New Sharp LC-70LE845U Questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 12-12-2012, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Everyone, I'm new to Sharp TV's and to this forum.

I recently purchased the Sharp LC-70LE845U TV and although I'm very happy with the size of this TV, I'm a bit unsure now as to the quality of the picture overall. I wanted to get more perspectives on this as I've been reading some other threads regarding others "concerns" as well.

Out of the box and mounted on the wall the TV is just beautiful from an aestetic perspective for sure. Once the unit was turned on and slightly configured by Best Buy's Geek Squad it looks decent but I'm not getting that wow feeling just on standard a/v mode. Now I know that these TV's really need to be calibrated and I've still yet to do this as I'm not sure if I should do a professional calibration or get ahold of one of those calibration discs I've been reading about in the forums or simply just tweak my settings that others have posted. When I go through the different a/v modes the one that looks the best so far without any calibration is the Dynamic Fixed one. The TV is bright, crisp and clear for the most part but I'm not so sure this mode should be used as an everyday setting. I understand that it depends on the lighting inside my house too but I'm thinking that depending on what I plan to watch (i.e- blue ray, football game, xbox, etc.) then I would want to manually choose the proper a/v mode. I'm not used to having to switch something everytime I want to do something with my TV, which does seem odd to me. Just seems like for that much money the TV should look amazing for anything I wish to do.

So far when watching a football game no matter what a/v setting I have it on I get the football itself blurred when it is thrown down the field. I can't have that as it makes the whole set feel cheap to me and I'm wondering how to fix this issue or if a calibration will do that for me? I never seen that sort of thing on my 65'' Mitsubishi rear projecter TV that I just replaced and of course I'm with Direct TV for the football package. There has got to be some sort of setting that clears this up I would think.

Also, when watching certain movies, etc. it seems a bit out of focus to me or washed out as they say. Again, I'm guessing here that a good calibration would fix/clear up the picture? Sometimes as well I get the lip sync thing going on where the sound does not match the lips real god and that is driving me nuts too. I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this issue too.

My setup is as follows:

Sharp LC-70LE845U TV
Sony STR-DH520 A/V Receiver
Direct TV HR23-700 Receiver
Samsung BD-E5900 BD Player
All using HDMI cables certified for 3d

To me it seems as if I have all the proper hardware in place for a superb viewing experience but I'm just not getting that unfortunetely and I really have no idea where to start or even what I should really do to get things operating more to my liking.

Any comments, thought or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and Happy Holidays to everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-12-2012, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Definitely get the calibration disc and work from there.
Standard Mode is good for a picture that has 'pop' after calibration.
You might want to use the Motion Enhancement feature is football looks smeared.
It should be a great set when set up properly.
I'm still wondering why computers come out of the box calibrated, but TVs don't...
post #3 of 15 Old 12-12-2012, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks John for your reply. Do you know where I can get one of these calibration discs at? Also, are they pretty easy to work with? Ive never done this sort of thing before, but I'm willing to try.
post #4 of 15 Old 12-12-2012, 01:11 PM

Liked: 11
Here it is http://www.avsforum.com/t/948496/avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration. You also might want to purchase Disney WOW calibration disk.
post #5 of 15 Old 12-12-2012, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

Here are my ready-made settings that I like a lot:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1444684/sharp-lc-70le845u-calibration-including-3d
post #6 of 15 Old 12-12-2012, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
My personal preference on my set is to use movie mode. turn off film mode and any motion enhancement. for whatever reason, motion enhancement degrades motion.

I checked what I posted for settings and they're out of date. I'll repost them, if you like. I'll note that they'll not work well for your set. I did one swap and just using my old settings was way off.

Best,
jeff
post #7 of 15 Old 12-12-2012, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mine are updated -- my TV is now over 6 months old.
I leave all the enhancements turned off except for 3D mode, where I defer to the engineers of the system..
post #8 of 15 Old 12-12-2012, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the replies. I appreciate the suggestions.

For the Disney WOW Calibration disc, would you recommend this one?

http://www.amazon.com/Wow-Blu-ray-Artist-Not-Provided/dp/B00462PTDQ/ref=sr_1_fed1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1355356538&sr=1-2&keywords=disney+wow+calibration

There seems to be a few to choose from and I want to make sure I get the proper one. I'm so new to this and maybe a bit apprehensive but willing to try for sure. Also, I don't need to worry about doing damage to my TV by using this Disney WOW disc right?

Also, John I will give your settings a try later when I get home to see if that makes any difference as I figure out my next steps for this beast.

Thanks Greeno for your tips too!
post #9 of 15 Old 12-13-2012, 01:26 AM
Advanced Member

The settings are all reversible.
post #10 of 15 Old 12-13-2012, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter

That's good to know. I did try your settings John and it does look a lot better now in Standard mode, maybe still a bit darker than what I'd like but not bad at all. I cannot figure out where to go for the 3D settings though. Interesting though that we can set the settings for all of the a/v modes independently and I'm also wondering if you've done that with yours and if so do you have all of those setting to share? I would still like to do the Disney WOW calibration disc on this TV in addition to those settings and I'm still hoping someone can let me know if the below link is the one I should get as there are a few to choose from.

http://www.amazon.com/Wow-Blu-ray-Artist-Not-Provided/dp/B00462PTDQ/ref=sr_1_fed1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1355356538&sr=1-2&keywords=disney+wow+calibration

Thanks everyone!
post #11 of 15 Old 12-13-2012, 05:40 AM

Liked: 11
Personally, I really liked the Disney WOW disc (although I know some people have a much different opinion). For a beginner like myself, it worked quite well.

You'll have to tweak the settings for a bit to get it where you want, but I have my set dialed in to just about where I want it.

Polk Fronts: RTi A7's
Polk Center: CSi A6
Polk Surrounds: FXi A6's
Polk Rear Surround: RTi4
Sub: HSU VTF-3 (MK1)
AVR: Yamaha RX-A2010
B&K Reference 200.7
TV: Sharp LC-70LE847U
post #12 of 15 Old 12-13-2012, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter

Is the one I linked the one I should get then? As there are a few of them out there and I'm not sure on which one.
post #13 of 15 Old 12-13-2012, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Glad you liked the settings as a starting point.
I think the picture is a bit too 'contrasty' as well, but other members of the household held sway.
You can simply change the Gamma setting one notch to the right to get less contrast.
Try all three settings to the right to see what effect it is having and then pick the one you like.
For 3D, go to the 3D button on the remote and instruct it to change 2D --> 3D and then the menu is changed.
You won't need the glasses to read the options, but you should probably wear them if you make modifications
from the formula. All I did was clean up the whites and eliminate the clipping colors -- green, red, and white.
3D is supposed to be dark -- I tried lightening it up to see more detail, but it caused ghosting in the 3D effect.
Try the disc on this site before you go with the Disney disc. From what I've read, the AVS disc has more functionality.
The Disney disc that I saw was for some pretty basic settings rather than for calibrating. Maybe there are others?...
post #14 of 15 Old 12-13-2012, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfull View Post

Glad you liked the settings as a starting point.
I think the picture is a bit too 'contrasty' as well, but other members of the household held sway.
You can simply change the Gamma setting one notch to the right to get less contrast.
Try all three settings to the right to see what effect it is having and then pick the one you like.
For 3D, go to the 3D button on the remote and instruct it to change 2D --> 3D and then the menu is changed.
You won't need the glasses to read the options, but you should probably wear them if you make modifications
from the formula. All I did was clean up the whites and eliminate the clipping colors -- green, red, and white.
3D is supposed to be dark -- I tried lightening it up to see more detail, but it caused ghosting in the 3D effect.
Try the disc on this site before you go with the Disney disc. From what I've read, the AVS disc has more functionality.
The Disney disc that I saw was for some pretty basic settings rather than for calibrating. Maybe there are others?...

For a do it yourself calibration, I'd suggest the Spears and Munsil HD Benchmark disk.
http://www.spearsandmunsil.com/welcome.html

Did a quick search, and normally the disk is $25 - Amazon is listing it now for $195!
http://www.amazon.com/Spears-High-Definition-Benchmark-Blu-ray-Edition/dp/B001UM29OC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355417726&sr=8-1&keywords=spears+munsil+blu-ray

They are working on a new disc for March of 2013. In the meantime, to use the AVS HD disc for color calibration, a blue filter is needed.
post #15 of 15 Old 12-13-2012, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Color clipping can be addressed without a filter.
These sets clip the red and green severely.
After adjusting the value and saturation, they perform much better.
I did some trial and error to see what combination of value and saturation worked best.
Then a seat-of-the-pants period of adjustment of the primaries and secondaries in real-world viewing.
Blue is still a bit intense, but it is the least offensive to do so.
Magentas and reds no longer turn blue in their upper registers -- the most offensive phenomenon.
I'm pretty happy overall with a picture that favors yellow over pink in most flesh tones...
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page