post #2612 of 3703 Old 04-21-2013, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by xinfamousxi View Post

Does the F7500 and F8000 have the same stands?

No, the F8000 has the 'floating' arc, and the F7500 has the traditional silver 4-legged one.
post #2613 of 3703 Old 04-21-2013, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Well we bought a tv stand this evening at Best Buy to accommodate the F8000's "Arc" stand:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Init%26%23153%3B+-+TV+Stand+With+Gaming+Nook+for+Flat-Panel+TVs+Up+to+46%26%2334%3B/4677005.p?id=1218505324186&skuId=4677005

Got it for $120 after looking at many different stands this weekend. It's being delivered sometime in the next week, so I'm going to see if I can push back delivery of the tv from this Tuesday to maybe Friday or next Monday instead, so the tv doesn't end up sitting in the box with the return window counting down while I wait for delivery of the stand to place it on.

It seemed very solid in the store - and gets great reviews online - it's nothing fancy by any means, but looks nice in person, and because I have a lot of components, many of the stands I looked at that were more "sleek" with black and glass actually provided less storage for my equipment. I measured all my equipment and this stand will work very well - and it will hold the Arc stand for the 46" with about 3 1/2" left over on each side - a comfortable amount of space so it's not on it's edge. I can even put my turntable where the 2 drawers are if I want because I can just not put the drawers in and not install the drawer guides - only one side in there is unfinished. That would allow me to flip the turntable lid all the way up for when I transfer records to my PC. My center speaker might just squeeze in the center vertical area - if not, some record albums would look great in there next to my turntable if that's what I end up doing. Also the bottom left shelf is adjustable in height which is good so I can give my receiver a bit more breathing room above for the ventilation holes. This shouldn't be too hard to assemble - nothing complicated.

I just won't have the swivel ability of some of the stands we were looking at - but overall this was a pretty inexpensive stand and it should work very well at holding all my stuff.
post #2614 of 3703 Old 04-21-2013, 08:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
post #2615 of 3703 Old 04-21-2013, 08:57 PM

Hey guys,

Spoke to Best Buy today. Some stores have the 46 inch in stock now. My store doesn't and I'm waiting on some feedback from Directv this week before I go out and get a brand new tv (don't want the technician crawling around my new toy) but otherwise I'm planning on ordering this baby in the next 72 hours. I saw Sony had some 4k tv's just released but they don't have a 46 or 50 and the 55 is off the charts pricey.

For the 2000 dollar price range and the 46-50 inch size plane, is this likely to be my best best for this year? The only other sets I'd be interested in looking at are the new Sony LED's but they aren't out yet and I've always heard Samsung is the brand to go with for LED.

Any final thoughts?

Thanks guys.
post #2616 of 3703 Old 04-21-2013, 08:57 PM

post #2617 of 3703 Old 04-21-2013, 08:57 PM

post #2618 of 3703 Old 04-21-2013, 08:58 PM

Repost..sorry
post #2619 of 3703 Old 04-21-2013, 09:06 PM

Hey guys, sorry about the repeated posts. I'm having some internet issues at my home (along with directv....). It's been that kind of month with electronics at my house, this could have something to do with my nerves making a large TV purchase when nothing seems to work at my home. HA:mad:
post #2620 of 3703 Old 04-21-2013, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Personally I think it's too early to tell what the best set will be this year. Most manufacturers haven't launched most of their 2013 sets yet, so Samsung got an early leap over the others. This set seems to get great "pro" reviews, but I think it's too early to know for certain until many more people start sharing their experiences, and we start seeing what other manufacturers are coming out with this year. Last year the 2012 Samsungs appeared to be great sets, but they had some serious quality control issues. This year hopefully things will improve.

I jumped at the F8000 early because I got a great deal and need a tv, but without having any other 2013 sets to compare to makes it tricky - how can I know if this will be the best out there when it's the only one out there right now?
post #2621 of 3703 Old 04-21-2013, 09:39 PM

Eagle,

That's a fair assessment. Maybe I'll see what kind of deal I can get on the F and if it isn't right I'll hold out for a while.
I know the Sony LED last year was an award winning set.
post #2622 of 3703 Old 04-22-2013, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Hi flyboy2160 ,

Thanks for your reply , great help smile.gif

I had an LG / LM8600 last year and I tried everything to stop the judder when watching stuff like CNN / MSNBC / Fox news / ESPN.

For a TV to have 240Hz , there was a ton of motion blur as well. I tried watching Dr. Who , and at the beginning , when the Tardis is flying through time there were so many actual square blocks on the screen , I probably could have counted them. eek.gif

Sports or anything with fast movers , just a blur. confused.gif

I have a 60Hz Sony KDL-40XBR2 , and all the same content is very smooth , a few times I have noticed motion blur was when my cable channel signal was weak.

O__well , dig a hole for the LG !! LOL ( well / deep subject ! )

Thanks again smile.gif

Gary 
post #2623 of 3703 Old 04-22-2013, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Good morning eagle , that`s a nice looking stand for a buck fifty !!

Good buy , congrats , plus you will end up with about 3" on each side , should look very nice.

Be sure to post pic`s biggrin.gif

Later , smile.gif

G. 
post #2624 of 3703 Old 04-22-2013, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel1400 View Post

For the 2000 dollar price range and the 46-50 inch size plane, is this likely to be my best best for this year? The only other sets I'd be interested in looking at are the new Sony LED's but they aren't out yet and I've always heard Samsung is the brand to go with for LED.

Any final thoughts?

Thanks guys.

I saw the new Sonys and they look really good also.

True successors to the X850. I'm still going Samsung for 2013, though.
post #2625 of 3703 Old 04-22-2013, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 49
Another review

http://www.stuff.tv/review/samsung-ue55f8000

As of June 2013:
2,712 Bluray movies
1,593 DVD movies
356 bluray+DVD series
1,322 bluray+DVD Anime
post #2626 of 3703 Old 04-22-2013, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halimali View Post

Another review

http://www.stuff.tv/review/samsung-ue55f8000

I guess their 11x repetition of "Samsung UE55F8000 review" in boldface worked! biggrin.gif
post #2627 of 3703 Old 04-22-2013, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi29 View Post

Good morning eagle , that`s a nice looking stand for a buck fifty !!

Good buy , congrats , plus you will end up with about 3" on each side , should look very nice.

Be sure to post pic`s biggrin.gif

Later , smile.gif

G. 

Thanks. I really like that A/V rack, but I stumbled onto some info last night that made me realize it won't work out for me - I was planning on leaving the back off when I built it, since it's only cardboard-thin anyways, and I thought it was really for appearance rather than structural integrity, but according to the PDF assembly manual, it is required for structural integrity, and it says If left off the stand can collapse. I need the back open because otherwise I would need to disconnect all my devices and feed the wires through and re-wire everything, and load all my component from the front, plus some of my wires like my HDMI cords and Ethernet cords aren't long enough to give me enough slack to feed through the holes and wire everything from the front. My current stand is open on the back and I've got enough room to slip behind it and have access to the wires - if I need to swap a component around I just push the stand forward a tad and pull the component out the back, still wired into everything. So the new stand would have prevented me from that easy access to things back there, as well as make it very tough or impossible to wire things with some of my shorter cables that are just long enough to reach from my PC to the receiver, or my gigabit switch box on my pc stand, which handles all my internet connections for my devices, since most everything on the tv stand will be connected to the internet.

So back to more A/V rack shopping. I called Best Buy and they told me I would have to wait until tomorrow to cancel the order for whatever reason. Too bad because I got the stand for only $120 - they gave me the sale price even though the sale ended the day before. I guess for my setup I need an open stand like the ones with glass shelves I see everywhere now because those would give me easy access to the back. But those get expensive, and this stand actually was laid out nice. Many of those stands with the 3 big glass shelves actually would give me less usable room. If only I could leave the back off this stand it would have been fine.
post #2628 of 3703 Old 04-22-2013, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

From the stuff.tv review:

"The new metal arc stand has been designed to create a ‘floating display’ effect, and while it looks sufficiently floaty, there is an issue: the stand is as wide as the screen itself, which at 120cm is too long for your standard-issue AV rack and leaves the whole thing prone to tipping forward. Not good for the nerves after splashing two and a half grand on a telly "

I wonder how many people will return this set when they open the box and find that stand is so huge. What were they thinking?
post #2629 of 3703 Old 04-22-2013, 11:50 AM

Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 View Post

Thanks. I really like that stand, but I stumbled onto some info last night that made me realize it won't work out for me - I was planning on leaving the back off when I built it, since it's only cardboard-thin anyways, and I thought it was really for appearance rather than structural integrity, but according to the PDF assembly manual, it is required for structural integrity, and it says If left off the stand can collapse. I need the back open because otherwise I would need to disconnect all my devices and feed the wires through and re-wire everything, and load all my component from the front, plus some of my wires like my HDMI cords and Ethernet cords aren't long enough to give me enough slack to feed through the holes and wire everything from the front. My current stand is open on the back and I've got enough room to slip behind it and have access to the wires - if I need to swap a component around I just push the stand forward a tad and pull the component out the back, still wired into everything. So the new stand would have prevented me from that easy access to things back there, as well as make it very tough or impossible to wire things with some of my shorter cables that are just long enough to reach from my PC to the receiver, or my gigabit switch box on my pc stand, which handles all my internet connections for my devices, since most everything on the tv stand will be connected to the internet.

So back to more stand shopping. I called Best Buy and they told me I would have to wait until tomorrow to cancel the order for whatever reason. Too bad because I got the stand for only $120 - they gave me the sale price even though the sale ended the day before. I guess for my setup I need an open stand like the ones with glass shelves I see everywhere now because those would give me easy access to the back. But those get expensive, and this stand actually was laid out nice. Many of those stands with the 3 big glass shelves actually would give me less usable room. If only I could leave the back off this stand it would have been fine.

Are you expecting to constantly swap cables? That stand might make cable management a little more of a hassle, but once it's done you might have a cleaner setup or presentation. And if you're worried about short HDMI cables, you could go to Amazon.com and order longer ones from there. A 6.5 ft. cable is $5.79, 9.8 ft. $9.99, 15 ft. $11.49, etc.

It sounds like you're having a hell of a time trying to get this TV.
post #2630 of 3703 Old 04-22-2013, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Thanks. I really like that A/V rack, but I stumbled onto some info last night that made me realize it won't work out for me - I was planning on leaving the back off when I built it, since it's only cardboard-thin anyways, and I thought it was really for appearance rather than structural integrity, but according to the PDF assembly manual, it is required for structural integrity, and it says If left off the stand can collapse. I need the back open because otherwise I would need to disconnect all my devices and feed the wires through and re-wire everything, and load all my component from the front, plus some of my wires like my HDMI cords and Ethernet cords aren't long enough to give me enough slack to feed through the holes and wire everything from the front. My current stand is open on the back and I've got enough room to slip behind it and have access to the wires - if I need to swap a component around I just push the stand forward a tad and pull the component out the back, still wired into everything. So the new stand would have prevented me from that easy access to things back there, as well as make it very tough or impossible to wire things with some of my shorter cables that are just long enough to reach from my PC to the receiver, or my gigabit switch box on my pc stand, which handles all my internet connections for my devices, since most everything on the tv stand will be connected to the internet.

So back to more A/V rack shopping. I called Best Buy and they told me I would have to wait until tomorrow to cancel the order for whatever reason. Too bad because I got the stand for only $120 - they gave me the sale price even though the sale ended the day before. I guess for my setup I need an open stand like the ones with glass shelves I see everywhere now because those would give me easy access to the back. But those get expensive, and this stand actually was laid out nice. Many of those stands with the 3 big glass shelves actually would give me less usable room. If only I could leave the back off this stand it would have been fine.

How about using some L brackets on the back to reinforce the structural integrity?
post #2631 of 3703 Old 04-22-2013, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuy01 View Post

Are you expecting to constantly swap cables? That stand might make cable management a little more of a hassle, but once it's done you might have a cleaner setup or presentation. And if you're worried about short HDMI cables, you could go to Amazon.com and order longer ones from there. A 6.5 ft. cable is $5.79, 9.8 ft. $9.99, 15 ft. $11.49, etc.

It sounds like you're having a hell of a time trying to get this TV.

Well really I'm back there more often than you might think. I'd have to pull my receiver completely out the front to get access to the back of the receiver any time I wanted to switch an input or temporarily plug something in. I just think for how often I actually find myself behind my A/V rack, I know it will be impractical for me. Plus I had a perfect spot where I was going to place my soundbar (there's a perfect space for it behind the first level of shelving where the center divider doesn't go all the way to the back) - it would have been perfect, but with the back on it would be impossible to place it in there. I imagined just sliding it in from the back, but I can't. Also I was planning on ditching the drawers and using the space for more components but I can't because there is no cord access to that area with the back on, since they didn't plan on you using it that way. So some of what I was planning with it is not possible with the back on.

The length of that stand was about 47", which is just the right length to give me enough room for the tv, while still fitting it in my little corner area where it will go. Another few inches longer and it would have been an issue fitting it in. So the length of a new A/V rack has to be right between the 44"-50" length - just enough to hold the tv while still fitting in my tv area. A lot of the glass shelving racks I've seen are exactly 40", which won't be long enough to accommodate the Arc stand.
post #2632 of 3703 Old 04-22-2013, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grhopper View Post

How about using some L brackets on the back to reinforce the structural integrity?

You know, I was thinking abut that, but somebody else in a review mentioned it and said "too bad they didn't use brackets for integrity instead of the back", but they just ended up using the back. I imagine that they decided brackets wouldn't do the same job of the back. The reviewer said he preferred to not use the back, like me, so I imagine if he could have gotten around it he might have. Or maybe he was just lazy. But the back uses 50 nails that go all around the perimeter of the stand and get nailed into every single piece of wood. I wonder if having just 4 L brackets in the 4 corners would be enough, or does the stand rely on the back being nailed into the whole thing to do it's job?

I called support, and asked them their opinion on L- brackets instead of the back. They said it does require support in the back to hold it together. They said L-brackets "should" work, but it wasn't designed with that in mind, and if it doesn't hold together, and it collapses and damages my equipment, it would not be covered because the stand was modified by me. So I'd be nervous trusting all my equipment on it.

I dunno. I might look at it again in the store tonight and see if I can get a feel for how that would work with L brackets. The stand I have currently has the back off too, which I guess I never put on for the likely the same reason, and I had a large CRT set on it for like 3 years, plus all my equipment, and it never collapsed, and it seems very solid. Of course different stand, different structural design. L-brackets would only help the 4 corners - it won't help with all the different dividers of which there are several throughout the stand. The back nails it all together.
post #2633 of 3703 Old 04-22-2013, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi eagle ,

Sorry , I must be missing something.

The stand at BB does have "punch-outs" on the back piece for the wires and cables to go thru , if so , then just go to mono price.com for more cables.

I buy all my cables there , and so far have been satisfied. I know you don`t want to dump anymore coin into this project than you have to , but you can get a 12' HDMI cable for < 6 bucks.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024009&p_id=4959&seq=1&format=2

Anyway , all my best ! smile.gif

Later ,

Me 
post #2634 of 3703 Old 04-22-2013, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi29 View Post

Hi eagle ,

Sorry , I must be missing something.

The stand at BB does have "punch-outs" on the back piece for the wires and cables to go thru , if so , then just go to mono price.com for more cables.

I buy all my cables there , and so far have been satisfied. I know you don`t want to dump anymore coin into this project than you have to , but you can get a 12' HDMI cable for < 6 bucks.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024009&p_id=4959&seq=1&format=2

Anyway , all my best ! smile.gif

Later ,

Me 

It has some punch-outs, but none behind the section where the drawers are - and I was planning on using that space for more components - there are no punch-outs behind that section, and the way the back works it separates the sections so I couldn't plug any components in because there is no punch-out behind that part of the back.

I don't want to keep things too off-topic here so I don't want to keep talking too much about the stand, since I know it doesn't really have anything to do with the tv specifically, other than I wouldn't be dealing with this if Samsung knew how to make a normal tv stand.

Thanks for offering some thoughts though - I certainly appreciate the input. I'll take another look at it tonight on display and see if I get any ideas.
post #2635 of 3703 Old 04-22-2013, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

You know, I was thinking abut that, but somebody else in a review mentioned it and said "too bad they didn't use brackets for integrity instead of the back", but they just ended up using the back. I imagine that they decided brackets wouldn't do the same job of the back. The reviewer said he preferred to not use the back, like me, so I imagine if he could have gotten around it he might have. Or maybe he was just lazy. But the back uses 50 nails that go all around the perimeter of the stand and get nailed into every single piece of wood. I wonder if having just 4 L brackets in the 4 corners would be enough, or does the stand rely on the back being nailed into the whole thing to do it's job?

I called support, and asked them their opinion on L- brackets instead of the back. They said it does require support in the back to hold it together. They said L-brackets "should" work, but it wasn't designed with that in mind, and if it doesn't hold together, and it collapses and damages my equipment, it would not be covered because the stand was modified by me. So I'd be nervous trusting all my equipment on it.

I dunno. I might look at it again in the store tonight and see if I can get a feel for how that would work with L brackets. The stand I have currently has the back off too, which I guess I never put on for the likely the same reason, and I had a large CRT set on it for like 3 years, plus all my equipment, and it never collapsed, and it seems very solid. Of course different stand, different structural design. L-brackets would only help the 4 corners - it won't help with all the different dividers of which there are several throughout the stand. The back nails it all together.

you could use more than just 4 on the corners. you could use T-brackets also. I'm not sure how many of the shelves you'd use for components, but you could cut out the back on those shelves and leave the others solid. They are most probably just trying to cover their ass.
post #2636 of 3703 Old 04-22-2013, 01:11 PM

Liked: 27
I have my TV Wall but I still need some type of system to hold all of my AV stuff. I'm looking for a frontal enclosed system(babies...) so nothing can be messed with. I've glanced around best buy but some of their prices scare me. Since this will be placed underneath the TV, I believe I appreciate a long, low dresser style look. I've seen some pretty slick ones on here in the past but I'm not really seeing to many in a specific thread. Can someone point me in the right direction please?

Right now I am using an old TV stand but it is open in the front which means it will not work.
post #2637 of 3703 Old 04-22-2013, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey eagle , gotch ya , gezz that sounds like a pain.

I vote for the L brackets on the end and T brackets for the center.

Take care ,

G. 
post #2638 of 3703 Old 04-22-2013, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Hmm, T brackets - yeah maybe. Between L brackets in the corners and T brackets, it just might do the job huh? Of course the "wood" really isn't very thick, and the nails meant for the back are tiny tiny, like tacks almost, but slightly longer. I'd need nails that would hold the brackets on tight but aren't thick enough to split the "wood". I'll have to take another look at it tonight. I'm heading out now to pick up my girlfriend from work. Thanks again for the input!
post #2639 of 3703 Old 04-22-2013, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi eagle ,

NO nails , use screws , they would be stronger than nails.

Use a small drill bit first and then screw the brackets in place.

Later , smile.gif

Gary 

PS:

Just let me know if you need more help !
post #2640 of 3703 Old 04-22-2013, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

To eagle :

Dry-Wall screws would work best.

G 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Led Hdtv , Sony Bravia Xbr65hx929 65 Inch 1080p 3d Local Dimming Led Hdtv With Built In Wifi Black , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung 55 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv Un55f8000
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page