Lifespan of Displays - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-24-2012, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, so I've talked to two service people after having my Sony KDL-46XBR4 set die on me - indicated by both as non-repairable - and neither of them seemed to think that the mere 5 years of service I got out of it was out of the ordinary. Seems to me that TVs were once thought of as somewhat durable goods with lives measured in decades. Now we seem to have these new tech devices that are way more expensive than those old TVs, but don't last nearly as long? The various articles I've seen on the web say that the displays should last some 60000-100000 hours (the equivalent of about a decade of heavy use - 16 hrs/day). Now what died in mine wasn't actually the display, but the TCon circuit that controls the display. Still, I wouldn't consider my set to have had that heavy a use during it's 5 years. What has been your experience on the lifespan of your set?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-24-2012, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I have a Sony KLV-S23A10 HDTV that i bought on 6/06 (6 1/2 yrs.old) i use it very heavily and it's still going strong. smile.gif
post #3 of 5 Old 12-24-2012, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Tcon board replacements are common for a lot of mfrs. Panel longevity can be variable among the mfrs with some performing better (longer) than others. I had a Sony KDLxxxx CRT for about 6 years and it never had any issues. I think the lifespan of tv's nowadays is about 5 or 6 years, maybe longer?
post #4 of 5 Old 12-24-2012, 10:07 AM

Liked: 10
bad china parts esp cap's ?

why can't a chip or board be replaced on your sony tv ?
did you open it up and look for bulging cap's ?
post #5 of 5 Old 12-24-2012, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmgr1100 View Post

Ok, so I've talked to two service people after having my Sony KDL-46XBR4 set die on me - indicated by both as non-repairable - and neither of them seemed to think that the mere 5 years of service I got out of it was out of the ordinary. Seems to me that TVs were once thought of as somewhat durable goods with lives measured in decades. Now we seem to have these new tech devices that are way more expensive than those old TVs, but don't last nearly as long? The various articles I've seen on the web say that the displays should last some 60000-100000 hours (the equivalent of about a decade of heavy use - 16 hrs/day). Now what died in mine wasn't actually the display, but the TCon circuit that controls the display. Still, I wouldn't consider my set to have had that heavy a use during it's 5 years. What has been your experience on the lifespan of your set?
Before throwing your set in the trash, try this out:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-KDL-46XBR4-46-Television-TV-T-Con-UB2-Board-1-876-612-11-404652FIX2HCLV1-2-/380540489201?pt=US_TV_Boards_Parts_Components&hash=item5899fb0df1
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page