Forum Jump: 

post #2521 of 3705 Old 04-18-2013, 11:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

Wow. You've been here for 9 years and I'm one of the worst? . Doesn't say much for me does it. I'm afraid that I can't afford to buy 2 or 3 TV's to audition for a few weeks in my living room, then return them and buy the one I liked the best, especially if I'm buying from Amazon or the like. I think by the time September rolls around these forums will have painted a very reliable picture of these two sets to the point that if I have a problem with either it will because it's a defective set, not a problem inherent with the model itself. Unless you think I'm being ludicrous because I'm giving too much credit (50%) to the in store experience. That may be true but I'm basing that % on several trips to several stores over several months with my wife, and being allowed to play with the remote. How would you suggest a persons percentages be spent in choosing between 2 or 3 TV's?

Don't sweat it andy. The general consensus is that the lighting and other factors make getting a good impression of a tv's capabilities in a store very difficult and often the image you see in the store doesn't translate into what people see when they get the tv home. That being said, many people don't have the time, energy or inclination to buy a tv, get it home, set it up, find that they don't like it and return it, and go through that multiple times. You really just have to find what works for you. If you are diligent in reading reviews from a wide variety of sources, you are usually able to have some idea as how the tv performs in typical environments. Then going to a store to see it will give you another idea of other factors such as size (standing in front of a tv actually gives you some sense of scope, whereas it can be difficult from a review to grasp how big a 65" is to say a 60" ) what the esthetics are (some of our wives have strong points of view on this smile.gif ) , or what the built-in features seem to be, or if they are things you might find useful, and pricing. If the reviews and hands on, in person elements make a good impression, then checking the forums for any deal-braking issues before actually parting with the hard-earned is a good step. Everyone has a different set of values, and how much weight they give to any of those steps. There are a few folks who buy from places like amazon, try it, if they don't like, back it goes, and amazon typically makes that process fairly easy. Its not for everyone though.

I do think that the "worst idea ever" thing is a little overstated, like I said everyone has different levels of comfort. I have a friend who hates dealing with salespeople period, so he is all reviews, forums and amazon. Me, I kind of like shooting the breeze with salespeople, and if you deal with a reputable place with knowledgeable staff, sometimes they can give good advice. Like I said, don't sweat it, whatever way fits your needs and comfort level is whats best for you. Most of all, have fun, enjoy the process, it sounds like you don't do this every year or two, so having a good experience is nice too, not just having a new toy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2522 of 3705 Old 04-18-2013, 12:14 PM

Liked: 15
Just ordered the un60f8000 from amazon. Will have it by next week. A little nervous having not seen the 60" in person!
post #2523 of 3705 Old 04-18-2013, 12:14 PM

Just ordered the un60f8000 from amazon. Will have it by next week. A little nervous having not seen the 60" in person!
post #2524 of 3705 Old 04-18-2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeso View Post

Exciting! Hope you enjoy it.
post #2525 of 3705 Old 04-18-2013, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Hey "keeso" ,

Best of luck with your new Sammy , I hopes it checks out , a-ok ! smile.gif

Now , remember , after you plug it in , we will all be waiting for a review biggrin.gif > LOL , take your time and enjoy , but we would like to hear how you made out.

Later ,

Gary 
post #2526 of 3705 Old 04-18-2013, 03:21 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:

Interesting since Amazon.com says it is not shipping for 3-4 weeks and has been saying the same since they added it (the 60") to the site. I even added it to my cart and it says it will not deliver until May 21...
post #2527 of 3705 Old 04-18-2013, 06:02 PM

Quote:

Yeah. I check everyday. At 5:30 this morning they showed 4 in stock. I quickly ordered. Now its back to 3-4 weeks. I guess they were scooped up quick. This afternoon bestbuy showed stock then that quickly disappeared. I managed to squeak it in and get an April delivery date. I just amazon returns aren't a hassle if it comes down to it.
post #2528 of 3705 Old 04-18-2013, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi29 View Post

Hey "keeso" ,

Best of luck with your new Sammy , I hopes it checks out , a-ok ! smile.gif

Now , remember , after you plug it in , we will all be waiting for a review biggrin.gif > LOL , take your time and enjoy , but we would like to hear how you made out.

Later ,

Gary 
Will do. I am no expert however. I'm still using a 13 year old CRT rear projection Toshiba HDTV. I will say this, that old monstrosity had an excellent PQ, but ir burn in and a massive footprint convinced me its time to step up to LED.
post #2529 of 3705 Old 04-18-2013, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Will the 65 inch panel be sourced from the same maker as the 60f8000?

I don't follow this much but iirc, the 60es8000 was a better tv than the 65es8000 last year? if thats correct, then would one be better off with a 60f8000? I am willing to go up to the 65 inch panel and would prefer a bigger screen, but not at the cost of performance......not at these prices...
post #2530 of 3705 Old 04-18-2013, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by david3772 View Post

Maybe you would lend me your 8-track tape? smile.gif
sure dee bro, preezzzz buzzR 321 biggrin.gif
Juzz don't hit rewind eek.gif

watcha talken bout willis tongue.gif

SEK-2000/ZA....Any GOOD ?
post #2531 of 3705 Old 04-18-2013, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLee View Post

Will the 65 inch panel be sourced from the same maker as the 60f8000?

I don't follow this much but iirc, the 60es8000 was a better tv than the 65es8000 last year? if thats correct, then would one be better off with a 60f8000? I am willing to go up to the 65 inch panel and would prefer a bigger screen, but not at the cost of performance......not at these prices...

I wouldn't base my decision on pre-release opinion and speculation, or what last year's models did or didn't do.

Wait and see when we get actual owners' reports on the larger sizes. Lots of hand wringing goes on around here based on innuendo and rumour.

Dave

post #2532 of 3705 Old 04-19-2013, 09:56 AM

Liked: 10
Hi,

I currently own an 65ES8000 that have some minor banding so Best Buy is willing to let me exchange for either a 65F8000 or a 64F8500. The problem I have is trying to decide between the two, I like LED because is bright and it have no Image Retention issues.

But what I have been reading about the plasma 64F8500 lately sound like this issues have been mostly improve. Most report that is as bright as an LED and that Image Retention is non existing although other have reported buzzing sound on some of the units.

What are your thoughts guys 65F8000 or 64F8500?

Thanks
post #2533 of 3705 Old 04-19-2013, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkvader001 View Post

Hi,

What are your thoughts guys 65F8000 or 64F8500?

Thanks

I saw both at Best Buy and they look great.

The F8000 has a very detailed picture (motion resolution) for a LED.

The F8000 does suffer from weak off-angle viewing.

The F8500 is bright like a LCD, but can't easily hold an all bright screen like LED.

Both have excellent color accuracy and color saturation.

The F8000's black level looks best in daylight/bright room.

The F8500 look excellent at night/dark room.

Personally I like the F8500 better, and I have never owned a plasma.
post #2534 of 3705 Old 04-19-2013, 12:26 PM

Liked: 27
Greystone dropped the price another hundred! Wonder how many times this will happen haha: $2169
post #2535 of 3705 Old 04-19-2013, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by adgrimes View Post

Greystone dropped the price another hundred! Wonder how many times this will happen haha: $2169

I DON'T NEED TO KNOW THAT! DAMMIT.

Now if you'll excuse me, this person who paid full price for the thing at Best Buy is going to go in a corner and mumble angrily.
post #2536 of 3705 Old 04-19-2013, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi AGuy01,

How did you get at 46" BB , or is a 55" ?

Also , I need help ! , I have looked on Samsung`s web site recently and it states that it has a couple of mini ( they must be ) subs in the F8000 , here is a link >

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN46F8000BFXZA-specs

Can you please verify , thanks in advance ! smile.gif

O___BTW , best of luck with your new Sammy biggrin.gif

Later smile.gif

Gary 
post #2537 of 3705 Old 04-19-2013, 01:34 PM

I bought the 55-inch model. And my Best Buy had one in the back in early March. I'm surprised so many people are having trouble finding one.

If the site lists it has woofers then I'm sure it does, but they're still not going to sound as good as my real audio setup. One of the first things I did was configure the TV to use external speakers.
post #2538 of 3705 Old 04-19-2013, 01:41 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratesCove View Post

I saw both at Best Buy and they look great.

The F8000 has a very detailed picture (motion resolution) for a LED.

The F8000 does suffer from weak off-angle viewing.

The F8500 is bright like a LCD, but can't easily hold an all bright screen like LED.

Both have excellent color accuracy and color saturation.

The F8000's black level looks best in daylight/bright room.

The F8500 look excellent at night/dark room.

Personally I like the F8500 better, and I have never owned a plasma.

Thanks for the info.
post #2539 of 3705 Old 04-19-2013, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the reply AGuy01 , I agree , the best way is to hook it up to a surround sys. or at the very least a sound bar.

I have an antique !! , the venerable Yamaha DSP-A1 / G , but I kind`a hate to fire up my whole system to listen to the weather channel !! LOL smile.gif

I had the LG - 46" 8600 last year and was really surprised that it could produce the sound levels that it did , good surround too , just could not hold a "white balance" after about 3 hours on.

Great tv cold !! eek.gif , good tv for Polar Bears !

Take care biggrin.gif

G. 
post #2540 of 3705 Old 04-19-2013, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Ordered the 46F8000 2 days ago from Best Buy. It's not available on their site yet but in my area their warehouse has them available so they ordered one for me in-store for delivery next week. So if you want a 46" - check your local stores and ask if their warehouse has them in stock for ordering - they might. I tried to price-match at 2 locations - one wouldn't match price at all to either Greystone or Abe's of Maine. The sales guy told me I could try other stores but he would not lower the price that much for a new set. I tried a second one, and they wouldn't match Greystone, but the manager offered to take $200 off for me. I then asked if they would instead match Abe's of Maine, and after speaking to the manager again, they agreed to match Abe's of Maine. They said it was on their list of stores not match to (I didn't know they had a blacklist?) but they said since I was a silver member they would do me the favor. I think Greystone is so cheap now after dropping their prices again that Best Buy won't even consider the price match to Greystone now - it's just too much of a price difference.

But today I decided I better measure my current tv stand to see if the new set will fit when it gets delivered next week, and it doesn't fit! My current stand is 37" wide, which seemed to be plenty long enough by looking at it. But the stand is listed as being 40.7" - so it won't fit. This is a major issue for me because we simply don't have the money to spend another $100+ minimum on another stand, and the tv is coming early next week. We also have very little available room left where the current stand is, and we basically need to find a new stand that is long enough to hold the new set (so minimum of 3 inches but of course I don't want it doing a balancing act on the edges so I really want a couple inches to spare on either side), but not too long that it won't fit where I need it to go.

I'm not sure yet what to do. My girlfriend isn't even aware yet of the stand being too short - I guess we should have measured it beforehand but it looks plenty long enough and still isn't. She's gonna freak when I tell her we need to buy a new stand now - we just bought this one about 3 years ago for $100 and it's quite nice, now useless thank to the ridiculous design of the stand this year by Samsung. We may need to just give up on this and cancel the order. I really hate to do it. Samsung will lose sales because of this stand. There's just no reason for it. My old ES 46" last year fit no problem - so just because of the wacky stand design we may need to rethink this whole thing and find another tv set. At least if Samsung made an accessory basic stand that you could buy and use instead of this awful thing. Not sure what to do.
post #2541 of 3705 Old 04-19-2013, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi "eagle_2 ,

I have an idea !

Go to a lumber yard or any HD or Lowe`s and pick up 2 < qty > pieces of wood 6" wide by 4' (feet) long get either 1/2 or 3/4 ( 1/2 will measure 3/8 and 3/4 will measure 5/8 ) .

Poplar is a good medium wood to work with , oak is too hard and pine is too soft , also maple has nice grain , but also a "hard wood" , but not as hard as oak.

Make sure they are as straight as possible , it will save you a lot of sanding.

If you are lucky HD will cut it to the length you need ( 41" ) .

Sand using course and work your way to fine ( sandpaper pack will include variety of grits ).

Stain to your choice of stains , let dry , then use polyurethane ( gloss or semi gloss ) clear. You will need several coats ( at least 3 + sand with fine paper after each coat / except for the last.

That should do it , you will have support in the back and in the front.

I hope I have helped !! biggrin.gif

Gary 
post #2542 of 3705 Old 04-19-2013, 02:41 PM

He could also use the money he saved from Best Buy price matching to get a new stand. There was never any guarantee that they would have lowered the price to begin with, after all.
post #2543 of 3705 Old 04-19-2013, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Since there is obviously a lot of very smart and informed people here on this and the other F8000 thread I would like some opinions on a question. Regarding flash lighting, clouding and banding. Do these all fall under the screen uniformity umbrella and is the reason for these problems a technology problem with edge lit LED's or can it be more blamed on poor quality control at the factory level? It does seem like the very high end brands and models are less problematical and even with the F8000 some examples are much worse than others.
post #2544 of 3705 Old 04-19-2013, 03:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

Since there is obviously a lot of very smart and informed people here on this and the other F8000 thread I would like some opinions on a question. Regarding flash lighting, clouding and banding. Do these all fall under the screen uniformity umbrella and is the reason for these problems a technology problem with edge lit LED's or can it be more blamed on poor quality control at the factory level? It does seem like the very high end brands and models are less problematical and even with the F8000 some examples are much worse than others.

All edge-lit LED TVs will have some degree of flashlighting, banding, clouding. It is inherent to the technology. Luck of the draw on the panel you get.

My ES8000 settings, calibrated with an i1D3 and calman: Standard Mode, Movie Mode (out of date, will update soon)
CalMAN 5 Novice Walkthrough
post #2545 of 3705 Old 04-19-2013, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

True . eagle_02 could buy a new stand, AGuy01 , I was just offering an alternative.

You are right , a new would look a heck of a lot better than a couple of planks !!

Later smile.gif

Me, 
post #2546 of 3705 Old 04-19-2013, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 View Post

Samsung will lose sales because of this stand.

Of this I have no doubt.
post #2547 of 3705 Old 04-19-2013, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

I must agree , despite the good looks of the crescent moon stand , a lot of folks are going to find it hard to get around.

Although last years model stand was wide , at least it was not as wide as the tv it self.

Great looks , but bad idea ! wink.gif

G. 
post #2548 of 3705 Old 04-19-2013, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavinwow View Post

All edge-lit LED TVs will have some degree of flashlighting, banding, clouding. It is inherent to the technology. Luck of the draw on the panel you get.
If it's "luck pf the Draw" then wouldn't that relate back to the physical putting together of the TV which would then relate back to quality control?
post #2549 of 3705 Old 04-19-2013, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 View Post

Ordered the 46F8000 2 days ago from Best Buy. It's not available on their site yet but in my area their warehouse has them available so they ordered one for me in-store for delivery next week. So if you want a 46" - check your local stores and ask if their warehouse has them in stock for ordering - they might. I tried to price-match at 2 locations - one wouldn't match price at all to either Greystone or Abe's of Maine. The sales guy told me I could try other stores but he would not lower the price that much for a new set. I tried a second one, and they wouldn't match Greystone, but the manager offered to take $200 off for me. I then asked if they would instead match Abe's of Maine, and after speaking to the manager again, they agreed to match Abe's of Maine. They said it was on their list of stores not match to (I didn't know they had a blacklist?) but they said since I was a silver member they would do me the favor. I think Greystone is so cheap now after dropping their prices again that Best Buy won't even consider the price match to Greystone now - it's just too much of a price difference.

But today I decided I better measure my current tv stand to see if the new set will fit when it gets delivered next week, and it doesn't fit! My current stand is 37" wide, which seemed to be plenty long enough by looking at it. But the stand is listed as being 40.7" - so it won't fit. This is a major issue for me because we simply don't have the money to spend another $100+ minimum on another stand, and the tv is coming early next week. We also have very little available room left where the current stand is, and we basically need to find a new stand that is long enough to hold the new set (so minimum of 3 inches but of course I don't want it doing a balancing act on the edges so I really want a couple inches to spare on either side), but not too long that it won't fit where I need it to go.

I'm not sure yet what to do. My girlfriend isn't even aware yet of the stand being too short - I guess we should have measured it beforehand but it looks plenty long enough and still isn't. She's gonna freak when I tell her we need to buy a new stand now - we just bought this one about 3 years ago for $100 and it's quite nice, now useless thank to the ridiculous design of the stand this year by Samsung. We may need to just give up on this and cancel the order. I really hate to do it. Samsung will lose sales because of this stand. There's just no reason for it. My old ES 46" last year fit no problem - so just because of the wacky stand design we may need to rethink this whole thing and find another tv set. At least if Samsung made an accessory basic stand that you could buy and use instead of this awful thing. Not sure what to do.

Can you add a platform, nicely finished, on top of your existing stand, to put the set on?

If you have a buddy with woodworking skills, or if you do, it wouldn't be much work. Just a thought.

Dave

post #2550 of 3705 Old 04-19-2013, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi eagle_2 ,

First idea , too much work , and time frame would not work either.

But that does not mean I put my brain to sleep !!! smile.gif

How about this , not the greatest , but I bet it will work ! Down side is it is a little pricey , but not too much.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/21895900?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227000000000&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=&wl3=21486607510&wl4=&wl5=pla&veh=sem#Specifications

I really hope you have great luck with your new Sammy , and I think this is just the ticket for a good place to put it !!

Later biggrin.gif

Gary 

PS:

O____ don`t forget to post your findings or at least a 2,000 word review !! LOL , just joking !
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Led Hdtv , Sony Bravia Xbr65hx929 65 Inch 1080p 3d Local Dimming Led Hdtv With Built In Wifi Black , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung 55 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv Un55f8000
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page