Could samsung's 6900 series be superior to the 7100 series? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 12-30-2012, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
winston9332's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,822
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
My usual bestbuy clearance aisle wandering led me to an open box samsung un50es6900 at an irresistible price. Few hours later, it was at home going head to head against my sony kdl46hx850 and samsung un46es7100.

Without any delay, i still would venture to say the sony is a better display for better black levels ( though inferior shadow detail than the 6900 ) and motion, but the 6900 is very, very close behind. Its black levels are not that far off the from the sony and even a dark room viewing experience is very close to the sony. Unfortunately, the 7100 is a distant third. It is lighter with worse motion. Viewing angles are better on the sony and 6900 too ( both admittedly suck compared to a plasma ).

So, is there something magical about these new 50" panels or is the 6900 simply a better set than the 7100?

--Picture menu
Mode: Movie
Backlight: 8
Contrast: 100
Brightness: 45
Sharpness: 0
Color: 54
Tint: G50/R50

Screen adjustment submenu:
Picture Size: Screen Fit
Position: [no change]

Auto Adjustment submenu: [Grayed out]

3D submenu: N/A

Advanced settings submenu:
Dynamic contrast: Off
Black tone: Off
Flesh tone: 0
RGB Only Mode: Off
Color space: Custom
White Balance: [see below]
10p White Balance: On
Gamma: +1
Expert Pattern: Off
xvYCC: Off
Motion Lighting: Off [grayed out]

Color Space submenu:
Color Space: Custom
Red: Red 76, Green 0, Blue 0
Green: Red 01, Green 50, Blue 0
Blue: Red 0, Green 05, Blue 50
Yellow: Red 95, Green 74, Blue 0
Cyan: Red 0, Green 50, Blue 50
Magenta: Red 50, Green 0, Blue 41

White balance submenu:
R-Offset: 25
G-Offset: 25
B-Offset: 25
R-Gain: 25
G-Gain: 25
B-Gain: 23


Picture options submenu
Color tone: Warm2
Digital Noise Filter: Off
MPEG Noise Filter: Off
HDMI black level: Normal [grayed out]
Film mode: Off: [grayed out]
Auto Motion Plus: Off
LED Motion Plus: On
winston9332 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 23 Old 01-01-2013, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
winston9332's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,822
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Had the 6900 up for the past few days and have really enjoyed. Cant get quite as black as the sony, but good tv. If anyone is interested, i will post settings
winston9332 is offline  
post #3 of 23 Old 01-02-2013, 05:03 AM
Newbie
 
drprime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys! I have some questions about this TV.
Does anybody know if this Tv mounts Spva panel in the 50" inch version? and 46" inch?
The panel is Ultra Clear (glossy) like the es7000 and es8000 series?
What about clouding and banding in this model?

Thank you
drprime is offline  
post #4 of 23 Old 01-02-2013, 08:00 AM
Member
 
greyjack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

My usual bestbuy clearance aisle wandering led me to an open box samsung un50es6900 at an irresistible price. Few hours later, it was at home going head to head against my sony kdl46hx850 and samsung un46es7100.
Without any delay, i still would venture to say the sony is a better display for better black levels ( though inferior shadow detail than the 6900 ) and motion, but the 6900 is very, very close behind. Its black levels are not that far off the from the sony and even a dark room viewing experience is very close to the sony. Unfortunately, the 7100 is a distant third. It is lighter with worse motion. Viewing angles are better on the sony and 6900 too ( both admittedly suck compared to a plasma ).
So, is there something magical about these new 50" panels or is the 6900 simply a better set than the 7100?

Do you game at all?
If so, whats the input lag on those tvs compared to each other.
thanks
greyjack is offline  
post #5 of 23 Old 01-02-2013, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
winston9332's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,822
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by drprime View Post

Hi guys! I have some questions about this TV.
Does anybody know if this Tv mounts Spva panel in the 50" inch version? and 46" inch?
The panel is Ultra Clear (glossy) like the es7000 and es8000 series?
What about clouding and banding in this model?
Thank you

6900 is a glossy matte akin to the 6500

no clouding with back light below 15 (max 20). mild clouding when cranked high.

minimum banding (my sony kdl55hx850 has worse).
winston9332 is offline  
post #6 of 23 Old 01-02-2013, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
winston9332's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,822
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by drprime View Post

Hi guys! I have some questions about this TV.
Does anybody know if this Tv mounts Spva panel in the 50" inch version? and 46" inch?
The panel is Ultra Clear (glossy) like the es7000 and es8000 series?
What about clouding and banding in this model?
Thank you

Sorrry - no gaming
winston9332 is offline  
post #7 of 23 Old 01-02-2013, 06:19 PM
Newbie
 
draw3d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Winston, I just bought the es6900, can you post your settings please. Thanks!
draw3d is offline  
post #8 of 23 Old 01-04-2013, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
winston9332's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,822
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by draw3d View Post

Winston, I just bought the es6900, can you post your settings please. Thanks!

Will do thisweekend
winston9332 is offline  
post #9 of 23 Old 01-05-2013, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
winston9332's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,822
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
picture settings posted on first post.
winston9332 is offline  
post #10 of 23 Old 01-05-2013, 05:47 PM
Member
 
greyjack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I checked it out, and the 6900 comes in a 46" version....

It looks like they're a newer model as well releasing in sep compared to the jan release of the 7100.

So maybe the build quality is affected.

Also I love the chrome finish on the 6900.

Was it cheaper then the 7100 for you?
greyjack is offline  
post #11 of 23 Old 01-05-2013, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
winston9332's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,822
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyjack View Post

I checked it out, and the 6900 comes in a 46" version....
It looks like they're a newer model as well releasing in sep compared to the jan release of the 7100.
So maybe the build quality is affected.
Also I love the chrome finish on the 6900.
Was it cheaper then the 7100 for you?


There was a 46d6900, but only a 50es6900 amd 55es6900 this year i believe
winston9332 is offline  
post #12 of 23 Old 01-05-2013, 09:46 PM
Member
 
greyjack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

There was a 46d6900, but only a 50es6900 amd 55es6900 this year i believe

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-UE46ES6900-LED-Smart-Silver/dp/B008F6AYU2

and if you have a look at this video, you will see its dated sep at some sort of convention
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vld_6r29u8U
greyjack is offline  
post #13 of 23 Old 01-06-2013, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
winston9332's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,822
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyjack View Post

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-UE46ES6900-LED-Smart-Silver/dp/B008F6AYU2
and if you have a look at this video, you will see its dated sep at some sort of convention
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vld_6r29u8U

Dont think it was released in the us...maybe a uk/eu only deal...
winston9332 is offline  
post #14 of 23 Old 01-06-2013, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
winston9332's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,822
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31


Comparison pic of 6900 and sony 850
winston9332 is offline  
post #15 of 23 Old 01-06-2013, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Tom Bley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: IL. USA
Posts: 2,246
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 21
You watch your tv's in the vertical position? Cool! So do I! I didn't think anyone else did this.
Tom Bley is online now  
post #16 of 23 Old 01-06-2013, 05:59 PM
Member
 
greyjack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post


Comparison pic of 6900 and sony 850

You can really see the blacks on the sony shine.

Did you calibrate the panels? Or are they just at stock

Thanks for taking the pics though, that's awesome
greyjack is offline  
post #17 of 23 Old 01-07-2013, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
winston9332's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,822
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyjack View Post

You can really see the blacks on the sony shine.
Did you calibrate the panels? Or are they just at stock
Thanks for taking the pics though, that's awesome

The panels are calibrated, though amateurishly. The HX850 is using CNET's settings. The 6900 is using my settings above.

Please note there is some ambient light in the picture; while the 850's filter is more reflective, it does look darker, which helps perceived black levels.
winston9332 is offline  
post #18 of 23 Old 01-09-2013, 07:25 PM
Newbie
 
draw3d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Finally got around to calibrating my tv with your settings, thanks again!
draw3d is offline  
post #19 of 23 Old 01-12-2013, 07:15 AM
Newbie
 
piko111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
winston9332 draw3d .I just bought the 50es6900, can you post your settings please. Thanks! tv is perfect but something i am doing wrong with calibrating. eek.gif
piko111 is offline  
post #20 of 23 Old 01-12-2013, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
winston9332's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,822
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by piko111 View Post

winston9332 draw3d .I just bought the 50es6900, can you post your settings please. Thanks! tv is perfect but something i am doing wrong with calibrating. eek.gif

Above in first post of thread
winston9332 is offline  
post #21 of 23 Old 03-03-2013, 07:57 PM
Member
 
wrahn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Winston 9332,

Thanks for your input. I currently have the UN46ES7500, and the picture is excellent. However, It's in a bright lite area and I get lots of reflection from the screen. Therefore, I plan on buying the UN50ES6900 because it has the semi-matte screen, and see how it works in the same room. If the picture is excellent and the reflection less, I'll keep the 6900. Then I'll use your calibrations.

Based on your observations, what is your evaluation of the 6900 reflections?

Once again, thanks for your inputs,
Wes
wrahn is offline  
post #22 of 23 Old 03-26-2013, 04:02 PM
Member
 
atct86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 168
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have seen a bunch of the 50es6900 for sale locally. I really like them for the thinner bezel, and cost savings vs a 7100. What are the key differences?
atct86 is offline  
post #23 of 23 Old 03-26-2013, 07:07 PM
Member
 
The Grim Reaper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am thinking I am going to order the 6900 in the 55 inch from Best Buy here in KC
The Grim Reaper is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off