Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 1804 Old 06-21-2013, 05:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamermwm View Post

Looks like a LOT of apps will no longer be available if you download the latest kit update 1005.2. Update at your own peril

Now most of us know that we haven't had Angry Birds since first installing the kit, but now there is a new "Deleted App List" dated June 20th under Manuals on the samsung.com support page for the EK
Hopefully someone who has downloaded the 1005.2 update already can confirm if the following apps are no longer available:

Youtube
Camera
Ustream
WWE

And that's just to name a few...
Here's the link:

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201306/20130620140109609/Deleted_Application_List_after_installing_Evolution_Kit-Eng-0430.pdf

I updated to 1005. I couldnt find Angry Birds but I dont really care as I never tried it before. I was able to get Redbox and Youtube, I didnt look for the others

Yamaha RX-A3000, Oppo 95, Emotiva IPS-1, Emotiva RPA-1, Energy Veritas 1.8s, RC70s, LCR, RCRs, RC10s, Energy S12.3, Velodyne SPL-1200R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 1804 Old 06-21-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digimat View Post

Installed the EK yesterday without a hitch, except putting the batteries in the remote, WTF samsung... I thought I was gonna shatter the thing into a million pieces.

My first impressions.

First off I noticed motion is handled much better , previously the normal setting for automotion exhibited motion trailing and blurring now I don't notice any.
Picture I would say is about the same, I do not notice a bit better black levels, also movie seems to look better... not quite as washed out as before. Also Cable TV looks better IMO... this has been noted by others as well which is probably due to new algorithm for mpeg and noise reduction.

Update Guide and recommendation seems to work well, although I can't figure out how bring up the guide with the current channel I'm on it seems to default to 2... new remote is great and having your set top box run through the same system is worth the price of upgrade alone.

WIll report back with more once I use it some more but all in all I'm pretty impressed.

Ya my install was so easy and painless too. Its kinda funny because I said thatr the hardest part of the install was putting the batteries in the remote
Are you going to try the US smart hub thing? US Netflix is waaaaaay better, Amazon Prime is cool too

Yamaha RX-A3000, Oppo 95, Emotiva IPS-1, Emotiva RPA-1, Energy Veritas 1.8s, RC70s, LCR, RCRs, RC10s, Energy S12.3, Velodyne SPL-1200R
post #903 of 1804 Old 06-21-2013, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 214
I have US netflix on my Apple TV but can't figure out how to do it for the Smart Hub... when it asked me for my postal code I tried a US one and it wouldn't let me past that step.

Can you enable it once you've gone through the installation?
post #904 of 1804 Old 06-21-2013, 11:43 PM

Quote:

I have US netflix on my Apple TV but can't figure out how to do it for the Smart Hub... when it asked me for my postal code I tried a US one and it wouldn't let me past that step.

Can you enable it once you've gone through the installation?

http://support.unblock-us.com/customer/portal/articles/963325

Im not sure about after the evo as I changed my smart hub before the evo.
An easy way to tell if you have the US Netflix is if you go to the childrens section and you get all the disney kids show and Phineas and Ferbe. We dont get the disney stuff in Canada. In Canada we have access to something like 4000 Netflix titles, in the US you have access to over 20000 titles. You have to have a current netflix subscription.
I dont know what the differnece is now for the number of apps that are available with the US and Canadian smart hubs. When I first did it I more than doubled the amount of apps when I switched to the US smart hub

post #905 of 1804 Old 06-22-2013, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Awesome the region change was something I didn't know how to do. Thank you for that. The only problem is now I've lost the STB functionality because Shaw wasn't an option for the region. Any way to get the best of both worlds?
post #906 of 1804 Old 06-22-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:

Awesome the region change was something I didn't know how to do. Thank you for that. The only problem is now I've lost the STB functionality because Shaw wasn't an option for the region. Any way to get the best of both worlds?

Ya I dont have that either. My stb goes through my yamaha. When I did the tv set up, I used a zip code from just across the line just so my smart hub would have the guide thing. I dont really use the smart hub guide though anyways.
I just have a more basic sat package, so I was more interested in the US Netflix and Amazon Prime. You have to have subscriptions but Netflix is only $8 per month and Amazon prime is only $79 per year. Just my way of keeping my sat bill down which was getting kinda stupid...like $130 per month.. You dont have to use the unblockus thing for a dns number. I was originally using a dns number I got from a youtube video for how to get US Netflix on your ps3. The dns number worked for a time then I just did the unblockus.
I upgraded my internet connection to 25 mb/s from 6 mb/s and was then able to get a full 1080p from streamed stuff. My provider doesnt have an open connection with Netflix for 3D but with the unblockus I get that. Did you try the unblockus thing out?

PS NCIX must have got a good batch of evos as we both had no problems with the install. I cant believe what people in Canada payed for the evos. Bestbuy.ca had them for $349 and they sold out and there was that used one on ebay from Canada that went for close to $300

post #907 of 1804 Old 06-23-2013, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

I got the unblockus to work but now my plex and netflex won't connect... I think I need to switch my DNS back to auto. I tried signing up for Amazon Prime but it asked for a US credit card... 80 bucks a year is not bad... the one main gripe I have is the apps are still pretty crappy... plex for i OS is way better than on the TV... Netflix too... Android is a crap platform in my opinion.
post #908 of 1804 Old 06-23-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:

I got the unblockus to work but now my plex and netflex won't connect... I think I need to switch my DNS back to auto. I tried signing up for Amazon Prime but it asked for a US credit card... 80 bucks a year is not bad... the one main gripe I have is the apps are still pretty crappy... plex for i OS is way better than on the TV... Netflix too... Android is a crap platform in my opinion.

You probably have to change your router DNS numbers. I think what you have to do for the Amazon Prime is to open up an account with Amazon first and register a credit card with your account. Then open up a Amazon Prime account. A good way to stream movies from your pc to tv is to use PS3 media player

post #909 of 1804 Old 06-23-2013, 05:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcman View Post

You probably have to change your router DNS numbers. I think what you have to do for the Amazon Prime is to open up an account with Amazon first and register a credit card with your account. Then open up a Amazon Prime account. A good way to stream movies from your pc to tv is to use PS3 media player

Yeah the only problem with changing the DNS on the router side is slower speeds through proxy for all devices. Probably best to do it on a device only basis. I've used my xbox in the past but Plex is by far the best solution I've found. Plus you can airplay to ATV with iphone or ipad.

I have all that setup for Amazon, credit card and all, and still won't let me access the app.
post #910 of 1804 Old 06-23-2013, 07:27 PM

Quote:

Yeah the only problem with changing the DNS on the router side is slower speeds through proxy for all devices. Probably best to do it on a device only basis. I've used my xbox in the past but Plex is by far the best solution I've found. Plus you can airplay to ATV with iphone or ipad.

I have all that setup for Amazon, credit card and all, and still won't let me access the app.

Cant you get Amazon Prime throught the site online Amazon.com then once your prime is setup you have to register the device or TV. You also have to have your unblockus DNS numbers setup on your TV

I have my router setup with unblockus and the speeds arent slower

post #911 of 1804 Old 06-23-2013, 08:14 PM
Advanced Member

The DNS switch for Netflix is done... they released a patch to ban common DNS services... mine won't play a single movie.
post #912 of 1804 Old 06-24-2013, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I got my Evo installed yesterday, but really haven't looked at the Smarthub yet. Saturday I updated the firmware from 1047 to 1051, or so I thought. I snapped in the Evo kit and it didn't do anything although it seemed to click into the slot. Then I checked the firmware and it was still 1047. I found out that even though it says "updating firmware, TV will automatically turn off with finished" it doesn't INSTALL the firmware unless you click "install now" afterward. I just walked away and when it shut the TV off I thought it was updated. Not. Once I did that the Evo Kit went in fine. You cannot stop it from updating itself once it installs. There's no "Cancel" option.

Samsung ES8000 65", Evo Kit installed, Yamaha AVR with Paradigm speakers, iMac, iPad, Apple TV and HTC One phone.
post #913 of 1804 Old 06-24-2013, 12:10 PM

Liked: 10
I need help !

Anyone can definitely confirm that the EVO kit is regional ?

I got a US one - SEK-1000ZA and tried installing it on my Israeli UA46ES7500...

The TV recognises the kit, but after the first progress bar, it searches for updates and comes back with a message stating -

"Software upgrade is unavailable"

Is this an actual incompatibility or simply that the necessary updates are still not available in my region (the EVO kit was just announced in Israel a few days ago)

Any Help will be greatly appreciated !!!

Thanks !

smile.gif
post #914 of 1804 Old 06-24-2013, 12:42 PM

Well just see if your TV works OK. The software updates are regional so they won't go on your Evo kit. And maybe some streaming apps won't work bcause they are regional as well.

Samsung ES8000 65", Evo Kit installed, Yamaha AVR with Paradigm speakers, iMac, iPad, Apple TV and HTC One phone.
post #915 of 1804 Old 06-25-2013, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyalg View Post

I need help !

Anyone can definitely confirm that the EVO kit is regional ?

I got a US one - SEK-1000ZA and tried installing it on my Israeli UA46ES7500...

The TV recognises the kit, but after the first progress bar, it searches for updates and comes back with a message stating -

"Software upgrade is unavailable"

Is this an actual incompatibility or simply that the necessary updates are still not available in my region (the EVO kit was just announced in Israel a few days ago)

Any Help will be greatly appreciated !!!

Thanks !

smile.gif

How recent is the latest firmware update for you tv on your local samsung.com? there are firmware updates from May 2013 in the US and UK that were designed to prepare the 2012 tvs for the evolution kit and that needed to be installed before attaching the evolution kit.
post #916 of 1804 Old 06-25-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppagene View Post

How recent is the latest firmware update for you tv on your local samsung.com? there are firmware updates from May 2013 in the US and UK that were designed to prepare the 2012 tvs for the evolution kit and that needed to be installed before attaching the evolution kit.

You know what... I think you're on to something !!! my version is 1021, and I see on the US site the latest is 1051 from may... but when I try to do an update online, it states there are no updates available... so I still have some hope, that the necessary updates are still not online on the local site...

anyone has an idea if i can take the update file from the US site and apply it via USB on my Australian set ? can I damage the TV ?

Thanks !!!
post #917 of 1804 Old 06-25-2013, 01:13 PM

OK I played with my Evo last night, only the cable TV STB part of the Smarthub. As the recent CNET reviewer said, it's very cool. Way cooler than the native cable TV interface. There's 6 thumbnails of shows on now and 6 of upcoming shows. Supposedly it will remember what shows you watch and use those. It looks great. I haven't gone to the App page yet. And the remote seems excellent, not as hard to swipe the pad as the other one (which I actually got used to). So far so good. M;y picture looks the same for HDTV shows.

post #918 of 1804 Old 06-26-2013, 12:48 PM

Hi,
Can anybody please confirm something for me if possible.

This is aimed at the e8000 plasma only.

As this plasma doesn't have " Auto Motion " does it have it with the evo kit ?
Only thing that's bugged me since having this plasma is the blurring, I like Frame Interpolation and miss it so if the evo kit does indeed add this option to the menu i'll buy it.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Bugged Interleaved/checkerboard lg forum thread, please add your names.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #919 of 1804 Old 06-28-2013, 09:31 AM

I have no idea about the plasma. I continue to like my Evo kit a lot. Just the screens on the Smarthub and the new remote make it worth $188 to me. It's like a new TV more or less, and I imported excellent settings from the ES8000 thread. For some reason even the Natural mode looks great with some shows now.
Butmuncher likes this.

post #920 of 1804 Old 06-28-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:

The DNS switch for Netflix is done... they released a patch to ban common DNS services... mine won't play a single movie.

I think something isnt set quite right, mine works fine. email unblockus for help

post #921 of 1804 Old 06-28-2013, 10:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcman View Post

I think something isnt set quite right, mine works fine. email unblockus for help

Where abouts are you located? I'm on Shaw in Alberta, I googled the error and found it on their forum... apparently there is no work around.
post #922 of 1804 Old 06-29-2013, 04:34 AM

Quote:

Where abouts are you located? I'm on Shaw in Alberta, I googled the error and found it on their forum... apparently there is no work around.

Telus....if what your saying is true, that sucks. I couldnt find much on your problem. The only thing I found was on the shaw site where someone had trouble with DNS on their router and had to reset it. One other thing I found was onthe unblockus site where someone had a modem router and wasnt able to change the DNS

post #923 of 1804 Old 06-30-2013, 01:32 PM

Regarding the 2013 Evolution Kit, save your money.

The new 2014 kit will be out in only 6-8 months and it promises to have even better features and improved picture quality.

So why buy a 2013 kit when the year is already halfway over?
post #924 of 1804 Old 06-30-2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by igleaner View Post

The new 2014 kit will be out in only 6-8 months and it promises to have even better features and improved picture quality.

Just a guess but the new kit probably wont come out until may of next year . Maybe I will buy next years as well

post #925 of 1804 Old 07-01-2013, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

At this point since I have other things I need more like new shocks for my MTB & new pc around Xmass time I think i'll wait & see what 2014 has to offer for a EK.
pretty sure most of the current owners are gonna get the 2014 EK's

SEK-2000/ZA....Any GOOD ?
post #926 of 1804 Old 07-01-2013, 07:55 PM

Well, if the majority of 2013 EK owners do decide to upgrade to the 2014 kits, then I suspect there will be an awful lot of bargain priced 2013 kits up for sale for the rest of us who decide to wait this out.

It seems kind of silly to have to pay for a new kit every year for the next five years. I can't see Samsung improving the processors all that much after this initial release. And any software upgrades should become available as a free download.
post #927 of 1804 Old 07-01-2013, 08:22 PM

Liked: 36
Quote:

It seems kind of silly to have to pay for a new kit every year for the next five years. I can't see Samsung improving the processors all that much after this initial release. And any software upgrades should become available as a free download.
From what I have read, each model year will have three guaranteed kit upgrades. They count the first year from when you buy the new set as a whole year. So, they say you have the current technology for four years. Only time will tell if this is a minimum guarantee or a hard one.

Please correct me, if I read this wrong and you have a reliable source.
post #928 of 1804 Old 07-02-2013, 01:02 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWalker View Post

From what I have read, each model year will have three guaranteed kit upgrades. They count the first year from when you buy the new set as a whole year. So, they say you have the current technology for four years. Only time will tell if this is a minimum guarantee or a hard one.

Please correct me, if I read this wrong and you have a reliable source.

please provide info/links to where you got this information.
when Originally announced the evil kit was said to be made available every year for 5 yrs, that's what I read last year so I expect another 4 more yrs of kits.
I think things that were NOT enabled this yr that are in the F series will "magically" appear next yr.
puff goes the magic dragon.

SEK-2000/ZA....Any GOOD ?
post #929 of 1804 Old 07-02-2013, 06:19 AM

Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by OugaBooga View Post

please provide info/links to where you got this information.
when Originally announced the evil kit was said to be made available every year for 5 yrs, that's what I read last year so I expect another 4 more yrs of kits.
I think things that were NOT enabled this yr that are in the F series will "magically" appear next yr.
puff goes the magic dragon.
Called 1-800-Samsung to confirm my understanding of the Evo Kit cycle. The rep that I spoke to said that my understanding of the cycle was correct but new kits would only be released each year for TV models "if required by technology improvements". So there could be less than 3 kits for a TV model and different kits could be released for different models.

You can call 1-800-Samsung to confirm this for yourself. The rep could not provide me a link.

P.S. There is an interesting YouTube video "2013 HDTV Shootout - Samsung F8500 Plasma & F8000 LED" at /watch?v=7QkNXZctqIk . The discussion of Evo Kits starts at about 09:53.
post #930 of 1804 Old 07-03-2013, 06:51 AM

For the price of these super expensive high end TVs, Samsung should at least offer the first year kit for free to all their customers!

After all, some of these sets were sold only a few months ago, so to have to fork out an additional $300 so soon seems a little like cost gouging.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung 46 Led Smart Tv , Samsung , Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46es8000 Led Hdtv , Samsung 75 Inch Led Smart 3d Hdtv Un75es9000
Gear in this thread - Un75es9000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page