Samsung F8000 -- 2013 Flagship Models - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 3703 Old 03-06-2013, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
What's this about the f8000 not having the usual "pop" Samsung is somewhat known for? I can't speak for all 'em but the HX950's main complaint (for me and a few others) was there was no pop in the picture when watching cable/sat content. That kinda stinks if this is true and I might look else where for a new set. Any idea on when stores will have 'em up on display?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 3703 Old 03-06-2013, 10:35 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmay91472 View Post

May 2013

Are you certain it's may 2013? I'm going to need a new tv by April as i'm giving away my current tv to a family member at the end of March... 2 months with no main tv is going to suck. Do you know if the UN60F8000 is released at the same time?

for those looking at the 55" looks like BuyDig has them in stock too
post #813 of 3703 Old 03-06-2013, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

Well let's be fair, they said the Sony has a 'more subtle touch' at digging out shadow detail. Doesn't sound like a big difference at all. It's clear they thought the black levels were definitely better than the Sony.

Also, many thought the 850 was at least 90% of the 950, so it's not all that odd of a comparison.

They also never called the stand flimsy. They simply said because it is so wide, it doesn't fit their shelves. Obviously no matter how good a TV stand is, if it extends off the edges of the shelf you're mounting it on, it will be unstable. That has zero to do with the quality of the stand, simply its width.

There's no getting around this was a very favorable review.

"Indeed, the stand hung over the edges of all the racks we use in our testing rooms – which leaves it prone to tilting forward if there’s the slightest push. Even if the support under the stand is wide enough, this is still a less-rigid design than used in 2012."

Sounds pretty flimsy to me. They specifically say even if the stand is wide enough, it's still less-rigid than last year. And it most certainly has something to do with the design of the stand if the stand is designed in such a way that it is wider than every other stand made, and wider than most AV racks are. Clearly this is a very bizarre design for a stand.
post #814 of 3703 Old 03-06-2013, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Sullins View Post

What's this about the f8000 not having the usual "pop" Samsung is somewhat known for? I can't speak for all 'em but the HX950's main complaint (for me and a few others) was there was no pop in the picture when watching cable/sat content. That kinda stinks if this is true and I might look else where for a new set. Any idea on when stores will have 'em up on display?

I wouldn't be the least bit concerned over that statement. He was referring to the out-of-the-box settings. Also, this review seems somewhat questionable to me, considering they favor natural mode for blu-rays. If natural mode is anything like last years' natural mode, this should immediately invalidate the entire review. There was no calibration information posted, no analyzing motion or other image characteristics, nothing. I really wouldn't be too concerned with this review. The only thing I think we can take away from this review is that the stand is going to be an issue for some people. I knew that as soon as I saw the first pictures of the set.
post #815 of 3703 Old 03-06-2013, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post

I agree with you 100%. Making the stand as wide as the TV is just plain stupid. That being said, I have an 82" Haven on order from Standout Designs. I specifically went with this model so that I'll be covered in the future for any panel up to 90". It's also one of the few super wide stands available that can accommodate a really large center channel speaker.

It looks like they sacrificed the swivel feature on the 7500 this year too. Last year the 7500 had a swivel stand. The stand was boring but very functional. I used the swivel feature often for when I sat at my pc desk and wanted to see the tv better. But it seems Samsung can't think of how different people view their sets. They seem to think that people just sit head-on to view these sets and never move anywhere else in the room, like people don't have a couch in one corner and a chair in the other. Very narrow thinking in this regard. This year the 7500 stand looks interesting, but I can't see how that design would allow it to swivel. At least the 7500 has a stand that will fit a normal AV rack. Why couldn't they just use that same stand for the 8000? They just had to make the 8000 stand out more. They always pull these goofy moves. Some people will want the 8000 but the stand may very well land them at the 7500 instead.
post #816 of 3703 Old 03-06-2013, 10:52 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 View Post

It looks like they sacrificed the swivel feature on the 7500 this year too. Last year the 7500 had a swivel stand. The stand was boring but very functional. I used the swivel feature often for when I sat at my pc desk and wanted to see the tv better. But it seems Samsung can't think of how different people view their sets. They seem to think that people just sit head-on to view these sets and never move anywhere else in the room, like people don't have a couch in one corner and a chair in the other. Very narrow thinking in this regard. This year the 7500 stand looks interesting, but I can't see how that design would allow it to swivel. At least the 7500 has a stand that will fit a normal AV rack. Why couldn't they just use that same stand for the 8000? They just had to make the 8000 stand out more.

We get it...you don't like the stand biggrin.gif

Energy RC-70s (2) | Energy RC-LCR | Energy CB-5s (4) | SVS PB-2000 | Pioneer VSX-1020K | Samsung UN65F8000 | PS3 | PS4 | Apple TV (2nd gen) | DirecTV HR34 HMC | Harmony Ultimate
post #817 of 3703 Old 03-06-2013, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinLH00 View Post

The F8000's and F7500's stands are waaaay better than the silver chicken-foot.

It time for Samsung to consider "normal" looking and functional stands as options - the same way cars have optional features.
post #818 of 3703 Old 03-06-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratesCove View Post

The F8000's and F7500's stands are waaaay better than the silver chicken-foot.

It time for Samsung to consider "normal" looking and functional stands as options - the same way cars have optional features.

I agree. I didn't like the chicken foot look either. I did like the look of the ES8000 stands. I know someone said they were able to order the square stand and replace the chicken foot one. Do they not allow that for the newer models?

Energy RC-70s (2) | Energy RC-LCR | Energy CB-5s (4) | SVS PB-2000 | Pioneer VSX-1020K | Samsung UN65F8000 | PS3 | PS4 | Apple TV (2nd gen) | DirecTV HR34 HMC | Harmony Ultimate
post #819 of 3703 Old 03-06-2013, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Can someone please post a photo, or a link to a photo of the "chicken foot" stand? Thanks.
post #820 of 3703 Old 03-06-2013, 12:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 563
Quote:

"Indeed, the stand hung over the edges of all the racks we use in our testing rooms – which leaves it prone to tilting forward if there’s the slightest push. Even if the support under the stand is wide enough, this is still a less-rigid design than used in 2012."

Sounds pretty flimsy to me. They specifically say even if the stand is wide enough, it's still less-rigid than last year. And it most certainly has something to do with the design of the stand if the stand is designed in such a way that it is wider than every other stand made, and wider than most AV racks are. Clearly this is a very bizarre design for a stand.

You're equating 'less rigid' with 'flimsy' and we don't know that's true.
post #821 of 3703 Old 03-06-2013, 12:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Ya think? wink.gif

I'm actually more concerned about the PQ. If that's not up to snuff, I don't need to worry about the stand. smile.gif
post #822 of 3703 Old 03-06-2013, 12:12 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post

Can someone please post a photo, or a link to a photo of the "chicken foot" stand? Thanks.

post #823 of 3703 Old 03-06-2013, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, TristianX!

I agree. That stand is fugly! tongue.gif The new F8000 stand is gorgeous. I just hope they didn't sacrifice usability for looks.
post #824 of 3703 Old 03-06-2013, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 313
Quote:

I wouldn't be the least bit concerned over that statement. He was referring to the out-of-the-box settings. Also, this review seems somewhat questionable to me, considering they favor natural mode for blu-rays. If natural mode is anything like last years' natural mode, this should immediately invalidate the entire review. There was no calibration information posted, no analyzing motion or other image characteristics, nothing. I really wouldn't be too concerned with this review. The only thing I think we can take away from this review is that the stand is going to be an issue for some people. I knew that as soon as I saw the first pictures of the set.

+1

clearly clueless reviewer.
post #825 of 3703 Old 03-06-2013, 02:32 PM

Liked: 11
Got a 55F8000 at work today(Best Buy), the look of the tv is nice. I like the new stand although it does seem a little unstable. Picture quality is good, better then the ES series I think. The new cinema black helps with black level, but it seems to crush blacks(tv in Movie mode) a good amount. Motion seemed better but still not great. I'm more of a plasma fan myself but overall not a bad tv. I do think the new Smart Tv functionality was much improved, much more smooth and detailed.
post #826 of 3703 Old 03-06-2013, 02:45 PM

TristianX, I'm in a similar boat! I need a new TV in April, and even if the 65" drops in May, do I want to risk being the first guy to buy a first run unit, still warm from the assembler?

Here's what I think I'm going to do: I'm building my basement, expected to be completed in late April. I need a TV in there as soon as its done. So instead of buying an 0'12 ES with the EK or something hasty, I'm going to go to one of those Rent-to-Own places and rent a 60" Sony HDTV in its place. They run about $35/week. I can blow $140 for a month of use, still fill the space while the new Samsungs, Sony's or any other worthy competitor ships. It might also give some guys time for a comparison test or two. And the bonus will be (better be!), the new TV will be compared to a sub-par rental, blowing away all expectations!eek.gif
TristianX likes this.
post #827 of 3703 Old 03-06-2013, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu02wrx View Post

Got a 55F8000 at work today(Best Buy), the look of the tv is nice. I like the new stand although it does seem a little unstable. Picture quality is good, better then the ES series I think. The new cinema black helps with black level, but it seems to crush blacks(tv in Movie mode) a good amount. Motion seemed better but still not great. I'm more of a plasma fan myself but overall not a bad tv. I do think the new Smart Tv functionality was much improved, much more smooth and detailed.

Any edge light bleed?

TC-P65VT50
Marantz NR1403
Bose Acoustimass 10
Panasonic BDT220 Blu Ray Player
post #828 of 3703 Old 03-06-2013, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I agree. I didn't like the chicken foot look either. I did like the look of the ES8000 stands. I know someone said they were able to order the square stand and replace the chicken foot one. Do they not allow that for the newer models?

+1, I am the person that has a Square D series Square stand on my ES7100.
post #829 of 3703 Old 03-06-2013, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratesCove View Post

+1, I am the person that has a Square D series Square stand on my ES7100.

Thanks for coming forward again, lol.

post #830 of 3703 Old 03-06-2013, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I just checked BB Site and a few other retailers in my area and they don't know when the F8000 will arrive let alone have one in store. I'm not calling BS but where did you snag one up so quickly? If you did get one today why don't you do everyone a favor and answer some questions:

How's screen uniformity? What panel is it? What do the blacks look like out of Movie Mode? Why does the motion resolution not seem better? What AMP Setting do you have it on? Any edge-bleed or flashlighting?
post #831 of 3703 Old 03-06-2013, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Uniformity was about the same as last years, with some brighter spots in some areas, although light bleed seemed a lot less noticeable. Motion was weird, on all settings but off the picture just didn't look right. There was a new setting in the motion setting area of the tv, can't remember what is was but it seemed to help. We put in the new Batman movie and the scene where Bane fights Batman in the dark looked strange with Auto Motion on. Didn't really try it in dynamic too much because it always looks bad but I can say one thing, it was crazy too bright haha

I only spent about an hour or so with the tv so just some small findings I noticed, will comment more when I get some more time with it

Oh and yea It did not come with a standard remote
post #832 of 3703 Old 03-06-2013, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
post #833 of 3703 Old 03-06-2013, 04:11 PM

Well I just walked into work and it was sitting there, a pleasant surprise haha. To be honest I was told it wasn't out until the 24th but there it was. We have a bunch of new tvs from lg, sharp and Samsung but the F8000 was the only one we opened. I work on Long Island
post #834 of 3703 Old 03-06-2013, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Uniformity was about the same as last years, with some brighter spots in some areas, although light bleed seemed a lot less noticeable. Motion was weird, on all settings but off the picture just didn't look right. There was a new setting in the motion setting area of the tv, can't remember what is was but it seemed to help. We put in the new Batman movie and the scene where Bane fights Batman in the dark looked strange with Auto Motion on. Didn't really try it in dynamic too much because it always looks bad but I can say one thing, it was crazy too bright haha

I only spent about an hour or so with the tv so just some small findings I noticed, will comment more when I get some more time with it

Oh and yea It did not come with a standard remote

That's a real bummer about the unifromity. I know no tv is perfect in that area unless it's a plasma or local dimmer but some people were under the assumption that there were no uniformity issues on the F8000 that plagued the es8000. I believe Robert Zohn stated that at CES. I guess he was looking at the prototype. BTW, what panel version is it? Should say on back of tv or side of box under model #.
post #835 of 3703 Old 03-06-2013, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
Quote:

That's a real bummer about the unifromity. I know no tv is perfect in that area unless it's a plasma or local dimmer but some people were under the assumption that there were no uniformity issues on the F8000 that plagued the es8000. I believe Robert Zohn stated that at CES. I guess he was looking at the prototype. BTW, what panel version is it? Should say on back of tv or side of box under model #.

Justin, do you think you will get one is these? Or are you taking a step back to breathe after trying the hx950 and es8000.
post #836 of 3703 Old 03-06-2013, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmay91472 View Post

Justin, do you think you will get one is these? Or are you taking a step back to breathe after trying the hx950 and es8000.

I'm seriously considering it but I'll wait until some reviews come out and see it in person before I pull the trigger. From what nu02wrx said about it has me reconsidering but I'll wait and see what other owners and pros say about it.
post #837 of 3703 Old 03-06-2013, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Now that these are actually starting to hit stores, the floodgates are officially open. I expect to see a deluge of reviews and opinions over the next few days.
post #838 of 3703 Old 03-06-2013, 05:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Quote:

I just checked BB Site and a few other retailers in my area and they don't know when the F8000 will arrive let alone have one in store. I'm not calling BS but where did you snag one up so quickly? If you did get one today why don't you do everyone a favor and answer some questions:

How's screen uniformity? What panel is it? What do the blacks look like out of Movie Mode? Why does the motion resolution not seem better? What AMP Setting do you have it on? Any edge-bleed or flashlighting?
I am sure they got their unit in, we got ours.........
Quote:

I hate to say it, but edge lit technology is pretty much maxed guys, it is what it is. Screen uniformity will probably always be an issue along with the other known anomalies.......I could be wrong, but probably not. A manufacturer would have to make some amazing technology breakthrough's, but lets face it, is that not OLED ?
post #839 of 3703 Old 03-06-2013, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchman View Post

According to this, there is no mention of a standard remote...

http://g-ec2.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/electronics/Samsung/Aplus2013/F8000_Ultra_Slim_LED_SpecSheet_R14._V375347314_.pdf

That's too bad, if true. The standard remote is "King".

I had the QWERTY remote and it was very inconsistent for menu, web surfing and keyboard functions.

Not to mention issues with Bluetooth pairing.
post #840 of 3703 Old 03-06-2013, 05:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Very weird, it's not even listed on the BB site yet.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Led Hdtv , Sony Bravia Xbr65hx929 65 Inch 1080p 3d Local Dimming Led Hdtv With Built In Wifi Black , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung 55 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv Un55f8000
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page