Shopping for computer monitors with surround audio out. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-29-2012, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am having a hell of a time trying to shop for a new computer monitor. My current setup consists of four devices:
  1. A PC with 7.1 surround, via multiple mini jacks, or a toslink output
  2. An Xbox 360, with HDMI and toslink outputs.
  3. A Logitech 5.1 surround speaker set, whose only inputs are three stereo mini jacks (front, rear, center/sub)
  4. An acer H213H monitor, that I'm looking to supplement with another 21.5" monitor.

Currently, the desktop is connected to the monitor through DVI, and to the speakers with the three stereo mini cables. The xbox is connected to the monitor through HDMI. The monitor has no audio out, so the xbox uses the (rather terrible) built in speakers on the monitor.

I've been meaning to buy a second monitor for quite some time now, and I would like to buy one that has analog surround audio out. My intentions would be to connect both the xbox and the pc to the monitor only, and then to connect the speakers to the monitor. However, I am finding it nearly impossible to search for monitors by their audio outputs. None of my usual shopping sites have the capability to filter by outputs, and Google's not being terribly helpful either. I know these monitors exist, as I've stumbled upon one or two (discontinued) NEC monitors with six channel output (like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824002359). Does anyone have any insight on this situation, or am I doomed to put up with stereo until I can afford to purchase a receiver and new speakers? I can't imagine that it would be that unique, since these PC surround kits are so prevalent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-29-2012, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
First, the link you provided, not sure what you are seeing there, but that does NOT have analog 5.1 output.

Second, you pretty much figured it out, you are not going to find a computer monitor with 5.1 analog output. Heck, I don't even think I've EVER seen a TV with 5.1 analog output.

Your best bet would probably be to just buy a dedicated receiver.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-19-2013, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks, I realized after I posted that I had misunderstood something about that monitor. I was afraid of that…
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page