OFFICIAL Samsung Smart TV "Evolution Kit" Thread - Page 76 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 41Likes

post #2251 of 2256 Old 08-31-2016, 08:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
mmontanez,

I also have the 2013 F8000, with the latest 1214 firmware. I'm not familiar with the 2015 JS9000 hub. Do you consider this hub update, along with the Octa core and 2015 remote, a significant improvement to the F8000? Enough to justify the $250 price? That's a pretty expensive remote, otherwise.

The earlier SEK-2000 evolution kit for the 2013 non-UHD sets was not particularly well received. I'm really hoping the SEK-3000 will turn out to be a worthwhile upgrade, since it's the last evolution kit we're likely to see for our 2013 sets.

torgy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2252 of 2256 Old 08-31-2016, 09:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbm66 View Post
I got my SEK-3000 on Friday and installed it on an PN64F8500 and my tv is pretty borked now.
The last page of the manual does not have the 8500 listed on the Compatible Models list...
post #2253 of 2256 Old 09-01-2016, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsalsero View Post
The last page of the manual does not have the 8500 listed on the Compatible Models list...
I saw that as well. I also saw for a year and a half that the F8500's next kit was the SEK-3000, that the Korean's got the SEK-3000k back in november for the F8500 (as well all all the other 1080 tvs that take evo kits). And when installed it identified my TV by name, and then updated the TV's firmware. The TV also had no problem booting into the EVO kit and updating its firmware. Wasnt until it was all done and installed that the problems showed up and then it was impossible to remove. There is no way that the kit would know the model of my tv and still install if it was not designed for it.

The main problem at this point is that Samsung support every day since Last friday, refuses to admit this is even a samsung product. I have B&H Photo trying to ring some bells for me since they are an authorized dealer. Plus newegg today started selling the SEK-3000 today as well so I sent that link to support too.

If they would just tell the people that are responsible for making the firmware about the problem I am quite sure they could fix it quickly.
post #2254 of 2256 Old 09-01-2016, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsalsero View Post
And the box lists 2012, 2013 and 2014 TV's, as being compatible. Due to the conflict between the manual and the box; as most people buy based on what the outside carton says. I have reached out to Samsung, and they say they are looking into it.

When the first Evolution TV's came out in 2012, they had the disclaimer that evolution would only take you till 2016. I have the SEK-2000 on my UN46ES8000, and am happy with it. Knowing that this might be the last "kick at the can", I hope they confirm, that this SEK-3000, will work on the 2012's, as the box stats. A new firmware update is the least they could do.

Samsung UN46ES8000F TV, Samsung WMN350M mini wall mount, Samsung VG-KBD1500 bluetooth keyboard, Samsung HT-E6730W home theater
post #2255 of 2256 Old Yesterday, 05:24 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbm66 View Post
I saw that as well. I also saw for a year and a half that the F8500's next kit was the SEK-3000, that the Korean's got the SEK-3000k back in november for the F8500 (as well all all the other 1080 tvs that take evo kits). And when installed it identified my TV by name, and then updated the TV's firmware. The TV also had no problem booting into the EVO kit and updating its firmware. Wasnt until it was all done and installed that the problems showed up and then it was impossible to remove. There is no way that the kit would know the model of my tv and still install if it was not designed for it.

The main problem at this point is that Samsung support every day since Last friday, refuses to admit this is even a samsung product. I have B&H Photo trying to ring some bells for me since they are an authorized dealer. Plus newegg today started selling the SEK-3000 today as well so I sent that link to support too.

If they would just tell the people that are responsible for making the firmware about the problem I am quite sure they could fix it quickly.
Any luck getting your TV fixed? I have a F8500 and have been watching all the features slowly get stripped from it with the occasional firmware updates. I was hoping the SEK-3000 would work for the PDP TV's. D:

If it detected your TV and updated it's firmware it seems it would have compatibility, however maybe it's possible it's misinterpited it as some varient from another country which might have subtle hardware variences (causing issues, while working somewhat).. I am fairly sure there were varients of the F8500 for oversea countries that included dual TV tuners and OTA recording capability, aswell as cable card compatiblity. (feel free to correct me, I am too tired ATM to fact-check XD )

If that's the case then it seems plausible that they'd easily be able to patch it and fix those issues. However, it could be they never intended it for the US market. (if you're in the US, that is)

The fact they deny it's a samsung product (the EVO kit) doesn't surprise me. The script readers in tech support don't know anything that isn't in their database.
Short Story, relevant though: I had a Samsung camcorder (yeah, this is an old story) which I contacted Samsung support when it died about 8 months after purchase (for warranty work). They denied it was a valid model number, so I sent them them a link to their own site listing the product. They told me the product on the link was not sold in the US, and that I MUST have bought it over seas and the warranty was invalid. I bought it at BestBuy, and told them I had a receipt. They denied it up down and all around.
Finally I was promised a callback from a 'supervisor'. Long story short, after a few excahnges he confirmed it was sold in the US however they were unable to repair it since it wasn't in their support/repair database and couldn't even RMA it for repair. Instead they upgraded me to a slightly higher end camcorder, didn't even ask for me to return the old one. I was happy enough that even after a dozen calls and a few hours of hold I was happy enough to not hold a grudge.

That's when I discovered that tech support for any electronics company are no more 'experts' than their troubleshooting script lets them be. Not in the script, then it's your fault, you're crazy, lieing, or if they're smart they'll just issue a RMA and let the service center worry about it. XD Otherwise hopefully you can get ahold of a manager that knows his stuff well enough to figure things out.

So hopefully it's something they CAN and WILL support and get working after some fact-digging.

Personally, I am fine /edit: reluctantly, begrudgingly, etc./ with a Roku to deal with apps/etc. that my TV is now lacking. I bought my TV in 2014, I never imagined just a year later it'd lose much of the smart fuctionality it had out of box (it was about that time they did the big firmware update that removed the old panel home interface and replaced it with the shortcut menu, which I hate).

The fact they PROMISED support for years with new EVO kits was a key selling point for this TV. Given samsung has seemingly turned blind eye to it is something that really killed my liking for samsung products recently. The salt worked even deeper into the wounds when they DID support 4K TV's of the same year, and now seemingly even LCD/LED's going back to 2012 (my PDP is a 2013 model).

If they made the SEK-3000 compible with everything evo kit compatible BUT plasmas / US PDP F8500, I'll probably never buy samsung again. Selective favouritism. particularly when the F8500 was one of their high end TV's of the time. This wasn't just a bargan-bin smart TV.

On a side note, to those that miiiiiight say "just get a new 4K TV". No. Many reasons. lol :3

Sorry for the long post D:

Last edited by deepspace1; Yesterday at 05:37 AM.
post #2256 of 2256 Old Yesterday, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Exclamation

I'm done with Samsung, going to try LG .

I had an issue with mine being defective and was blamed for the failure.

Also, this goes into the note 7 debacle. My note 5 basically did the same thing. Called them up, verified that it was still under warranty, still have 2monts left.Get an RAM with clearly staying IN WARRANTY A week later I get a repair bill for 200.00 and now it is mysteriously out of warranty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung 46 Led Smart Tv , Samsung , Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46es8000 Led Hdtv , Samsung 75 Inch Led Smart 3d Hdtv Un75es9000
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page