Samsung F8000 -- 2013 Flagship Models - Page 112 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3331 of 3705 Old 06-23-2013, 10:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
So, I'm torn between the f8000/7500 and the sony W900A.

Really what it's coming down to is samsungs smart features (particularly second screen ability) but high input lag (40+ ms) vs sony's amazing input lag (<10ms) but average smart features.

I am a big gamer, but also living with my SO and it'll be the only tv for a little while, so the second screen feature (allowing me to play games on the tv with her watching tv on the ipad) would be nice.

Any thoughts?

Will xpost in the w900 thread.
Tj Werner likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3332 of 3705 Old 06-23-2013, 11:51 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutwolf View Post

So, I'm torn between the f8000/7500 and the sony W900A..
Same here. I'd rather get the F8000 or 7500, but the input lag is really a deal breaker for me. I think everyone that has an issue with this should contact Samsung about it. I think it has to be possible for them to bring down the input lag to acceptable levels.
post #3333 of 3705 Old 06-23-2013, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 37
If I knew Sony was going to drop the price of the W900A so damn fast and have such low input lag, I would have waited and gone that route. I jumped the gun during my hunt for an HDTV.

If Samsung can reduce the input lag on the F8000, it will be far more competitive. I'm sure they can do it, but I wouldn't be surprised if they save that for next year's Evolution Kit. "Buy the Kit! Improved input lag! Better picture!"

I'm now thinking about getting a plasma for gaming, likely the Samsung F5500. We were going to get a more affordable second TV anyway, and the plasma won't invalidate the F8000. The LED can stay in bright rooms for TV viewing or when I don't want to watch a movie in the dark, and its 3D is bright, too. The plasma can be in my shadowed man cave for playing games in my underwear. smile.gif
post #3334 of 3705 Old 06-26-2013, 12:48 PM

Thanks for the link Steve and other comments on the potential scam. Who woulda thought you could count on the kindness of anonymous strangers on the internet?!? I cancelled my order and now I'm going to work with my CC company on getting back my money for shipping the seller is trying to stick me with.

At any rate, there was a very happy ending. If you happen to live on the west coast near a Paul's TV, I highly recommend checking them out. Walked in Friday night, and spoke with a great guy (wearing a Samsung shirt) who was ISF certified and really knew the F8000 product very well. He price-matched my online order, covered the CA sales tax, threw in a free Samsung BT keyboard, and even provided free next-day delivery and I got my 65" F8000 the next afternoon. They also assured me that if there are any problems I can call them and they will replace it, no problems. Glad I dropped in and I'm blown away by the picture compared to my UN60D8000 that I sold to a friend.

TV PQ and features are better than I expected. My brother is a huge Sony fan and has the 55" HX929 that he brags on, he did his best to not be impressed, but finally relented that he may have to defect to Samsung on his next purchase.

Not sure what games you guys play, but I'm an heavy gamer (Xbox, PS3, PC, etc.) and the input lag isn't all that noticeable for me. I'm not into highly competitive FPS like CoD granted, but on the average action game I'm not having any issues that are deal breakers.
post #3335 of 3705 Old 06-28-2013, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Hi Kaitlyn ,

It takes forever ?

Sorry , but I am not sure what you mean. I turn mine on and after the red light on the lower right side flashes about 5 or 6 times , I get a picture and about 15 seconds after that I get a "logged in" message at the top of the screen.

So all total it is about 20 ~ 25 seconds from off to logged in.

I hope this helps.

Take care smile.gif

Gary 
post #3336 of 3705 Old 06-28-2013, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

O___ BTW , my old XBR will take about twenty minutes for the panel to get up to a stable operating temp. for the best picture. ( white balance ).

Me 
post #3337 of 3705 Old 06-29-2013, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by t3t5u0 View Post

Thanks for the link Steve and other comments on the potential scam. Who woulda thought you could count on the kindness of anonymous strangers on the internet?!? I cancelled my order and now I'm going to work with my CC company on getting back my money for shipping the seller is trying to stick me with.

At any rate, there was a very happy ending. If you happen to live on the west coast near a Paul's TV, I highly recommend checking them out. Walked in Friday night, and spoke with a great guy (wearing a Samsung shirt) who was ISF certified and really knew the F8000 product very well. He price-matched my online order, covered the CA sales tax, threw in a free Samsung BT keyboard, and even provided free next-day delivery and I got my 65" F8000 the next afternoon. They also assured me that if there are any problems I can call them and they will replace it, no problems. Glad I dropped in and I'm blown away by the picture compared to my UN60D8000 that I sold to a friend.

TV PQ and features are better than I expected. My brother is a huge Sony fan and has the 55" HX929 that he brags on, he did his best to not be impressed, but finally relented that he may have to defect to Samsung on his next purchase.

Not sure what games you guys play, but I'm an heavy gamer (Xbox, PS3, PC, etc.) and the input lag isn't all that noticeable for me. I'm not into highly competitive FPS like CoD granted, but on the average action game I'm not having any issues that are deal breakers.

What was the price they matched and where did you get the online price? What Paul's location?

thanks
post #3338 of 3705 Old 07-01-2013, 12:38 PM

Liked: 20
Quote from Samsung Email... "To all Samsung Smart Hub users,

This email is to inform you that on Tuesday, July 2nd, the Smart Hub service will be down temporarily for scheduled maintenance. The service is scheduled to be down between 12:00 AM EDT and 10:00 AM EDT. We expect normal operation to resume after this time.

If Smart Hub is launched between 12:00 AM EDT and 10:00 AM EDT, you may receive an on-screen popup message informing you of the outage; however, some users may not see a message at all, and will not be able to access Smart Hub. Rest assured, this is still part of the scheduled maintenance outage, and we expect all users to have functionality restored after 10:00 AM EDT.

We thank you for your patience during this upgrade.

Samsung Online Support Team"
jedi29 likes this.

OLED Panels/ 4K Ultra HD TV... Redefining an Imperfect World

post #3339 of 3705 Old 07-15-2013, 02:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Can any of the forum members let me have some input please ?

I am in the market for a new panel and have the following choices at my price level :
Samsung 75" F8000;
Sony 65" 4k X900

Aware there is no 4k content around , however upscaling by the Sony is believed to be superb for HD sources ex BluRay as well as digital satellite feeds .

Bit confused as to which one to go for ?
post #3340 of 3705 Old 07-15-2013, 02:34 AM

Liked: 37
Even at that size, you shouldn't see much difference between 4K content and 1080p if you're sitting at couch distance. Upscaling could be superior, but you're paying a huge premium for a 4K set without much content for it. I wouldn't expect quick adoption, either. That's a lot of years away.

I would just go for a 1080p set personally, then save the big bucks for when they solve the manufacturing issues with OLED and start shipping those.
Alsof1 likes this.
post #3341 of 3705 Old 07-15-2013, 08:30 AM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alsof1 View Post

Can any of the forum members let me have some input please ?

I am in the market for a new panel and have the following choices at my price level :
Samsung 75" F8000;
Sony 65" 4k X900

Aware there is no 4k content around , however upscaling by the Sony is believed to be superb for HD sources ex BluRay as well as digital satellite feeds .

Bit confused as to which one to go for ?

If possible, find a store that has both on display and compare them. Bring a blu-ray with you. Stand at what ever distance your seat is from the screen at home and see if you can see a difference.
I did just that. At 10' I could not see any improvement with the 4k upscaling Sony vs the UN75F000. Both top of the line units. What I did get was more immersed in the 75" screen. 4k lets you sit closer to the screen. Where did I see an improvemen with the sony 65" is when I was standing 5' from the screen. Who's gonna sit that close?
Franklights likes this.

Anthem D2v, McIntosh MC205, Elite PRO-70X5FD, Oppo BDP-103, Dish hopper, Richard Gray Power Company 400S, B&W Nautilus, JL audio Fathom f113, Harmony One, empty wallet ;>)
post #3342 of 3705 Old 07-15-2013, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bekindrewind View Post

If possible, find a store that has both on display and compare them. Bring a blu-ray with you. Stand at what ever distance your seat is from the screen at home and see if you can see a difference.
I did just that. At 10' I could not see any improvement with the 4k upscaling Sony vs the UN75F000. Both top of the line units. What I did get was more immersed in the 75" screen. 4k lets you sit closer to the screen. Where did I see an improvemen with the sony 65" is when I was standing 5' from the screen. Who's gonna sit that close?
Thanks for the input - will do as you suggest .Sony only arriving mid August ,but will hold off until then.
post #3343 of 3705 Old 07-27-2013, 07:14 AM

Hey does anyone know why most reviews on this tv always leave smart led on standard? Why not just use it on high? What's the difference between high and standard ?
post #3344 of 3705 Old 07-27-2013, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi ,

I leave mine on "Standard" because it just looks better !! smile.gif

Not prefect , just better wink.gif

Of course you are free to try other modes , let us know how you make out .

Later , biggrin.gif

Gary 
post #3345 of 3705 Old 08-05-2013, 01:23 PM

hi, been lurking here forever. i got the 75F8000 this weekend. looks great. i was debating between the vizio M801 and the sony 65" 4K as well. the magnolia by me has the sammy 75E9000 (last year's model) and the sony 4k and when viewing the same bluray disk, the samsung looked better to my eyes. motion was smoother, less blotching. at the local costco, they had the m801, the sony 70", and the sammy 75F63000 side by side and the samsung was just brighter and clearer than the vizio. the sony and vizio were showing the same content and the sony looked better. the passive 3D on the vizio does not look as sharp as the sammy 3D. i like the idea of the passive 3D, but after viewing LG, Sony (which to my eyes had the best passive) and Vizio, the active outperform the passive. The samsung 3D has been the best I've seen so far (better than panasonic to my eyes).

also, last nite, watched Dexter on the 75F8000 then afterwards, went upstairs to watch it again on my Elite 60" PRO141FD. the contrast and darkness obviously was better on the Elite. the plasma displays a more powerful and smoother picture as many of us already agree.

i used to be picky and 'wanting' the best PQ (which is why I have the 141FD as well as the PROFHD1). though i do see clouding on the edges on black screen (when my tivo changes channels) on the sammy, it doesn't bother me as much now since i'm not watching a blank black screen. the pros of the size/brightness/PQ outweigh the cons of not having a 'large' screen TV. i was going to just go for size and get the M801, but i still have some picky-ness in me and the samsung PQ won out.

it's not a perfect TV, but my first LCD and my biggest set so far. kids love playing xbox on it. i like having a large tv in the family room. i'm not overanalyzing the TV for fear of not being able to 'unsee' things, but my conscience is clear and i have been enjoying the tv the last couple days.

i'll try posting some pics later.
post #3346 of 3705 Old 08-06-2013, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi ,

Don`t lurk , join the fun !! biggrin.gif

I have the 46" F8000 , simply because Sony did not make a 46 or 47 " XBR , if they did , I would own it instead.

The F8000 is good for what it is , a TOTL TV , with bugs eek.gif

If you have the room , take another look at the Sony 4K`s at another location , not all are created equal !!

Sony = soft picture Samsung = bright and crisp picture.

Later smile.gif

Gary 
post #3347 of 3705 Old 08-06-2013, 03:38 PM

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a brand new Samsung UN65F8000 tv from my local tv shop. It was ordered in brand new.

Firstly, I love the set and the picture quality is just amazing! However, during a movie, 3D or 2D, when the scene changes to another and there is a period of black in between I get what you see in the pic below. This also appears in the credits screen as you can see in the pictures below. From what I can tell based on my research this is called clouding or bleeding, and I shouldn't have it in such a high end flagship tv like the F8000. I have calibrated the tv with the DVE Basics bluray, this happens in all modes, playstation 3 used in the photo during a 3D movie, and I'm in movie mode with automotion plus on "clear". The latest firmware is installed (1109 I think it is).

So can someone please identify this and share your opinions on whether this is normal or not? Though the camera magnifies these lighter spots I can actively see them without trying hard during black screens. Very frustrating, and this is my first tv, switched from a plasma due to my extended periods of gaming. The store where it was purchased tells me it's "normal".

Thanks so much in advance!

Tony
post #3348 of 3705 Old 08-06-2013, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi Tony ,

Well , I have seen worst.

First I need to ask you , what is your backlight set at ? , what is your brightness set to ? also , do you have Smart LED set to ON ?

I have the 46" here are my settings , however every set is different:

Backlight = 10

Contrast = 90

Brightness = 45

Smart LED is set to ON

With those settings you will see some backlight bled , not as much as your picture shows , but you will see some.

It is and has been a known problem for LCD tv`s both CCFL and LED.

Before my F8000 , I had a Sony XBR2 and if the backlight , contrast and brightness were to high you will see some bleeding , but only during credits and black scenes is it the most notable.

What your pictures tells me is that you have your settings to high or are in the "Dynamic" picture mode , if so , tone things down within either the Standard or Movie Mode.

Best of luck , please post results , thanks.

Gary 
post #3349 of 3705 Old 08-07-2013, 06:05 AM

here are a couple pics i took of my 75F8000 last nite while the dexter re-run was on.

i perceive the darks not as good as on my Elite, but once i stop looking for problems and start watching and enjoying the show, the TV immerses you.

post #3350 of 3705 Old 08-07-2013, 07:02 AM

I'm seriously considering this TV and wondering if someone who has the 75F8000 could help me out with a measurement?

From the back of the TV (excluding the stand) draw a parallel line to the ground until it reaches the frontmost part of the stand. How long is that line? I've included a picture that may show that better.

I'm trying to see if the TV would fit into a AV cabinet and bridge that we have.

TIA.

smile.gif
post #3351 of 3705 Old 08-07-2013, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreem85 View Post

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a brand new Samsung UN65F8000 tv from my local tv shop. It was ordered in brand new.

Firstly, I love the set and the picture quality is just amazing! However, during a movie, 3D or 2D, when the scene changes to another and there is a period of black in between I get what you see in the pic below. This also appears in the credits screen as you can see in the pictures below. From what I can tell based on my research this is called clouding or bleeding, and I shouldn't have it in such a high end flagship tv like the F8000. I have calibrated the tv with the DVE Basics bluray, this happens in all modes, playstation 3 used in the photo during a 3D movie, and I'm in movie mode with automotion plus on "clear". The latest firmware is installed (1109 I think it is).

So can someone please identify this and share your opinions on whether this is normal or not? Though the camera magnifies these lighter spots I can actively see them without trying hard during black screens. Very frustrating, and this is my first tv, switched from a plasma due to my extended periods of gaming. The store where it was purchased tells me it's "normal".

Thanks so much in advance!

Tony

Hi Tony,

Try using the setting Buzz offers. You'll find them on the 1st page of this forum.
Another option is to post what ALL your settings are and we might be able to tell you where the problem lies.
Most likely it's your settings. One you try buzz's and found that did not help, and we've looked at what you chose to use as settings, it may turn out you have a defective tv.
Let us know what you find.
Cheers,
bekindrewind

Anthem D2v, McIntosh MC205, Elite PRO-70X5FD, Oppo BDP-103, Dish hopper, Richard Gray Power Company 400S, B&W Nautilus, JL audio Fathom f113, Harmony One, empty wallet ;>)
post #3352 of 3705 Old 08-09-2013, 07:16 PM

Hi everyone,

I am a newbie with Samsung TVs, and was wondering how can I enter the service menu with the Smart Touch remote?
This is because I want to check and see how many hours the TV has been on since day 1, not to change any of the settings.
And is entering the service menu risky? Even though I am just entering to see some info and exiting right after?

Thank you in advance!!!
post #3353 of 3705 Old 08-12-2013, 03:24 PM

I have the 75" f8000 and really like the set however Im torn between the size of the 75"f8000 or the 4k aspect of the 65"f9000.

I only have 3 days to decide to trade it in and I wont have another 7000 anytime soon so this will be the TV I have for many many years and Im thinking I should go 4k while I can or I could regret it in the near future.
post #3354 of 3705 Old 08-12-2013, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

If you are satisfied with your F8000 , I say "keep it" !

Here is why :

4K broadcasting , many years away , sure you might have heard just around the corner , but it is not.

4K Blue-Ray , yes that is happening , along with the PS4 , and it too will be 4K ready wink.gif

Still , broadcast is the key to a winning format , look at BD`s and the way broadcasters scrambled to Hi Def wink.gif

They just did that yesterday , in broadcast buying terms , so they will not be doing 4K any time soon.

Save some coin , rainy days ( and snowy ones) may lay in wait .

I used to be an early adopter , had the LD`s and the AC3-LD`s , but all long gone , money wasted eek.gif

If the F8000 is letting you get a good nights sleep , keep it and be grateful you have a good one !

Best of luck smile.gif

Later ,

Gary 
post #3355 of 3705 Old 08-14-2013, 12:06 PM

I would strongly suggest people try the F8000 before buying it but I appreciate that it's almost impossible to get a proper test of TVs in stores and I based my buying decision off reviews and bought online. I dropped the Panasonic t20 for one and regretted it and now I'm trying to sell the F8000 off.

For a start the input lag is pretty jaring for anyone using it as a pc display with mouse movement being uncomfortably rough to judge. Not noticable for PS3 games but the PC is not good.
The anti-glare(if there is any) is bad. Far too easy to see yourself in the screen when it goes dark.
Judder and blur reduction is impossible to manage in my experience, one minute you think the settings have it sorted and then another game looks better when you switch it off.
Heavy static in the headphone socket possibly just my set but I doubt it. Had to replace the set which is currently unopened and ready to be sold.
Clouding in the corners which I was led to believe from reviews was eliminated is clearly visible.
Compared to the plasma the general motion in scenes is rougher on the eyes and black contrast not nearly as good.

Positive are: it looks great on the stand, the 3d conversion is brilliant and well bright, the static picture can look very good, brighter than the plasma but not worth the price tag just for that, low power drain possibly 3 times less than plasma,on full power.

What I've come to appreciate is that no tv has it all but the plasma only lacks brightness to make it far superior provided you avoid leaving static pictures on for too long to avoid burn-in.
post #3356 of 3705 Old 08-16-2013, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

That is weird , "AG" has stated the same about the lag when using a PC , and the cursor being shaky , I have a Mac Mini and have not noticed any difference from using my MacBook Pro , it is that smooth.

Could it be a PC only issue ?

I have very accurate cursor movement and mine is set to almost the fastest setting !

Best of luck smile.gif

Later ,

Me 
post #3357 of 3705 Old 08-17-2013, 07:42 AM

I had the Dell 24'' and F8000 running 2 screens off the PC with same 1080p resolution and the difference was clear to see. The mouse movement felt perfect moving onto the Dell and if you moved a window between the two screen with half in each and moved it up and down fast you could see the lag difference. It didn't look like much but it's enough to make your brain go "wtf?". Playing strategy games like Wargame:Airland Battle the mouse movement feels heavy and laborious with the F8000, definetly not something you want when in multiplayer matches.

Your Mac Pro mouse must be set to a lower speed I'm guessing. Raise the speed and you'll see the F8000 just can't handle it.
post #3358 of 3705 Old 08-18-2013, 05:48 AM

Where can I find a good wall mount bracket that would work on the F8000 75" flat? Looking for suggestions from those who mounted yours and also how high you placed it above the floor?
post #3359 of 3705 Old 08-18-2013, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post

Where can I find a good wall mount bracket that would work on the F8000 75" flat? Looking for suggestions from those who mounted yours and also how high you placed it above the floor?

www.monoprice.com

post #3360 of 3705 Old 08-18-2013, 06:57 PM

Looks like the game lag has been fixed...cant wait to get home and try it out.

And a price drop!!!!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Led Hdtv , Sony Bravia Xbr65hx929 65 Inch 1080p 3d Local Dimming Led Hdtv With Built In Wifi Black , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung 55 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv Un55f8000
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page