post #121 of 140 Old 03-25-2014, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestewman View Post

I can't argue with you. I was astounded by the comment but it came form a Sony Customer Service Supervisor who should know what they were talking about.
She stated " I am sorry, Sony has no control over the issue of the 10 free films. Sony made a deal with Netflix and it expires after 12 months".

Along the same line. http://mashable.com/2014/01/06/sony-4k-smart-televisions/

So anyone else lose their ten Free films ?

Are the films in question Netflix "exclusives"? That may explain why, even if Sony owns the titles through its various studios, Netflix is able to dictate how long users are able to "keep" the movies. But even if this is true, I personally view this entire arrangement as a disservice to Sony 84X900 owners. I mean, this is your flagship model and you are supposedly staking your company's future in consumer displays on the success of 4K, and you pull a stunt like this? What were they thinking? For anyone who has purchased these sets, the least they could do is provide content free of charge for 12 to 24 months after the date of purchase. Such a move would definitely help to build brand loyalty, and help to minimize any negative feedback from owners who might be unhappy with some aspect of the technical performance of the sets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 140 Old 05-02-2014, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Called Sony Teer 2 support today asking about if we will get an upgrade to H.265 for the 84x900 and was told no we would not. Only the newer sets would offer that feature.

The only way we can benefit from it is to use the new Media player coming out this summer. It will have a Netflix app and support H.265. That kind of leaves streaming as our only source of 4K content for now other than the X1 if I am reading this correctly.

I understand that the 4K disc standard is yet to be determined.
post #123 of 140 Old 05-15-2014, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post

Called Sony Teer 2 support today asking about if we will get an upgrade to H.265 for the 84x900 and was told no we would not. Only the newer sets would offer that feature.

The only way we can benefit from it is to use the new Media player coming out this summer. It will have a Netflix app and support H.265. That kind of leaves streaming as our only source of 4K content for now other than the X1 if I am reading this correctly.

Sony has a $200.00 discount and free shipping fpr the new FMPX10 4k player

http://store.sony.com/sony-4k-ultra-hd-media-player-zid27-FMPX10/cat-27-catid-All-Internet-Players
post #124 of 140 Old 05-15-2014, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the link.

For some reason it doesn't show the XBR-84X900 as a compatible set. I assume it is but not sure.

Are you thinking of getting one Stewman?
post #125 of 140 Old 05-16-2014, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Curious if anyone has encountered the problem I'm having:

Sometimes while powering on from sleep (a random 1 out of 10 times) the display will act as if nothing is plugged into the HDMI input that it is set to, even though I know it is plugged in and receiving a signal.

I'm working with two XBR-84X900s that are side-by-side and fed from identical source hardware. It is always set to the same input and never changes, and the signal into each display is from a Crestron DM-RMC-200-C that is always powered on and should never lose sync with the display (and DMTools is showing that the signal from my DM-MD8x8 is making it all the way to the display). It never happens to both displays at the same time, and I haven't found a way to force it to happen which has made troubleshooting quite difficult.

I've tried both Sony and Crestron support without any real solutions and have updated to the latest firmware for all devices.

Edit: I forgot to add, power cycling from either the Sony remote or over RS-232 control will fix the issue temporarily. It's not a major issue, but the customer would rather have his very expensive displays work perfectly every time.

post #126 of 140 Old 05-17-2014, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post

Thanks for the link.

For some reason it doesn't show the XBR-84X900 as a compatible set. I assume it is but not sure.

Are you thinking of getting one Stewman?
Yes ! I preordered it to save $200.00. It has some features that the FMP-X1 does not have.
It is has HEVC, H265 and TRILUMINOS™ color technology.
The bad is not knowing if you can transfer your current catalog from the FMP-X1 player.
The other unknown that I need to find out about is what you can use for a remote control.
post #127 of 140 Old 05-17-2014, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylr View Post

Sometimes while powering on from sleep (a random 1 out of 10 times) the display will act as if nothing is plugged into the HDMI input that it is set to, even though I know it is plugged in and receiving a signal.

I'm working with two XBR-84X900s that are side-by-side and fed from identical source hardware. It is always set to the same input and never changes, and the signal into each display is from a Crestron DM-RMC-200-C that is always powered on and should never lose sync with the display (and DMTools is showing that the signal from my DM-MD8x8 is making it all the way to the display). It never happens to both displays at the same time, and I haven't found a way to force it to happen which has made troubleshooting quite difficult.

I've tried both Sony and Crestron support without any real solutions and have updated to the latest firmware for all devices.

Edit: I forgot to add, power cycling from either the Sony remote or over RS-232 control will fix the issue temporarily. It's not a major issue, but the customer would rather have his very expensive displays work perfectly every time.
You say "powering on from sleep". Do you mean powering on from being turned off or from a power saving state ?
There is this

Power Symptoms

TV turns off automatically.
TV turns on automatically.

Check if [Sleep Timer] is activated.
Check if [Idle TV Standby] in [Eco] is activated.
Check if [Auto Shut-off] in [Eco] is activated.

Check if [Timer] is activated.

And do you have the latest firmware as of 1/06/2014 - Version PKG1.505AAF
post #128 of 140 Old 05-17-2014, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes ! I preordered it to save $200.00. It has some features that the FMP-X1 does not have.
It is has HEVC, H265 and TRILUMINOS™ color technology.
The bad is not knowing if you can transfer your current catalog from the FMP-X1 player.
The other unknown that I need to find out about is what you can use for a remote control.

Yeah I ordered it too. Looks like mid July for delivery. I believe it comes with a remote, at least that is what it says that is in the box when shipped.
I have my X1 for sale now on eBay, I never watch it.

Not sure we can get the Triluminos technology to work with out a Triluminos display which I believe the 84X900 is not. But I definitely want the HEVC and H.265.

In The Box

Remote Control (RMT-D304)
HDMI Cable
AC Power Cord
AC Power Adapter
Start Guide
Reference Guide
Operation Instructions
Warranty Card
post #129 of 140 Old 05-22-2014, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

You say "powering on from sleep". Do you mean powering on from being turned off or from a power saving state ?
There is this

Power Symptoms

I have disabled all power saving features. The problem happens when I use the remote or RS232 control to turn the display on. So I'm powering on from a state of: hard power switch is on, front LED is solid red, screen is off. So far I haven't seen the issue occur when powering on from a "fully off" state (by which I mean using the hard power switch), but the displays are rarely if ever completely powered off. It's not an issue of the display turning itself off or on, but of the display not recognizing that an HDMI cable is plugged in and giving it signal.

I currently have firmware PKG1.505AAF.

post #130 of 140 Old 11-16-2014, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
New 900A 85" owner Questions!

Hello all!

I've recently purchased the 900A for screening (as I am a 6K cinematographer) and have several questions I'm hoping you lovely experienced people might have some insights on...

1) How can one tell if they have the most recent logic board / firmware allowing HDMI 2.0 etc?

2) For the life of me I can't get the unit to accept my Apple Airport Extreme wifi credentials...without getting into more detail, might there be any obvious issues or tricks I'm missing for this unit?

3) I'm finding the latency - at least in conjunction with my Sony STR DN-840 to be too severe to play the occasional video game with the wife and am noticing minor lip sync issues with video. I know I can delay the audio in the receiver (and possibly also in the display) but that won't make games any more playable. Any thoughts on how to run the lowest latency possible with this display? Might the receiver also be contributing?

4) I find the display loses "sync" with the receiver often and getting it to reconnect is a huge PITA...any ideas? As well, is this a decent receiver to use for routing 4k and 1080p to this display?

5) I've had trouble displaying any content at all at 4K but am guessing that because this was a 2012 built display unit, that the hdmi port / logic board needs upgrading before that will be as easy and reliable as it's ever going to be. What video file codecs / wrappers will this unit see for UHD playback from the usb ports either with the original board/port or the new one? H264? H265? MP4? Any input is most welcome.

6) How does one go about getting Sony support to come install that board if I need one? Is this a free upgrade? I assume (duh) that the set needs to be removed from a wall mount for installation?

THANK YOU to any and all other owners kind enough to share their insights with me. I'm very much hoping I made a good purchase and do enjoy the image a great deal but know an avalanche of 4k displays is just a few months off and praying there are workable answers to my questions above!

Have a great day and thanks again...

~Zato
post #131 of 140 Old 11-16-2014, 02:15 PM

I have the same problem...and several more lol.

Hope my fellow owners might shed some light.

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestewman View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by kylr 

There is this

Power Symptoms

post #132 of 140 Old 11-16-2014, 02:17 PM

Does this mean there is definitively no way to playback 4k content via USB or HDMI?

Does the X1 have any means of connecting to storage for local 4k playback?

Thank you!

Quote:
Quote:Originally Posted by dreaux 

Sony has a $200.00 discount and free shipping fpr the new FMPX10 4k player

http://store.sony.com/sony-4k-ultra-...ternet-Players
post #133 of 140 Old 11-16-2014, 02:20 PM

This is in my future as well LOL...can someone share the right number and extension?

Thank you!

Quote:
^
Guess you will need to wait until Monday and call the Sony 4k hot line experts.
post #134 of 140 Old 11-16-2014, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zato Ichi View Post
This is in my future as well LOL...can someone share the right number and extension?

Thank you!
The number was 866 924 7669. I have not used it in some time as I have had no service issues to talk with Sony about.
Be prepared to talk to several lower level employees who answer the phone. Sony has a habit of using non tech personnel to answer the telephones.
You will probably have to ask them to elevate you to a level 2 or level 3 tech person. Be insistent.
post #135 of 140 Old 11-16-2014, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
New 900A 85" owner Questions!

Hello all!

I've recently purchased the 900A for screening (as I am a 6K cinematographer) and have several questions I'm hoping you lovely experienced people might have some insights on...

1) How can one tell if they have the most recent logic board / firmware allowing HDMI 2.0 etc?

Using the remote control
Home
Settings
Product Support
Contact Sony

It will be at lower screen display
Latest Firmware PKG-1,505AAF

2) For the life of me I can't get the unit to accept my Apple Airport Extreme wifi credentials...without getting into more detail, might there be any obvious issues or tricks I'm missing for this unit?

Home
Settings
Network
You may need to manually input the IP address etc

3) I'm finding the latency - at least in conjunction with my Sony STR DN-840 to be too severe to play the occasional video game with the wife and am noticing minor lip sync issues with video. I know I can delay the audio in the receiver (and possibly also in the display) but that won't make games any more playable. Any thoughts on how to run the lowest latency possible with this display? Might the receiver also be contributing?

4) I find the display loses "sync" with the receiver often and getting it to reconnect is a huge PITA...any ideas? As well, is this a decent receiver to use for routing 4k and 1080p to this display?

5) I've had trouble displaying any content at all at 4K but am guessing that because this was a 2012 built display unit, that the hdmi port / logic board needs upgrading before that will be as easy and reliable as it's ever going to be. What video file codecs / wrappers will this unit see for UHD playback from the usb ports either with the original board/port or the new one? H264? H265? MP4? Any input is most welcome.

These are common complaints when feeding 4k signals from a receiver even a Sony unit

I have not found any video formats to play via the Sony USB connection. I tried MP4,MKV,M2TS, 2K and 4K
Best currently is the Sony FMP-x10 player. Not the FMP-x1.
The FMP-x10 can play MP4 video files thru the USB front connector
There are several media players that will feed 4K to the display's HDMI input

6) How does one go about getting Sony support to come install that board if I need one? Is this a free upgrade? I assume (duh) that the set needs to be removed from a wall mount for installation?

Try 1-866 924 7669 Call Sony

THANK YOU to any and all other owners kind enough to share their insights with me. I'm very much hoping I made a good purchase and do enjoy the image a great deal but know an avalanche of 4k displays is just a few months off and praying there are workable answers to my questions above!

Have a great day and thanks again...

~Zato
Good Luck

Last edited by thestewman; 11-17-2014 at 08:26 AM.
post #136 of 140 Old 11-17-2014, 07:02 AM

Thank you kindly Stewman...I do love the display but know it's going to take a little effort to get the most out of it.

Have a fine day and thanks again

Quote:
Good Luck
post #137 of 140 Old 11-17-2014, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thank you kindly Stewman...I do love the display but know it's going to take a little effort to get the most out of it.

Have a fine day and thanks again
I was wondering if you use one of the alternate formats for AVS like "Retro" and failed to see my notes I posted
other than the Good Luck ?
I edited the post and changed the color of the font
post #138 of 140 Old 11-17-2014, 11:35 AM

I saw them great and still can by highlighting the white text LOL.

Really appreciated...was worrying I might not get any help and concerned I spent too much (though of course far less than 2012 retail prices) on a display that wouldn't cover my min needed spec lol.

Thanks again! I'll be back after attempting to work with Sony support lol.

Cheers!

~Zato

Quote:
I was wondering if you use one of the alternate formats for AVS like "Retro" and failed to see my notes I posted
other than the Good Luck ?
I edited the post and changed the color of the font
post #139 of 140 Old 11-17-2014, 12:55 PM

Red face

Got some answers from Sony today.

1) we're scheduled for the HDMI hardware upgrade which is good.

2) They swear 4k content *can* be played back via HDMI (if HDCP 2.2 blessed signal) or USB if video file is fat16, 32 or ExFAT formatted device and file is encoded to MPEG1/MPEG2PS/ MPEG2TS/AVCHD/ MP4Part10/MP- 4Part2/WMV/MP3/ WMA/LPCM/JPEG "DLNA Content Standards". (whatever the hell that means lol - does anyone here know? ANY input on proper encoding of UHD video files would be greatly appreciated - especially on OSX or in the Adobe Creative Cloud application environment!).

3) Sync issues with display not easily showing image without lots of power cycling / futzing with receiver can be solved with turning sleep stand by off on receiver.

4) Sony claims our lip sync issues are due to latency from the receiver and so am wondering if any of the newer 4k HDCP 2.2 compliant sony receivers boast zero (or close to) latency so gaming can pass through receiver?

All in all this makes me pretty happy...primarily my understanding that I will not having to buy X10 just to get 4K content into the display. Hope it works and will test once hardware is upgraded.

Do any other owners here use a computer (ideally an apple / osx box) to drive 4K on this display? Any advice or input?

Many thanks again...have a great day all!

~Zato
post #140 of 140 Old 11-17-2014, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Got some answers from Sony today.

1) we're scheduled for the HDMI hardware upgrade which is good.

2) They swear 4k content *can* be played back via HDMI (if HDCP 2.2 blessed signal) or USB if video file is fat16, 32 or ExFAT formatted device and file is encoded to MPEG1/MPEG2PS/ MPEG2TS/AVCHD/ MP4Part10/MP- 4Part2/WMV/MP3/ WMA/LPCM/JPEG "DLNA Content Standards". (whatever the hell that means lol - does anyone here know? ANY input on proper encoding of UHD video files would be greatly appreciated - especially on OSX or in the Adobe Creative Cloud application environment!).

Yes and No
You can play 4K via HDMI. You need to find an appropriate 4K player There are several just coming to market.
Most are Android boxes. None I have tried yet as I am tired of being an early experimenter.
I use my X10 for 4k MP4 files and a Popcorn Hour for 4k MKV and 4k M2TS. No player handles 4k 3D yet.
You can use DVDFAB v9 to make the 4k files from your current BluRays or ISO files.
I find so far the USB as worthless. All the formats they mentioned are early compression techniques before H264.
So forget 4k or BluRay though you can reformat current files with Handbrake etc and view 480i or 720i. Not good.
Everything done today is H264 or H265

3) Sync issues with display not easily showing image without lots of power cycling / futzing with receiver can be solved with turning sleep stand by off on receiver.

4) Sony claims our lip sync issues are due to latency from the receiver and so am wondering if any of the newer 4k HDCP 2.2 compliant sony receivers boast zero (or close to) latency so gaming can pass through receiver?

If you scour AVS you will read numerous posters encountering issues with the current receivers and processors.
They are not really 4k capable or doing passthrough of the 4k signals.

All in all this makes me pretty happy...primarily my understanding that I will not having to buy X10 just to get 4K content into the display. Hope it works and will test once hardware is upgraded.

Do any other owners here use a computer (ideally an apple / osx box) to drive 4K on this display? Any advice or input?

Many thanks again...have a great day all!

~Zato
It ia great display. Love the picture. Live tv upgraded to 4k by the display is fabulous.
Hope some of this helps.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony 4k Xbr 84x900 , Sony , Blu Ray Movies , Tron Legacy Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo
Gear in this thread - 84x900 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page