Samsung PN51E7000FF IR and Black levels question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 12-25-2012, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I recently picked up the Samsung PN51E7000FF Plasma and although it is a great TV, there are some concerns I have with it.
The TV seems to have some pretty bad image retention. I was messing with the smart hub portion of it for about 10 minutes when I got it and after that I noticed that the app boxes and smart hub logo in the top right were still pretty visible on the screen. With normal use it took awhile for it to fade. I tested it again later and then put up a pure white picture and it faded withing about 10 seconds. My question is, is this normal for the TV to have this bad of IR? I wouldn't expect it to pick up an image with only 5-10 minutes of use. I had a similar problem when playing a song off of a flash drive.

Second question is the black levels. On my TV they are good, but nothing great. I'd say it really isn't that much better than my 5 year old LCD Samsung LN40a750. From what I've read this TV is supposed to have pretty good black levels. On dark scenes the blacks looks more of a dark grey. Since there is a black edge around the whole screen, this makes it even more apparent that the blacks really aren't that black. I've messed with the settings a little bit, but honestly if I turn down the brightness or cell light level to anything 10 below max then I lose A LOT of detail when darker scenes are on the screen.

I have very little buzzing which is good. It is definitely audible when I have a brighter image up and the room is dead silent, but I can't remember the last time I had the TV on in a dead silent room, so this isn't a problem.

Any ideas? The TV was an open box item that was used as a Display TV. Should I exchange for a new set or possibly a different one or are these issues normal? If so, then I'm very surprised given that this is supposed to be one of the higher end plasmas out.

Denon X4000 | Paradigm Studio 60s | Paradigm Studio CC-590 | Dual SVS PB-2000s | Panasonic GT50
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 12-25-2012, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Oops. just realized I posted this in the wrong section. Can a mod please delete.

Denon X4000 | Paradigm Studio 60s | Paradigm Studio CC-590 | Dual SVS PB-2000s | Panasonic GT50
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page