than 50%.

what matters is regular viewing, not the screen that comes up while you're changing inputs.. Almost all LED TV's switch to some different settings during that time which just blasts the backlight.. once you select an input and have set an optimum backlight setting for that input, there should be NO light bleed of any sort in any corners. If there is, even after playing around with settings, then you may have a bad panel and it should be replaced.

Insert pithy comment here
RiverSide is offline  
post #8 of 16 Old 12-13-2012, 07:25 AM
Member
 
badchad65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
It's hard to determine what is "normal", because the subtle light bleed is not visible in stores, and usually only apparent on very dark screens.

I have some minor clouding on my Sharp, and it's only noticeable on very dark screens or when no content is being displayed. I'm convinced casual viewers wouldn't notice. I'll live with it until I switch over to a full-array or locally dimmable model.

Polk Fronts: RTi A7's
Polk Center: CSi A6
Polk Surrounds: FXi A6's
Polk Rear Surround: RTi4
Sub: HSU VTF-3 (MK1)
AVR: Yamaha RX-A2010
B&K Reference 200.7
TV: Sharp LC-70LE847U
badchad65 is offline  
post #9 of 16 Old 12-16-2012, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Jeff D's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: One step ahead of you
Posts: 8,274
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Yeah, I can understand how the local enviroment plays a difference. For example in a bright room any edge bleed may not be obvious or distracting, but in a dimmly lit room it may be all you see. I did get a reaplacment which was shipped, and arrived with the a bowed frame along the top edge. I was surprised to see the set still powered on, but it will be going back. I powered it on only to check the edges and they all looked better than the first set.
Jeff D is offline  
post #10 of 16 Old 12-21-2012, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Jeff D's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: One step ahead of you
Posts: 8,274
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Four, yes four TVs later (this first one and 3 replacements, 2 of which were destroyed by Fedex including the curved frame) the fourth one was delivered to a store where I picked it up. Not only was the "bright side" gone, but this set has no bad pixels (a first). Hooked up and watched my daughter's Tinkerbell 3D she got for her birthday last friday. It was a while to get the set and sony blu player to display correctly (kept getting the shadowed display) but when correct the pictured looked pretty good, ok really good. I was impressed especially by 55" 3D TV for <$1000.

Thanks for the adivce guys, this was worth the extra effort.
Jeff D is offline  
post #11 of 16 Old 12-22-2012, 04:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
s2mikey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Upstate, NY
Posts: 2,533
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverSide View Post

what matters is regular viewing, not the screen that comes up while you're changing inputs.. Almost all LED TV's switch to some different settings during that time which just blasts the backlight.. once you select an input and have set an optimum backlight setting for that input, there should be NO light bleed of any sort in any corners. If there is, even after playing around with settings, then you may have a bad panel and it should be replaced.

Light bleed would be totally unacceptable. We are talking about light uniformity and edge lighting problems. On dark scenes, I still see quite a bit of uneven backlighting and hat not. Just having trouble with this. That's why I staying on the sidelines for now.
s2mikey is offline  
post #12 of 16 Old 12-22-2012, 06:05 AM
Senior Member
 
RiverSide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 422
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikey View Post

Light bleed would be totally unacceptable. We are talking about light uniformity and edge lighting problems. On dark scenes, I still see quite a bit of uneven backlighting and hat not. Just having trouble with this. That's why I staying on the sidelines for now.

If the TV allows, settings should be able to reduce or eliminate such issues. Here's an example I posted in another thread. Edge-lit LG LM7200, dark room.


Insert pithy comment here
RiverSide is offline  
post #13 of 16 Old 12-22-2012, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Jeff D's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: One step ahead of you
Posts: 8,274
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverSide View Post

If the TV allows, settings should be able to reduce or eliminate such issues. Here's an example I posted in another thread. Edge-lit LG LM7200, dark room.

I don't know what you're trying to show there, it looks really good to me.
Jeff D is offline  
post #14 of 16 Old 12-23-2012, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
8mile13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,013
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 238
haloing/blooming



Ideally each letter looks like pic 1. In pic 2 each letter has a halo which is not good.
8mile13 is offline  
post #15 of 16 Old 12-23-2012, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
cmay91472's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff D View Post

I bit on a good price for a passive 3d LG LCD and upon opening it up I discovered one bad blue pixel which I can live with. But it seems to have another problem which is the right edge of the screen is brighter than the rest of the screen. If I put the screen to black the right edge glows, while the rest of the screen is pretty dark. I've never owned and LED LCD before and beyond the dead pixel problem don't know what to expect.

1 - Is the pixel dead, stuck or flashing? If it is dead out of the box it will most likely never come back to life as well as being a warning sign for multiple pixel failure such as a cluster or line of dead pixels that develop over time. If it is stuck or flashing, it is not as big of a concern as long as it doesnt distract you and may resolve itself over time. If is is dead, exchange if you still can. The headache of exchanging even multiple times if need be will be far less than having to put in a warranty claim for multiple pixel failure in the future.

2 - Most edge lit LEDs will suffer from some type of uniformity and or flash lighting issues. The November and December builds of the 65ES8000 has eliminated both of these issues and produces some of the best blacks of any edge lit LED on the market. Keep in mind, earlier builds from 2012 suffer from terrible uniformity and flash lighting. Also... Nov and Dec still have some minor banding, with Dec. to a lesser degree as Samsung seems to be correcting sues with each run even as production nears an end.
cmay91472 is offline  
post #16 of 16 Old 12-23-2012, 09:11 PM
Senior Member
 
RiverSide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 422
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff D View Post

I don't know what you're trying to show there, it looks really good to me.

Just wanting to share that all edge-lit models are not doomed; most can be tweaked enough to give an acceptable picture

Insert pithy comment here
RiverSide is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off