OFFICIAL Samsung Smart TV "Evolution Kit" Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 1781 Old 05-27-2013, 12:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Any of the new SEK owners, have you tried to see if external keyboard works with the apps? I know before SEK the keyboard would only work with the web browser. thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1781 Old 05-27-2013, 12:52 PM

Liked: 10
Mavinwow, how was the new touch remote with web surfing? Also were saying web browsing was as good as your HTPC? Thanks.
post #633 of 1781 Old 05-27-2013, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavinwow View Post

does amazon.com ship to canada? Ive ordered off amazon.uk shipped to the US

Great write up Mavinwow. And its always nice to see another NFL/sports fan around here. After your write up, I'm now interested in trying the web browser with the new remote. Voice recognition worked well on the browser with last year's remote but unfortunately the rest of the remote was awful so I had to shelve it. But now with a usable touchpad it will work quite well for casual browsing

post #634 of 1781 Old 05-27-2013, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:

does amazon.com ship to canada? Ive ordered off amazon.uk shipped to the US

Nope only certain items can be shipped to Canada and it's not one of them. I don't understand why we get so f'd in Canada? I understand Shipping may be a bit more but why can I not order a particular item because I'm outside of the US? That's ludicrous
post #635 of 1781 Old 05-27-2013, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigerCSM View Post

Mavinwow, how was the new touch remote with web surfing? Also were saying web browsing was as good as your HTPC? Thanks.

No, it is not as good as using a dedicated HTCP. I use the remote from my D8000:

Two sided, pretty sweet.

My ES8000 settings, calibrated with an i1D3 and calman: Standard Mode, Movie Mode (out of date, will update soon)
CalMAN 5 Novice Walkthrough
post #636 of 1781 Old 05-27-2013, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digimat View Post

Thanks for the detailed review.

Did you notice any change in HD cable quality? Some people in the F threads are reporting more sharper and a less grainy picture with this years sets...

I suspect this could be do to the new noise filters and "digital clean view" that are part of the EvoKit. I have not played with it though. Broadcast TV quality varies so much from channel to channel and program to program, as well as the compression from your provider. Most compression from CableTV introduces artifacts and noise that these filters can help clean up.

My ES8000 settings, calibrated with an i1D3 and calman: Standard Mode, Movie Mode (out of date, will update soon)
post #637 of 1781 Old 05-27-2013, 04:41 PM

Mavinwow do you think the kit does actually take advantage of the quad core and it acts like a quad core? Or is more of really acting like a dual core and the 2012 acted like it had a single core?
post #638 of 1781 Old 05-27-2013, 05:06 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerider99 View Post

Any of the new SEK owners, have you tried to see if external keyboard works with the apps? I know before SEK the keyboard would only work with the web browser. thx

I used a keyboard intended for the logitech revue and it works as well with the evolution kit as it did with the ES7500 before the evolution kit. Beacause it has a touchpad built in I need to set both the keyboar dand mouse to wireless usb.
post #639 of 1781 Old 05-27-2013, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I suspect this could be do to the new noise filters and "digital clean view" that are part of the EvoKit. I have not played with it though. Broadcast TV quality varies so much from channel to channel and program to program, as well as the compression from your provider. Most compression from CableTV introduces artifacts and noise that these filters can help clean up.

Thanks, I'm sure that must be the case.
post #640 of 1781 Old 05-27-2013, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Mavinwow do you think the kit does actually take advantage of the quad core and it acts like a quad core? Or is more of really acting like a dual core and the 2012 acted like it had a single core?

Im not really sure what that means. It is snappier because of the increased speed, but as for "feels like a quad core", I dont know how to answer that one! smile.gif

post #641 of 1781 Old 05-27-2013, 08:02 PM
JSY

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldprof View Post

jsy -- You may well have a problem with getting to the knob -- you have to loosen it to get to it, but if it is tight then you can't put the set back against the wall. Maybe a new mount?? ;-)

I'm kinda thinking the same thing.. How are most people's wall mounts that they don't have a similar problem? lol - unless it's one of those telescoping ones that can move out, which I guess could have been an option.. Hate to set up a new mount, though. Sigh!!
post #642 of 1781 Old 05-28-2013, 01:44 AM

Mavinwow , did you make any test with the media handling? Did you find any difference in compatibility or whatever else? Also do you use plex client? If you use did you find any perfermance improvement?
post #643 of 1781 Old 05-28-2013, 01:55 AM

Liked: 12
@Mavinwow I know you saw a slight change in your metered readings on your calibrated panel,but is it possible that a non calibrated panel would gain better pq with the ek?
Reason I ask as a review of a F8000 measured more accurate colors out of the box in movie mode compared to the ES8000.
Long story short is there any chance you could measure a before and after measurement of the ek running out of the box movie mode please.
I understand fully if not as I'm sure there is more to life then avs smile.gif
post #644 of 1781 Old 05-28-2013, 05:04 AM

I have uverse with the un60es8000 with the SEK. and i notice the cable quality picture seems to be nicer. i can agree with that.
I also wanna say. as of yesterday i got a update to firmware version 1004 on my tv. a update for the f8000 was released yesterday as well. It seems as they are updating together. thats NICE!!!
post #645 of 1781 Old 05-28-2013, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreydt View Post

My review:

Ok i have UN60ES8000. i got my evolution kit today overnight. paid 215. i started off saying might not get it..but once released i ordered yesterday

1. It is more than a smart hub upgrade. Honestly.... The menu, smart hub, settings All look like the unXXF8000 series. so its a total revamp of the menu setup etc. It does basically make ur tv "like" the UNXXF8000. however as stated black optimizer etc is probably not there as maybe the tv is not capable of it....that im not sure why. but your software version will be 1003 when ur finish. hence forward ur updates will probably be coming from the F series from now on.

2. Why it maybe a benefit to upgrade now?
If these things do sell well, the companies that we are getting them from for under retail. will start selling at MSRP. so just something to think about it. But for me I feel like the evolution kit completed my 8000 series experience. samsung fixed what they missed last year. as i stated from the remote to the menus its just like the F series 8000. so if you use the IR blaster with ur STB and ur blu ray player. You get much better coordination with your tv. I now can use One remote finally! your options are really right at ur fingertips with this one remote..instead of being limited as much with prev remote.

3. the last thing is the Quad Core processor.
It HELPS!. it speeds the menu and the tv performance. while picture maynot be so much improved, (which maybe debate in a few months..cause something is different..im not sure what it is..but it just seems a lil better to me, but i could be wrong).
its just like a computer guys. you upgrade the processer to add more cores and you get lot better speed and can do way more. these tvs nowadays are like gigantic computers. and we are using applications. (apps) which in term the processors are providing better experience using applications.

now to decide if you want to buy is strictly a personal decision. for me it honestly benefited me. Depending on how much u paid for your tv. adding 200$ to what u paid maybe a big deal and i understand. But for those who have been getting these tvs for 2300-2500$. this isnt bad. I ended up getting my tv for 2799$. got the free soundbar, which i sold for 200$ so. i think it was a win-win.

also anynet works much better as well. im going thru my sony receiver for my blu ray player and the tv recognizes my samsung 3d player fine and i can use one remote no prob fully functional. before because i went thru receiver the samsung blu ray player functions were limited.

but honestly..when has a processor upgrade been under 200$. it happens but not often. now could samsung have done this better. YES much better.!! but im gonna say its not a waste. just hopefully in the future they learn from this experience

Also most of my information stayed. like my apps. now im not sure about my custom settings to picture quality. ill have to check that

Mavinwow...seems like both of our reviews...seem to compliment the device!
post #646 of 1781 Old 05-28-2013, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreydt View Post

I have uverse with the un60es8000 with the SEK. and i notice the cable quality picture seems to be nicer. i can agree with that.
I also wanna say. as of yesterday i got a update to firmware version 1004 on my tv. a update for the f8000 was released yesterday as well. It seems as they are updating together. thats NICE!!!

The firmware update for the F8000 is supposed to:

1.This firmware is for TV Model(s): LED F7450/F7500/F7550/F8000
2.The version is 1104.3
3.This firmware update will improve the following:

- Solves Network Connection issue with Wireless router.

- Solves Brightness Popping issue.

- Improves picture quality.

- Supports more MSO in OnTV feature.

- Enhances Voice Recognition feature.
post #647 of 1781 Old 05-28-2013, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelonSplitter View Post

Great first impression. Thanks
....Go Airborne!

Quote:

My Early Thoughts on the Evolution Kit:

I have had a few days to play around with the EK and several of you have asked for some feedback on the device. First, here are a few pics of the install process.

Once you remove the Evo Kit sticker on the back of your TV, you will be able to slide the EK into two grooves on the left side, and then fold down the unit until it clicks solidly in place. This step is a bit tricky, as I have seen others post that they can't get the kit recognized. The first time I installed it the TV did not see the kit and I went back and pushed it harder and then I was all set. Of note, make sure you upgrade to the latest ES8000 firmware prior to hooking up your kit.

It will then walk you through a few screens of installation:

.com/content/type/61/id/214407/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

No other TV manufacturer is giving consumers the option to upgrade the hardware guts of your TV. I think that this is an idea worth supporting, but the value for most consumers will not be in this first years model. Our TVs are not that old and outdated yet, so the incremental benefit is likely not worth it to most consumers. However, upgrading from a 2012 set to a 2015 set in the future will likely be quite noticeable. If no one buys the first/second generation, who knows if they will continue. Having had a D8000, I saw that firmware upgrades die the moment the new set comes out, and I expect the same to happen to the ES8000. I am buying into the future, with advanced hardware horsepower and what future firmware upgrades can do.

Are you an enthusiast who spends time tweaking settings, reading AVSforum, and spend a lot of time with your set? Do you use the smart hub/apps/web browser? Buy it, it is not that expensive for what you get. Otherwise, I would skip this generation and wait for next years. More to follow as I spend more time with the kit.

Awesome job on that review Mavinwow. Your work is superior and I'm very open minded to the data going forward. Since I do not use my es8000 for any SmartHub duties, I have to really see the consensus after multiple videophiles have posted their opinions on picture quality improvement. That said, your reasoning makes sense and for the 200 range, I am not so sure there is any reason not to pick one up someday.

Thank you...

Love for all things Hi-def...Losing count; 200 plus bluray, 500 plus dvd, 30 plus HDdvd and a rapidly growing 50 plus in the cloud.

post #648 of 1781 Old 05-28-2013, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

I found this video and the Samsung guy does say PQ enhancements twice. It starts at 10:10. However person asks him what PQ enhancements but the Samsung guy says not at this time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QkNXZctqIk

the guy in this video has no clue what he is talking about...we already talked bout him on another of his video a LONG TIME ago on this THREAD...scroll back...bunch of BS.... no firmaware or evo kit will make the panel's PQ better...it is what is its from the factory...
post #649 of 1781 Old 05-28-2013, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratesCove View Post

I have the F7100 and had the ES7100.

The Smart Hub 2.0 (2013) is way faster, fluid and responsive than the Smart Hub (2012).

The F7100 has the Smart Touch remote and all the features of the Smart Evolution Kit and Cinema Black.

yet the F7100 also has a dual core processor...so this BS that the new 2013 smart hub needs a quad core is total horse manuah...yes.yes.. I know about RAM/Memory..... yet trust me...last years dual core was enough for this years smart hub...it has all to do with the programming of the software... dont blame the hardware....I'm a software engineer by trade...I get a lot of this crap all the time in my field. I work for lockheed martin aeronautical programming division...I have heard it all..... wink.gif
post #650 of 1781 Old 05-28-2013, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member

The new smart hub did not exist when you bought your TV. Samsung invested development cost into the new software. Regardless of whether or not it would run on the old processor, why do you feel entitled to get the new update for free? Every major software package charges users for major version updates.

Also, "dual-core" really means nothing in terms of clock speed and chip performance. Who's to say the underlying chip is the same, regardless of the number of cores.

post #651 of 1781 Old 05-28-2013, 10:37 AM

Liked: 11
I'd really like to buy this thing, but US Amazon won't ship to Canada and the Canadian Amazon doesn't have it.

Has anyone found places in Canada actually selling this thing? (Not looking for prices, just availability.) I would have expected Future Shop and Best Buy to be all over this, but it isn't even listed on their web-sites.

Also, does anyone know if the version sold in the US would work on a Canadian TV? I have family in the US, so I suppose I could have the thing shipped to them and then have them ship it to me... but thats just stupid.
post #652 of 1781 Old 05-28-2013, 10:43 AM

Would it be a good idea to start putting upgradable PC motherboards in HDTV's? Their could be a door on the back that you would open to change out the processor and ram and even have the motherboard have an SSD drive in it that you could replace and that could give the HDTV HD DVR capabilities. Also replace the motherboard itself. However adding the SSD drive might make the HDTV not as thin as they are now. Unless that is how Samsung sees the Evolution Kit as an easier way to do that?

I also think they should let you have a separate internet connection for the web browser without needing to use Samsung's server. I think that might have been the reason the 2012 web browser was so slow. Not sure if that is what they did with the 2013 web browser and let that have a separate internet connection? If Samsung's server goes down you can't browse the web right?
post #653 of 1781 Old 05-28-2013, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:

what are you asking are you asking even thow the 2012 had a duel core it's slow and acted like a single core.
I'll help when i get mine this friday i was not going to get it but i had a weak moment then i ordered it so i'll install and report back

My main setup
PN60E8000 Plus evolution 2013Kit + Directv genie + Panasonic 3D blu-ray player + Onkyo TX-NR 818 9.2 Bic F12 subs Onkyo M-5010 2-Channel Amplifier for wides.
MY 10' X 15' DEN
PN51F5500 + Directv Genie + Panasonic 3D blu-ray player + Onkyo TX-NR 737 5.2.2
post #654 of 1781 Old 05-28-2013, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndeaverouX View Post

yet the F7100 also has a dual core processor...so this BS that the new 2013 smart hub needs a quad core is total horse manuah...yes.yes.. I know about RAM/Memory..... yet trust me...last years dual core was enough for this years smart hub...it has all to do with the programming of the software... dont blame the hardware....I'm a software engineer by trade...I get a lot of this crap all the time in my field. I work for lockheed martin aeronautical programming division...I have heard it all..... wink.gif
I have a PN51F5500 duel core processor it has the same smart hub as the evolution kit gives you but when i stream Netflix on it i get HD but it's just 720 on my e8000 streaming Netflix it's 1080 on some streaming movies with a duel core processor before installing the evolution kit im getting friday, so there must be reasoning going on in the evolution kit's upgrade to quad core maybe they want it as stable as possible for streaming.
i was not going to spend $299 got it for $178 that was still more then i wanted to spend but did it anyway even when i said i wouldn't do it.

My main setup
PN60E8000 Plus evolution 2013Kit + Directv genie + Panasonic 3D blu-ray player + Onkyo TX-NR 818 9.2 Bic F12 subs Onkyo M-5010 2-Channel Amplifier for wides.
MY 10' X 15' DEN
post #655 of 1781 Old 05-28-2013, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deria View Post

I'd really like to buy this thing, but US Amazon won't ship to Canada and the Canadian Amazon doesn't have it.

Has anyone found places in Canada actually selling this thing? (Not looking for prices, just availability.) I would have expected Future Shop and Best Buy to be all over this, but it isn't even listed on their web-sites.

Also, does anyone know if the version sold in the US would work on a Canadian TV? I have family in the US, so I suppose I could have the thing shipped to them and then have them ship it to me... but thats just stupid.
find a friend just over the border and have it shipped there and go get it.

My main setup
MY 10' X 15' DEN
post #656 of 1781 Old 05-28-2013, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

2013 HDTV Shootout - Samsung F8500 Plasma & F8000 LED

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QkNXZctqIk

Rep states multiple times improvement in pic quality but when asked specifically he can't comment smile.gif
post #657 of 1781 Old 05-28-2013, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The new smart hub did not exist when you bought your TV. Samsung invested development cost into the new software. Regardless of whether or not it would run on the old processor, why do you feel entitled to get the new update for free? Every major software package charges users for major version updates.

Also, "dual-core" really means nothing in terms of clock speed and chip performance. Who's to say the underlying chip is the same, regardless of the number of cores.

I see where you are coming from, all valid points my friend...BUT....

WHY DO I FEEL ENTITLED? why has sony continually updated the PS3??? I still have the original 2006 FAT PS3 20GB version...it's a monster & a Beast, still going on strong after 7 years of use....back then even 3D wasnt available, nor netflix, no amazon VOD, hulu, etc.... yet the sony ps3 firmware updates made it one of the best set top boxes to date...

now I spent over $2000 less than a year ago on a top of the line es8000 and you mean to tell me that I am NOT entitled to more updates? COME ON MAN.....

Lets be reasonable here...If samsung really wanted, they would have done it without the EVO KIT...trust me.... is all bout making MORE MORE MORE MONEY...

with all do respect, dont be so NAIVE or GULABLE....

if sony did it with a $300 game console, samsung could too with a $2000 tv....

It is only LOGICAL.... biggrin.gif
post #658 of 1781 Old 05-28-2013, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargervais View Post

I have a PN51F5500 duel core processor it has the same smart hub as the evolution kit gives you but when i stream Netflix on it i get HD but it's just 720 on my e8000 streaming Netflix it's 1080 on some streaming movies with a duel core processor before installing the evolution kit im getting friday, so there must be reasoning going on in the evolution kit's upgrade to quad core maybe they want it as stable as possible for streaming.
i was not going to spend $299 got it for $178 that was still more then i wanted to spend but did it anyway even when i said i wouldn't do it.

your main problem is not CPU power.... to get really good 1080p streaming movies you need the following:

1. ethernet connection with cat6 cable over wireless...
2. gigabit router with cat6 connections...
3. DOCSIS 3.0 Modem...
4.broadband connection , duh..lol....

the network is always the culpret 1st opposed to CPU Hardware issues....if you dont have to do wireless, don;t..wired connection will always give you the best through-put.... biggrin.gif
post #659 of 1781 Old 05-28-2013, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I'd like some comments on the new remote. I actually use/like the touchpad remote I got with my ES8000. The one thing that sux is trying to move a cursor around and web browse with it. I have only tried this twice. I can do menus, picture adjustments, operate by STB functions, and change channels just fine. For anyone who has used the old remote, how does the new one differ?

Samsung ES8000 65", Evo Kit installed, Yamaha AVR with Paradigm speakers, iMac, iPad, Apple TV and HTC One phone.
post #660 of 1781 Old 05-28-2013, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deria View Post

http://www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=81832
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung 46 Led Smart Tv , Samsung , Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46es8000 Led Hdtv , Samsung 75 Inch Led Smart 3d Hdtv Un75es9000
Gear in this thread - Un75es9000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page