NEED color-accurate LCD in 2012 around $600 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 12-29-2012, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I need to buy an LCD TV for use as a display at my office (think small conference room) and I need to make a purchase this year. My company is a small web design firm, so color accuracy and picture quality is most important. This will primarily be used for internal design discussions and sometimes client design presentations.

Budget: ~$600, $1000 MAX if it's a significant difference in quality
Size: smaller than 55", mid-40's preferred
3D: not needed
Internet/Smart features: not needed

I have dug around quite a bit and can't find much conclusive information about out-of-box color accuracy for TVs that fit these specs. It seems like LG TVs can be fairly easily "calibrated" with advanced settings in expert mode.

I'm really looking for some guidance on this. I can always return it if it doesn't work out, but right now anything I get will be just a shot in the dark. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-30-2012, 12:48 PM

Liked: 14
Per various reports on this forum LG and Samsung both offer models which can be calibrated to bring them close to specs. Just look for models which offer those adjustments. LG LM7600 has been a big seller this year..

Insert pithy comment here
post #3 of 8 Old 12-30-2012, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmytango829 View Post

I have dug around quite a bit and can't find much conclusive information about out-of-box color accuracy for TVs that fit these specs. It seems like LG TVs can be fairly easily "calibrated" with advanced settings in expert mode.

I have to wonder how many TVs are accurate out-of-the-box. That will mean different things to different people.

Anyway, my LG 65LW6500 can be finely calibrated in Expert Mode. It wasn't too terribly far off out-of-the-box.
post #4 of 8 Old 12-30-2012, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
To get as close to color accurate out of the box, you should look into broadcast monitors from companies like NEC or Marshall. But be prepared to pay a bit more for them.
post #5 of 8 Old 12-30-2012, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks so far! I just re-read my post and realized I wasn't as clear as I'd hoped!

The "OOB" comment I meant was that I couldn't find any comparisons of OOB vs calibrated performance. I would expect to need to properly calibrate the TV, but I haven't had much luck finding info on which TVs are decent at that price point.

When I shop for myself I have a bit different price range, but this has me at a loss!
post #6 of 8 Old 01-01-2013, 10:43 PM

Liked: 12
Toshiba L5200u?
post #7 of 8 Old 01-02-2013, 12:16 AM

Heres a recommendation based on your needs:

Panasonic VIERA TC-L47E50

LCD panel with LED backlighting. 47 inches. $650. IPS for color accuracy and viewing angles.

LG LM7600 or LM6700

LCD panel with LED backlighting. 47 inches. $700-1200 (they both go on sale regularly). Very good TVs. A little bit over your budget for the 7600, though.

Sony HX820 or HX850

LCD panels with LED backlighting, 46 inches. $900-1600 (they go on sale sometimes). Extremely good picture quality for the price and excellent color accuracy. Over your budget unless you find a good deal.

Toshiba 47L6200U

LCD panel with LED backlighting. 47 inches, also comes in 42. Slim bezel design that is cheaper than LG's offerings, the 47'' is $800 on Amazon. Unsure of picture quality or color accuracy. You could also look into the L5200U, much cheaper but a much thicker bezel.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-02-2013, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I like LG for color accuracy that I consider to be "good enough" out of the box. Just swap it over to cinema or expert modes and tweak the basics using a setup disc. test pattern images, or even the built in picture wizard.

One alternative for you would be to get a TV/display with a color management system and adjustable grayscale - LG tends to offer these at lower price points. Then, if you feel it's required, pickup a calibration bundle from Spectracal or Chromapure. This will push your budget to it's absolute limit, but it might just be doable.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page