Being ripped off ( I think) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 12-18-2012, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
took my 46" samsung in for vertical lines, showed the tech that when you jiggle the cable connection it goes away, but returns, BTW they offer free estimates, so I get the call, its the main board has a crack, $335 to fix, give them the go ahead and 2 days latter its fixed, now 2 days latter exactly the same problem, whats your take, I think they tried to fix the board or just BS me all the way, and tried to tighten something up etc cause it seemed like a loose connection inside, your comments, I'm pissed !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-19-2012, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Most repairs will have some type of guarantee. I'd call the shop that did the work and explain (calmly) that the repair did not fix the problem.

They may have tried to repair the board unsuccessfully, rather than replace it -which probably would have been cost prohibitive.

May just be a bad solder job that was only discovered once the set heated up from continuous use.

Give the shop a chance to make things right. If you paid for the repair with a credit card, you can try to contest the charges if they don't fix it. Even if this doesn't work, it usually gets the shop's attention by the credit card holding or withdrawing the payment until the issue is resolved.
post #3 of 10 Old 12-19-2012, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply, it was a cash sale, he is willing to re-examine the repair but I have lost faith and feel like I've been taken to the cleaners, I am going to mark the board that is in there now and take pics of the markings, one bitten twice shy and see if they say they replaced it again or just try to fix what was in there. G>
post #4 of 10 Old 12-19-2012, 08:00 AM

Liked: 11
if you plan on marking the board, I'd recommend gently asking if the plan is to replace the board.

If the guy replaced the board once, he may not do it again. He might just re-solder or position it or something.

Polk Fronts: RTi A7's
Polk Center: CSi A6
Polk Surrounds: FXi A6's
Polk Rear Surround: RTi4
Sub: HSU VTF-3 (MK1)
AVR: Yamaha RX-A2010
B&K Reference 200.7
TV: Sharp LC-70LE847U
post #5 of 10 Old 12-19-2012, 12:27 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Martin View Post

took my 46" samsung in for vertical lines, showed the tech that when you jiggle the cable connection it goes away, but returns, BTW they offer free estimates, so I get the call, its the main board has a crack, $335 to fix, give them the go ahead and 2 days latter its fixed, now 2 days latter exactly the same problem, whats your take, I think they tried to fix the board or just BS me all the way, and tried to tighten something up etc cause it seemed like a loose connection inside, your comments, I'm pissed !!!

In 30+ years of working with printed circuit boards, I've never heard of one cracking (e.g. unless abused with great forces). They are very strong, usually made of fiberglass and securely fastened.

Sounds like you have a cable/connector issue, between the Main/TCON boards or TCON/Panel (e.g. wires making poor contact to connector, connector contacts dirty/oxidized or poor solder connection between connector/board.).
post #6 of 10 Old 12-19-2012, 01:01 PM

Liked: 12
Wasn't under warranty? Damn that sucks - Depending on how old the TV was, i probably would suggest you kindly ask for your money back as they did not repair the TV and use that to purchase a newer TV, and make sure you buy an extended warranty; squaretrade offers 40% off coupons all the time, my $2100 HX850 got a 4 year warranty for $75 couple months ago.
post #7 of 10 Old 12-19-2012, 01:56 PM

Liked: 11
TV prices are falling so fast that it doesn't make sense to buy extended warranty anymore. Most credit cards extend factory warranty for another year if card was used on the purchase. I'd say if TV breaks down after 2 years just toss it or sell for parts and move on.
post #8 of 10 Old 12-19-2012, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon7 View Post

TV prices are falling so fast that it doesn't make sense to buy extended warranty anymore. Most credit cards extend factory warranty for another year if card was used on the purchase. I'd say if TV breaks down after 2 years just toss it or sell for parts and move on.

Exactly what I should have done !!!
post #9 of 10 Old 12-20-2012, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Now that the shop has your cash, and you still have a broken set, getting the successful repair that you paid for seems to be the primary objective. Don't accuse the shop, or be overly aggressive with them, even if you are frustrated.

Be polite, but firm. Keep your language in the same ballpark that you would use with your mother or grandmother.

You should expect either an effective repair for the price paid, or, a refund of the price of the unsuccessful repair.

Most businesses are not in the business of ripping off their customers. Some are better at doing their jobs than others, but even the bad ones should get a chance to fix a screw up before you allow your blood pressure to raise.

Best of luck getting a satisfactory resolution.
post #10 of 10 Old 12-20-2012, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon7 View Post

I agree, and they're a pretty good money maker, which is why they push them. Yes, if your TV croaks one day out of warranty you might wish you'd gotten one. I'll play those odds though.

I certainly thought about it when I shelled out over 2,000 bucks for my 65" LG. But like you say, I paid with a credit card. Almost one trouble-free year now, and one to go. Chances are I'll have an 84" 4k set by then for my HT and the 65" TV will be relegated to the living room.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page