Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 1781 Old 07-15-2013, 10:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by badabing View Post

Yes, if you want to be able to control and display Comcast cable box preview channels. I'm sure it's the same for a Verizon FIOS box as well. There both Motorola boxes.

FYI... I turned off the ir blaster and immediately lost cable box control.
My Cable One channels show up when I go to "guide" at the bottom of the new SmartHub "TV" screen. It always starts with the very first channel (which are the low defs) but I can use the channel control on the right to page through to the HiDef channels pretty fast. The page lists way more channels than the CableOne guide that shows up using their remote. It's a different way of looking at the same stuff. I sort of wish I could just input 3 numbers and start the list with that channel like I can with the CableOne remote but there's no numbers on the Evo remote.

Samsung ES8000 65", Evo Kit installed, Yamaha AVR with Paradigm speakers, iMac, iPad, Apple TV and HTC One phone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1781 Old 07-15-2013, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Did anyone else get an update to 1006?
I noticed it changed my Standard settings a bit, but not all of them. It left my custom setting for color space and white balance the same. It did put my sharpness on 50. I think that is the only changes I have noticed. I really haven't checked movie mode yet.
The voice control kept coming up, so I turned the tv off, unplugged it and now that has stopped...rolleyes.gif
post #993 of 1781 Old 07-15-2013, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickjcat View Post

Did anyone else get an update to 1006?
I noticed it changed my Standard settings a bit, but not all of them. It left my custom setting for color space and white balance the same. It did put my sharpness on 50. I think that is the only changes I have noticed. I really haven't checked movie mode yet.
The voice control kept coming up, so I turned the tv off, unplugged it and now that has stopped...rolleyes.gif

Just checked, no 1006 Yet for me.. Any release notes on it? Tnx.
post #994 of 1781 Old 07-15-2013, 03:43 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebignewt View Post

My Cable One channels show up when I go to "guide" at the bottom of the new SmartHub "TV" screen. It always starts with the very first channel (which are the low defs) but I can use the channel control on the right to page through to the HiDef channels pretty fast. The page lists way more channels than the CableOne guide that shows up using their remote. It's a different way of looking at the same stuff. I sort of wish I could just input 3 numbers and start the list with that channel like I can with the CableOne remote but there's no numbers on the Evo remote.

There is no numbers in the evo remote but I have read you can access the numbers menu with the more button and/or by pressing into the right or left edge of the touchpad and you can input numbers that way.
post #995 of 1781 Old 07-15-2013, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

The picture is defiantly better with the SEK installed. smile.gif

post #996 of 1781 Old 07-15-2013, 04:09 PM

Quote:

Just checked, no 1006 Yet for me.. Any release notes on it? Tnx.

No release notes yet on the Samsung site......I am thinking the pq is looking better. Then again. I am ever hopeful.....:-)
post #997 of 1781 Old 07-15-2013, 06:27 PM

Liked: 11

Samsung UN46ES8000F TV, Samsung WMN350M mini wall mount, Samsung VG-KBD1500 bluetooth keyboard, Samsung HT-E6730W home theater
post #998 of 1781 Old 07-15-2013, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highland Logan View Post

Here is the trouble shooting guide. Samsung does put together great online support, at least I have found anyway.

Frank

If someone can please help me understand, our ES models came with a wireless rounded IR blaster that helps control the STB the BD and the TV (along with the old smart remote) for 2013 F models this wireless IR blaster was replaced with a smaller wired universal remote thing that I believe can only control a STB.

Another member already told me in another post I can use the new smart remote (that comes with the EK) with the old IR blaster so I can still control the STB and the BD because the evolution kit does not come with the wired universal remote thing.

SO WHY the trouble shooting guide of the Evolution kit has instructions in how to install the new wired universal remote blaster if IT IS NOT provided with the kit?

Go to the link provided by Frank above and then /smart touch remote/connecting IR blaster

What am I missing?
post #999 of 1781 Old 07-16-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feralc View Post

If someone can please help me understand, our ES models came with a wireless rounded IR blaster that helps control the STB the BD and the TV (along with the old smart remote) for 2013 F models this wireless IR blaster was replaced with a smaller wired universal remote thing that I believe can only control a STB.

Another member already told me in another post I can use the new smart remote (that comes with the EK) with the old IR blaster so I can still control the STB and the BD because the evolution kit does not come with the wired universal remote thing.

SO WHY the trouble shooting guide of the Evolution kit has instructions in how to install the new wired universal remote blaster if IT IS NOT provided with the kit?

Go to the link provided by Frank above and then /smart touch remote/connecting IR blaster

What am I missing?
That makes no sense. I didn't get another "blaster" controller thing, my instructions witht the Evo Kit said to use the one that came with the ES800 which I did. It works fine.
I'd be surprised if Samsung explains what updates are in the latest firmware update. Does anyone know if from now on people with the Evo Kit installed get all of their FW updates through that or can you still get them for the TV set too? I'm thinking that since the Evo replaces all of the chips in the TV that all future updates are to it.

Samsung ES8000 65", Evo Kit installed, Yamaha AVR with Paradigm speakers, iMac, iPad, Apple TV and HTC One phone.
post #1000 of 1781 Old 07-16-2013, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:

That makes no sense. I didn't get another "blaster" controller thing, my instructions witht the Evo Kit said to use the one that came with the ES800 which I did. It works fine.
I'd be surprised if Samsung explains what updates are in the latest firmware update. Does anyone know if from now on people with the Evo Kit installed get all of their FW updates through that or can you still get them for the TV set too? I'm thinking that since the Evo replaces all of the chips in the TV that all future updates are to it.

I believe you would receive the 2013 model updates with the kit installed..
post #1001 of 1781 Old 07-16-2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digimat View Post

I believe you would receive the 2013 model updates with the kit installed..
But not the wired blaster thing that he was confused about. I got the kit box and the remote, that's it. I don't need another blaster thingy because mine works just fine and does the same thing that the F8000 wired on does.

post #1002 of 1781 Old 07-16-2013, 01:50 PM

Quote:

But not the wired blaster thing that he was confused about. I got the kit box and the remote, that's it. I don't need another blaster thingy because mine works just fine and does the same thing that the F8000 wired on does.

Ditto smile.gif
post #1003 of 1781 Old 07-16-2013, 08:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I sort of wish I could just input 3 numbers and start the list with that channel like I can with the CableOne remote but there's no numbers on the Evo remote.

Not sure about starting the channel list with three numbers.. However, you should be able to just pick up the original ES8000 remote and punch in the cable channel you want on the keypad and it will change the cable box's channel and go directly to that channel. It works like this for for my Comcast box. Not sure about your provider? It should though... Unless your just using the SEK remote.. I'm not, I prefer my original ES8000 one.. The SEK remote is best for Internet surfing. I hardly use it.
post #1004 of 1781 Old 07-17-2013, 01:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 63
So I just thought I bricked my Kit...

I had previously tried to update my kit to the newest software via internet and it didn't work, so tonight I downloaded on a USB and plugged it into the tv
It said installation successful your tv will turn off and back on again ladadada. Except that didn't happen - It kept turning Off and then back On repeatedly and would not stop!

I tried uninstalling the kit and reseating it, to no avail. Anytime it detected the kit it would immediately start turning off and on again. So then in a huff I go to Samsung.com to register the kit and file a claim - to no avail - I guess there was some issue with their specific registration page for the kit

So then I get an idea to try one more thing - I noticed without the kit I was still on 1047. So I unplugged my ethernet cable from the kit and into just the tv, and then I updated the tv w/o kit to the latest software for it (1051 I think). After that I re-installed the kit and plugged the ethernet cable back into it, turned on my set and it worked fine with the kit again!

Only this time, it booted up as if it was the first time it was ever installed. So I went through the process until it asked to check for updates during the installation. I made sure that I had unplugged the USB from earlier, and went ahead and let it do its thing and download the newest firmware - which it installed correctly this time via the internet and then it turned off and then back on

My settings got deleted but I am now running the Kit's latest firmware. Long story short, it may be that your set w/o the kit has to be on 1051 before you can update with the kit to the latest firmware for it 1005.2. If anyone can confirm or deny it would be helpful

-Mike

post #1005 of 1781 Old 07-17-2013, 03:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamermwm View Post

So I just thought I bricked my Kit...

I had previously tried to update my kit to the newest software via internet and it didn't work, so tonight I downloaded on a USB and plugged it into the tv
It said installation successful your tv will turn off and back on again ladadada. Except that didn't happen - It kept turning Off and then back On repeatedly and would not stop!

I tried uninstalling the kit and reseating it, to no avail. Anytime it detected the kit it would immediately start turning off and on again. So then in a huff I go to Samsung.com to register the kit and file a claim - to no avail - I guess there was some issue with their specific registration page for the kit

So then I get an idea to try one more thing - I noticed without the kit I was still on 1047. So I unplugged my ethernet cable from the kit and into just the tv, and then I updated the tv w/o kit to the latest software for it (1051 I think). After that I re-installed the kit and plugged the ethernet cable back into it, turned on my set and it worked fine with the kit again!

Only this time, it booted up as if it was the first time it was ever installed. So I went through the process until it asked to check for updates during the installation. I made sure that I had unplugged the USB from earlier, and went ahead and let it do its thing and download the newest firmware - which it installed correctly this time via the internet and then it turned off and then back on

My settings got deleted but I am now running the Kit's latest firmware. Long story short, it may be that your set w/o the kit has to be on 1051 before you can update with the kit to the latest firmware for it 1005.2. If anyone can confirm or deny it would be helpful

-Mike

This has been mentioned before.. And good to see brought up again as a reminder for new SEK owners.. Yes, Your TV must be updated to the latest 1051 firmware before installing the SEK. It would be nice to add this information to page-1. smile.gif
post #1006 of 1781 Old 07-17-2013, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

This has been mentioned before.. And good to see brought up again as a reminder for new SEK owners.. Yes, Your TV must be updated to the latest 1051 firmware before installing the SEK. It would be nice to add this information to page-1. smile.gif

Funny thing is I had the kit installed before this issue last night and had been using it since release date...so I must have had 1051 before. Not sure how I would have ended up going back to 1047 when I uninstalled it...

post #1007 of 1781 Old 07-17-2013, 09:29 AM

Quote:

-Mike
You have to have 1051 to get the SEK recognized. I don't know how you were even able to install the Evo originally with 1047 as the firmware. When I got my Evo I thought I had downloaded and installed 1051 but I had only downloaded it, not installed it. I kept plugging the Evo in and it wouldn't recognize it. Then I checked my firmware and it was 1047, so I upgraded and the kit was recognized right away.

post #1008 of 1781 Old 07-17-2013, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You have to have 1051 to get the SEK recognized. I don't know how you were even able to install the Evo originally with 1047 as the firmware. When I got my Evo I thought I had downloaded and installed 1051 but I had only downloaded it, not installed it. I kept plugging the Evo in and it wouldn't recognize it. Then I checked my firmware and it was 1047, so I upgraded and the kit was recognized right away.

Yeah well I'm sure now looking back that I did have 1051 installed when I first began to use the kit...I remember making sure to update to it. Its been awhile since I messed with the firmware for the tv itself so forgive me for any initial confusion regarding firmware numbers. But when I uninstalled the kit after my issues it must have reverted to 1047 somehow bc it did indeed update back to 1051

post #1009 of 1781 Old 07-17-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:

Yeah well I'm sure now looking back that I did have 1051 installed when I first began to use the kit...I remember making sure to update to it. Its been awhile since I messed with the firmware for the tv itself so forgive me for any initial confusion regarding firmware numbers. But when I uninstalled the kit after my issues it must have reverted to 1047 somehow bc it did indeed update back to 1051

I can no longer see my 1051 TV firmware. It is now the evo kit's firmware, which updated to, 1006 the other day. Has anyone else gotten this update? No release notes yet on Samsung site.
post #1010 of 1781 Old 07-17-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:

I can no longer see my 1051 TV firmware. It is now the evo kit's firmware, which updated to, 1006 the other day. Has anyone else gotten this update? No release notes yet on Samsung site.
post #1011 of 1781 Old 07-17-2013, 02:07 PM

Quote:

I haven't looked for it but I haven't been prompted to update either. I'm sure that the 1051 FW for the TV is taken over by 1005. All the chips in the TV are taken over by the chips in the Evo kit so the FW is too. I noticed a whole bunch of copper electrode looking things in my screen recently looking from the left side. Obviously electrical panel thingys. There were a lot of them, I just never saw that before.

post #1012 of 1781 Old 07-17-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:

I haven't looked for it but I haven't been prompted to update either. I'm sure that the 1051 FW for the TV is taken over by 1005. All the chips in the TV are taken over by the chips in the Evo kit so the FW is too. I noticed a whole bunch of copper electrode looking things in my screen recently looking from the left side. Obviously electrical panel thingys. There were a lot of them, I just never saw that before.

I was surprised that my TV 's firmware updated on its own....because I have it set up to ask me before, and unless I inadvertently hit yes while I was watching TV. This TV has a mind of its own. I finally turned off the voice control because it would come up randomly.
Bugs, hopefully they will get worked out.
On the bright side I do believe the picture looks better...:-)
Haven't had a the copper things :-)
post #1013 of 1781 Old 07-17-2013, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

I'm just glad my kit wasn't bricked. It's worked great since release day when I got it, and my first real issue only occured when attempting to update via USB last night, which I may never attempt again and only update via the ethernet

I just wanted to post my story so that if someone else encounters the issue after an update where their set keeps cycling on and off and won't stay on - don't give up hope as there is a way around it

post #1014 of 1781 Old 07-18-2013, 03:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I just received the latest 1006 firmware today. I am waiting for the release notes as well. smile.gif
post #1015 of 1781 Old 07-18-2013, 06:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Same as a few other, got 1006, some picture settings were changed,would like to see release notes
post #1016 of 1781 Old 07-18-2013, 09:45 AM
JSY

Liked: 28
I just received my SEK yesterday and installed it. I had to remove the TV from the wall, so it was a two person job. Thanks to the comments here, I installed it firmly into the back to make sure that I didn't put it back on the wall only to have to take it down again to push on the SEK. I haven't played with it too much, though I notice the apps now are all laid out differently - you have a app panel, and then you can press More to see your whole app collection. I guess they got rid of the folders and I haven't found a way to rearrange my apps in the app panel.

I never used my IR blaster before, so I put it together for the first time and it works well. My STB is not that close to the TV so I am not sure how I would have handled a wired blaster.

I like the program guide that they have that I can use in lieu of the STB's program guide - but I do wish that it remembered what channel I was on. If I tuned to TBS for example, and then later brought up the guide again, it starts from channel 1 all over again.

The other thing I think I see an improvement in is that it seems to be a lot quicker in handling the files I have on a hard drive that is connected via USB.

One last comment - when I search for movies or look at the recommended movies, shows - and click on Watch - I wish it would also scour my Netflix, Hulu, etc. library to show me those options too that may not cost me any money. It seems to only show me Cinema Now and Vudu.

Overall, I am happy but I haven't done too much with it yet. I received the 1006 firmware immediately after setting it up.

I'm grateful to you all for commenting on it so vigorously so I was an educated consumer before buying it. smile.gif
post #1017 of 1781 Old 07-18-2013, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSY View Post

II like the program guide that they have that I can use in lieu of the STB's program guide - but I do wish that it remembered what channel I was on. If I tuned to TBS for example, and then later brought up the guide again, it starts from channel 1 all over again.

Yeah I wish there was an easy way to start the new Guide way further down the line than 1. Is there a Favorite Channel list? I haven't really looked. I would just rather not have to scroll through all of the low def channels that have hi def counterparts.

post #1018 of 1781 Old 07-18-2013, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by feralc View Post

Ok so the new remote works with the old IR balasteras, perfect, but why Samsung stop offering the IR blaster with the newer F models? And instead a little wired thing , I am sure it will have less interference but you can't control more than one device and it is hassle to wired an extra cable inside a wall or example (if you want a clean installation) instead of offering this, Samsung must have been upgraded the IR blaster or keep offering it.

The IR blaster that came with our 2012 tvs isn;t wired and to my taste it's a far better option than the wired version that comes with the 2013 tvs. After all the talk in this thread about the inadaquacy of the evolution kit in delivering the so calle dsuperior 2013 features, it's nice to know that some of the 2012 technology is better than the 2013 equipment.

I got the latest EK firmware upgrade yesterday and have not had time to explore what (if any) differences accompanied it.
post #1019 of 1781 Old 07-18-2013, 12:05 PM
JSY

Liked: 28
Quote:

Yeah I wish there was an easy way to start the new Guide way further down the line than 1. Is there a Favorite Channel list? I haven't really looked. I would just rather not have to scroll through all of the low def channels that have hi def counterparts.

That's exactly it.. If I'm on like channel 744... I have to start scrolling in the guide from channel 1. Do I go ascending order or descending order. hahaha the channel line up is 1-1999 on my system and 744 is close to equidistant from both.

I will explore more of it tonight - perhaps there is a favorites somewhere.

This is probably off-topic - but do people usually turn OFF the IR blaster when not using it? I figured people just left it on otherwise it would be a PITA to have to flip that switch on the bottom each time you wanted to watch something from the STB. Hopefully that doesn't drain the battery since I did not turn it off this morning before heading to the office.
post #1020 of 1781 Old 07-18-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSY View Post

That's exactly it.. If I'm on like channel 744... I have to start scrolling in the guide from channel 1. Do I go ascending order or descending order. hahaha the channel line up is 1-1999 on my system and 744 is close to equidistant from both.

I will explore more of it tonight - perhaps there is a favorites somewhere.

This is probably off-topic - but do people usually turn OFF the IR blaster when not using it? I figured people just left it on otherwise it would be a PITA to have to flip that switch on the bottom each time you wanted to watch something from the STB. Hopefully that doesn't drain the battery since I did not turn it off this morning before heading to the office.

I don't think it is draining battery when not in use, you'll be fine.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung 46 Led Smart Tv , Samsung , Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46es8000 Led Hdtv , Samsung 75 Inch Led Smart 3d Hdtv Un75es9000
Gear in this thread - Un75es9000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page