OFFICIAL Samsung Smart TV "Evolution Kit" Thread - Page 70 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #2071 of 2100 Old 05-14-2015, 11:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Will this kit fix the problem of not being able to pass 5.1 through optical? I greatly need this problem solved. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2072 of 2100 Old 05-14-2015, 01:52 PM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 709 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peezy187 View Post
Will this kit fix the problem of not being able to pass 5.1 through optical? I greatly need this problem solved. Thanks.

Most of the Samsungs allow you to output 5.1 from the Samsung apps on the SmartHub; but none of them allow you to output 5.1 from any programming input via HDMI. That won't change with the "kit".
priuscat likes this.
post #2073 of 2100 Old 05-15-2015, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb View Post
Most of the Samsungs allow you to output 5.1 from the Samsung apps on the SmartHub; but none of them allow you to output 5.1 from any programming input via HDMI. That won't change with the "kit".
Thanks for the reply. It's interesting that you say this as it's the same thing Samsung tells me but right now i'm currently passing 5.1 from my Uverse box via HDMI input 1.

The reason i'm trying to have the TV pass the sound is when i hook everything up through my receiver, and then pass video to the TV, the picture is horrible and has major screen tearing. I have a nice 4K ready Onkyo receiver so i can't imagine it's the receiver's fault? Do you think the kit could fix this issue in some way? i.e. handling the video processing better?

Thanks.
post #2074 of 2100 Old 05-15-2015, 06:02 AM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. It's interesting that you say this as it's the same thing Samsung tells me but right now i'm currently passing 5.1 from my Uverse box via HDMI input 1.

The reason i'm trying to have the TV pass the sound is when i hook everything up through my receiver, and then pass video to the TV, the picture is horrible and has major screen tearing. I have a nice 4K ready Onkyo receiver so i can't imagine it's the receiver's fault? Do you think the kit could fix this issue in some way? i.e. handling the video processing better?

Thanks.

Apparently there a few cable STB's that have a setting which somehow facilitates the transmission of their 5.1 audio through the OCB and into a receiver via HDMI. I'll bet none of your other components (e.g., Blu-ray/DVD player) have that capability.

If you get a good picture going directly into the TV, but a poor picture going via the receiver, its the receiver or the HDMI cable between the receiver and the display. Most likely the receiver. My suggestion would be to look at the receiver setup. I had an Integra Pre-pro (make by Onkyo) that did a terrible job on video processing. Only solution was to "turn-off" any video processing including the on screen display and to provide a clean pass through.
post #2075 of 2100 Old 05-15-2015, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Apparently there a few cable STB's that have a setting which somehow facilitates the transmission of their 5.1 audio through the OCB and into a receiver via HDMI. I'll bet none of your other components (e.g., Blu-ray/DVD player) have that capability.

If you get a good picture going directly into the TV, but a poor picture going via the receiver, its the receiver or the HDMI cable between the receiver and the display. Most likely the receiver. My suggestion would be to look at the receiver setup. I had an Integra Pre-pro (make by Onkyo) that did a terrible job on video processing. Only solution was to "turn-off" any video processing including the on screen display and to provide a clean pass through.
You're correct that none of my other components will work. I have a "through" setting on my receiver but won't that also send the audio straight through? Or will it just send the video, allowing me to still have the audio processed by the receiver? Also, as nothing i'm currently passing through the receiver is 4K, should i leave the output setting on 1080P? (I tried both 1080P and 4K and still got the bad results) Thanks again for all the help.
post #2076 of 2100 Old 05-15-2015, 07:27 AM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You're correct that none of my other components will work. I have a "through" setting on my receiver but won't that also send the audio straight through? Or will it just send the video, allowing me to still have the audio processed by the receiver? Also, as nothing i'm currently passing through the receiver is 4K, should i leave the output setting on 1080P? (I tried both 1080P and 4K and still got the bad results) Thanks again for all the help.

The through setting should send the video through without processing but still process your audio.

Let the Samsung upconvert the video to 4K, it will do as good or probably better than the Onkyo. On a "through" setting the Onkyo should not touch the video. If your component is outputting 720P, that's what you want to get to the Samsung. If 1080i or 1080P, the same thing. Bottom line: You don't want the Onkyo to do anything. If it's currently upconverting to 4K or 1080P, I'm betting that is where your problems begin. And if you still have problems, try also turning off the on screen display (I would keep that if it isn't causing any problems--but it did cause problems with my Integra). Plus, if all that doesn't work, try changing the HDMI cable from the receiver to the display and/or try changing the input/output connections terminals. Something in the chain from component to the display is the issue.

If you can't get video through the Onkyo without it "screwing up" the picture, it is faulty and needs repair. The primary point of a receiver is to take HDMI for multiple sources, allow for selection of a specific source, strip off and process the audio, and provide good video output to the display.

Last edited by rlb; 05-15-2015 at 07:45 AM.
post #2077 of 2100 Old 05-15-2015, 07:46 AM

OK man i'll double check everything and try it again. I feel like the original setting on the receiver was probably just "auto" or whatever so i'm not too hopeful that switching back to that will help. BUT, if "through" can just send the video and let the Onkyo handle the audio that will be perfect.

Thanks again and i will update you with the results!

Any idea how to turn off the on screen display for the receiver? Not exactly sure what you mean by that.
post #2078 of 2100 Old 05-15-2015, 08:08 AM

sorry, one last thing and then i'll leave you alone. What about the ARC input? Anything special i need to do with that? Or just avoid it? THANKS
post #2079 of 2100 Old 05-15-2015, 08:50 AM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quote:
sorry, one last thing and then i'll leave you alone. What about the ARC input? Anything special i need to do with that? Or just avoid it? THANKS

Regarding your prior question about on screen display (OSD). It's normally a setup selection under menu/video. Might be called something else; but it's the capability of displaying on the display the audio level, or input used/name of component, plus maybe other info, anytime you input something to the receiver or maybe "hit" the "info" button on the receiver.

Lots of people use ARC; but personally I choose to use optical digital between the display output and the receiver input. ARC can create more problems than it is worth; and the audio quality between the two is identical. Both ARC and optical digital between display and receiver are limited to DD 5.1 or less (no lossless codecs). If you want to implement ARC, read both owner manuals and carefully follow directions. Normally requires turning on ARC on both plus HDMI-CEC on the Samsung.
post #2080 of 2100 Old 05-15-2015, 09:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Or if you don't mind all the cables you could just run one hdmi to tv from original source and one optical to receiver from original source for each a/v source.
post #2081 of 2100 Old 05-15-2015, 03:16 PM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppagene View Post
Or if you don't mind all the cables you could just run one hdmi to tv from original source and one optical to receiver from original source for each a/v source.

You still lose your lossless codecs (Dolby True HD and DTS-HD MA) for Blu-ray unless you have a player like my OPPO-103D that allows 2 HDMI's out (one to display for video and one to receiver for audio). Optical Digital won't handle lossless.
post #2082 of 2100 Old 05-15-2015, 07:15 PM

Quote:
You still lose your lossless codecs (Dolby True HD and DTS-HD MA) for Blu-ray unless you have a player like my OPPO-103D that allows 2 HDMI's out (one to display for video and one to receiver for audio). Optical Digital won't handle lossless.
you weren't getting lossless from optical out from samsung tv
post #2083 of 2100 Old 05-15-2015, 08:57 PM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quote:
you weren't getting lossless from optical out from samsung tv

I never said you did! But if you read all our posts, immediately prior to you jumping in, I was trying to help him get sound from HDMI going from components via receiver to the display. That allows for lossless. Your recommendation for HDMI to display for video and optical digital to receiver for audio doesn't allow for lossless (like I said).
post #2084 of 2100 Old 05-18-2015, 08:51 AM

Just wanted to post an update and a thanks for all the help. Using "through" on the receiver fixed the problem and now everything is working as i wanted from the beginning. I really appreciate it as this has been bugging the **** out of me!

Now I just need to figure out why i can't get into the advanced picture settings menu lol.

Since is this is the evolution kid thread, may i ask what the purpose and benefit of these kits are? Is it basically just future proofing to enable the TV to keep up with the changing standards and codecs of 4K until all is set in stone? What is the reason to buy one now rather than just keep waiting for future versions as long as everything is currently working?

A million thanks!
post #2085 of 2100 Old 05-18-2015, 09:56 AM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Just wanted to post an update and a thanks for all the help. Using "through" on the receiver fixed the problem and now everything is working as i wanted from the beginning. I really appreciate it as this has been bugging the **** out of me!

Now I just need to figure out why i can't get into the advanced picture settings menu lol.

Since is this is the evolution kid thread, may i ask what the purpose and benefit of these kits are? Is it basically just future proofing to enable the TV to keep up with the changing standards and codecs of 4K until all is set in stone? What is the reason to buy one now rather than just keep waiting for future versions as long as everything is currently working?

A million thanks!

Last year's kit (SEK-2500U) provided a faster processor (quad core plus), improved picture quality and provided h.265 and HDCP 2.2. H.265 is required for streaming Netflix 4K. This year's SEK-3500 goes to an octa core processor, upgraded chips for accomplishing upconversion, VP9 (allows you to watch You Tube 4K), and everything required for using the UHD Blu-ray players which will be released at the end of the year.

My personal opinion is that I've never received "better bang for the buck" with consumer electronics than I did with last year's SEK-2500U.
LordArt likes this.
post #2086 of 2100 Old 05-18-2015, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Last year's kit (SEK-2500U) provided a faster processor (quad core plus), improved picture quality and provided h.265 and HDCP 2.2. H.265 is required for streaming Netflix 4K. This year's SEK-3500 goes to an octa core processor, upgraded chips for accomplishing upconversion, VP9 (allows you to watch You Tube 4K), and everything required for using the UHD Blu-ray players which will be released at the end of the year.

My personal opinion is that I've never received "better bang for the buck" with consumer electronics than I did with last year's SEK-2500U.
Hmmmm

I have a HU7200 and unless i'm really, really blind i'm already able to stream Netflix and Youtube 4K from the smart hub. Am i missing something?
post #2087 of 2100 Old 05-18-2015, 01:37 PM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hmmmm

I have a HU7200 and unless i'm really, really blind i'm already able to stream Netflix and Youtube 4K from the smart hub. Am i missing something?

I was discussing the full one connect. With the HU7200 I know you don't get the full one connect but believe you get the smaller "mini" revolutionary kit.

Yes, you can currently get Netflix 4k because you have h.265; but I don't believe you are really seeing Youtube 4K (its coming in at a reduced resolution) because it requires VP9 (which you definitely don't have on a 2014 Samsung). Additionally, I'm sure VP9 is included on the full 2015 one connect; but don't know for sure about the mini. If I were you, I would specifically research the mini.

Last edited by rlb; 05-18-2015 at 01:41 PM.
post #2088 of 2100 Old 05-18-2015, 01:40 PM

Quote:
I was discussing the full one connect. With the HU7200 I know you don't get the full one connect but believe you get the smaller "mini" revolutionary kit.

Yes, you can currently get Netflix 4k because you have h.265; but I don't believe you are really seeing Youtube 4K because it requires VP9 (which you definitely don't have on a 2014 Samsung). Additionally, I'm sure VP9 is included on the full 2015 one connect; but don't know for sure about the mini. If I were you, I would specifically research the mini.
OK I'll look into it. I'm assuming you're saying the "mini" is built in to my TV? I don't have any additional external components.
post #2089 of 2100 Old 05-18-2015, 01:47 PM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quote:
OK I'll look into it. I'm assuming you're saying the "mini" is built in to my TV? I don't have any additional external components.

No you don't have one now; but I believe one may be available as a revolutionary kit (just like the hu8550 doesn't have the one connect box; but one may be added for 2015 as an upgrade). Samsung has had the revolutionary kit (non one connect box) available for their upper tier Smart TVs for several years. Example: http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/t...es/SEK-1000/XC

Of course, I may be totally "full of ----" on this one.
post #2090 of 2100 Old 05-18-2015, 01:56 PM

Talked to Samsung and my TV doesn't have either kit. They say i'm still able to access YouTube 4K content though...
post #2091 of 2100 Old 05-18-2015, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Hmmmm

You have an hu7200 and the sek-3500U will be compatible with your tv. it will increase your processing for quad to octa (8) cores among other enhancements. The youtube videos are currently being upscaled rather than displayed natively. You can stream netflix and amazon prime 4k from the smart hub without the upscaling
rlb likes this.
post #2092 of 2100 Old 05-18-2015, 07:29 PM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You have an hu7200 and the sek-3500U will be compatible with your tv. it will increase your processing for quad to octa (8) cores among other enhancements. The youtube videos are currently being upscaled rather than displayed natively. You can stream netflix and amazon prime 4k from the smart hub without the upscaling
You are right on all counts. Regarding compatibility: http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs-.../ZA-compatible

It lists the hu7200 as compatible with the sek-3500.
post #2093 of 2100 Old 05-18-2015, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1914 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Talked to Samsung and my TV doesn't have either kit. They say i'm still able to access YouTube 4K content though...
Technically u can access the youtube 4k videos and they will play but it will only be in 1080p and then upscaled to 4k.
post #2094 of 2100 Old 05-19-2015, 06:10 AM

What you guys are saying is very counterintuitive because the 4K youtube stuff i've been looking it looks really, really, amazing and the 4K netflix stuff looks good but not near as good.

Might have to try and download a 4K video or something. Is there any sort of indicator on the TV that will tell me if what i'm watching is native 4K or upscaled?
post #2095 of 2100 Old 05-19-2015, 07:19 AM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quote:
What you guys are saying is very counterintuitive because the 4K youtube stuff i've been looking it looks really, really, amazing and the 4K netflix stuff looks good but not near as good.

Might have to try and download a 4K video or something. Is there any sort of indicator on the TV that will tell me if what i'm watching is native 4K or upscaled?

I don't believe the You Tube app provides resolution. However, everything I've read says VP9 is required to receive/watch UHD from You Tube. The 2014 Samsungs definitely don't have VP9. The 2015 Samsungs will have VP9 and for the expressed purpose of viewing UHD on You Tube.

When watching Netflix the "info" provides resolution (depending upon your remote you may have to use keypad and then info). But unless you are grandfathered, you must pay for UHD. If you go to your Netflix homepage and you don't have a separate section for "UltraHD/4K" (just like separate sections for "my list", "recommended", "recently added", etc.) then you can't get 4K without changing your membership criteria.
post #2096 of 2100 Old 05-19-2015, 07:57 AM

Quote:
I don't believe the You Tube app provides resolution. However, everything I've read says VP9 is required to receive/watch UHD from You Tube. The 2014 Samsungs definitely don't have VP9. The 2015 Samsungs will have VP9 and for the expressed purpose of viewing UHD on You Tube.

When watching Netflix the "info" provides resolution (depending upon your remote you may have to use keypad and then info). But unless you are grandfathered, you must pay for UHD. If you go to your Netflix homepage and you don't have a separate section for "UltraHD/4K" (just like separate sections for "my list", "recommended", "recently added", etc.) then you can't get 4K without changing your membership criteria.
I've downloaded one of the youtube vidoes that i've previously streamed to compare the two. I realize compression plays a part but if you're correct and i'm not truly seeing 4K then i expect the difference will be night and day. Just hope i can get the video to play off of a thumb drive plugged into the TV....

I did upgrade my Netflix service and what i've been watching (Daredevil) is from the "4K UHD" group so it should be correct.
post #2097 of 2100 Old 05-19-2015, 09:08 AM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I've downloaded one of the youtube vidoes that i've previously streamed to compare the two. I realize compression plays a part but if you're correct and i'm not truly seeing 4K then i expect the difference will be night and day. Just hope i can get the video to play off of a thumb drive plugged into the TV....

I did upgrade my Netflix service and what i've been watching (Daredevil) is from the "4K UHD" group so it should be correct.

I haven't watch Daredevil yet; but I've read that it's some of their worst 4K (grainy).

Oh, I just thought about the fact that you probably won't see any difference. You Tube encodes with VP9 and you don't have it for decoding whether it comes in via Ethernet or a thumb drive.

Last edited by rlb; 05-19-2015 at 10:24 AM.
post #2098 of 2100 Old 05-19-2015, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Pushing the Info Button, always shows the Input Res - if 4K or not 4k coming up, Info will tell you.
Problem is, some incoming video sources won't give you the info you want, or not work at all.
post #2099 of 2100 Old 05-19-2015, 11:15 AM

Quote:
I haven't watch Daredevil yet; but I've read that it's some of their worst 4K (grainy).

Oh, I just thought about the fact that you probably won't see any difference. You Tube encodes with VP9 and you don't have it for decoding whether it comes in via Ethernet or a thumb drive.
lol Very timely. Just watched it on my lunch break and you are correct, it looked the same. i guess i'll have to keep searching for a true 4K source to test. I'll eventually get the connect box though. Thanks again to all!
post #2100 of 2100 Old Today, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Overscan?

My UN65ES8000F shipped with about a 5% overscan (picture edges lost and pixels interpolated). I fixed the issue on the set.

Recently I added the SEK-2000. The overscan reappeared, but now I can't figure out how to remove it.

Has anyone solved this?

Thanks,
DrOrb
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung 46 Led Smart Tv , Samsung , Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46es8000 Led Hdtv , Samsung 75 Inch Led Smart 3d Hdtv Un75es9000
Gear in this thread