post #91 of 129 Old 11-21-2013, 07:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post

Yeah that is probably true. That's one of the reasons I wanted to buy the 84" in case there would never be a Sony that large again.

I think it's far more likely that a new model is coming at CES and they don't want to put more of the current sets in the field which then need to be upgraded. 70" 1080P sets are ubiquitous now, and 80" is becoming more so. Then of course there is the 90". As we continue the transition to 4K I think we'll see more larger screen sizes, including 84", not fewer.

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 129 Old 11-29-2013, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

Still can't get audio out of HDMI 2 of the media player. I will get it for about 10 minutes and then it drops out for good. They have sent me replacements and still the same problem.
They think something is interfering with the media player in my system but don't know exactly what it is.
Will just have to use the optical out of the TV.

Maybe a setup problem ?
Is the 4K player connected via WiFi or hard wire?
Is the 4K Bravia tv connected via Wi Fi or hard wire ?
Where are you running the HDMI 2 audio cable from the player to ?
post #93 of 129 Old 11-29-2013, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestewman View Post

Maybe a setup problem ?
Is the 4K player connected via WiFi or hard wire?
Is the 4K Bravia tv connected via Wi Fi or hard wire ?
Where are you running the HDMI 2 audio cable from the player to ?

No not a setup problem, the audio worked for 20 minutes and then dropped out. I am not the only one having problems with HDMI 2 for the X1.
X1 is hardwired as well as the Sony set.
HDMI is running to my Onkyo AVR.
post #94 of 129 Old 11-29-2013, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^

I have mine setup the same except I feed the HDMI 2 audio to an Anthem D2v.
If you reboot the 4K player and /or the Onkyo does it restore the audio temporarily ?
I know this sounds silly but sometimes we might all miss one the basic steps
needed so I thought I would suggest them

When they did your update did they had you install or did they install the latest 4K player app
for the 84X900 on the Experia tablet ?
Have you checked in that 4K Player application on the Experia under Settings that HDMI 2 audio is selected ?
It might be a good idea to unselect and then reselect the audio for the HDMI 2 out setting.
Do you use any triggers to turn on or off your audio amps ?
Do you have any other items on your HDMI circuits such as repeaters,wall connectors etc ?
Have you tried a different HDMI cable ? A HDMI cable 6ft long is the preferred minimum length.

The internet feed and your wired ethernet is very important.
A friend was having the sound shut off after twenty minutes and we found it was his cable modem at fault.

After you have rechecked and done all the above.

I would recommend you disconnect every HDMi connecttion to your Onkyo and then see if the player audio remains working .
If that does not resolve the problem then start with any ethernet switches and your router.

The player apparently also has issues interacting with other devices on the ethernet LAN.
I assume you have the player and the TV on the same LAN ?
post #95 of 129 Old 12-03-2013, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

^

I have mine setup the same except I feed the HDMI 2 audio to an Anthem D2v.
If you reboot the 4K player and /or the Onkyo does it restore the audio temporarily ?
I know this sounds silly but sometimes we might all miss one the basic steps
needed so I thought I would suggest them

When they did your update did they had you install or did they install the latest 4K player app
for the 84X900 on the Experia tablet ?
Have you checked in that 4K Player application on the Experia under Settings that HDMI 2 audio is selected ?
It might be a good idea to unselect and then reselect the audio for the HDMI 2 out setting.
Do you use any triggers to turn on or off your audio amps ?
Do you have any other items on your HDMI circuits such as repeaters,wall connectors etc ?
Have you tried a different HDMI cable ? A HDMI cable 6ft long is the preferred minimum length.

The internet feed and your wired ethernet is very important.
A friend was having the sound shut off after twenty minutes and we found it was his cable modem at fault.

After you have rechecked and done all the above.

I would recommend you disconnect every HDMi connecttion to your Onkyo and then see if the player audio remains working .
If that does not resolve the problem then start with any ethernet switches and your router.

The player apparently also has issues interacting with other devices on the ethernet LAN.
I assume you have the player and the TV on the same LAN ?

Yes we tried all the above including disconnecting the HDMI that goes from the Onkyo to the set. I have gotten as far as level 3 tech support and we tried a number of things like changing cables and I even tried 2 different AVR's.
Their solution was to send me another X1 which I hooked up and got audio for about 20 min. and then it dropped out again. I have rebooted the Lan as well as run another cat5 to the X1.

Both the set and X1 or hardwired. They say they see problems with people using a Pioneer AVR or have a Directv Genie. I have neither.
I guess for now I will have to use the optical out of the set to the AVR which works. Although 2 channel my AVR can simulate 5.1.
post #96 of 129 Old 12-03-2013, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes we tried all the above including disconnecting the HDMI that goes from the Onkyo to the set. I have gotten as far as level 3 tech support and we tried a number of things like changing cables and I even tried 2 different AVR's.
Their solution was to send me another X1 which I hooked up and got audio for about 20 min. and then it dropped out again. I have rebooted the Lan as well as run another cat5 to the X1.

Both the set and X1 or hardwired. They say they see problems with people using a Pioneer AVR or have a Directv Genie. I have neither.
I guess for now I will have to use the optical out of the set to the AVR which works. Although 2 channel my AVR can simulate 5.1.

Sometimes it pays to double and triple check
So as I understand only the audio drops out there is no stutter or other indication from the 4K video playing there is a problem ?
You have two HDMi cables from the X1 4K Player ? One goes from Hdmi 1 video/Audio out on the players upper connector DIrect to the HDMI 2 upper input on the XBR ?
The second cable goes from the lower HDMI Audio Only on the X1 to your AVR for audio ?
When you start the X1 you are using the latest new 4 K app on the Xperia ?
There was a earlier Sony 4K version for the first 4K player that is still in the PlayStore. Easily confused
You get all the correct start up responses. Starting, Loading and then the library ?
And lastly.
Next time the audio drops out confirm the IP addresses.
Your router should have an ip address for each component. One for the XBR and one for the X1 player.
Then confirm the XBR internally in setup has the same address as the router and then confirm the X1 has its own and a different address in the tablet.

This has to be an X1 player problem as the audio feed does not go to the XBR.
I have not been to happy with the Sony tech response previously. They have a I know everything about the 4K attitude and they know very little.
There is also this hush hush secrecy about how everything works. They are so araid someone will find a way to copy one of the films they are paranoid about it.
The X1 should being a headless computer should be easily addressed with a USB keyboard, mouse and using the XBR for a display.
But then they would be giving you access to the Sony secrets

post #97 of 129 Old 12-03-2013, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sometimes it pays to double and triple check
So as I understand only the audio drops out there is no stutter or other indication from the 4K video playing there is a problem ?
You have two HDMi cables from the X1 4K Player ? One goes from Hdmi 1 video/Audio out on the players upper connector DIrect to the HDMI 2 upper input on the XBR ?
The second cable goes from the lower HDMI Audio Only on the X1 to your AVR for audio ?
When you start the X1 you are using the latest new 4 K app on the Xperia ?
There was a earlier Sony 4K version for the first 4K player that is still in the PlayStore. Easily confused
You get all the correct start up responses. Starting, Loading and then the library ?
And lastly.
Next time the audio drops out confirm the IP addresses.
Your router should have an ip address for each component. One for the XBR and one for the X1 player.
Then confirm the XBR internally in setup has the same address as the router and then confirm the X1 has its own and a different address in the tablet.

This has to be an X1 player problem as the audio feed does not go to the XBR.
I have not been to happy with the Sony tech response previously. They have a I know everything about the 4K attitude and they know very little.
There is also this hush hush secrecy about how everything works. They are so araid someone will find a way to copy one of the films they are paranoid about it.
The X1 should being a headless computer should be easily addressed with a USB keyboard, mouse and using the XBR for a display.
But then they would be giving you access to the Sony secrets

Yes to all the above but there is not next time the audio drops out. It only played that one time for 20 min and dropped out never to return.
I am using HDMI out of the X1 to the sony set and audio only HDMI 2 to my AVR. I should be as simple as dirt but they can seem to figure it out so they keep sending me X1's. I'm on my third and want no more.

I am using the latest version of the 4K app. I will check the IP address as you suggested next time I start it up. Maybe a software update may fix this thing in the future.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Jim
post #98 of 129 Old 12-04-2013, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes to all the above but there is not next time the audio drops out. It only played that one time for 20 min and dropped out never to return.
I am using HDMI out of the X1 to the sony set and audio only HDMI 2 to my AVR. I should be as simple as dirt but they can seem to figure it out so they keep sending me X1's. I'm on my third and want no more.

I am using the latest version of the 4K app. I will check the IP address as you suggested next time I start it up. Maybe a software update may fix this thing in the future.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Jim

So you are saying the third X! fixed the audio problem ?
If so that is good to hear. Not so good for Sony if the quality of the X1 is that bad.
I still think if they would allow access to the system they could more easily clear up or diagnose problems better.
post #99 of 129 Old 12-04-2013, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Any Sony 4K owners get to participate in the Sony 4K Experience survey ?
post #100 of 129 Old 12-04-2013, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So you are saying the third X! fixed the audio problem ?
If so that is good to hear. Not so good for Sony if the quality of the X1 is that bad.
I still think if they would allow access to the system they could more easily clear up or diagnose problems better.

No the 3rd X1 did not fix the problem. I had audio on it for about 20 mins then it dropped out for good. I don't want anymore X1's since it is a problem for my system no matter how many I get.
Right now I get audio out of the optical on my set into my AVR. I sounds OK with the simulated surround sound. I just have to wait until they get the bugs out of the first generation with hopefully a firmware fix.

You're right, they could figure it out if they decided if was a priority.
post #101 of 129 Old 12-04-2013, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^
So frustrating that Sony tech service has so many unqualified people attempting to help who have no idea what they are doing.
They are not helping their PR by operating such a poor system.
I brought that up and used your sound problem during the Sony 4K experience survey tonight
post #102 of 129 Old 12-05-2013, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

^
So frustrating that Sony tech service has so many unqualified people attempting to help who have no idea what they are doing.
They are not helping their PR by operating such a poor system.
I brought that up and used your sound problem during the Sony 4K experience survey tonight

Well I hope they get ahold of me. Love the set, it's the X1 that is the problem, that and with the high cost of renting and owning one of their movies. The prices they are asking are ridiculous.
post #103 of 129 Old 12-14-2013, 06:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked: 544
I have a problem with a XBR-84X900A I am installing. I can't get HDMI 3 (rated by Sony as a 4K input) to accept a UHD input, HDMI 2 works at UHD from the server and also works when fed UHD from a Lumagen 2041. However when the Lumagen UHD feed is moved from HDMI 2 to HDMI 3, the screen goes dark Feeding HDMI 3 1080p works fine, just like all the other inputs do. HDMI 3 appears to either not be a 4K input or is broken. Anybody have any ideas?
Is any using HDMI 3 to input UHD or 4K?

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #104 of 129 Old 12-14-2013, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

I have a problem with a XBR-84X900A I am installing. I can't get HDMI 3 (rated by Sony as a 4K input) to accept a UHD input, HDMI 2 works at UHD from the server and also works when fed UHD from a Lumagen 2041. However when the Lumagen UHD feed is moved from HDMI 2 to HDMI 3, the screen goes dark Feeding HDMI 3 1080p works fine, just like all the other inputs do. HDMI 3 appears to either not be a 4K input or is broken. Anybody have any ideas?

Mark
Tthe Sony manual states the following are on Input #3. I do not have another UHD source so I cannot check.

HDMI Input 2, & 3: 3840 × 2160p (24, 25, 30 Hz), 4096 × 2160p (24 Hz), 1080p (30, 60 Hz),1080/24p, 1080i (60 Hz), 720p (30, 60 Hz), 720/24p, 480p, 480i, PC Formats
Zenyatto likes this.
post #105 of 129 Old 12-15-2013, 04:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked: 544
Thanks but I already new that. smile.gif Its interesting that Sony doesn't differentiate between HDMI 2 and 3 in the manual. Obviously 2 has HDMI 2.2 and 3 doesn't but there are obviously more differences.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #106 of 129 Old 12-15-2013, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^

The manual is not up to date so it is useless. There are no additional controls or settings within the XBR panel setup menus. The Xperia should have no bearing on HDMi 3.
The possibility that HDMI 3 was incorrectly modified with the updated board is a possibility or maybe a change needs to be made in the service menu to reactivate HDMI 3 as it was
originally assigned as a 4K UHD connection.

Guess you will need to wait until Monday and call the Sony 4k hot line experts.
I'm interested in what you find out so please post an update here.

And I am also highly interested in your fold down mount for the panel whichI I am guessing is to move it out of the line of sight when using the FP
post #107 of 129 Old 12-21-2013, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Mark

Were you able to get HDMI 3 to accept the 4K UHD ?
post #108 of 129 Old 01-04-2014, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone heard from Sony in setting up a service call to update the hardware to HDMI 2.0? I have not heard from Sony. I know the 55" and 65" have done it through a firmware update but on ours someone has to come out and do a hardware change.

I was told before the end of the year but no contact from Sony. I imagine it has to be done to HDMI 2 or 3. I hope it's not the HDMI HDCP 2.2 I am using for the X1.
post #109 of 129 Old 01-04-2014, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks but I already new that. smile.gif Its interesting that Sony doesn't differentiate between HDMI 2 and 3 in the manual. Obviously 2 has HDMI 2.2 and 3 doesn't but there are obviously more differences.

Where did you see HDMI 2 has HDMI 2.2? As far as I know HDMI 2 only has HDCP 2.2 which was modified by Sony techs coming to my house.
post #110 of 129 Old 01-04-2014, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Has anyone heard from Sony in setting up a service call to update the hardware to HDMI 2.0? I have not heard from Sony. I know the 55" and 65" have done it through a firmware update but on ours someone has to come out and do a hardware change.

I was told before the end of the year but no contact from Sony. I imagine it has to be done to HDMI 2 or 3. I hope it's not the HDMI HDCP 2.2 I am using for the X1.

I would call the 4K tech line but am out of the U S and cannot call from here. If you could call the 4K tech line at their 800 number and see what they say and let us know
that would be grest.

Quote:

Where did you see HDMI 2 has HDMI 2.2? As far as I know HDMI 2 only has HDCP 2.2 which was modified by Sony techs coming to my house.

I believe he was trying to feed a 4K signal form a HTPC thru a Lumagen to the XBR. He would not need HDCP 2.2 but would need it to accept a 4K signal.
post #111 of 129 Old 01-08-2014, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

I called Sony level 2 tech line and it was a litle confusing but the person I talked to seems to think that when we had the HDMI 2 board switched out it made that port HDCP 2.2 and HDMI 2 compatable.
It would be HDMI 2 after the firmware update. Looking at Sony's support site I see a firmware update came down Jan. 6th, just a couple of days ago.

Right now my X1 is using HDMI 2 port so that sort of takes that space if I wanted to plug in a HDMI 2 hardware device. Evidently the other HDMI ports as still HDMI 1.4b.

Give them a call on this number and see if you can confirm what he says if you have time.
866 924 7669 This is the installers line so you can get through quickly.

Jim
post #112 of 129 Old 01-08-2014, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I can't make that call for a while.
Actually not until Feb 15 when I return home to the US
It is confusing.
Looks like maybe they only updtated 1 HDMI input connection #2
If we consider what Mark has previously stated above that he cannot get HDMI 3 to accept a 4K input signal.
It is clearly marked as 4K and it states so in the User manual.
post #113 of 129 Old 01-09-2014, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes that part doen't make sense because both HDMI 2 and 3 should accept 2160p.

Went to t he Sony site and looked at the support page for the 84" and it said there was an firmware update the 6th.

File Description UPDATE System Software Update Release Date 1/06/2014 Version PKG1.505AAF File Size 90.54 MB Download Sony has designed the BRAVIA® Televisions software update process to be customer friendly. This software update (version PKG1.505AAF) provides the following benefits:
Improvements over version PKG1.310AAF:
•Provides HDMI® 2.0 compatibility (Applies to 4K models only)
Supports 4K 60p (3840X2160p (50/59.94/60Hz) YCbCr 4:2:0 8bit, 4096X2160p (50/59.94/60Hz) YCbCr 4:2:0 8bit)

Benefits provided by previous updates and included in version PKG1.505AAF:
•Improved performance and stability of the Internet features
post #114 of 129 Old 01-09-2014, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The update assures me more that the XBR 84X900 is now a HDMI 2.0 compatible unit and able to do 4K 60P.
I'll have to wait until I have another 4K source in addition to the XMP and one without HDCP 2.2 to test it.
post #115 of 129 Old 01-09-2014, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^ Dreaux

Could you please post the web address for the Sony 4K support team
post #116 of 129 Old 01-11-2014, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

post #117 of 129 Old 03-24-2014, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I called Sony level 2 tech line and it was a litle confusing but the person I talked to seems to think that when we had the HDMI 2 board switched out it made that port HDCP 2.2 and HDMI 2 compatable.
It would be HDMI 2 after the firmware update. Looking at Sony's support site I see a firmware update came down Jan. 6th, just a couple of days ago.

Right now my X1 is using HDMI 2 port so that sort of takes that space if I wanted to plug in a HDMI 2 hardware device. Evidently the other HDMI ports as still HDMI 1.4b.

Give them a call on this number and see if you can confirm what he says if you have time.
866 924 7669 This is the installers line so you can get through quickly.

Jim

Anybody able to confirm this ? I have no other devices available to plug in and test.
post #118 of 129 Old 03-24-2014, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I found this interesting and thought I would share.
I had the Ten Free 4K movies as part of my Sony 4K server package that was part of my XBR84X900 display purchase.
I was unaware but apparently the 10 Free movies expired on Dec 31, 2013
I noticed last night some of the free movies now had a price on them.
I called Sony 4K Customer Service and they told me the free movies expire after 12 months.

Now this is the exciting part
Sony stated they had no control over the free movies as the whole thing is controlled by a deal they have with...................Netflix
Appears Sony Entertainment is actually a front for Netflix
post #119 of 129 Old 03-25-2014, 10:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:

I found this interesting and thought I would share.
I had the Ten Free 4K movies as part of my Sony 4K server package that was part of my XBR84X900 display purchase.
I was unaware but apparently the 10 Free movies expired on Dec 31, 2013
I noticed last night some of the free movies now had a price on them.
I called Sony 4K Customer Service and they told me the free movies expire after 12 months.

Now this is the exciting part
Sony stated they had no control over the free movies as the whole thing is controlled by a deal they have with...................Netflix
Appears Sony Entertainment is actually a front for Netflix

Lolwut? Sony Entertainment, owner of one of the few remaining major film studios, is a front for Netflix?

Sorry if my sarcasmeter is malfunctioning, but that comment is nutballz.

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #120 of 129 Old 03-25-2014, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post

Lolwut? Sony Entertainment, owner of one of the few remaining major film studios, is a front for Netflix?

Sorry if my sarcasmeter is malfunctioning, but that comment is nutballz.

I can't argue with you. I was astounded by the comment but it came form a Sony Customer Service Supervisor who should know what they were talking about.
She stated " I am sorry, Sony has no control over the issue of the 10 free films. Sony made a deal with Netflix and it expires after 12 months".

Along the same line. http://mashable.com/2014/01/06/sony-4k-smart-televisions/

So anyone else lose their ten Free films ?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony 4k Xbr 84x900 , Sony , Blu Ray Movies , Tron Legacy Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo
Gear in this thread - 84x900 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page