Official LG XXLM4600/XXLM4700 Owners Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 30 Old 12-31-2012, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I picked up one of these displays on the cheap over the holiday and was curious about what everyone else is finding on these TVs.

First, the LM4600 and LM4700 are the same display, the 4700 line includes the soundbar. Since this is a display forum I decided these two lines should be consolidated since they are both the same display units.

I had a horrible time getting one delivered. The first one came with a display defect which I discussed here. It took 3 more attempts before getting one that wasn't destroyed in shipping. I wish there was another option that didn't involve shipping.

I had been looking at the 6700 and 4600 models before deciding I couldn't stand the silver frame. One other interesting thing I noticed about the two models is that the 4600 has more inputs than the 6700. I could live without the "smart" TV and 240Hz refresh so the 4600 looked like a good entry 3D display for the family room.

The glare on the screen is pretty strong, and something to pay attention to if you're thinking about one of these sets. This is as bad as some of the samsung plasmas which I always thought had the worst glare.

The firmware which comes on the TV is lacking a few of the features and includes some support for things NOT included in this set. Some of the lacking features are the TruMotion. I'm not sure if it's enabled or disabled, there are no menu items to indicate anything about TruMotion. LG says they are aware of this, and there will be support in a future firmware relase.

Another interesting twist on the set has to do with 3D. Before 3D is active you're allow to bring up a 3D menu which is very cryptic and not easy to understand. There are 4 choices 2D->3D, top-bottom, side-by-side, and sequental frame modes. It doesn't appear to matter which you select, the set will do what it wants. It often defaults to the sequental frame, which is active 3D and this set only supports passive 3D. (A firmware update will dim out the sequental option, but it's still displayed). Getting the 3D to work well can be difficult. I have had the most difficult time with Disney 3D movies. The "cross talk" appears unless I can get my Sony player and TV to work correctly. I've also tried a LG 3D Blu player just to make sure it's the TV and not the blu player, the results were similar, but the LG blu did integrate with the TV a bit better. Another 3D option promised in the marketing material is "3d-depth" adjustment, this feature is not currently supported. The 3d-viewing angle is supported, but only seems to shift the ghosted image from left to righ, never eliminating it.

I haven't done a full calibration on it yet, I have done the built-in easy (or perfect) picture which I was quite impressed with. It was pretty easy to follow and did a good job getting the display configured. I'll be doing a full calibration when I get a chance.

I did look at some of the "service menu" stuff. The access code is 0413 if you choose to check these out. This includes test images to check for bad pixels which I found most sets have at least one, but I didn't have any which were noticable at normal viewing distance.

A note on the 3D glasses, they aren't the "good ones" show in the marketing material. These are flimsy glasses which are easy to bend and flex. I picked up a set of the solid passive glasses which I like better.

Some other random findings:
I did open up one of these to check out the interior and it's pretty simple.There is a large power supply board, an I/O board and one other board which I'm not clear of it's function yet. The I/O board has a spot for a second USB jack, I didn't bother to solder one on and see if it works, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's a second USB port on the back (of course you can likely just hook up a hub for the same functionality).

One other note about using a USB drive, it seems that you should "unmount" the drive when done before powering down. There appear to be some reports of damaging the drives if the drive isn't unmounted. This can easily be done with the quick menu, select the USB drive and unmount it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 12-31-2012, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Support Pages:
LM4600
LM4700

User Manuals:
LM4600
LM4700

User Guide:
LM4600

Firmware:
(If anyone has a previous version of the firmware please let me know, I'd like to get a copy of the eariler versions to track what they're changing)
Version 03.40.08 - To enhance 3D performance
post #3 of 30 Old 01-03-2013, 04:41 AM

Liked: 12
Hi Jeff
Looks like we have similar TVs. I recently purchased an LM5850 which is the LM5800 packaged with a BP420 bluray player from Costco Canada. Our TVs must be very similar in that the manual is the same and so to is the firmware. I'm on the 03.40.08 version as well so I cannot help you re earlier versions.

I started an Official LG lm5800/5850 thread but so far I've had no replies.

With regards to 3D I haven't had any problems with "cross talk". The TV always defaults to "side by side" and the 3D effect is very good. I've watched 3D movies played through my PS3 as well as the BP420 and both give me a great picture. I did have difficulties initially with the PS3 but that was due to it not being configured correctly for 3D. My only complaint with the 3D mode on this set is that once a 3D movie is in progress the settings menu is no longer accessible. When viewed in a semi darkened room I find the firmware selected backlight setting to be too bright and it cannot be adjusted. The TV appears to defalt to the "Standard" settings mode but with the Backlight elevated. Lowering the Backlight setting prior to starting the movie does not seem to help. I've even set the Backlight to '0' and the set still seems to be in torch mode once the 3D movie starts. This technique does seem to work, however, when using the 2D to 3D feature. The LM6700 model, and other higher models I assume, do have the ability to adjust the 3D picture settings on the fly, so it's firmware related. Annoying!

Got the Disney 'WOW" disc for Christmas and have spent some time calibrating the set. Will post my settings if you are interested.

Regards.

Kevin
post #4 of 30 Old 01-03-2013, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hi Kevin, I was thinking about including your 5800 series in the list, but for some reason decided not to. I was looking around at global firmware releases and discovered there's another LM5800 in japan which isn't the same as yours. The japanese LM5800 is a smart TV.

I don't think LG spent a lot of time getting the 3D features well supported. I didn't notice the backlight issue, but I'm not surprised to know that's how it works. The cross talk is something that's pretty slight,but I've seen it a lot. I'm still running the older firmware (03.03.36) I did see others here discussing that firmware release and hoping someone can get me a copy. I'll likely update the firmware and see if that fixes the problem I've been having with the crosstalk.

I had seen comments about the poor quality of the internal speakers. I won't say I don't agreee, but I discovered they can sound "OK". There's a in the support (red) buttone in the settings menu which has some test sequences for picture and audio. I was surprised that the audio test sounds way better than I expected. I'll have to investigate what they're doing there. I'll try to hack around with that and see if I can figure what they're doing.

I do really like one freature of the "energy savings". My wife like some of the audio streaming features of the smart blurays and directv. My receiver isn't 3D compatible, so I'm need to run my 3D sources (blu/directv) to the TV and use the optical out to supply audio to the receiver. The "screen off" feature is great for keeping the audio (music) streaming while the display is off.
post #5 of 30 Old 01-03-2013, 11:46 AM

Hi again Jeff. Nice to know that someone else is out there that I can talk to about these Tvs.

I did not have to update the firmware on my TV as it came with the 03.40.08 version installed. You can download it from the LG website however. As far as crosstalk, I have only seen it once and this was in the shark scene in the Imax "under the sea" bluray. The shark's tail had fairly obvious crosstalk. I have watched Titanic, Hugo, kung fu panda 2, Avatar, and Clash of the Titans and none exhibited any signs of crosstalk. In fact the 3D on Avatar, Hugo, and Titanic was brilliant.

My receiver isn't 3D compatible either so I'm using the same set-up as you.
post #6 of 30 Old 01-03-2013, 02:31 PM

Liked: 10
I just purchased the 47LM4600 and had the same question about Trumotion and why there aren't any options to toggle it on/off. Some discussion here:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1437359/lg-47lm4600/90#post_22777426

The LG rep said trumotion is there and set on Low. There is no way to adjust it. Still looking around AVS to see if anybody else found anything.

That thread above has some good discussion with 47LM4600 owners so maybe get them to join this thread.
post #7 of 30 Old 01-03-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjxlee View Post

I just purchased the 47LM4600 and had the same question about Trumotion and why there aren't any options to toggle it on/off. Some discussion here:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1437359/lg-47lm4600/90#post_22777426
The LG rep said trumotion is there and set on Low. There is no way to adjust it. Still looking around AVS to see if anybody else found anything.
That thread above has some good discussion with 47LM4600 owners so maybe get them to join this thread.

There have been discussions all year long regarding the lack of Trumotion on all the LM series Tvs below the LM7200. See the discussion in this thread :
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1408659/lg-trumotion-missing-specific-to-42lm-47lm-55lm-series-excludes-lm7600-and-newer/210

It's unfortunate that LG can get away with advertising a feature in large bold print on the box of every LM series TV it sells that in reality is not available. It seems that only the LM7200, 7600, 8600 and 9600 series Tvs have the full Trumotion implemented.
post #8 of 30 Old 01-04-2013, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navigationroad View Post

There have been discussions all year long regarding the lack of Trumotion on all the LM series Tvs below the LM7200. See the discussion in this thread :
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1408659/lg-trumotion-missing-specific-to-42lm-47lm-55lm-series-excludes-lm7600-and-newer/210
It's unfortunate that LG can get away with advertising a feature in large bold print on the box of every LM series TV it sells that in reality is not available. It seems that only the LM7200, 7600, 8600 and 9600 series Tvs have the full Trumotion implemented.

Actually, it's illegal for them to market a feature if they don't/won't support it. This falls under the implied warranty under the uniform commercial code(UCC) which is law in most states. This includes a warranty of merchantability and fitness. These state the the item purchased should function as expected under normal use. Fitness puts the responsibility on the merchant that the item meets the requirements stated to the consumer as part of their decision on purchasing the merchandise. It's the merchants responsibilty, not the consumer, to be sure the product does what it's stated to do. There can be a question to if the retailer or manufacturer is the merchant, but I've seen the courts put the responsibility on the manufacturer when the product doesn't support the listed product features. I thought the reason for this was that the retailers are just acting as agents for the manufacturers and can't be expected to validate every product the retailer sells does what it's suppose to.
post #9 of 30 Old 01-04-2013, 09:02 PM

Just curious if you've calibrated yet and wondered what your settings were. Just purchased the 47LM4700 to replace a 2 and 1/2 year old Samsung 3D TV that now has four horizontal lines going through the picture. I've tested out a few Blu-Rays...Avatar, Cars 2, How to Train Your Dragon, and The Polar Express. The new LG by far out performs the Samsung on 3D picture. Crosstalk was a huge problem with movies, especially The Polar Express which looked much better on the LG, and the active shutter glasses on the Samsung were a pain. So far I'm much happier using the passive glasses, although the glasses that came with the TV are pretty cheap.

I haven't hooked the sound bar up. I was hoping to use it on another TV...is this possible? I noticed that there are sound bar controls on the remote for the TV. I'm not too concerned about that since I use a Logitech Harmony remote, and I figured I would just program that to control the volume on the sound bar.

Has anyone adjusted the 3D viewpoint when watching 3D content? If so, what did you leave it at? Even though the depth slider is greyed out, adjusting the viewpoint seemed to adjust the depth. Going from 0 to -10 seemed to pretty much flatten the image. Going above 0 seemed to add more depth. I ended up leaving my viewpoint setting at 5.
post #10 of 30 Old 01-05-2013, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

dperkins, I found the view point change shows with the cross-talk and you can move the shifted image from the left to the right and back. It was interesting to play with, but I haven't found an good use for it yet. I really want the depth enabled. I did see the depth enabled when I was streaming some AVHC files, but that was 2-D without 3D enabled so I wasn't sure why it was enabled. I didn't investigate it further.

I'm currently trying to figure out what the "hockey issue" is with these TVs. I saw it mentioned in another thread and with the IIHF tourney going on now I can actually watch some hockey. I've seen a few things, but by far the most annoying is the officials flashing with movement. I've also seen some edge enhancement type glow around black text on the white boards. Another thing I've noticed with very limited viewing is what I'd say is similar to a reverse pull-down pattern where an image seems to jump forward/backward moving forward in time.
post #11 of 30 Old 01-15-2013, 09:29 AM

Hi All, I too own a 47LM4600 (got it on a deal @ Fry's). I had to use the viewpoint settings couple of times while watching Avengers 3D movie via VUDU ( I have a LG smart 3D bluray player). In couple of scenes it had lot of cross talk in the background. The person in focus was fine, but the background wasn't. After changing view point background was aligned properly. But after few scenes I had to change it again.
post #12 of 30 Old 01-29-2013, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

mvadu, did you update the firmware of the TV? The firmware that was found on most of the TVs sold over the Christmas season have firmware with really bad 3D performance. The latest version (listed above) does a better job. That said... I've found the TV (with old fw) operated in several modes... horrible cross-talk, moderate cross-talk, and no cross-talk. I didn't find a reason for this, but there were three different states the TV/Blu player would operate in. When the cross-talk problem happens any slight movement of my head causes a large shift on the screen. The adjusment you mentioned affects that. When it's working properly there's a slight shift when I move my head slightly. Really different performance depending on how it's functioning.
post #13 of 30 Old 02-25-2013, 03:18 PM

I have been looking to upgrade to this television. I like the price, and with new TV tech a couple years around the corner I cannot see myself spending a small fortune, yet. Also, I really like the passive 3d, but I would like to know what type of input lag people are getting from 3d gaming, or 2d gaming? Higher LG models advertise a two player split-screen capability where each player sees a whole screen. I understand most 3d TVs can do this and it is mostly a trick produced by having glasses with 2 right or 2 left lenses. Can the LM4600 do this, and does that add extra input lag time? Will I enjoy 3d gaming on this set?
post #14 of 30 Old 02-28-2013, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

That split screen 2 player mode is listed on the model specs, but I'm not sure it has been implimented yet. I haven't seen those glasses, but I haven't looked too hard.

Strike that, it looks like they've changed the product description.
post #15 of 30 Old 03-02-2013, 11:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I just purchased the 47LM4700. So far I like it. I watched a couple of 3D movies last night looked great. Went to watch another tonight & it doesn't look right, I tried a couple movies including one I watch last night, Spiderman, and now the 3D isn't the same, I set the mode correctly, left & right, but it wasn't correct, looked blurry and the characters looked half 3d half blurred. I downloaded 3.40.08 & installed it. After the TV restarted I tried again but got the same bad 3D. As I was writing this, I tried again & all of the 3D movies look great again, have any of you seen issues with this?
post #16 of 30 Old 03-03-2013, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indept View Post

I just purchased the 47LM4700. So far I like it. I watched a couple of 3D movies last night looked great. Went to watch another tonight & it doesn't look right, I tried a couple movies including one I watch last night, Spiderman, and now the 3D isn't the same, I set the mode correctly, left & right, but it wasn't correct, looked blurry and the characters looked half 3d half blurred. I downloaded 3.40.08 & installed it. After the TV restarted I tried again but got the same bad 3D. As I was writing this, I tried again & all of the 3D movies look great again, have any of you seen issues with this?

I don't know a great deal about this but it is my understanding that Bluray 3D uses a process called MVC or Multiview Video Coding and not side by side. Don't select the side by side format when the movie starts. The TV auto detects the MVC and defaults to the correct settings. Just accept the default setting and you should be fine. I believe SbS is used for watching Netflix or other downloaded 3D videos and 3D gaming, but like I said I'm no expert on this. I just wish LG included better documentation with there products. It would save their customers, and probably them as well, many hours of problems.
post #17 of 30 Old 03-03-2013, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the reply.
I was watching 3D movies from comcast, not Bluray. When the movie starts it tells you to set for side to side or top & bottom so I press the 3D button & select it, I didn't know it auto selects. Is auto select a setting I need to activate or does it usually do it on it's own?
post #18 of 30 Old 03-03-2013, 01:00 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the reply.
I was watching 3D movies from comcast, not Bluray. When the movie starts it tells you to set for side to side or top & bottom so I press the 3D button & select it, I didn't know it auto selects. Is auto select a setting I need to activate or does it usually do it on it's own?

Like I mentioned earlier I'm not an expert when it comes to this but I think the TV only automatically detects and selects the correct setting when playing a 3D bluray disc. If comcast tells you to select either SbS or top and bottom you would have to manually select the option. I believe SbS is the most popular method so I would try that first as you have been doing. This probably isn't much help. Hopefully someone who has downloaded 3D movies will chime in and give you some better advice.
post #19 of 30 Old 03-03-2013, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Comcast starts by putting 2 images above & below or left & right depending on the movie & tells you to select the correct so you're seeing 1 image. I just tried it again an hour ago & it worked fine so all I can do is make sure it's not an issue while I can still return it for a refund. I bought it at BJ's club and they only give 30 days return unlike Sams & Costco that give 90 days.
post #20 of 30 Old 03-03-2013, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
Quote:

Comcast starts by putting 2 images above & below or left & right depending on the movie & tells you to select the correct so you're seeing 1 image. I just tried it again an hour ago & it worked fine so all I can do is make sure it's not an issue while I can still return it for a refund. I bought it at BJ's club and they only give 30 days return unlike Sams & Costco that give 90 days.

Quality is terrible as comcast 3D is just 540i as it splits the 1080i signal for each eye.
post #21 of 30 Old 03-03-2013, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmay91472 View Post

Quality is terrible as comcast 3D is just 540i as it splits the 1080i signal for each eye.

Then I AM impressed because I thought the quality was good, I will have to get a Blu ray 3D player then to see what good 3D looks like.
post #22 of 30 Old 03-03-2013, 06:20 PM
Advanced Member

it is OFFICIAL: LG documentation sucks. reading the manual, I know more about how to put the TV on a table than what settings are available or mean?????? The TV is real nice but it would be good if they walked you through the basics like other manufacturers. I have a 6 year old Philips Plasma and 2 new Vizio's (a 42" & a 70") and they do a much better job at walking you through settings than LG does.
post #23 of 30 Old 03-03-2013, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Did you read the paper docs, or the embedded docs? I don't remember exact specifics, but documentation stored on the TV are better than the paper docs which I believe focus on setup.
post #24 of 30 Old 03-03-2013, 07:06 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks, there is a Little more detail there, but other manufacturers offer more detail in their downloadable PDF's which is better because the on TV manual doesn't give you the option to actually set those settings while reading the manual, it exits TV mode to read the manual.
post #25 of 30 Old 03-08-2013, 09:40 PM
Advanced Member

Boy what a slow thread... biggrin.gif

has anyone else notice that these TV's (I have the 47LM4700) seem to have "pancake makeup" effect. I notice it mostly while watching Jay Leno. Some skin tones seem to be fine but jay has major skin issues. eek.gif
gonzo90017 likes this.
post #26 of 30 Old 03-10-2013, 08:12 AM

I tried to update but when I click on the folder, it says folder is empty. What am I doing wrong?
post #27 of 30 Old 03-11-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:

Boy what a slow thread... biggrin.gif

has anyone else notice that these TV's (I have the 47LM4700) seem to have "pancake makeup" effect. I notice it mostly while watching Jay Leno. Some skin tones seem to be fine but jay has major skin issues. eek.gif

"There is nothing wrong with your television set. Do not attempt to adjust the picture..."
post #28 of 30 Old 03-22-2013, 03:57 PM

I have one question if someone could help me out.

I would like to access the public display menu (Hold Menu for 5 seconds, after menu disappears, pres 1105 then OK/Enter)...(I have 32ls3400 and it worked on there), but it will not work on my 47LM4600:mad:.

I bought this type of TVs for hotel and want to control the volume so it will not bother guests next door. It's called min. volume/max. volume.

Looking for reply and ideas.

Thank you.

Below are images on my LG 32LS3400

post #29 of 30 Old 05-04-2013, 10:43 AM

Perhaps someone could help me too confused.gif. I have the 47LM4600 and DirecTV (SD, not HD). My DirecTV receiver is set to 16x9. When I change the aspect ratio on the TV to ZOOM it leaves a 1.5" black bar across the bottom of the screen, and everything appears a little "squished". Not severely squished, but still... I've tried setting my DirecTV to 4:3 but it still does the same thing.
I thought ZOOM would simply zoom in to fill the screen width without affecting the aspect ratio. On my PJ it's called LETTERBOX mode. But I digress..
Am I missing something here? My TV manufacture date is Jan 2013 with the latest 03.40.09 firmware.

TIA
post #30 of 30 Old 07-04-2013, 02:58 PM

Hi guys i hope to some one read this and give me a answer because i lose the hope about this tv i buy a lg 47 3d lm4700 in a auction on ebay so the tv comes good everyting its good but the problem goes with the 3D, i buy in auction and the lg glasses are not incluided, not problem because in my home i have a two pair of AG-G310 so the problem its that with the glasses you dont can see the 3D, also the tv stay in 3D mode i put jurasic park on dlna and you can see that the picture are like others 3d tvs but dont can see 3d? somebody have this issues can be fixed? i need help thanks
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg 55 Inch Led 3d Tv W Soundbar 55lm4700 , Lg 60pm6700 Plasma Hdtv , Yamaha Htr 5850 Xm Ready 6 1 Channel A V Surround Receiver Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page