Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 1752 Old 07-28-2013, 02:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppagene View Post

Your netflix was probably 720p to begin with. As noted earlier in this thread,standard dvds show up as 1080p on the tv even though they are clearly not HD. See the earlier post in this thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1450292/official-samsung-smart-tv-evolution-kit-thread/960#post_23513533

That post referred to the netflix app coming from the BD player is what shows 1080p 24hz because that is the output of the blu ray player, and it will upscale even regular DVDs to 1080p 24hz, but I am not talking about the BD player app, but the TV.
When the netflix movie is playing if you press info in the regular remote it will tell you the resolution (usually starts in SD and then goes up to HD) before the EK I had 1080p and now it doesn't go more than 720p, I am not saying anything about the SuperHD discussed earlier in the thread that doesn't show,but I was getting 1080p, I have a 200mbps Internet connection so bandwidth is not a problem.

Update

Scratch that, because my netflix app doesn't show superHD or just HD, the movie I was testing (Thor) was stuck at 720p but I chose another movie (end of watch) and when you press info in the remote I got 1080p, so I am getting 1080p in m netflix app, for anyone who want to test this, check those movies and press the info button of the big remote.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 1752 Old 07-28-2013, 05:45 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by feralc View Post

That post referred to the netflix app coming from the BD player is what shows 1080p 24hz because that is the output of the blu ray player, and it will upscale even regular DVDs to 1080p 24hz, but I am not talking about the BD player app, but the TV.
When the netflix movie is playing if you press info in the regular remote it will tell you the resolution (usually starts in SD and then goes up to HD) before the EK I had 1080p and now it doesn't go more than 720p, I am not saying anything about the SuperHD discussed earlier in the thread that doesn't show,but I was getting 1080p, I have a 200mbps Internet connection so bandwidth is not a problem.

Update

Scratch that, because my netflix app doesn't show superHD or just HD, the movie I was testing (Thor) was stuck at 720p but I chose another movie (end of watch) and when you press info in the remote I got 1080p, so I am getting 1080p in m netflix app, for anyone who want to test this, check those movies and press the info button of the big remote.

Im not positive on this but guys have talked about having super fast connections and the SHD doesnt show up. This means that your provider doesnt have an open connect with netflix. I believe the info button just shows the native resolution, not necessarily what you are getting

Yamaha RX-A3000, Oppo 95, Emotiva IPS-1, Emotiva RPA-1, Energy Veritas 1.8s, RC70s, LCR, RCRs, RC10s, Energy S12.3, Velodyne SPL-1200R
post #1083 of 1752 Old 07-28-2013, 07:53 PM

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by darcman View Post

Im not positive on this but guys have talked about having super fast connections and the SHD doesnt show up. This means that your provider doesnt have an open connect with netflix. I believe the info button just shows the native resolution, not necessarily what you are getting
if I watch a non HD movie (and you can actually tell it is not HD) it shows 480SD, and in the other ones 720HD and 1080HD, I see your point that netflix could be limited to 720p because Netflix doesn't have a an open connection with my ISP and still showing the native resolution when I press the info button and not what I am actually receiving, OR, maybe only open connections will show the super HD logo but you are still getting the 1080p who knows?
post #1084 of 1752 Old 07-29-2013, 08:15 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
if I watch a non HD movie (and you can actually tell it is not HD) it shows 480SD, and in the other ones 720HD and 1080HD, I see your point that netflix could be limited to 720p because Netflix doesn't have a an open connection with my ISP and still showing the native resolution when I press the info button and not what I am actually receiving, OR, maybe only open connections will show the super HD logo but you are still getting the 1080p who knows?

I have uverse for my internet, my Samsung blu ray player bd-6500 has the super hd icons, and my Samsung TV un55es80000 with the evo kit does not.

Uverse finally admitted that they do not have open connect....so, it is a mystery as to why the SHD shows up on my blu ray player.

I have everything running through my receiver with no up conversion etc. I did notice if I had a title on my blu ray that did not have even a hd beside it...it will show that it is 1080p. It is a very interesting problem, and I don't have an answer...just sharing my experience with the Netflix on the TV and Blu ray play.
post #1085 of 1752 Old 07-29-2013, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickjcat View Post

I have uverse for my internet, my Samsung blu ray player bd-6500 has the super hd icons, and my Samsung TV un55es80000 with the evo kit does not.

Uverse finally admitted that they do not have open connect....so, it is a mystery as to why the SHD shows up on my blu ray player.

I have everything running through my receiver with no up conversion etc. I did notice if I had a title on my blu ray that did not have even a hd beside it...it will show that it is 1080p. It is a very interesting problem, and I don't have an answer...just sharing my experience with the Netflix on the TV and Blu ray play.

If you go to the BD settings in display/resolution do you have 1080p or Auto? If you dont have auto it might be upconverting without your knowledge, if that is the case and you can disable the upconverting (by selecting auto) could you please test a movie that shows SHD in your BD netflix what resolution shows when you press the info button in the TV remote? And then the same thing with the same movie in the TV netflix app.
If you see 1080HD then the TV app doesn't show SHD but it is actually showing the picture in 1080P (or at least that is what the original signal is coming from because my ISP is not open connect to Netflix as they just emailed me today telling me that and it still shows.

Besides netflix states this *Note: Although some Super HD eligible devices do not currently display the Super HD logo, we continue to provide Super HD video quality for these devices.
post #1086 of 1752 Old 07-30-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:

If you go to the BD settings in display/resolution do you have 1080p or Auto? If you dont have auto it might be upconverting without your knowledge, if that is the case and you can disable the upconverting (by selecting auto) could you please test a movie that shows SHD in your BD netflix what resolution shows when you press the info button in the TV remote? And then the same thing with the same movie in the TV netflix app.
If you see 1080HD then the TV app doesn't show SHD but it is actually showing the picture in 1080P (or at least that is what the original signal is coming from because my ISP is not open connect to Netflix as they just emailed me today telling me that and it still shows.

Besides netflix states this *Note: Although some Super HD eligible devices do not currently display the Super HD logo, we continue to provide Super HD video quality for these devices.

I did check my setting on the blu ray player and it is set to auto. I played a SHD movie on Netflix, and I pressed info on the TV remote, it does not allow me to see anything. I then pressed my info button on my receiver, and it displayed it was inputting 1080p and outputting 1080p.

I then went to the TV Netflix and chose the same movie, and I push the info button and it read, 1080HD, in the upper left hand corner. Double checked through the receiver and it said 1080i.

Here is the rub, I went to a non HD movie on my blu ray and checked through the receiver and it reads 1080p input and 1080p output, and the movie filled the screen. I then went to the TV and played the same movie, it was formatted in 4:3 ratio and when I pressed the info button it read 480sd. I am more apt to believe my TV at this point...:-)
Somewhere, my blu ray is doing some sort of conversion...and I can't figure where it is occuring. I tried to have all of my settings on the receiver to just pass the signals through.
post #1087 of 1752 Old 07-30-2013, 10:33 AM

Quote:

I did check my setting on the blu ray player and it is set to auto. I played a SHD movie on Netflix, and I pressed info on the TV remote, it does not allow me to see anything. I then pressed my info button on my receiver, and it displayed it was inputting 1080p and outputting 1080p.

I then went to the TV Netflix and chose the same movie, and I push the info button and it read, 1080HD, in the upper left hand corner. Double checked through the receiver and it said 1080i.

Here is the rub, I went to a non HD movie on my blu ray and checked through the receiver and it reads 1080p input and 1080p output, and the movie filled the screen. I then went to the TV and played the same movie, it was formatted in 4:3 ratio and when I pressed the info button it read 480sd. I am more apt to believe my TV at this point...:-)
Somewhere, my blu ray is doing some sort of conversion...and I can't figure where it is occuring. I tried to have all of my settings on the receiver to just pass the signals through.
Perfect, so now we know where the problem is (your BD), your comment that the TV HD movie showed 1080i instead of 1080p in your receiver while showing 1080HD in the tv might be because our ISP are not open network (hence the lack of SHD logo) and we are just getting 1080i not 1080p.
This theory will be valid if your receiver shows 480i or 480p while showing the non HD movie you were referring to.
post #1088 of 1752 Old 07-30-2013, 11:22 AM

Liked: 25
Hey how do you people like the Browser app? I tried it last night and thought it was horrible. I tried to access Google for my Gmail. Putting in the letters from the screen is a mess, I was constantly going to a different page. Then I finally got my inbox, and selected an email that I knew had a Youtube link, and the link didn't open. I am not liking this Browser. Thoughts?

Samsung ES8000 65", Evo Kit installed, Yamaha AVR with Paradigm speakers, iMac, iPad, Apple TV and HTC One phone.
post #1089 of 1752 Old 07-30-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:

Perfect, so now we know where the problem is (your BD), your comment that the TV HD movie showed 1080i instead of 1080p in your receiver while showing 1080HD in the tv might be because our ISP are not open network (hence the lack of SHD logo) and we are just getting 1080i not 1080p.
This theory will be valid if your receiver shows 480i or 480p while showing the non HD movie you were referring to.

So I played the non HD movie in the TV Netflix app, the receiver showed it was 1080i.....clearly it was not. I did make a change in my receiver from through to direct. I did this after I checked the above. I noticed on another TV movie that the input was 1080i and the out put was 1080p.
So that is why I changed the setting to direct. Then it was 1080i input and output. There so many variables between the TV, receiver and the bluray....it is hard for this casual viewer to get everything to jive. smile.gif
post #1090 of 1752 Old 07-30-2013, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebignewt View Post

Hey how do you people like the Browser app? I tried it last night and thought it was horrible. I tried to access Google for my Gmail. Putting in the letters from the screen is a mess, I was constantly going to a different page. Then I finally got my inbox, and selected an email that I knew had a Youtube link, and the link didn't open. I am not liking this Browser. Thoughts?

Ive been very impressed with the browser actually. Especially when you use the iphone app as a mouse touchpad and input device. I have had great luck with playing online videos, which is all I would ever use it for. I made a video about it somewhere in this thread.

My ES8000 settings, calibrated with an i1D3 and calman: Standard Mode, Movie Mode (out of date, will update soon)
CalMAN 5 Novice Walkthrough
post #1091 of 1752 Old 07-30-2013, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Has anyone figured out if you can at all calibrate the smarthub? It drives me nuts that it goes into default settings with everything locked out and ruins my calibration.

My ES8000 settings, calibrated with an i1D3 and calman: Standard Mode, Movie Mode (out of date, will update soon)
post #1092 of 1752 Old 07-30-2013, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavinwow View Post

Has anyone figured out if you can at all calibrate the smarthub? It drives me nuts that it goes into default settings with everything locked out and ruins my calibration.
what do you mean? my picture mode doesnt change when I hit the smarthub.
post #1093 of 1752 Old 07-30-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:

So I played the non HD movie in the TV Netflix app, the receiver showed it was 1080i.....clearly it was not. I did make a change in my receiver from through to direct. I did this after I checked the above. I noticed on another TV movie that the input was 1080i and the out put was 1080p.
So that is why I changed the setting to direct. Then it was 1080i input and output. There so many variables between the TV, receiver and the bluray....it is hard for this casual viewer to get everything to jive. smile.gif
So we will never know if the 1080 we are getting is progressive or interlaced. I thought your receiver was the key for this puzzle, and instead of that's actually making it worse.
post #1094 of 1752 Old 07-30-2013, 03:16 PM

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavinwow View Post

What do you mean "calibrate the Smarthub?". How do you get locked out?

Samsung ES8000 65", Evo Kit installed, Yamaha AVR with Paradigm speakers, iMac, iPad, Apple TV and HTC One phone.
post #1095 of 1752 Old 07-30-2013, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

What do you mean "calibrate the Smarthub?". How do you get locked out?

For example, hit smart hub and then open the web browser. All your setting options will be greyed out except for backlight.

post #1096 of 1752 Old 07-30-2013, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:

The browser is way better than before. In any event, a wireless keyboard/touchpad combo improves the browsing experience.
post #1097 of 1752 Old 07-31-2013, 08:54 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:

The browser is way better than before. In any event, a wireless keyboard/touchpad combo improves the browsing experience.

Ya I just picked up a Logitech K400 keyboard/touchpad I havent had a chance to use it. I plugged it in and it works
By all accounts its just a cheaper option than the new Samsung something2000.

Yamaha RX-A3000, Oppo 95, Emotiva IPS-1, Emotiva RPA-1, Energy Veritas 1.8s, RC70s, LCR, RCRs, RC10s, Energy S12.3, Velodyne SPL-1200R
post #1098 of 1752 Old 07-31-2013, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcman View Post

Ya I just picked up a Logitech K400 keyboard/touchpad I havent had a chance to use it. I plugged it in and it works
By all accounts its just a cheaper option than the new Samsung something2000.

I'm using the k700. The only tricky thing was that on the samsung side I had to select it for both wireless keyboard and for wireless mouse in the Samsung setings. At first I thought that the trackpad wasn't working and it drove me crazy troubleshooting until I figured out where I went wrong.
post #1099 of 1752 Old 07-31-2013, 12:26 PM

Liked: 12
Hello all, been away for a few months, just checking back in and realizing the EVO Kit is now available for my TV, the ES8000 series.
I am a bit confused on the first post of this thread, where all the links are, as to where the best price and most reliable retailer is to purchase this SEK-1000.

I watched some of those YouTube videos, and the updates seem very nice, so I'm ready to bring my set to 2013.

There is a link to Amazon on that first page that has a list of a lot of unheard of retailers (unheard of to me), so I'm just trying to figure out where/who I should purchase for and what to expect to pay now.

Thanks.
post #1100 of 1752 Old 07-31-2013, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjmccord View Post

Hello all, been away for a few months, just checking back in and realizing the EVO Kit is now available for my TV, the ES8000 series.
I am a bit confused on the first post of this thread, where all the links are, as to where the best price and most reliable retailer is to purchase this SEK-1000.

I watched some of those YouTube videos, and the updates seem very nice, so I'm ready to bring my set to 2013.

There is a link to Amazon on that first page that has a list of a lot of unheard of retailers (unheard of to me), so I'm just trying to figure out where/who I should purchase for and what to expect to pay now.

Thanks.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SEK-1000-ZA-2013-Evolution/dp/B00CILJB90/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1375303443&sr=1-1&keywords=evolution+kit
If you follow the above link to amazon, it is currently $178.74 shipped with no tax for most. Bestbuy has it for $200 plus shipping and tax, I bought mine from costcentral.com when it was first released and hard to find at a price similar to that found at amazon.
post #1101 of 1752 Old 07-31-2013, 02:03 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SEK-1000-ZA-2013-Evolution/dp/B00CILJB90/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1375303443&sr=1-1&keywords=evolution+kit
If you follow the above link to amazon, it is currently $178.74 shipped with no tax for most. Bestbuy has it for $200 plus shipping and tax, I bought mine from costcentral.com when it was first released and hard to find at a price similar to that found at amazon.

Thank you! I just placed my order, had a $5.00 off credit too, so $173.74 is not bad! Prime shipping. This was a big help, thank you.
post #1102 of 1752 Old 07-31-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjmccord View Post

Thank you! I just placed my order, had a $5.00 off credit too, so $173.74 is not bad! Prime shipping. This was a big help, thank you.
hello... question? what is this kit supposed to do?
post #1103 of 1752 Old 07-31-2013, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 227
It is an add-on module that is supposed to bring 2013 SmartHub 2.0 features to 2012 sets that have SmartHub 1.0 (?). The idea is to give previous owners the newest SmartTV features from Samsung without having to purchase a new tv.
post #1104 of 1752 Old 07-31-2013, 03:28 PM

I have a new problem now. I went to the TV Menu and selected the 'Smart Features'. I then chose 'On TV Settings' and setup for my Dish. Now I can't get the remotes information button to display the TV status screen which includes the little eco power gauge on the bottom right. When I select 'Information" I get the dish status screen. Even the original remote brings up the dish screen. I went back and setup the 'On TV settings' back to antenna and then pressing the 'Information' button brings up nothing. Anyone else seen this or is this normal with the kit installed? If I switch the TV input to antenna, 'Information' works as expected correctly. My dish and all home theater equipment are connected to the Denon Home theater receiver and use HDMI2 of the TV. Whenever I choose another activity, I also get a stupid box that says 'Check the device is connected properly'. It has the STB in the warning box. It seems the TV considers HDMI2 now locked to only the STB box. My receiver does the switching so all of my devices end up at HDMI2 of the TV.

Cheers
Willy
post #1105 of 1752 Old 07-31-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badwilly View Post

I have a new problem now. I went to the TV Menu and selected the 'Smart Features'. I then chose 'On TV Settings' and setup for my Dish. Now I can't get the remotes information button to display the TV status screen which includes the little eco power gauge on the bottom right. When I select 'Information" I get the dish status screen. Even the original remote brings up the dish screen. I went back and setup the 'On TV settings' back to antenna and then pressing the 'Information' button brings up nothing. Anyone else seen this or is this normal with the kit installed? If I switch the TV input to antenna, 'Information' works as expected correctly. My dish and all home theater equipment are connected to the Denon Home theater receiver and use HDMI2 of the TV. Whenever I choose another activity, I also get a stupid box that says 'Check the device is connected properly'. It has the STB in the warning box. It seems the TV considers HDMI2 now locked to only the STB box. My receiver does the switching so all of my devices end up at HDMI2 of the TV.

All fixed. Had to go into the source menu and remove the Dish Network from HDMI2. By deleting it everything is normal. I'm leaving the smart features on Antenna from this point on.

Cheers
Willy
post #1106 of 1752 Old 07-31-2013, 03:58 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by badwilly View Post

All fixed. Had to go into the source menu and remove the Dish Network from HDMI2. By deleting it everything is normal. I'm leaving the smart features on Antenna from this point on.

I have the same issue, except with my Comcast cable box. As soon as I set my TV up to run my Comcast cable box the Information button now brings up the current cable channel information. I think if I change it as you did I would not be able to control my cable box and guide menus. I do miss knowing what resolution the cable box channel is outputting. No more current time as well, but that was not a big deal as my cable box displays that. However, the information button works as advertised on all other sources like my Blu ray player and Xbox.
post #1107 of 1752 Old 07-31-2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badabing View Post

I have the same issue, except with my Comcast cable box. As soon as I set my TV up to run my Comcast cable box the Information button now brings up the current cable channel information. I think if I change it as you did I would not be able to control my cable box and guide menus. I do miss knowing what resolution the cable box channel is outputting. No more current time as well, but that was not a big deal as my cable box displays that. However, the information button works as advertised on all other sources like my Blu ray player and Xbox.
I think your right. I use my Harmony Ultimate remote so all is good.

Cheers
Willy
post #1108 of 1752 Old 07-31-2013, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badabing View Post

Same here, before the EK info showed the resolution and the little eco power gauge, after the kit I get the same info as if I press the info in my Directv remote, but I like the way the new remote and my tv is more integrated with my Directv STB so I do not care about that, what you guys can do, is setup your STB boxes resolution to original format (unaltered) or native resolution or whatever it is named in your STB, and choose all the resolutions BUT 480i, this way the STB will broadcast every channel in their original resolution, 480p, 720p, 1080i or 1080p (this only for movies), and because not all channels are broadcasting in the same resolution everytime you switch from a channel that is 720p to a 1080i it will show the resolution (changing channels will be a little slower though)
OR just click source and select your hdmi again and it will show the resolution (but no eco power gauge)
post #1109 of 1752 Old 07-31-2013, 06:37 PM

That be like having to buy a new computer every year to upgrade to the latest software.
post #1110 of 1752 Old 07-31-2013, 07:57 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowgwu View Post

That be like having to buy a new computer every year to upgrade to the latest software.

True,,,,, I really hope they add an extra HDMI input or two plus some advanced picture options to the next evolution kit. smile.gif
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung 46 Led Smart Tv , Samsung , Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46es8000 Led Hdtv , Samsung 75 Inch Led Smart 3d Hdtv Un75es9000
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page