LCD Flat Screen TV with PIP? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 12-26-2012, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So, I have wasted a few weeks looking for a replacement TV that has PIP. I receive my TV from an over the air antenna, I would like a TV that accepts an auxiliary tuner input and displays PIP from it. Ideally, I would like a picture size of 37 -40", but could go bigger if forced to.

Problem is, I search the net for TV's with PIP and I find lot's of them...... only to discover they are several years old and nothing similar is made anymore. That's the problem with the internet, nobody ever cleans up the old (obsolete) junk information on it and it just keeps coming up over and over.

Can anybody direct me to a place that lists the CURRENT crop of flat screen TV's with PIP?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 12-27-2012, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Whoa, slow down with all the replies..... I can only read so many.

Well, I don't feel so dumb any more.

I didn't know the answer and apparently, neither does anybody on a forum which should be "expert" on it.
post #3 of 22 Old 12-28-2012, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bountyh View Post

Whoa, slow down with all the replies..... I can only read so many.
Well, I don't feel so dumb any more.
I didn't know the answer and apparently, neither does anybody on a forum which should be "expert" on it.

With that attitude, you likely won't get any more replies.
Quote:
Problem is, I search the net for TV's with PIP and I find lot's of them...... only to discover they are several years old and nothing similar is made anymore.

Not sure what you mean here, I would say at least 70% of new tv's have PIP built in. The last two tv's I bought this past year both have PIP.
Quote:
Can anybody direct me to a place that lists the CURRENT crop of flat screen TV's with PIP?

This is probably why you didn't get a reply: there isn't a "list" of all tv's that have PIP. Hell, there isn't a "list" of all tv's currently on sale in the first place. Your best bet is to visit websites of stores near you, or online stores you like, and research the sets. ANY reputable websites will list PIP in the specs.
post #4 of 22 Old 12-28-2012, 10:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 186
The Vizio XVT 58" (which is shaped as 21:9 to display widescreen movies without black bars) supports PIP and POP. CLICK HERE, scroll down and go to the next page after this to see my opinions and pics of the XVT doing its thing. Vizio is clearing this set out for $999 at various stores (Walmart, Costco, amazon.com) but sometimes it shuts up to $1,299 or $1,499. For most content on TV it becomes a 46" HDTV (same size you wanted), and if you're into scope movies it becomes a beast. Worth looking into if you're as big a PIP whore as I am.biggrin.gif
post #5 of 22 Old 12-28-2012, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitlet View Post

With that attitude, you likely won't get any more replies.
Non sequitur. The phrase "any more" necessarily implies that there were some replies.
Quote:

Not sure what you mean here, I would say at least 70% of new tv's have PIP built in.
I don't know how to describe it better: I just want a TV that has the PIP capability with an added external tuner using an OTA antenna. If you think 70% of TVs have PIP, you have not shopped for a TV in a few years. The feature has basically disappeared and is now only offered in "cable boxes".
Quote:

This is probably why you didn't get a reply: there isn't a "list" of all tv's that have PIP. Hell, there isn't a "list" of all tv's currently on sale in the first place.
All I asked for was a source that had any TVs with PIP which are actually still available.
Quote:

Your best bet is to visit websites of stores near you, or online stores you like, and research the sets..
Already spent a few weeks doing that.
Quote:

ANY reputable websites will list PIP in the specs.
No, you're wrong on that. I actually wasted a lot of time at TV makers sites doing searches for the PIP function and found that when I did, I get pages and pages of their TVs..... NONE OF WHICH HAVE PIP. Know why? In the feature set it lists:

PIP.......NO

and the search engine picks that up as "PIP".

wasting my life because of idiots.
post #6 of 22 Old 12-28-2012, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

The Vizio XVT 58" (which is shaped as 21:9 to display widescreen movies without black bars) supports PIP and POP. CLICK HERE, scroll down and go to the next page after this to see my opinions and pics of the XVT doing its thing. Vizio is clearing this set out for $999 at various stores (Walmart, Costco, amazon.com) but sometimes it shuts up to $1,299 or $1,499. For most content on TV it becomes a 46" HDTV (same size you wanted), and if you're into scope movies it becomes a beast. Worth looking into if you're as big a PIP whore as I am.biggrin.gif

OK, thanks I'll look at it. I was hoping for something more on the lines of a standard TV not 21:9 screen since all I watch is TV and DVDs not "scope movies".

But as I have found out, PIP function TVs are basically extinct and I have no real array of choices.
post #7 of 22 Old 12-28-2012, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

You know I never realized what an amazingly good and useful TV my 32" Sony Trinitron was until I shopped for new TVs. It has three different sources, any of which can be displayed as the main picture or the PIP picture with direct access via the remote. You can open the PIP window and scan through any source directly in PIP. You can flip the sound back and forth with one button.

The TV industry must have fallen and hit it's head because their collective IQ seems to have dropped about 50 points based on the fact that the most useful features have been designed out.
post #8 of 22 Old 12-28-2012, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter

UNBELIEVABLE!

Well, I followed the advice.... I went directly to the home page of Vizio (vizio.com). After all, that's the place to get good information.

So I waste another 20 minutes and WOW victory, I find a PIP TV listed!

http://store.vizio.com/vt420m.html

Finally, I found the holy grail....

You can't be serious:

I go looking for the product on the web and find it no longer exists. It's "out of stock" at the places that ever did carry it, and the only things I find listed is spare parts and used TVs.

Another OBSOLETE listing on the great garbage heap that is the internet, except in this case: the VIZIO home page is the one listing it.

This is ridiculous.

They should just have an automatic referral page in search engines so that any poor fool who tries to search for a new PIP TV would get the message:

FORGET IT. GIVE UP. ABANDON ALL HOPE, YE WHO ENTER HERE.

YOU SEARCH FOR THAT WHICH DOES NOT EXIST.

DEVOTE YOUR TIME TO SOMETHING YOU ARE MORE LIKELY TO FIND, LIKE A WAY TO TURN LEAD INTO GOLD.
post #9 of 22 Old 12-29-2012, 11:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Sorry to hear it dude. For what it's worth though, as we've all learned the hard way, there is no perfect TV. Every TV is compromised in one way or another from what we wish it were, so we have to settle for the TV we can learn to live with. I wasn't looking for a 58" 21:9 HDTV from a budget brand (had my heart set on a 65"+ name-brand set) but, between the low price and the PIP options, the Vizio XVT58 is the horse I'm hitching my ride to for my present and future 1080p PIP needs. No point in bitching about the 42" that's gone, you should think about whether you can live with the set that's available right now.
post #10 of 22 Old 12-29-2012, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by bountyh View Post

UNBELIEVABLE!
Well, I followed the advice.... I went directly to the home page of Vizio (vizio.com). After all, that's the place to get good information.
So I waste another 20 minutes and WOW victory, I find a PIP TV listed!
http://store.vizio.com/vt420m.html
Finally, I found the holy grail....
You can't be serious:
I go looking for the product on the web and find it no longer exists. It's "out of stock" at the places that ever did carry it, and the only things I find listed is spare parts and used TVs.
Another OBSOLETE listing on the great garbage heap that is the internet, except in this case: the VIZIO home page is the one listing it.
This is ridiculous.
They should just have an automatic referral page in search engines so that any poor fool who tries to search for a new PIP TV would get the message:
FORGET IT. GIVE UP. ABANDON ALL HOPE, YE WHO ENTER HERE.
YOU SEARCH FOR THAT WHICH DOES NOT EXIST.
DEVOTE YOUR TIME TO SOMETHING YOU ARE MORE LIKELY TO FIND, LIKE A WAY TO TURN LEAD INTO GOLD.

Just a thought, please don't get mad, but do both pictures have to be the same size? Where I'm going is the possibility of getting a main set and a cheap off-brand secondary set and using them simultaneously on game(s) day? I know this is fraught with danger regarding SAF (spousal acceptance factor) but thought I'd throw it out there.smile.gif

Steve S.
post #11 of 22 Old 12-29-2012, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Non sequitur. The phrase "any more" necessarily implies that there were some replies.

The phrase was meant that you wouldn't get any more replies after mine.
Quote:
If you think 70% of TVs have PIP, you have not shopped for a TV in a few years. The feature has basically disappeared and is now only offered in "cable boxes".

Not sure what brands you are looking at then.
Quote:
All I asked for was a source that had any TVs with PIP which are actually still available.

All you wanted was a source? Ok, check Amazon.
Quote:
wasting my life because of idiots.

Perhaps you should just move on to another site then. Clearly, we are too advanced for you.
post #12 of 22 Old 01-24-2013, 08:32 PM

I'm currently in search of a TV for the bedroom and want PIP like my ancient Sony rear projection. Sadly I'm finding the same thing; worse, the TV's now that claim PIP functionality are not really PIP at all in my mind. If you don't have full flexibility of the PIP source it's no good; the ols Sony spoiled me.

Quote:

The phrase was meant that you wouldn't get any more replies after mine.
Not sure what brands you are looking at then.
All you wanted was a source? Ok, check Amazon.
Perhaps you should just move on to another site then. Clearly, we are too advanced for you.

With that attitude some people may think you're an ahole.
post #13 of 22 Old 01-25-2013, 06:53 AM

I could have asked the exact same question. I have been searching and searching for a PIP TV. Have you found anything?
post #14 of 22 Old 01-29-2013, 11:25 AM

I have done the same as you. i have searched and searched for a flat screen with PIP and haven't found any new TV's with this feature. . Have you found anything? Thanks.
post #15 of 22 Old 01-30-2013, 03:07 PM

This is truly, truly disconcerting. I have not recently searched for a TV with PIP. I outfitted my home with six TV's, ranging from 22" to 55," and one on my sailboat, which is 26." Five of the home TV's are Vizio, and I love them. All have PIP, including the 22"er. Most of the Vizios utilize the PIP, as along with VZ set top boxes, I have Verizon's DCT700's, the PIP source, which only unscramble the FiOS signal so I can watch two channels at the same time. If I'm sitting with someone else who wishes to watch American Idol, I can catch a ball game either PIP, or POP if we're watching the 55"er. The Magnavox on the sailboat also has PIP, so a guest can watch a DVD while another can watch regular TV.

Regarding the Home TV's and the one on the sailboat, the PIP is set up with earphones, so there is audio for both viewings. The sixth TV at home is a 42' Panasonic Plasma that I use in my office. It too has (HAD!!!) PIP/POP, and it was great for watching Bloomberg or an HDMI feed from my PC or laptop, while I caught a golf match, or other channel at the same time. Unfortunately, the HDMI inputs on the Pansonic died and are no longer functional, even after working with Panasonic Tech Support. They just told me to buy another Panasonic ... fat chance in this lifetime. But, I do need to begin a search for a 42" LED TV, with PIP as a key criterion. Moreover, I love the idea of the "thin" sets that are on the market. As I've walked through Costco and viewed the thin sets, I just assumed they all have PIP. Thus, I now find this thread very scary.

I shared all this to help others, who care, to understand that PIP is quite important to me, and perhaps even more important to my guests once they see they have "choices." I get the impression from this thread that PIP TV's are not only difficult to find, but it appears the availability of same is diminishing. This is truly disconcerting, to say the least.

So, for all of the readers who are aligned with the OP, I too align with the underlying premise (with all due respect to those who reacted differently to how it was presented) and would be interested in what is available out there as it pertains to PIP/POP TV's.

As an aside, I read through many forums and participate only in a very few. The reason I participate very little is for no other reason than how the dialogue can ensue. Granted, there is a way to ask questions on a forum. Frustration is often construed negatively, or as a personal attack. Oftentimes it generates a response that may be taken negatively, or at least it may be interpreted as such. Then it escalates to a pi**ing match, and no one learns anything, or the possibility of getting good feedback is diminished significantly.

Trustfully, those who are responding with the same issue, along with those who are just reading (hoping for answers to the PIP TV search dilemma) will get some valuable posts.

I'm just saying ...

Aye
post #16 of 22 Old 01-31-2013, 11:42 AM

Very nice post. I sent an email to Vizio and was told these models support PIP. E420VL, E421VL, M420NV, M421NV and SV420M.I think they are all old models and none of the new ones support PIP. I think Samsung indicated models 6500 and up support PIP. I want to be clear that is my understanding and not necessarily fact. I like the PIP so much on an old CRT TV I had, that I am not giving up yet. Thank you for any insight that can help me find a TV with PIP.
post #17 of 22 Old 01-31-2013, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Select older Sony LCDs had PIP. My '08 46" and 52" W4100 has it and I use it all the time, I'd think the Z4100 many also have it and maybe even the XBRs. With my PIP I can display any source in the PIP(actually P by P where one screen is larger than the other and they are side by side). I can easily highlight one or the other side and the highlighted side gives me audio to the speakers. Before this Sony I had a 32" tube Sony that had true PIP and even dual tuners, what was a nice set cool.gif Lastly my 20" Vizio kitchen TV has PIP but I rarely use the feature on that set, it's even older than the Sony and being a 20" the PIP is quite small(very clear but small).
PIP is a great feature but unfortunately not very common anymore, sorry I couldn't give you any current models but I haven't really been looking at new TVs lately frown.gif
Add to my list the V4100 Sonys(all the Sonys I listed are '08 model years) the next years Sonys were 5100 series and I don't know if they have PIP.
post #18 of 22 Old 02-01-2013, 11:05 AM

I appreciate your comments. Thank you. I will look at Sony.
Anybody else have any info. on PIP?
post #19 of 22 Old 03-22-2013, 03:26 PM

Hi AyaSail

I am still looking for a PIP TV. Have you found anything? Thank you.
post #20 of 22 Old 06-26-2013, 09:10 AM

I see this thread is now several months old. But, in case this may help someone else out, I figured I post to it anyway.

I've also done a lot of looking for a new big screen tv that supports PIP. I watch lots of sports, and during football season I like to hook up a couple of Directv receivers to my Samsung LED DLP tv and watch 2 games at the same time. It is awesome. Unfortunately, the repair cost on the DLP are starting to mount up to the point that getting a new tv is the only practical option. I have done a fair amount of research on the matter and it turns out that the new Samsung models do support PIP, but only with one small subwindow on the screen. No options beyond that. Gone is the ability of having two equal sized screens side by side, also called PAP (picture and picture) or POP (picture outside of picture), I believe.

After a lot of looking, I am happy to report that that the Sony KD-L70R550A does support PAP/POP. So you can watch two different programs at the same time using two different video sources. I checked it out at Best Buy and the feature works pretty well. You can make the two side by side pictures the same size (16:9 screens with black bars at the top and bottom) or you can make the left side bigger and the right side smaller using the up/down arrow keys on the remote. You can also switch between the audio sources by using the right/left arrow keys. Ironically, I'm not so sure how PIP works. The user's manual seems to indicate that PIP (small subwindow in right hand side of the screen) is limited for use with a computer/laptop -- i.e., laptop in big picture, video in little subwindow. Not sure about that though. In any event, it is not a dealbreaker as I use PAP/POP much more than PIP anyway.

The KD-L70R55A is the 70-inch model. Sony also makes it in 50-inch and 60-inch.
post #21 of 22 Old 06-27-2013, 07:51 AM

Very nice of you to pass on that information. I will check it out. Thank you.
post #22 of 22 Old 06-27-2013, 07:51 AM

Very nice of you to pass on that information. I will check it out. Thank you.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays