post #2251 of 3719 Old 04-06-2013, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Horgan View Post

Heat was the killer of my es8000. The screen would look great when I first turned it on, but was a mess after an hour or so. I can certainly feel heat coming out of the vents you mentioned, but so far, I haven't noticed any degradation in picture quality. Over the next week or so, I will be watching very closely to see if I notice any heat issues. I'll let you know if I find anything.

This is exactly what I discovered on my old ES7500. When you first turned it on, the panel looked okay. After it was on for awhile, it was, like you said, a mess. Clouding, flashlighting, the dreaded "V" shape. The tech didn't think it was heat related but I was certain it was based on what I had been observing. I really hope that isn't an issue this year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2252 of 3719 Old 04-06-2013, 11:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by huddadudda View Post

So I have a choice between a used but like new Sharp Elite 60" PRO-60X5FD for $3,500 or a new 60" F8500 - which one should I get? Still leaning towards the F8500 as I like plasma but now with the Elite for that price I am tempted. Is the Elite still a better TV even after its already a couple years old? Am I crazy to pick the F8500 instead? $$ isnt the factor here I just want the best picture and don't need a "smart tv".

Not sure this thread is the appropriate place to answer this question, but here it goes anyway. I spent a good amount of time watching the 64" F8500 the other day at Abt. Unfortunately, they no longer have an Elite to compare it to, but I can say that I thought the F8500 easily had the best overall picture of any set in the store (ultra expensive 4K panels excluded). I honestly think you can't go wrong with either the F8500 or the Elite, but I personally prefer plasmas.
post #2253 of 3719 Old 04-07-2013, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Eagle2 and Frank; can you expand upon the heat issues? My es8000 was on all day yesterday and around midnight i went behind the panel: the only heated area is just an inch or so to the right of the hdmi connection and is about a 4" square area. I would call it hot. The screen shows no uniformity issue at that location.

None of the vents were warm at the least. The bezel logo is on always when watching and not warm at all (front or back) and shows no uniformity issue above logo.

Love for all things Hi-def...Losing count; 200 plus bluray, 500 plus dvd, 30 plus HDdvd and a rapidly growing 50 plus in the cloud.

post #2254 of 3719 Old 04-07-2013, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Hi Frank,

Thanks for the added info about the F8000.

Were it has a plastic back and not metal , maybe the heat build up will not be as bad.
I truly hope that will be the case.

Looking forward to hearing more of your comments about your new Sammy , I hope your reports are positive ones.

Only 15 day return policy for BB on TV`s , I thought it was 30.

Thanks for the heads up , I think it takes longer than 15 days to properly evaluate a TV.

Crutchfield gives 60 days , but if you return it , you must pay for freight cost both ways.
And they do use freight , not UPS , even though it could easily be shipped UPS.

Amazon , they still have a return policy of 30 days ? That is were I bought the LG 46LM8600 that I had issues with and had to return last year. Geez , I`ll have to check out Amazon again.
When I had to return the LG , Amazon arranged pick-up and did not deduct and shipping cost from my refund. The LG was shipped UPS , and was pleased with the delivery , but not the TV.

So , if Amazon , still has a 30 day return policy , and everything is the same as last year , then maybe that would be the best place to buy one.

I was looking to BB simply because of my Reward Zone points , but points be damned if they only give you 15 days to check it out.

All my best to you and thanks again for all your info ! smile.gif

Please post more when you can , no rush wink.gif , as I know it takes awhile to do a proper evaluation.

Later biggrin.gif

Gary 
post #2255 of 3719 Old 04-07-2013, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 View Post

I'm a silver member with Best Buy otherwise I think I would be very hesitant to buy a tv from them with only 15 days return policy. I have a gift card but I could always sell it if I had to. Since I'm a silver member I still have 60 days.

How exactly does silver status work? I see on Best Buy's website that you need to spend $2,500 in a single calendar year. Does this give you silver status for life, or only for that year?
post #2256 of 3719 Old 04-07-2013, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

I am not positive , but I believe it is 2500.00 per calendar year.

I would agree that in should be a life time deal , but if they are only allowing a 15 day return policy then I can only assume that you would have to purchase 2500 per year.

Last year ( 2012 ) I had to return a couple of notebooks that were close to the 30 day mark , and received a full refund.

Then I bought a Toshiba laptop , and after 6 weeks the motherboard fried and would no longer boot ( I even changed HDD ) , so I brought it back , and after they heard my side and I heard theres , I ended up with a store credit for the full amount paid for the defective Toshiba LT.

I was lucky , they did not have to do anything.

Later , ( Dec. 15 to be exact ) , I used that store credit to buy a new MacBook Pro / Retina 15".

Like I said , I was lucky.

I have since checked my "Reward Zone" status and it states I must spend over 2K to get the "Silver" status { plan }. So if I would have bought my MBP-R a few weeks later , I would have been close. But where it states that I must spend the amount mentioned , I think it runs 1st of Jan to 31st of Dec.

Later ,

Me 
post #2257 of 3719 Old 04-07-2013, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladerunner1959 View Post

Eagle2 and Frank; can you expand upon the heat issues? My es8000 was on all day yesterday and around midnight i went behind the panel: the only heated area is just an inch or so to the right of the hdmi connection and is about a 4" square area. I would call it hot. The screen shows no uniformity issue at that location.

None of the vents were warm at the least. The bezel logo is on always when watching and not warm at all (front or back) and shows no uniformity issue above logo.

Well I'm no expert of course, but what I started to notice is that every time I first turned on my set , the panel looked okay - even when the tech was here. The "V" wasn't visible right away, and clouding didn't seem too bad at all. Later in the evening, suddenly I was seeing the "V" and clouding all over the screen. It wasn't just what I was watching for content that made it more obvious, because it was consistent. Always after the set was on for a while, then the "V" started to become much mode noticeable. When the tech replaced some parts, he turned the set on afterwards, and it had not been on yet that morning. The panel looked good to him afterwards, and I couldn't see any clouding or "V". Then that evening, I turned the set on to look more closely for that "V". I thought for sure it was somehow fixed by some miracle. Then after about an hour of watching tv, suddenly, there it was. Just like always.

So it really seemed to me that the set being on for a while was consistent with the "V" appearing. And to me that seemed like a heat issue. The set got warm but I never thought it got that hot. But I really think the heat had something to do with it. I'm not sure how the heat can affect clouding, but it really seemed to be linked together.

I hope these new sets don't have any problems like that.
post #2258 of 3719 Old 04-07-2013, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi29 View Post

Hi Frank,

Thanks for the added info about the F8000.

Were it has a plastic back and not metal , maybe the heat build up will not be as bad.
I truly hope that will be the case.

Later biggrin.gif

Gary 

I was under the impression that metal helped draw heat away, and plastic trapped in heat, but I guess metal can also cause hot spots. With hard drive enclosures, metal cases are good, but I guess this is rather different.
post #2259 of 3719 Old 04-07-2013, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post

How exactly does silver status work? I see on Best Buy's website that you need to spend $2,500 in a single calendar year. Does this give you silver status for life, or only for that year?

Yeah, I believe it's only for like a year. Then you lose silver status. The one thing that's invaluable at this point in for regular shoppers now, the return policy is 15 days. For silver members, it's 60. Unfortunately, buying the tv now as a non-silver member doesn't make you a silver member immediately - so the purchase of the set doesn't qualify you for the 60-day return policy - you have to be a silver member at the time of purchase.

I just read on a forum the other day it seems that Best Buy is maybe making some changes to how things work, so that people also have the choice of buying a premium membership, as an alternative to hitting the $2,500 to qualify. I have no idea what it's all about really. I saw images of "Gold", "Elite", and "Consierge" memberships. I have no idea where those images came from though. I don't know what they're planning honestly. It might be wise to buy a set sooner rather than later if possible, if they're a silver member, before they change the return policy for them too.
post #2260 of 3719 Old 04-07-2013, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 View Post

Yeah, I believe it's only for like a year. Then you lose silver status. The one thing that's invaluable at this point in for regular shoppers now, the return policy is 15 days. For silver members, it's 60. Unfortunately, buying the tv now as a non-silver member doesn't make you a silver member immediately - so the purchase of the set doesn't qualify you for the 60-day return policy - you have to be a silver member at the time of purchase.

I just read on a forum the other day it seems that Best Buy is maybe making some changes to how things work, so that people also have the choice of buying a premium membership, as an alternative to hitting the $2,500 to qualify. I have no idea what it's all about really. I saw images of "Gold", "Elite", and "Consierge" memberships. I have no idea where those images came from though. I don't know what they're planning honestly. It might be wise to buy a set sooner rather than later if possible, if they're a silver member, before they change the return policy for them too.

YMMV with this as I along with a few others Became silver status members with the purchase of a TV over $2500 and was able to have the 60 day window. This may not be their "official" policy, but just wanted to mention that isnt always the case.

I actually retained silver status for a yr even thouh the set was returned.

TC-P65VT50
Marantz NR1403
Bose Acoustimass 10
Panasonic BDT220 Blu Ray Player
post #2261 of 3719 Old 04-07-2013, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 122
I saw the UN55F7500 today right above a UN55F8000 at Brandsmart USA.

The feed signal was pretty bad, but the Picture Quality looked identical.

The F7500 also has the Quad-Processor and the camera.

Other than its design, I have to wonder if the F7500 is that different from the F8000.
post #2262 of 3719 Old 04-07-2013, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi "eagle2" ,

It is my understanding that a polymer will dissipate heat faster than metal . although there are many factors that go into play such as overall design.

When I was trying out that LG / 46LM8600 last year , the back was metal , after I had set the white balance , I noticed changes after a few hours.

At first I thought it was normal break-in , but after a week or so went by , and after readjusting , I started to notice the picture was A-OK when the set was first turned on for the day , but after a few hours of being on and heating up the white balance fell off.

I would turn it off and after it cooled down , turn back on and the picture was good , until it got hot.

And I mean HOT !! I bet you could have fried an egg on the back of that sucker !! LOL

Getting back to the BB issue , if there is a way to " buy your way in" to the Silver , it might payoff .
I was reading some of the perks and one is ISF Calibration , free , when you by a new tv from them. Not sure how good it would be , and I`m not sure I would want them to adjust my set , but it is there. I would be mainly interested in the 60 day return policy.

Like I said , 15 days is just not enough time to check out a tv. If you are a casual tv viewer , then maybe , but if you are hard core users like the folks who post here , then no way is 15 days enough time !! wink.gif

Later smile.gif

G. 
post #2263 of 3719 Old 04-07-2013, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

i am a Best Buy premier silver member its been a couple years since i spent near 2000. I dont know for sure but i think once you hit silver status it stays that way going forward.

Love for all things Hi-def...Losing count; 200 plus bluray, 500 plus dvd, 30 plus HDdvd and a rapidly growing 50 plus in the cloud.

post #2264 of 3719 Old 04-07-2013, 07:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:

i am a Best Buy premier silver member its been a couple years since i spent near 2000. I dont know for sure but i think once you hit silver status it stays that way going forward.

Sorry, it does not.

Because of my spending through 2011, I was a Silver member through 2012 and by February 2013, I had not purchased $2500. So, I am now a regular member with no perks.

8.3 Surround, protected by APC H15 & UPS BC750G
Speakers: SpeakerCraft: 6 AIM8 Fives & 2 TIME Fives used as Wides
Woofers: SVS PB13-Ultra (1), HSU MBM-12 MK2 (2)
Samsung PN64F8500
Oppo 93, Denon 4311CI, Harmony 1100, 9 Noctua cooling fans, Darbee Darblet
post #2265 of 3719 Old 04-07-2013, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I was givin Silver status 2 yrs ago when I bought my 55D8000 last year I bought an IPad and retained silver status, bought a 40ES6500 and a blue ray player yesterday and my receipt showed a extension of silver status. So I think as long as you make regular purchases you will remain silver regardless of amounts
post #2266 of 3719 Old 04-07-2013, 08:37 PM

Liked: 27
I spent well above 2500 in 2010. I also hit above in 2011. I did not spend 2500 in 2012 and now in 2013, I lost it.

Not to worry, I just gave them my close friend's phone number and purchased it under his membership...who cares if he gets the points. I'm just happy to know I have the 60 day window.

I have read to get their free calibration its a PITA. Anyone have some POC info on who to contact over this? I may have to have my friend call the silver membership line. I assume having an actual person calibrate your set vs using someone elses settings from their calibrator would be better...as set colors may vary.
post #2267 of 3719 Old 04-07-2013, 09:38 PM

Liked: 10
I'm a 55F8000 owner. Yeah, the flashlighting is pretty bad even with backlight at 8 and using movie mode with brightness at 30 and the room biased a bit with track lights on the wall behind (not on) the screen. In general, there are blotches and lines of brighter areas on a dark screen. I know, really, who cares because that's not what I'm watching, but when I do show photography to clients (I'm a pro photographer with this screen in my studio), it does show false bright areas on a dark scene with bright solid objects (wedding rings on dark background). Q: Can a calibration take care of this??? I now have BestBuy silver status from my Magnolia AV purchase so that's the "pro" calibration I'm getting for free.

I also own a Samsung 27" Series 9 factory-hardware-calibrated monitor that, when I engage that factory ICC profile, does clear up uneven backlighting so I'm hopeful it can be calibrated out.
post #2268 of 3719 Old 04-07-2013, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

JimShaw, i've been a rewards member for probably a decade and silver at least 2 to 3 years...and haven't spent 2000+ at BB in any of the past 3 to 4. My silver status was given based on older requirements i think and permanent silver may have been grandfathered in. Heck, i bought my tv at hhgreg. I bet i spend 1000 to 1500 tops there annually. 98 is my last tv purchase at BB. The next two were bought at a boutique store.

This whole discussion has me scratching my head and wondering why i even have silver. ...

post #2269 of 3719 Old 04-07-2013, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi29 View Post

Hi "eagle2" ,

It is my understanding that a polymer will dissipate heat faster than metal . although there are many factors that go into play such as overall design.

When I was trying out that LG / 46LM8600 last year , the back was metal , after I had set the white balance , I noticed changes after a few hours.

At first I thought it was normal break-in , but after a week or so went by , and after readjusting , I started to notice the picture was A-OK when the set was first turned on for the day , but after a few hours of being on and heating up the white balance fell off.

I would turn it off and after it cooled down , turn back on and the picture was good , until it got hot.

And I mean HOT !! I bet you could have fried an egg on the back of that sucker !! LOL

Getting back to the BB issue , if there is a way to " buy your way in" to the Silver , it might payoff .
I was reading some of the perks and one is ISF Calibration , free , when you by a new tv from them. Not sure how good it would be , and I`m not sure I would want them to adjust my set , but it is there. I would be mainly interested in the 60 day return policy.

Like I said , 15 days is just not enough time to check out a tv. If you are a casual tv viewer , then maybe , but if you are hard core users like the folks who post here , then no way is 15 days enough time !! wink.gif

Later smile.gif

G. 

Yes, I remember hearing some comments about that very issue you mentioned with the LG sets last year - maybe it was even you I remember reading? It was just what you described - the panel looked good when turned on, but by later in the day the white balance actually changed. That's part of what led me away from the LG models. That and some panel issues I read about.

Yeah, Best Buy wants to try and eliminate or at least reduce the number of returns obviously, probably tvs especially. But this 15 days will just keep many away I think. 15 days is a very short period of time to fully test a set, especially if you have a family, and a job, and like to sleep sometimes.
post #2270 of 3719 Old 04-07-2013, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Nope - I'm a sliver member and it ends next year.
post #2271 of 3719 Old 04-07-2013, 10:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:

JimShaw, i've been a rewards member for probably a decade and silver at least 2 to 3 years...and haven't spent 2000+ at BB in any of the past 3 to 4. My silver status was given based on older requirements i think and permanent silver may have been grandfathered in. Heck, i bought my tv at hhgreg. I bet i spend 1000 to 1500 tops there annually. 98 is my last tv purchase at BB. The next two were bought at a boutique store.

This whole discussion has me scratching my head and wondering why i even have silver. ...

I've been wondering about that myself. All my receipts identify me as "RZ Silver Reward Zone Premier Silver Member ID xxx", but it's been a long time since I spent even $1000 in a year at Best Buy. Furthermore, the last time I checked:

https://myrewardzone.bestbuy.com/

It contained a graph telling me how much more I needed to spend to reach Silver status.
post #2272 of 3719 Old 04-07-2013, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adgrimes View Post

I spent well above 2500 in 2010. I also hit above in 2011. I did not spend 2500 in 2012 and now in 2013, I lost it.

Not to worry, I just gave them my close friend's phone number and purchased it under his membership...who cares if he gets the points. I'm just happy to know I have the 60 day window.

I have read to get their free calibration its a PITA. Anyone have some POC info on who to contact over this? I may have to have my friend call the silver membership line. I assume having an actual person calibrate your set vs using someone elses settings from their calibrator would be better...as set colors may vary.

If I end up with this set - I may want the free calibration, if only just to unlock the cal day/night modes. Does anybody know if they will actually do that with their free calibration? Otherwise what's the point? And if it's a PITA, that's too bad to hear. I don't expect it's any good, but they offer it as a free benefit of silver status, so it shouldn't be a PITA.
post #2273 of 3719 Old 04-07-2013, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Hoyt View Post

I'm a 55F8000 owner. Yeah, the flashlighting is pretty bad even with backlight at 8 and using movie mode with brightness at 30 and the room biased a bit with track lights on the wall behind (not on) the screen. In general, there are blotches and lines of brighter areas on a dark screen. I know, really, who cares because that's not what I'm watching, but when I do show photography to clients (I'm a pro photographer with this screen in my studio), it does show false bright areas on a dark scene with bright solid objects (wedding rings on dark background). Q: Can a calibration take care of this??? I now have BestBuy silver status from my Magnolia AV purchase so that's the "pro" calibration I'm getting for free.

I also own a Samsung 27" Series 9 factory-hardware-calibrated monitor that, when I engage that factory ICC profile, does clear up uneven backlighting so I'm hopeful it can be calibrated out.

I'm surprised to hear about the flashlighting and maybe clouding? I was just in Sears today and looked at the F8000 up close, and the panel looked very, very uniform to me - I saw no clouding or flashlighting. I was really surprised how clean it looked. This was in movie mode. Of course this was on display, with no control over room lighting or source video.
post #2274 of 3719 Old 04-07-2013, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawfish View Post

I've been wondering about that myself. All my receipts identify me as "RZ Silver Reward Zone Premier Silver Member ID xxx", but it's been a long time since I spent even $1000 in a year at Best Buy. Furthermore, the last time I checked:

https://myrewardzone.bestbuy.com/

It contained a graph telling me how much more I needed to spend to reach Silver status.

Yeah, rather puzzling. Beats me.
post #2275 of 3719 Old 04-08-2013, 05:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Hoyt View Post

I'm a 55F8000 owner. Yeah, the flashlighting is pretty bad even with backlight at 8 and using movie mode with brightness at 30 and the room biased a bit with track lights on the wall behind (not on) the screen. In general, there are blotches and lines of brighter areas on a dark screen. I know, really, who cares because that's not what I'm watching, but when I do show photography to clients (I'm a pro photographer with this screen in my studio), it does show false bright areas on a dark scene with bright solid objects (wedding rings on dark background). Q: Can a calibration take care of this???

No, a calibration cannot fix the physical aspects of the panel.

Your Brightness setting is too low and dark gray is being crushed into black. First page settings should be approximately:
BL 8 - your choice
Contrast 90
Brightness 47
Sharpness 0
Color 50
Tint 50/50

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

post #2276 of 3719 Old 04-08-2013, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

As more and more reviews trickle in on the F series, i am starting to think buyers should really scour suppliers for sweet deals on the es models in the size of their choice.

Re Silver status at BB: as Rhett Butler said "frankly my dear, i don't give a dam"...

post #2277 of 3719 Old 04-08-2013, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:

As more and more reviews trickle in on the F series, i am starting to think buyers should really scour suppliers for sweet deals on the es models in the size of their choice.

Re Silver status at BB: as Rhett Butler said "frankly my dear, i don't give a dam"...
I was wondering about the e series myself. Is there any feel yet (I know it's still very early) for the real world advantages offered by the F series over the e series?
post #2278 of 3719 Old 04-08-2013, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Andy, i have had my 60" es8000 since last June and i'm extremely happy. The only flaw i experience is flashlight but ...its so mild and infrequent that it's easily tolerable considering (imho) the amazing pic quality i watch 99% of the time.

If i was shopping and no es models were available i'd be looking at the F seriously.

The real world advantages appear for the most part to be built around the smart features and the quad core ax opposed to es dual core, and not pic quality benefits.

post #2279 of 3719 Old 04-08-2013, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

I was wondering about the e series myself. Is there any feel yet (I know it's still very early) for the real world advantages offered by the F series over the e series?

If you read the owners thread, as opposed to this speculators' thread, There seems to be a fairly consistent consensus that the F series has come a very long way in dealing with the issues people have reported with the ES series.

YMMV cool.gif

Dave

post #2280 of 3719 Old 04-08-2013, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk View Post

If you read the owners thread, as opposed to this speculators' thread, There seems to be a fairly consistent consensus that the F series has come a very long way in dealing with the issues people have reported with the ES series.

YMMV cool.gif
I have to agree, especially after reading one of the last posts over there. Some one took the e series back for a variety of reason and feels that the f series has pretty much eliminated all of the problems. I've always thought that flash lighting and screen uniformity related problems were quality control issues at the factory level. You see quite a few models from different brands having owner complaints like this and yet many owners with the exact same panels swear they have zero problems. Maybe if you are buying from a B&M you should insist on checking out,( in-store) the very example you are buying.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Led Hdtv , Sony Bravia Xbr65hx929 65 Inch 1080p 3d Local Dimming Led Hdtv With Built In Wifi Black , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung 55 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv Un55f8000
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page