OFFICIAL Samsung Smart TV "Evolution Kit" Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #271 of 1816 Old 03-19-2013, 01:25 PM
Newbie
 
phobium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rckrz6 View Post

it plugs directly into the board

"Plugs" as opposed to soldered on.

Is the Evolution Kit port just as fast as the actual processor socket that the native processor is installed on? That's hard to believe.
phobium is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #272 of 1816 Old 03-19-2013, 01:38 PM
Member
 
sillycargt4cs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Here is a usefull picture the ek port is center/right on this picture www.chipworks.com/media/wpmu/uploads/blogs.dir/4/files/2012/04/board-on-tv.jpg
sillycargt4cs is offline  
post #273 of 1816 Old 03-19-2013, 04:50 PM
Senior Member
 
OugaBooga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by reaver shado View Post

We picked up our samsung plasma (PN60E8000) in the summer, we had a very difficult time deciding (between samsung and pana), but the EVO kit was one of a few deciding factors. My only major complaint is in regards to 3D, it's not worth if for movies IMO but gaming is so worth it. Unfortunately, HDMI 1.3 doesn't do 3d justice for gaming (720p60, 1080p24 don't even try), and this was the majority reason we settled with the samsung for 3d. Samsung used to offer a work around on the D-series plasma models, checkerboard mode, but it seems to only available on the LED-LCD ES series last year.

Hoping that the evo kit either, upgrades to HDMI 2.0 or added back checkerboard mode (or alternatives) to plasma

Anyone have any thoughts, or seen any info regarding evo and 3d?

I previously had a c8000 plasma & remember it having the checkerboard mode but i don't know of any workaround samsung themselves ever had for c or d.
Do you have additional info on this "workaround", whats it do & or How to do it ?
Are you talking about the nvidia 3d glasses with dongle trick to run 1080 @30p or was it 60p ?
Thx for reminding me of cause it was 1 of the reasons i was mad with 3d gaming being restricted to 720 to get full 60p.

Also, i think "samsung" is waiting for most of the 2012 evo kit tv's to be sold out/off before releasing more then 1 version of evo kit.

SEK-2000/ZA....Any GOOD ?
OugaBooga is offline  
post #274 of 1816 Old 03-19-2013, 04:53 PM
Member
 
CraigerCSM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillycargt4cs View Post

Here is a usefull picture the ek port is center/right on this picture www.chipworks.com/media/wpmu/uploads/blogs.dir/4/files/2012/04/board-on-tv.jpg

Too bad Samsung could have found a way just to replace that whole board with the latest one. Samsung could have had a door instead of a sticker on the back of the HDTV. Unless those cables are soldered on that board?
CraigerCSM is offline  
post #275 of 1816 Old 03-19-2013, 09:53 PM
Senior Member
 
deria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by phobium View Post

"Plugs" as opposed to soldered on.

Is the Evolution Kit port just as fast as the actual processor socket that the native processor is installed on? That's hard to believe.

I wouldn't worry about the speed. It seems pretty clear that the evolution kit essentially *IS* the board. It has a CPU, a GPU, and apparently even a network port -- without having the thing in front of me it is hard to say anything with certainty, but it looks like it more or less completely replaces your existing board and just uses the port for communications with the panel and the ports. As for speed... your graphics card in your PC is an add-on card, and you don't see people arguing that its slower than an onboard card. As long as the system bus is fast enough, there is no reason you should assume any performance issue related to the fact that its an add-on card vs. being soldered to the original board.

If you want to worry about something, worry about the horrible support Samsung has given the 2012 TVs on every front from the gesture and voice "control" to the remarkably lackluster app selection and slower than slow SmartHub interface that takes forever to do simple things like installing updates. Worry about that continuing into 2013 if you want something to worry abo9ut.
phobium likes this.
deria is offline  
post #276 of 1816 Old 03-20-2013, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member
 
Mavinwow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 711
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 139
As found by Anthony:

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1363672974

Released in April for 299 Euros, which is ~$386 US.

With the following mod comment:

"No, the Smart Evolution Kit will have no effect on picture quality or picture setting options. It is purely a processor for the Smart Hub platform, so it speeds up things and adds the new layout and features of the Smart Hub.

The only difference it will make in regards to picture quality, according to Samsung, is that it has a slightly better web video processor. But this will not affect typical watching - only when going through the browser or Smart Hub.

I have just had this re-confirmed by Samsung.

But it sounds like a crap situation. I haven't heard anything about this in the Nordic. Can you post a link to where you have been posting?"

My ES8000 settings, calibrated with an i1D3 and calman: Standard Mode, Movie Mode (out of date, will update soon)
CalMAN 5 Novice Walkthrough
Mavinwow is offline  
post #277 of 1816 Old 03-20-2013, 09:12 AM
Newbie
 
phobium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
http://samsungevolutionkit.com/evolution-kit-coming-to-us-in-may-for-299/

Looks like Evolution Kit launching in May for 299 USD for the United States
phobium is offline  
post #278 of 1816 Old 03-20-2013, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member
 
digimat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 989
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavinwow View Post

As found by Anthony:

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1363672974

Released in April for 299 Euros, which is ~$386 US.

With the following mod comment:

"No, the Smart Evolution Kit will have no effect on picture quality or picture setting options. It is purely a processor for the Smart Hub platform, so it speeds up things and adds the new layout and features of the Smart Hub.

The only difference it will make in regards to picture quality, according to Samsung, is that it has a slightly better web video processor. But this will not affect typical watching - only when going through the browser or Smart Hub.

I have just had this re-confirmed by Samsung.

But it sounds like a crap situation. I haven't heard anything about this in the Nordic. Can you post a link to where you have been posting?"

If they are increasing the GPU then there may in fact be an improvement in 3D. Doesn't seem worth it for just the Smart Hub update.... most of the so called "smart" features I can't even use because I'm in Canada.
digimat is offline  
post #279 of 1816 Old 03-20-2013, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member
 
Mavinwow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 711
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 139
I think theres really no way to know until someone has it in their hands and hooked up to their TV. For $299 MSRP, you will probably be able to pick this thing up for $250, which is fairly reasonable if it does more than smarthub.

My ES8000 settings, calibrated with an i1D3 and calman: Standard Mode, Movie Mode (out of date, will update soon)
CalMAN 5 Novice Walkthrough
Mavinwow is offline  
post #280 of 1816 Old 03-20-2013, 11:11 AM
Senior Member
 
OugaBooga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
hahaha this guy is pissed :

Dee Flowers•1 hours ago−

the EVO kit so far is a SCAM, i can't believe that samsung thinks ppl are that desperate & stupid to be fooled into buying what they could have fixed through FW update.
I know it has a quad core but what about the dual core in the TV? why is that processing being wasted? it's like samsung says HEY guys you can buy a 2nd pair of runners but they'll be both left foot runners. WTF !!! it's like getting an engine upgrade from 4 cylinder to 8 but they dissable 2 cylinders,you already paid for it so WTF why waste it. man this upsets me.............................................
I BET 70-90% of people that bought these TV's for the evo kit upgrade did it so they could get better PQ, not some BS apps they never use, i have a computer, game console & cellphone, why do i need theese stupid apps on my TV? Just make sure i can connect my other devices to the TV.SIMPLE THANKYOU ! sumsung scumbags

SEK-2000/ZA....Any GOOD ?
OugaBooga is offline  
post #281 of 1816 Old 03-20-2013, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member
 
digimat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 989
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 218
haha he's totally right... total marketing ********. They even advertised at CES that it will infact improve the picture quality.
digimat is offline  
post #282 of 1816 Old 03-21-2013, 05:36 PM
Member
 
Fast GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It is a waste of money year 1 but think of what might be updated in years 2-4.
Fast GTO is offline  
post #283 of 1816 Old 03-22-2013, 01:32 PM
Senior Member
 
OugaBooga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast GTO View Post

It is a waste of money year 1 but think of what might be updated in years 2-4.

agreed

SEK-2000/ZA....Any GOOD ?
OugaBooga is offline  
post #284 of 1816 Old 03-22-2013, 04:51 PM
Member
 
CraigerCSM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Samsung should have had the evolution kit come with this software on its new Home Sync box. It based on Android Jelly Bean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMYgSzUj0fg
CraigerCSM is offline  
post #285 of 1816 Old 03-23-2013, 02:59 AM
Member
 
sillycargt4cs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigerCSM View Post

Samsung should have had the evolution kit come with this software on its new Home Sync box. It based on Android Jelly Bean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMYgSzUj0fg
That will be in the 2014 Evo kit when they realise the smart hub sucks.
As we won't want to buy a new Evo kit for 4 years just for a redesign of what we have already.
2013 = smart hub refresh
2014 = home synch
2015 = home synch refresh
2016 = ???
sillycargt4cs is offline  
post #286 of 1816 Old 03-23-2013, 02:26 PM
Newbie
 
bikerider99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillycargt4cs View Post

That will be in the 2014 Evo kit when they realise the smart hub sucks.
As we won't want to buy a new Evo kit for 4 years just for a redesign of what we have already.
2013 = smart hub refresh
2014 = home synch
2015 = home synch refresh
2016 = ???

Software can always be pushed over the wire, a quad core and 4G ram might be a little difficult to fit into the wire. $300 for double the CPU power + 4x the RAM is not bad at all, most likely this can be had for $250sh. The alternative to this is to buy a new TV and dish out 10x that, so I'm not sure why people complain. If you don't use the Smart features, then you shouldn't have bought a smart TV in the first place.
If this kit fixes the voice and gesture issues, if the new smart remote is better than the old one and external keyboard can be used not just for web browsing but applications as well, I mean all these plus the juiced up speed are well worth the money.
bikerider99 is offline  
post #287 of 1816 Old 03-24-2013, 05:29 PM
Member
 
CraigerCSM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerider99 View Post

Software can always be pushed over the wire, a quad core and 4G ram might be a little difficult to fit into the wire. $300 for double the CPU power + 4x the RAM is not bad at all, most likely this can be had for $250sh. The alternative to this is to buy a new TV and dish out 10x that, so I'm not sure why people complain. If you don't use the Smart features, then you shouldn't have bought a smart TV in the first place.
If this kit fixes the voice and gesture issues, if the new smart remote is better than the old one and external keyboard can be used not just for web browsing but applications as well, I mean all these plus the juiced up speed are well worth the money.

The question is will Samsung optimize the 2013 Smart Hub software and web browser for the quad core processor and 4 gigs of ram. They didn't do that for the 2012 Smart Hub software with a dual core processor and 1 gig of ram. I think that also has to do with needing to connect to Samsung's server in addition to connecting to the internet. Too many people on Samsung's server can also slow down performance even with having a fast internet connection right?

Its also funny how Samsung says their new 2013 Smart Hub will run with a dual core processor. Which makes me wonder how much faster the quad core processor and 4 gigs of ram will be if its not optimized for the kit.

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN55F7100AFXZA
CraigerCSM is offline  
post #288 of 1816 Old 03-24-2013, 09:13 PM
Newbie
 
bikerider99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I do expect a few improvements as per my previous post, I guess we'll have to wait and see. I got the 8000 plasma and for what I can tell this is a great TV right out of the box, not perfect though. You link to the 2013 7100 model which apparently won't get the quad core, however the 2013 8000 does get it. rolleyes.gif
bikerider99 is offline  
post #289 of 1816 Old 03-25-2013, 02:36 AM
Newbie
 
dataplus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there an official list of smart TVs which can be adapted using the kit?

As a UK owner of a Samsung UE55ES6800 55-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p 3D Slim LED Smart TV
with Dual Core Processor I have been unable to find such a list
Does any one out there know of one?
dataplus is offline  
post #290 of 1816 Old 03-25-2013, 06:03 AM
Advanced Member
 
Mavinwow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 711
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 139
its only the "premium" sets, 7500 and 8000, not your set unfortunately.

My ES8000 settings, calibrated with an i1D3 and calman: Standard Mode, Movie Mode (out of date, will update soon)
CalMAN 5 Novice Walkthrough
Mavinwow is offline  
post #291 of 1816 Old 03-25-2013, 11:38 AM
Newbie
 
polluted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I actually had an Evolution Kit in my hands at home on the weekend.

Unfortunately, I wasnt able to hook it up to my ES8000 as a new firmware is required to use it and I wasn't prepared (read: allowed) to manually update to test firmware to play around.

I was gently warned to be disappointed, when I'm handed my own unit, as the new hub is still quite slow.

Of note, the manufacture date on the label was: October 2012. They've had these sitting around for ages.

I will say, however, that the new SG4 has some pretty amazing software if you're running an ES8000. The screen on it is breathtaking. Almost a 'must purchase' as an ES8000 owner.
polluted is offline  
post #292 of 1816 Old 03-25-2013, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member
 
Mavinwow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 711
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by polluted View Post

I actually had an Evolution Kit in my hands at home on the weekend.

Unfortunately, I wasnt able to hook it up to my ES8000 as a new firmware is required to use it and I wasn't prepared (read: allowed) to manually update to test firmware to play around.

I was gently warned to be disappointed, when I'm handed my own unit, as the new hub is still quite slow.

Of note, the manufacture date on the label was: October 2012. They've had these sitting around for ages.

I will say, however, that the new SG4 has some pretty amazing software if you're running an ES8000. The screen on it is breathtaking. Almost a 'must purchase' as an ES8000 owner.

Details?? Can you ask whoever your contact is if we get the new picture options in the F8000 menu, like cinema black and Smart LED? Disappointed as in the smarthub is slower than the F8000?

I'm surprised to hear the manufacturing date, as I have been lead to believe from multiple sources that it was still in development as recently as last month.

My ES8000 settings, calibrated with an i1D3 and calman: Standard Mode, Movie Mode (out of date, will update soon)
CalMAN 5 Novice Walkthrough
Mavinwow is offline  
post #293 of 1816 Old 03-25-2013, 12:43 PM
Newbie
 
polluted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavinwow View Post

Details?? Can you ask whoever your contact is if we get the new picture options in the F8000 menu, like cinema black and Smart LED? Disappointed as in the smarthub is slower than the F8000?

I'm surprised to hear the manufacturing date, as I have been lead to believe from multiple sources that it was still in development as recently as last month.

Disappointed, as in it's not as fast as you'd expect, considering that it's a quad-core processor. He suggested to me that I'd say, 'why did I even bother?'

I'll see what more I can find out re: menu additions, etc.

The Evolution Kit was, as far as I know, final gear. Had the correct labelling, certification logos, etc. Definitely October 2012 manufacturer date. The firmware is still being worked on, AFAIK.

He was much more excited about the new software bridging the Samsung mobile and TV products. Must say that I am, too.
polluted is offline  
post #294 of 1816 Old 03-25-2013, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member
 
Mavinwow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 711
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by polluted View Post

Disappointed, as in it's not as fast as you'd expect, considering that it's a quad-core processor. He suggested to me that I'd say, 'why did I even bother?'

I'll see what more I can find out re: menu additions, etc.

The Evolution Kit was, as far as I know, final gear. Had the correct labelling, certification logos, etc. Definitely October 2012 manufacturer date. The firmware is still being worked on, AFAIK.

He was much more excited about the new software bridging the Samsung mobile and TV products. Must say that I am, too.

Thanks for the update. The internet anxiously awaits your findings re: menu picture option items!

If all this thing does is update the smart hub, and poorly at that, I predict a massive product failure.

My ES8000 settings, calibrated with an i1D3 and calman: Standard Mode, Movie Mode (out of date, will update soon)
CalMAN 5 Novice Walkthrough
Mavinwow is offline  
post #295 of 1816 Old 03-25-2013, 02:24 PM
Member
 
CraigerCSM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I wonder if you can return the evolution kit if you don't like it? I guess the ES 8000 and ES 7500 would revert back to the previous software and still work fine not messing it up?
CraigerCSM is offline  
post #296 of 1816 Old 03-25-2013, 02:40 PM
Newbie
 
bikerider99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Interesting. IMO this kit should be a high priority for Samsung TV division, based on its success (or failure) the TV sales can skyrocket or sink. Personally I believe the marketing campaign has been a little overhyped in terms of making people believe that the kit will pretty much make the whole 2012 TV work just like the new 2013 one. While it sounds great I really doubt that will happen, especially when it comes to PQ and other features non Smart Hub related.
As for speed, in my case the present internet speed is pretty good, I can stream HD video online with no issues or hiccups. One thing I have had issues with is streaming videos from my laptop or the Samsing Note II via All-share. It is choppy and I hope the added processing power will fix this. Also the use of the external keyboard/mouse pad, I sure hope they can extend that to apps as well, not sure if the kit in itself can actually do that, or if it is a software issue.
On top of these, people need to understand that a quad core on a kit like this is not to be compared with a quadcore running on a laptop machine (or desktop), to put it that way. I have the Samsung Note II Smart Phone with quad core CPU, however it is noticeably slower than my quad core laptop. We're talking a different class CPU all together, still quad core but with limitations caused mostly by the size (and in Smart Phone case, the power as well).
bikerider99 is offline  
post #297 of 1816 Old 03-25-2013, 04:04 PM
Member
 
CraigerCSM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerider99 View Post

Interesting. IMO this kit should be a high priority for Samsung TV division, based on its success (or failure) the TV sales can skyrocket or sink. Personally I believe the marketing campaign has been a little overhyped in terms of making people believe that the kit will pretty much make the whole 2012 TV work just like the new 2013 one. While it sounds great I really doubt that will happen, especially when it comes to PQ and other features non Smart Hub related.
As for speed, in my case the present internet speed is pretty good, I can stream HD video online with no issues or hiccups. One thing I have had issues with is streaming videos from my laptop or the Samsing Note II via All-share. It is choppy and I hope the added processing power will fix this. Also the use of the external keyboard/mouse pad, I sure hope they can extend that to apps as well, not sure if the kit in itself can actually do that, or if it is a software issue.
On top of these, people need to understand that a quad core on a kit like this is not to be compared with a quadcore running on a laptop machine (or desktop), to put it that way. I have the Samsung Note II Smart Phone with quad core CPU, however it is noticeably slower than my quad core laptop. We're talking a different class CPU all together, still quad core but with limitations caused mostly by the size (and in Smart Phone case, the power as well).

Well if the quad core isn't going to be that much faster than the dual core why bother with the evolution kit unless Samsung optimizes it for the quad core? How much faster do you think the quad core will be over the dual core? Would web pages load and scroll in seconds?
CraigerCSM is offline  
post #298 of 1816 Old 03-25-2013, 04:51 PM
Senior Member
 
pitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 24
The more I read about the Smart Evolution Kit, the more convinced I am that I will not buy one. I could care less about a faster Smart Hub experience. I've never used the Smart Hub on my ES8000. I've never used the voice control. And, I've never used the gesture control. Why would I want to pay $300 for upgraded performance on features I don't use and probably never will? What I want is a TV with minimal clouding, no vertical banding, good screen uniformity, and no corner flashlights. In other words, everything it appears the 2013 model delivers at the same price I paid for mine in 2012, but that I didn't get. That was my expectation when I shelled out $3,500 for a 65" ES8000. After two exchanges, I ended up having to down-size to a 60" version in order to get a panel I could live with. Give me an evo kit that addresses the deficiencies mentioned above and truly "upgrades" my ES8000 to the same performance level of the F8000, and I'm all in. That was the promise Samsung loudly made to buyers of their 2012 ES series TV's, and that I purchased in good faith. I'm more than happy to pay for your evo kit, just make sure you give me what you said you were going to...

http://youtu.be/zCeDhVmX9q8

I read somewhere about a successful class action lawsuit against Samsung for deceptive marketing (or something along those lines) with regards to a "Full HD 3D" label they put on some of their TV's that apparently, were not. It looks like they didn't learn from that mistake.
pitchman is offline  
post #299 of 1816 Old 03-25-2013, 05:52 PM
Senior Member
 
howzz1854's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 394
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchman View Post

The more I read about the Smart Evolution Kit, the more convinced I am that I will not buy one. I could care less about a faster Smart Hub experience. I've never used the Smart Hub on my ES8000. I've never used the voice control. And, I've never used the gesture control. Why would I want to pay $300 for upgraded performance on features I don't use and probably never will? What I want is a TV with minimal clouding, no vertical banding, good screen uniformity, and no corner flashlights. In other words, everything it appears the 2013 model delivers at the same price I paid for mine in 2012, but that I didn't get. That was my expectation when I shelled out $3,500 for a 65" ES8000. After two exchanges, I ended up having to down-size to a 60" version in order to get a panel I could live with. Give me an evo kit that addresses the deficiencies mentioned above and truly "upgrades" my ES8000 to the same performance level of the F8000, and I'm all in. That was the promise Samsung loudly made to buyers of their 2012 ES series TV's, and that I purchased in good faith. I'm more than happy to pay for your evo kit, just make sure you give me what you said you were going to...

http://youtu.be/zCeDhVmX9q8

I read somewhere about a successful class action lawsuit against Samsung for deceptive marketing (or something along those lines) with regards to a "Full HD 3D" label they put on some of their TV's that apparently, were not. It looks like they didn't learn from that mistake.

based on that youtube video of the samsung ad, i would say their version of improved picture quality only means full HD for VOD (video on demand). in another word, due to the more powerful processing quad core, you can now stream full HD and decode it on the fly.

if that's the case for what they meant for improved picture quality, then shame on them.

if they can do micro dimming and eliminate clouding, i don't think it's too far of a stretch to implement software screen analysis for screen uniformity and do an auto picture adjustment to compensate for any banding, clouding, or flash lighting. but maybe it's a pipe dream.

TV: Samsung 60inch 60ES8000 LED TV,
Sound System: Pioneer VSX 1120-K, 2x JBL Stadium fronts, 1x JBL EC35 center, 4x JBL L820 surrounds, 1x JBL SUB12 for a complete 7.1
Headphones: Sennheiser HD598, HD650 headphone, Audio Technica ATH-AD700, AD900X
howzz1854 is offline  
post #300 of 1816 Old 03-25-2013, 06:15 PM
Member
 
CraigerCSM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know I bought my ES7500 thinking I would get a bump in PQ and the same PQ menu as the 2013 sets and if all the evolution kit did was just make the smart hub and web browser run faster but not as fast as a tablet or a PC then I will be mad and not sure I would buy it. Not even sure I would get another Smart TV until they matched a desktop PC's performance.
CraigerCSM is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung 46 Led Smart Tv , Samsung , Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46es8000 Led Hdtv , Samsung 75 Inch Led Smart 3d Hdtv Un75es9000
Gear in this thread - Un75es9000 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off