led on a $700-800 budget? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 12-30-2012, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
getting a new tv soon, in the next week or so.... upgrading from a samsung 40 inch lcd 60hz 8 year old set.

wanted to go with plasma but for my needs it looks like led is the best choice...

looking for something in the 37-50 inch range.
laying down on a bed about 7-10 feet away

the use of the tv is a dual one, one being as a strictly bluray/dvd/non-hd source material viewer from discs, the second being a secondary monitor that plays video from my pc... mostly non-hd material such as something downloaded from youtube or a webisode from a website, or standard definition tv.... by dragging the video over from the primary monitor to the bigger screen to watch the video on media player classic home cinema.

would like 3-d for the futureproofing aspect and it's probably better to have it rather than not.

"smart tv" is not that important.

a headphone jack would be great, sound isn't that high of a priority.

the tv will be used ALOT for a wide variety of source material, probably moreso standard than high definition but 1080p/120hz i think is definitely a must.

any guidance is greatly appreciated, since i had my heart set on plasma i'm a bit lost on where to go with led.
all of the plasma burn in issues and complications seems like too much of a headache and doesn't meet my overall needs.

thank you! for any help given.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-05-2013, 06:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by watcher6 View Post

getting a new tv soon, in the next week or so.... upgrading from a samsung 40 inch lcd 60hz 8 year old set.
wanted to go with plasma but for my needs it looks like led is the best choice...
looking for something in the 37-50 inch range.
laying down on a bed about 7-10 feet away
the use of the tv is a dual one, one being as a strictly bluray/dvd/non-hd source material viewer from discs, the second being a secondary monitor that plays video from my pc... mostly non-hd material such as something downloaded from youtube or a webisode from a website, or standard definition tv.... by dragging the video over from the primary monitor to the bigger screen to watch the video on media player classic home cinema.
would like 3-d for the futureproofing aspect and it's probably better to have it rather than not.
"smart tv" is not that important.
a headphone jack would be great, sound isn't that high of a priority.
the tv will be used ALOT for a wide variety of source material, probably moreso standard than high definition but 1080p/120hz i think is definitely a must.
any guidance is greatly appreciated, since i had my heart set on plasma i'm a bit lost on where to go with led.
all of the plasma burn in issues and complications seems like too much of a headache and doesn't meet my overall needs.
thank you! for any help given.

Actually, I can recommend either of the following in 40" LED (one is "smart"/Internet-ready, the other is not):

Smart - SAMSUNG UN40EH5003FXZA (Mom has this one) - built-in wireless-N (dual-band at that) internal antenna along with a solid LED panel that displays a crisp PQ via an HD STB (Pace RNG110 STB rented from Comcast). This is a bedroom TV stand-mounted twelve feet away (on an angle) from the bedhead (six feet from the foot of the bed). The Internet connectivity WILL get better when the ROUTER is replaced with a dual-band router - which was in the cards prior to the TV's purchase due to other issues.

Not - SONY KDL-40BX450 (my own choice) - Since I had no need for Internet connectivity (this bedroom TV will occasionally double as a PC display), I went with the basic (though LED) BRAVIA in the same size. My only quibble is the lack of component/composite inputs (a mere one) - however, it DOES have two HDMI inputs - both are HDMI 1.4a-certified (along with HDMI-CEC - again, both ports). Currently, it's connected to a basic Motorola DCT-2224 SD STB (Comcast) via composite - I fully intend to purchase a Tivo Premiere to replace the STB (borrowed from another room temporarily) which will connect via HDMI (using a cable i already have). Like the SAMSUNG, the BRAVIA is stand-mounted (though it actually replaced a wall-mounted plasma).

Both TVs are still set at the factory defaults color wise.

Finally, neither is even $600 (retail).
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page