SD viewing on LCD tv - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-18-2012, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have noticed that video in SD shows very poor resolution. I was using a Sony KP51WS520 proj tv and it had "S" video input which gets rid of most the artifacts in composite video, however it seems that most LCD TV's do not have "S" video input.
Are there any adjustments to improve the image.rolleyes.gif
Pilot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-18-2012, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
I have noticed that video in SD shows very poor resolution.

That's because it is.
Quote:
Are there any adjustments to improve the image.

Garbage in, garbage out. The only way to make your picture look better is to subscribe to HD programming. That's why you bought an HDTV in the first place right?
post #3 of 5 Old 12-18-2012, 11:41 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sitlet View Post

That's because it is. Garbage in, garbage out. The only way to make your picture look better is to subscribe to HD programming. That's why you bought an HDTV in the first place right?

While this is true. Many of the newer sets actually do a very good job of displaying SD content. When flat screens first came out, they did a horrible job of SD. And to make it worse, people would stretch out the 4:3 to 16:9 and it looked even worse. I never strech. I just leave the display to be native to the input. But again, the better TV's will do a better job with SD than a less expensive set.
post #4 of 5 Old 12-19-2012, 12:08 PM

Liked: 14
It sucks that they're getting rid of S-Video on new TVs, but when I had an LCD that had both regular and S-Video I compared the same source between the two and saw no difference, while on my old CRT there was an obvious improvement with S-Video.
post #5 of 5 Old 12-19-2012, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 126
It's not the S-Video cable that is important, but the comb filters used on the analog signal to filter the untangled luma and chroma information.

What you are really upset about is the declining quality of comb filters contained inside TVs.

Samsung 51F5300B Plasma / Vizio VP322 Plasma / Vizio GV42LF LCD / Denon 2200 Silicon Image DVD / Panasonic S97 Faroudja Genesis DVD / Oppo 970HD Mediatek DVD / Oppo 983H Anchor Bay DVD / Panasonic LX-600 Laserdisc / Aiwa MX100 Multi-region VCR / JVC S7600 S-VHS / PS2 / Roku 2 XS & HD-XR / Realistic STA-90 Reciever / Realistic Minimus 7 / Antennacraft G1483 Hoverman / Belden 7915A RG6 / Channel Master 7777 Titan 2 UHF/VHF / Panasonic AX-200u / Optoma Graywolf 92" / Draper Luma 92"
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page