Samsung F8000 -- 2013 Flagship Models - Page 103 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3061 of 3705 Old 05-06-2013, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Well I think I've tracked down the source of my stuttering - it is the FiOS box.

I got the idea to do a full reset of the DVR. So I unplugged it, waited, plugged it back in, turned it on, let it do it's initial start-up again, and now there is no stuttering over HDMI. I've gone through dozens and dozens of HD channels, and no stuttering. I guess the DVR was having an issue. It does act up from time to time - sometimes using the guide the whole thing freezes up, or when I cycle through too many channels at once, it locks up sometimes. Brand new design but it's buggy as hell. It's the first cable box I've ever seen that looks like it belongs with my other home theatre components, but too bad it's full of issues. I also get lots of crackly noise like audio clipping with certain channels when loud sounds occur, like gunshots or loud engines roaring, and variable volume control never worked on this box even though I reported it last year to them and they confirmed it was broken in that model and said they would work on it.

Anyways, no stuttering currently over HDMI other than BBC America HD which is an odd channel I think - right now the commercials play fine, but the cooking reality show that's on is all stuttery, even through component, so I think that channel might have some weird framerate issues.

Now, when I say no stuttering, I mean with AMP Off. With AMP on custom (my usual judder=0, blur-10), all the channels do stutter badly, and many take on the soap opera effect also. So AMP is another thing altogether and is totally broken as far as I'm concerned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3062 of 3705 Old 05-06-2013, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJTORIBIO View Post

I have fios hd Dvr as well and have not notice the problems you have ? Using buzz settings I like the picture so far ...

Which output setting are we suppose to set the fios box to ?

This is a topic of debate - you have the choice of setting it to 720p, 1080i, or native (the native option is only available in the box's hidden menu). Part of it might just come down to which channels you watch more. Some channels broadcast in 720p, some in 1080i. So either way some channels will be going through a conversion. I like the idea of outputting 720p because then you don't have to worry about what film mode you should set the tv on for de-interlacing (film mode 1 or film mode 2, or off). That doesn't even apply when dealing with 720p, so I use that for my output. My Motorola FiOS box has a hidden menu, where you can select "native" output, meaning whatever the broadcast is in is what is output - no conversion.But there is one large drawback to that - when channel surfing, it takes ages because every time you go from a channel that is broadcasting in 720p to one that is broadcasting 1080i, or vice-versa, the screen goes black for a moment while the tv switches to handle the new source. It gets very irritating very fast, and I tried it briefly. The first night I tried it my girlfriend was so annoyed by it I switched it back to 720p. It's not really a very good option to think about for that reason. If you always know what you want to tune to, then maybe that's fine then - but native makes surfing unpleasant. I think you can't go wrong with 720p.
post #3063 of 3705 Old 05-06-2013, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben818 View Post

Hey Eagle I can tell you that on my 46 F8000 it never stutters on any channel, BBC America just tested for an episode of the nerdist and have seen kitchen nightmares the other day on it too, with AMP off. Now when I turn AMP to any setting other than clear bad stuttering on lots of channels. ABC seems the worst for me. Custom stutters so badly with 0 judder and 10 blur settings I can't watch ABC at all with that setting. I have come to the conclusion with what I've read here and elsewhere that this is not just my TV but a problem with AMP on all F8000's.

I have a Time Warner Cable DVR Box and hooked it up with HDMI through my Denon receiver. I also hooked it up directly to the TV via HDMI from the cable box. I don't have a component cable to try that out but I doubt that would change anything. I also tried having the box set to 720p only and then 1080i only on the output options. Again no change. I am very pleased with the picture quality of this set and do not regret my purchase at all. I hope they fix this with an update to the firmware. I also hope they fix the game mode not doing anything to help with the input lag. I don't want to change the setting to PC mode to play games.

Thank you for sharing your experiences with your cable.

If you are concerned over the input lag in game mode, please call Samsung and report the issue to them - their number is under "contact" on their website. They aren't going to fix this if nobody calls to complain about it. The more people call about this, the better.
post #3064 of 3705 Old 05-06-2013, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk View Post

Then doesn't it seem there are still some issues with AMP in addition to HDMI?

I suspect the HDMI may be a malfunction in your set, or related to FIOS. Or is it working the same with DVD/BR?

Yup, my FiOS box was to blame for the stuttering on all my channels over HDMI. A box reset has solved it (for now).

But AMP is definitely worthless right now. It causes nothing but trouble. Blur reduction does not work because using any setting in custom causes major stuttering, and the only preset that seems to work at all without stuttering is clear. I'm starting to believe that the stuttering caused by enabling AMP is due to the motion blur reduction it uses, not the frame interpolation. Here's why I think this might be the case:

Here is their description of the AMP settings:

- Clear - Sets Auto Motion Plus to (low) blur reduction, (high) judder reduction.

- Standard - Sets Auto Motion Plus to (medium) blur reduction, (medium) judder reduction.

- Smooth - Sets Auto Motion Plus to (high) blur reduction, (low) judder reduction.

- Custom - You can set blur and judder reduction to your personal preference.

Now, looking at what each preset above provides - the only preset that works for me with out stuttering is Clear. And that is the preset with the lowest blur reduction setting.

Both Smooth and Custom have blur reduction set higher, and both stutter. Also, custom stutters for me if I enable blur reduction. So the modes that stutter are the ones that use blur reduction. The one out of all those that works without stuttering is also the one that uses the least amount of blur reduction. Of course, this is just a theory - who knows what's really wrong with AMP? But there does seem to be a correlation here.
post #3065 of 3705 Old 05-06-2013, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post

Maybe when everything is in high frame rate like Peter Jackson and James Cameron want we'll be rid of all this non sense.

But then I'll never want to watch another new film again, since I hate that soap opera look for films. The we'll need a setting for doing the opposite of frame-interpolation to remove frames to make it look like 24p. I think the general public will not willingly accept that framerate as a universal standard - too many people think it looks weird, which it does. It makes films look fake or sped-up.
post #3066 of 3705 Old 05-06-2013, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 View Post

This is a topic of debate - you have the choice of setting it to 720p, 1080i, or native (the native option is only available in the box's hidden menu). Part of it might just come down to which channels you watch more. Some channels broadcast in 720p, some in 1080i. So either way some channels will be going through a conversion. I like the idea of outputting 720p because then you don't have to worry about what film mode you should set the tv on for de-interlacing (film mode 1 or film mode 2, or off). That doesn't even apply when dealing with 720p, so I use that for my output. My Motorola FiOS box has a hidden menu, where you can select "native" output, meaning whatever the broadcast is in is what is output - no conversion.But there is one large drawback to that - when channel surfing, it takes ages because every time you go from a channel that is broadcasting in 720p to one that is broadcasting 1080i, or vice-versa, the screen goes black for a moment while the tv switches to handle the new source. It gets very irritating very fast, and I tried it briefly. The first night I tried it my girlfriend was so annoyed by it I switched it back to 720p. It's not really a very good option to think about for that reason. If you always know what you want to tune to, then maybe that's fine then - but native makes surfing unpleasant. I think you can't go wrong with 720p.

Thanks for the Great response...
post #3067 of 3705 Old 05-06-2013, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi29 View Post

Hi Eagle ,

All of the "auto -off" were set to off and both voice and camera are disabled , it was weird , I have heard about tv`s doing that , but never had one.

For some reason it has not happened again , I will keep you posted. smile.gif

O__BTW , do you have a chance to go to speediest.net and check your wireless speed ? , many thanks biggrin.gif

So you get your second this week ?

OK , later smile.gif

Gary 

Okay, I ran speedtest.net on both the built-in browser, and also my PC.

Wired LAN through gigabit switch:

F8000:
Ping - 24ms
Download Speed - 45.19 Mbps
Upload Speed - 1.93 Mbps

PC:
Ping - 21ms
Download Speed - 84.16 Mbps
Upload Speed - 32.72 Mbps

Wireless:

F8000:
Ping - 27ms
Download Speed - 15.52 Mbps
Upload Speed - 1.33 Mbps

So yeah - big difference. I wouldn't want to surf with my tv, especially through wireless - I'd just switch to PC mode and surf with my PC. I can see the convenience of it though if my PC is off and I don't want to fire it up just to check a web page. Also, I noticed you lose even more picture options using the browser app than using PC mode - with the browser app all I get for a picture setting option is backlight setting - absolutely nothing else is available.
post #3068 of 3705 Old 05-06-2013, 01:19 PM

I'm interested in getting the F8000 but I'm concerned about the input lag as well, judging from the reviews the current game mode isn't worthy of its name. I'll contact Samsung and ask if they intend to fix this or not. I do have one question though: I understand renaming the input to "PC" brings down the input lag to acceptable levels (although just barely) . But I haven't been able to find what this actually means in terms of picture quality, and which options are lost compared to "game mode". Does anyone have any details on this?
post #3069 of 3705 Old 05-06-2013, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm convinced that custom in AMP is just plain broken. On any setting, it just stutters. Even with blur=0, judder=0 - it still stutters. Jut selecting custom, even with everything on 0, causes stuttering. The only thing in all of AMP that doesn't cause issues is "clear". Amp is very poorly implemented and mostly worthless.
post #3070 of 3705 Old 05-06-2013, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radik View Post

I'm interested in getting the F8000 but I'm concerned about the input lag as well, judging from the reviews the current game mode isn't worthy of its name. I'll contact Samsung and ask if they intend to fix this or not. I do have one question though: I understand renaming the input to "PC" brings down the input lag to acceptable levels (although just barely) . But I haven't been able to find what this actually means in terms of picture quality, and which options are lost compared to "game mode". Does anyone have any details on this?

In PC mode, the only options available are:

backlight
contrast
brightness
sharpness
color tone
white balance
gamma

Everything else is unavailable. That's a lot of missing options. But PC mode does support 4:4:4 chroma, which is a good thing if you use a PC for gaming. If you're using a console, then this doesn't matter. PC definitely makes a very noticeable difference compared to game mode which seemingly does nothing.

Thanks for wanting to contact Samsung over this. It's the only way this will get addressed.
post #3071 of 3705 Old 05-06-2013, 01:54 PM

Liked: 52
It could be nothing, but I cant help but notice that Cnet and FlatpanelsHD have not put up their F8000 reviews yet (FlatpaneldHD got the TV on April 14th). Maybe Samsung is making them hold their reviews until they can release an update to fix some of the bugs (LG did this last year with the LM9600).

I'm having a hard time understanding why a TV with a quad core processor has such high lag time and problems with stuttering. With both the PS4 and the new Xbox coming out later this year, you'd think Samsung would spend MORE time on game mode this year.
post #3072 of 3705 Old 05-06-2013, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipsegt View Post

It could be nothing, but I cant help but notice that Cnet and FlatpanelsHD have not put up their F8000 reviews yet (FlatpaneldHD got the TV on April 14th). Maybe Samsung is making them hold their reviews until they can release an update to fix some of the bugs (LG did this last year with the LM9600).

I'm having a hard time understanding why a TV with a quad core processor has such high lag time and problems with stuttering. With both the PS4 and the new Xbox coming out later this year, you'd think Samsung would spend MORE time on game mode this year.

I've been wondering also why flatpanelsHD hasn't put their review up yet. They've had this set for a while now.

And yeah, I really thought a quad-core processor would have improved input lag in game mode and improved AMP motion processing - instead, both game mode and AMP are worse than last year. Way to go, Samsung.

I'm very curious as to what CNET thinks about this set, since they weren't very fond of the ES8000 last year.
post #3073 of 3705 Old 05-06-2013, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:

Well I think I've tracked down the source of my stuttering - it is the FiOS box.

Anyways, no stuttering currently over HDMI other than BBC America HD which is an odd channel I think - right now the commercials play fine, but the cooking reality show that's on is all stuttery, even through component, so I think that channel might have some weird framerate issues.

Now, when I say no stuttering, I mean with AMP Off. With AMP on custom (my usual judder=0, blur-10), all the channels do stutter badly, and many take on the soap opera effect also. AMP is another thing altogether and is totally broken as far as I'm concerned.

I have had the same DirecTV box since 2009 and had Zero stuttering on my Samsung A850 LCD from 2009-2012.

I went through a Samsung D6900, ES7100 and F7100 in 2012-13 all with some form of stuttering with the same DirecTV box.

Its a processing issue in the HDTV- I also noticed aftifact issues with MGMHD on the D6900 and ES7100 that were not on the A850 and F7100.
post #3074 of 3705 Old 05-06-2013, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Hi Eagle ,

Thanks for doing the speed test thing for me and posting your results.

I can see by the numbers that wirelessly you drop about over half your speed as opposed to wired.

Now I must hook my F8000 up "hard wired" and see what I end up , since I have Comcast , I should get at least 10 or 12 Mbps down.

Take care and thanks again ! smile.gif

Gary 
post #3075 of 3705 Old 05-06-2013, 04:18 PM

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radik View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by adgrimes View Post

Game mode settings not available:

Picture Options:
Film Mode
Auto Motion Plus

Advanced Settings:
10p White Balance (forced off)
Motion Lighting

PC Mode settings not available:
Tone
Color
Picture Options:
Digital Clean View
MPEG Noise Filter
HDMI Black Level
Film Mode
Auto Motion Plus
Smart LED
Cinema Black

Advanced Settings:
Dynamic Contrast
Black Tone
Flesh
RGB Only Mode
Color Space
10P White Balance
Expert Pattern
Motion Lighting

Entering PC Mode:
Source
Move Up/Right and select Tools
Drop Down List of Names Appears
Select PC

Note: PC mode can only be accessed on sources not assigned to a "Samsung" device(i.e. Samsung Bluray) or any input set up with their universal remote system...it renames source forcing a keyboard naming option that does not enable PC mode. Simply select HDMI 1/2/3/4, select tools(top right), a drop down list should appear, select PC and select it. This mode/dropdown list is ONLY accessible from HDMI's that weren't previously assigned to a Samsung Product or your universal remote. If you wish to assign PC mode to a port previously assigned to STB, just delete the universal remote settings.

This is for the 15.2 firmware. I will go through tonight and check to see if anything else changed. This is the post i will update: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1463286/official-samsung-unxxf8000-owners-thread/360#post_23177730
post #3076 of 3705 Old 05-06-2013, 05:10 PM

What is this "Smart LED" setting and how do you get to it? I can't seem to find the setting.. :S
post #3077 of 3705 Old 05-06-2013, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:

I've been wondering also why flatpanelsHD hasn't put their review up yet. They've had this set for a while now.

And yeah, I really thought a quad-core processor would have improved input lag in game mode and improved AMP motion processing - instead, both game mode and AMP are worse than last year. Way to go, Samsung.

I'm very curious as to what CNET thinks about this set, since they weren't very fond of the ES8000 last year.

I think the "quad core processor" is for the UI and apps. All the video processing is probably done by dedicated processors.. Samsung doesn't tell you what those are, just as they don't advertise what networking chip they use, as that kind of info is meaningless to 99.9% of buyers.

But "quad core processor" sounds good. I'm sure we'll soon hear our washing machine has a "dual core processor," meaning it must wash twice as fast as the slow ass single core model.
post #3078 of 3705 Old 05-06-2013, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratesCove View Post

I have had the same DirecTV box since 2009 and had Zero stuttering on my Samsung A850 LCD from 2009-2012.

I went through a Samsung D6900, ES7100 and F7100 in 2012-13 all with some form of stuttering with the same DirecTV box.

Its a processing issue in the HDTV- I also noticed aftifact issues with MGMHD on the D6900 and ES7100 that were not on the A850 and F7100.

Well the stuttering I was getting with AMP off was definitely the FiOS DVR box's fault, because ever since the moment I unplugged and reset the box, I've had no stuttering on any of the channels - the same channels that were stuttering big time before I did the box reset.

But the stuttering I get with AMP on is definitely an issue with the AMP processsing.
post #3079 of 3705 Old 05-06-2013, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post

I think the "quad core processor" is for the UI and apps. All the video processing is probably done by dedicated processors.. Samsung doesn't tell you what those are, just as they don't advertise what networking chip they use, as that kind of info is meaningless to 99.9% of buyers.

But "quad core processor" sounds good. I'm sure we'll soon hear our washing machine has a "dual core processor," meaning it must wash twice as fast as the slow ass single core model.

I think you're right - it likely has nothing to do with helping the image processing, only the apps and menus. But they don't tell you that of course. Still, even if it's no better for image processing, why did things take a step backwards? AMP custom is messed up because I can't even enable blur reduction, and game mode has twice the lag of last year. What did they do wrong this year to make this happen?
post #3080 of 3705 Old 05-06-2013, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitlyn2004 View Post

What is this "Smart LED" setting and how do you get to it? I can't seem to find the setting.. :S

SMART LED is available in the "Picture Options" menu, which is a sub-menu of the main "Picture" menu. I think we're all still trying to get a firm grasp of what it's doing exactly, but I find it helps with contrast and improves black level quite a bit - but in my opinion you shouldn't go higher than low tih it - any higher and it affects the image negatively. I believe it may control the "micro-dimming" they advertise for these sets.

Only the F8000 has this setting from what I understand - lower models don't have this setting, though they do have a form of micro-dimming built-in.
post #3081 of 3705 Old 05-06-2013, 07:04 PM

Quote:

SMART LED is available in the "Picture Options" menu, which is a sub-menu of the main "Picture" menu. I think we're all still trying to get a firm grasp of what it's doing exactly, but I find it helps with contrast and improves black level quite a bit - but in my opinion you shouldn't go higher than low tih it - any higher and it affects the image negatively. I believe it may control the "micro-dimming" they advertise for these sets.

Only the F8000 has this setting from what I understand - lower models don't have this setting, though they do have a form of micro-dimming built-in.

Hmm under Picture->Picture Options I only have:

- Color Tone
- Digital Clean View
- MPEG Noise Filter
- HDMI black level (grayed out)
- Film mode (grayed out)
- Auto Motion Plus
- Cinema Black

Where's this "Smart LED"??? :S
post #3082 of 3705 Old 05-06-2013, 07:55 PM

Quote:

- Color Tone
- Digital Clean View
- MPEG Noise Filter
- Film mode (grayed out)
- Auto Motion Plus
- Cinema Black

If you are 100% its the F800, it SHOULD be between Auto Motion Plus and Cinema Black. Even if PC mode is enabled it should still be visible but greyed out. Try completely reseting the tv under support...be warned you loose all your settings which sucks.
post #3083 of 3705 Old 05-06-2013, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

- Color Tone
- Digital Clean View
- MPEG Noise Filter
- Film mode (grayed out)
- Auto Motion Plus
- Cinema Black

It should be there near the bottom. Do you definitely have the F8000? Last year's model didn't have this feature and this year only the F8000 does - the other models do not.
post #3084 of 3705 Old 05-07-2013, 04:57 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

- Color Tone
- Digital Clean View
- MPEG Noise Filter
- Film mode (grayed out)
- Auto Motion Plus
- Cinema Black

Do you have the US version of the F8000? If not, then there's no Smart LED setting!
post #3085 of 3705 Old 05-07-2013, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedGrant View Post

Do you have the US version of the F8000? If not, then there's no Smart LED setting!

Yep I've got the North American F8000 - live in Canada... UN60F8000

I'll try resetting the TV when I get home today. That's WEIRD...

I didn't have it before, just updated to firmware 1102.2 (which appears to have reset everything?) and still no menu option...
post #3086 of 3705 Old 05-07-2013, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

Now that was a very knowledgeable and helpful post. Thanks.
post #3087 of 3705 Old 05-07-2013, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:

I'm convinced that custom in AMP is just plain broken. On any setting, it just stutters. Even with blur=0, judder=0 - it still stutters. Jut selecting custom, even with everything on 0, causes stuttering. The only thing in all of AMP that doesn't cause issues is "clear". Amp is very poorly implemented and mostly worthless.

So what happens with "clear"?

Dave

post #3088 of 3705 Old 05-07-2013, 11:17 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Yep I've got the North American F8000 - live in Canada... UN60F8000

I'll try resetting the TV when I get home today. That's WEIRD...

I didn't have it before, just updated to firmware 1102.2 (which appears to have reset everything?) and still no menu option...

Unfortunately, I don't think the sets sold in Canada come with SMART LED. Friend's F8000 does not have the option and neither did the display models I have seen. Cinema black is also different as it has low, med and high options. The units we get here resemble the European version which I find really odd. It was not like this last year with the ES.
post #3089 of 3705 Old 05-07-2013, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

That's strange - I would have thought the US version and the Canadian version would have been the same. I guess not.
post #3090 of 3705 Old 05-07-2013, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Jetjockey has been so very helpful in this thread. I hope everybody has taken the time to thank him for all the assistance he's provided others here. rolleyes.gif

He's been on my case for a while now - look at his post history - out of 45 posts, a decent portion of them have been aimed at attacking me directly. Yet what has he contributed?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Led Hdtv , Sony Bravia Xbr65hx929 65 Inch 1080p 3d Local Dimming Led Hdtv With Built In Wifi Black , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung 55 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv Un55f8000
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page