Samsung F8000 -- 2013 Flagship Models - Page 95 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #2821 of 3737 Old 04-29-2013, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMSko View Post

Okay, I'm sure this must be an easy one, but does anyone know how to get the "info" button to show the TV info instead of the info for my STB (when I press the info button via the Sammy remote, it is the function of my STB (DirecTV) info button)?

I'd love to know the answer to this one too. I haven't figured it out. I hit info from the tools menu and I get the FiOS box info instead of the tv info.

Also, does anyone know how to get the tv to boot up straight to the tv full-screen, like a normal tv, instead of the smartub?

Also, it took me until yesterday to find the "mute" button on the remote - it's on the left side. Actually it was my girlfriend that discovered it. I couldn't believe there was no mute button on the touch remote, but I just wasn't seeing it because they hid it on the side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2822 of 3737 Old 04-29-2013, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitlyn2004 View Post

It worked lovely with my previous Toshiba 42" 42HL167.

I just set up the activity again using a UN55D8000... it won't actually switch to the input it seems (yet using the on-screen softbuttons allow me to switch to HDMI 2...)

Now about to try with UN55ES8000! frown.gif
- Seems to have same effect as using the F8000...

How could using the harmony just totally screw it up? Once it's "broken" I can't even switch off/on to the source using default Samsung remote and have it work..

UGH! frown.gif

If I turn on the computer, then DON"T use the activity and just use the on-screen buttons of "power on" then "HDMI 2" it works like a charm.

This is scary. I have Harmony 700 and want to get the F8500. Right now I have Sony and four other devices and the remote works perfectly with all. I hope it will work same way with Samsung.

Anybody is facing the same problem using other Harmony models?

As of June 2013:
2,712 Bluray movies
1,593 DVD movies
356 bluray+DVD series
1,322 bluray+DVD Anime
post #2823 of 3737 Old 04-29-2013, 01:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 View Post

I'd love to know the answer to this one too. I haven't figured it out. I hit info from the tools menu and I get the FiOS box info instead of the tv info.

Also, does anyone know how to get the tv to boot up straight to the tv full-screen, like a normal tv, instead of the smartub?

Also, it took me until yesterday to find the "mute" button on the remote - it's on the left side. Actually it was my girlfriend that discovered it. I couldn't believe there was no mute button on the touch remote, but I just wasn't seeing it because they hid it on the side.
I also was frustrated with how to get it to boot to the TV full-screen. To fix it go to Menu>Snart Features>On TV Settings>Auto Start and then set it to "Off." Now, if someone can tell me how to get the info button to work, that would be great.

Rich S
TiVo since 1999

post #2824 of 3737 Old 04-29-2013, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Hi kait ,

I honestly and truly believe in my heart and soul that ALL of your devices are working fine.

Anything and EVERYTHING that is hooked up to an F8000 , will appear to be faulty , but I highly doubt that is the case.

I can tell tomorrow , when I should receive my replacement .( If it arrives , it should prove to be another interesting day frown.gif ).

At the request of Amazon , I agreed to try another , or else I would not even bother with the F8000.

Keep posting , all me best smile.gif

Gary 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

IMPORTANT :

IF ANYONE IS WITHIN THERE RETURN WINDOW , TAKE IT BACK !

OR AT LEAST TRY TO GET SOME OF YOUR MONEY BACK , THE PRICE AS DROPPED !

I WOULD LINK AMAZON , HOWEVER YOU CAN CHECK ANYWHERE , THE PRICE AS DROPPED.
post #2825 of 3737 Old 04-29-2013, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Now, if someone can tell me how to get the info button to work, that would be great.
According to Samsung, the info button will only show the TV info (and not the source info) when in the TV Mode.

Rich S
TiVo since 1999
post #2826 of 3737 Old 04-29-2013, 07:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I took some input lag tests tonight.

First, here's some info on how I did the test. I do not have a CRT monitor, so I used my HP LCD W2207H via HDMI. According to this review:

http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2007/review-hp-w2207-part11.html

My monitor has close to zero input lag, which makes it close enough to get a good idea about the input lag on the test. On the very first screenshot on that link for the review of my monitor, it shows 0 input lag compared to a CRT. "Practically no latency is visible in comparison with a CRT monitor."

I set my PC in clone mode. I then used a digital camera set to shutter priority with a fast shutter speed to freeze the countdown. I used the HTML version of the input lag test provided by flatpanelsHD on their website. I ran the test in various modes to get a feel for how different features affected the input lag. I then subtracted the lag of the HP monitor, which of course was always lower, from the lag of the Samsung F8000. All processing options were left off unless otherwise noted. Some tests I ran a 2nd test just to see if the numbers fluctuate, which they do. Here are my results:

Regular Viewing Mode:

- Movie Mode - 118 ms
- Standard Mode - 100 ms
- Standard Mode - Dynamic Contrast on Low - 100 ms
- Standard Mode - Auto Motion Plus on Clear - 99 ms
- Standard Mode - Auto Motion Plus on Standard - 100 ms

Game Mode:

- Game Mode - 84 ms
- Game Mode - 2nd reading - 101 ms
- Game Mode - 3rd reading - 83 ms
- Game Mode - Dynamic Contrast on Low - 66 ms
- Game Mode - Dynamic Contrast on Low - 2nd reading - 66 ms

PC Mode:

- PC Mode - 33 ms
- PC Mode - 2nd reading - 17 ms
- PC Mode - 3rd reading - 16 ms

Of course the numbers fluctuate, but I think the numbers speak for themselves. The input lag in regular mode, both Movie and Standard, are both far too high for any serious gaming. Those numbers are just plain bad. For some reason Movie mode seemed to be higher than Standard, but I only ran a single test in Movie mode, and I have a hunch it was probably just a spike like all the numbers fluctuate - it's probably similar to Standard on average. Auto Motion Plus doesn't seem to affect the lag in regular mode according to these numbers. It's possible AMP adds lag once it has to start actually processing motion though.

Gaming mode doesn't seem to be doing too much of anything to improve things. For some odd reason, with Dynamic Contrast on Low, it seems to actually help reduce lag. That could just be coincidence though. I don't see how Dynamic Contrast could actually help reduce input lag. The numbers in general are a tad lower than regular mode, but the numbers still aren't very good, and gaming still feels just as laggy and sluggish. Game mode doesn't feel any better than regular mode when playing.

The big difference is with PC mode activated. When PC mode is engaged correctly, it makes a huge difference. Huge. Not only does it support 4:4:4 chroma, which is great for PCs, it drastically reduces input lag. Games are very playable in PC mode, and I don't think I would have any problem gaming in PC mode regularly. I still wish I had a bit more control over the appearance of PC mode, other than the two available picture modes, but this is still the only way to go for serious gaming.
post #2827 of 3737 Old 04-29-2013, 07:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I also was frustrated with how to get it to boot to the TV full-screen. To fix it go to Menu>Snart Features>On TV Settings>Auto Start and then set it to "Off." Now, if someone can tell me how to get the info button to work, that would be great.

Awesome, thanks!
post #2828 of 3737 Old 04-29-2013, 07:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hi eagle ,

I am just curious , if you don`t mind , you got your F8000 at BB , right ? - ok , are you still getting a second F8000 ?

If so are you going to be getting your 100 dollars back ?

Just wondering , no big deal smile.gif

I will be getting my second one tomorrow , however I don`t think that things will change , at least not for the better , but hey ! , we are talking about electronics , so in that regard anything is possible ( well almost ! LOL ).

Anyway , thanks for posting the PC input info.

These sets ( F8000 ) are so far off , it is almost laughable at this point.

It is getting really hard to put faith into any tv on the market today , they all seem to have there weaknesses and non have any real great qualities.

O__ sure on paper they all look good , but like I have always said , you will never know how a tv is going to preform until you get in home and plug it in !

2nd O : O__How is your new stand doing ? Great I hope , well you take care ! smile.gif

Later ,

Gary 
post #2829 of 3737 Old 04-29-2013, 08:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi29 View Post

Hi eagle ,

I am just curious , if you don`t mind , you got your F8000 at BB , right ? - ok , are you still getting a second F8000 ?

If so are you going to be getting your 100 dollars back ?

Just wondering , no big deal smile.gif

I will be getting my second one tomorrow , however I don`t think that things will change , at least not for the better , but hey ! , we are talking about electronics , so in that regard anything is possible ( well almost ! LOL ).

Anyway , thanks for posting the PC input info.

These sets ( F8000 ) are so far off , it is almost laughable at this point.

It is getting really hard to put faith into any tv on the market today , they all seem to have there weaknesses and non have any real great qualities.

O__ sure on paper they all look good , but like I have always said , you will never know how a tv is going to preform until you get in home and plug it in !

2nd O : O__How is your new stand doing ? Great I hope , well you take care ! smile.gif

Later ,

Gary 

I got Best Buy to price-match Abe's of Maine, so I already got a great price on it, much better than Amazon's current price.

I'm still deciding if this is the set for me. If it is, I'll be getting it swapped for sure because of the dead pixel/pixels. I have stuff to think about. There are things I love about this set - especially the uniformity, as well as some really nice features, and the great interface. The image looks pretty amazing. But motion issues and the fact that AMP is not working right with custom settings, and the fact that most of the "enhancements" like Cinema Black and SMART LED will always be off doesn't help convince me.

I still think it's a great set, but small things can be very annoying, and the screen turning off during fades to black is really ruining my enjoyment. It's done that throughout 3 different films I've watched now, whenever there's a fade to black. It's like somebody just turned off the tv while I was watching it, before it pops back on again. Really awful idea on Samsung's part.

But as you said, I'm not sure there's any better tvs out there. All companies are sloppy, and issues like these plague these sets. I bet LG and Samsung have their own issues. I know the Panasonic plasma I tried last year had some issues that I hated. So do I really want to try out other sets, which means no tv while I wait for other 2013 sets to arrive on the shelves? I already know that Sony doesn't even plan to have a 46" this year for their higher-end sets, so Sony's out for me anyways. That leaves very few choices. I might as well stick with Samsung I guess. The F8000 certainly has it's strong points. If the panel looked like last year, which is what I was expecting, I would have already given up on it. But the screen looks so much better, I'm willing to give it a chance.

The stand is awesome:

http://www.sears.com/alphaline-trade-glass-and-metal-tv-stand/p-05710685000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

It was on sale when we bought it. The tv looks amazing on it, and the 46" fits perfectly with a comfortable bit of room to spare. And it's long enough that I have all my components stacked on the shelves.

Sorry to hear you're having issues with your set. I hope the replacement goes well for you.
post #2830 of 3737 Old 04-29-2013, 08:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I also was frustrated with how to get it to boot to the TV full-screen. To fix it go to Menu>Snart Features>On TV Settings>Auto Start and then set it to "Off."

Just tried this, and my "On TV Settings" is greyed out, so I can't change anything. Any ideas?
post #2831 of 3737 Old 04-30-2013, 03:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Just tried this, and my "On TV Settings" is greyed out, so I can't change anything. Any ideas?
Try it when using a different source (some options are greyed out depending on the source, maybe this one is one of those, although if that's the case I don't know why). If that doesn't work, try inputing a coax cable into the coax input, if possible from an OTA or VCR or cable box. Once you do that, I think it should work.

While I like this set, I have to say that Samsung has struck out with the hand gestures, voice controls and the OS in general. With the OS, the fact that (i) the info button only controls the source info, (ii) the "On TV Settings" can be greyed out even though some of the features applies to just turning the TV off and on and (iii) you aren't able to watch the TV while using the web browser are examples of some of the ineffectiveness. The hand gestures and voice controls are basically unusable IMO. If you are going to have these hi tech options, you need to make sure they work! Also, the remote is a very poor design IMO. In order to use many of the functions you need to click the more button and then navigate left/right to the proper screen. Very inconvenient and silly. If I wasn't using a Pronto remote, I'd be completely frustrated. Fortunately, my Pronto takes care of everything. I like that much more than my Harmony - too bad Philips isn't making the high end Pronto anymore.

Rich S
TiVo since 1999
post #2832 of 3737 Old 04-30-2013, 04:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Good morning Eagle ,

Thanks for the info smile.gif

I think we are in the same boat , there are things about the F8000 to love an definitely some things to really get your blood pressure up ! eek.gif

As far as your tv settings , did you hook up an antenna cable ? , if not then yes those would be greyed out ( I think ) .

WOW ___ That stand is amazing , that really looks sharp ! A lot better than the one BB had.

I am glad that you were able to get a really good price , I was looking for Amazons "tech-support" number Sunday when I noticed the price had dropped , so Amazon gave me the difference back.

Well , it is 7:30 AM , and at 6:15 , this morning I had the first one all boxed up and ready to go , now I am waiting on the second.

I am still not holding out much hope , but we shall see , and thank you the "well wishes" , I sure hope it does work out , even though the F8000 has it`s share of quirks , I will agree the picture is very good.

Your tv turning black ? __O , ok have you tried turning off the Eco -settings ? , I had almost the same problem , only mine would darken when I tried to adjust it ! eek.gif

As I have said ( way to many times ) and like you said , the F8000 is probably the best there is for 2013 , thats really sad ! frown.gif

Well have a great day , and I will post once I get the 2nd F8000 up and running ! smile.gif

Take care biggrin.gif

Gary 
post #2833 of 3737 Old 04-30-2013, 07:10 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 33
"...and the screen turning off during fades to black is really ruining my enjoyment. It's done that throughout 3 different films I've watched now, whenever there's a fade to black. It's like somebody just turned off the tv while I was watching it, before it pops back on again. Really awful idea on Samsung's part."

It also does this if the scene is very, very dark with only a small portion of the scene being dimly lit. For instance, during the b&w coffin sequence in Kill Bill 2, it flips from all black to a dimly lit scene several times in the sequence.
post #2834 of 3737 Old 04-30-2013, 07:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)

CE should stay inactive in movie mode. Check your settings.

It is all about quality. That is the picture.
NEC XG-1352LC 8" CRT, 106" wide StudioTek 130 screen
post #2835 of 3737 Old 04-30-2013, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaspianM View Post

will do. I was watching in 'standard.'
post #2836 of 3737 Old 04-30-2013, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Try it when using a different source (some options are greyed out depending on the source, maybe this one is one of those, although if that's the case I don't know why). If that doesn't work, try inputing a coax cable into the coax input, if possible from an OTA or VCR or cable box. Once you do that, I think it should work.

While I like this set, I have to say that Samsung has struck out with the hand gestures, voice controls and the OS in general. With the OS, the fact that (i) the info button only controls the source info, (ii) the "On TV Settings" can be greyed out even though some of the features applies to just turning the TV off and on and (iii) you aren't able to watch the TV while using the web browser are examples of some of the ineffectiveness. The hand gestures and voice controls are basically unusable IMO. If you are going to have these hi tech options, you need to make sure they work! Also, the remote is a very poor design IMO. In order to use many of the functions you need to click the more button and then navigate left/right to the proper screen. Very inconvenient and silly. If I wasn't using a Pronto remote, I'd be completely frustrated. Fortunately, my Pronto takes care of everything. I like that much more than my Harmony - too bad Philips isn't making the high end Pronto anymore.

I agree entirely. The more I use things the more sloppy the whole things seems. Sure it looks slick, but it's sloppy. The remote is just plain awful. I'm cursing it constantly. IF I decide to go with an F8000 for keepers, I'll be ordering the standard remote for sure. Voice is useless. Seems like a great idea until you realize how sloppy it is. I can say "volume up" or "channel up" but I can't say "volume 40" or "channel 510". What good is it if I can't say directly what channel to go to ow hat volume to go to? I have to say "channel up" like 500 times to get to channel 510. Hilarious. It understands me say "Hi TV Power On", but it refuses to understand me say "Hi TV Power Off". Neither me nor my girlfriend have gotten the tv to understand the phrase "power off".

The motion is even more frustrating and useless. That was to be expected anyways. What's more frustrating is how AMP is essentially broken. It's far worse than last year. I can't use custom at all - no blur reduction for me, lest I want all my channels to look like Rankin-Bass stop motion holiday specials.
post #2837 of 3737 Old 04-30-2013, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Good morning Eagle ,

Thanks for the info smile.gif

I think we are in the same boat , there are things about the F8000 to love an definitely some things to really get your blood pressure up ! eek.gif

As far as your tv settings , did you hook up an antenna cable ? , if not then yes those would be greyed out ( I think ) .

WOW ___ That stand is amazing , that really looks sharp ! A lot better than the one BB had.

I am glad that you were able to get a really good price , I was looking for Amazons "tech-support" number Sunday when I noticed the price had dropped , so Amazon gave me the difference back.

Well , it is 7:30 AM , and at 6:15 , this morning I had the first one all boxed up and ready to go , now I am waiting on the second.

I am still not holding out much hope , but we shall see , and thank you the "well wishes" , I sure hope it does work out , even though the F8000 has it`s share of quirks , I will agree the picture is very good.

Your tv turning black ? __O , ok have you tried turning off the Eco -settings ? , I had almost the same problem , only mine would darken when I tried to adjust it ! eek.gif

As I have said ( way to many times ) and like you said , the F8000 is probably the best there is for 2013 , thats really sad ! frown.gif

Well have a great day , and I will post once I get the 2nd F8000 up and running ! smile.gif

Take care biggrin.gif

Gary 

Yup, Eco is the first thing I disabled when I set up my set. The problem is this tv has a whole host of different options, and many of them all cause brightness fluctuations in the backlight. It's like their secret sauce - all the claims to their great black levels and contrast levels and black bars are all reliant on the use of their auto-backlight dimming, which wrecks havoc with the image. It's not worth it. I just want a stable image. The screen turning off on black screens is caused by whatever this CE-Dimming thing is - they've been doing this for years. Samsung refuses to learn what customers want and don't want.

Good luck on the new set today.
post #2838 of 3737 Old 04-30-2013, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaspianM View Post

The screen going black happens in both standard and movie mode. I have verified it several times with different content. It's how the tv functions in all modes. If the screen fades to black or displays a black screen, the tv panel shuts off until the image shows something other than all black. It's ridiculous, and the same thing happened last year. I was hoping they would have gotten rid of that this year.
post #2839 of 3737 Old 04-30-2013, 12:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I watched some FiOS late last night - just skipping through some channels. I left Auto Motion Plus on custom - blur reduction - 10, judder reduction-0. This should cause zero soap opera effect and vastly reduce motion blur caused by the LCD technology. Here is a short list of some of the channels that had stuttering/chugging/dropped frames while in custom mode:

- Discovery HD
- Investigation Discovery HD
- HIstory Channel HD
- The Learning Channel HD
- Lifetime HD
- Food Network HD
- Home and Garden TV HD
- A&E HD
- BBC America HD - strong soap opera effect going on, even though judder reduction was turned off in custom
- VH-1 HD
- AMC HD
- Hallmark HD - severe stutter, like stop-motion practically, and strong soap opera effect - Murder, She Wrote was on, and the soap opera effect was obvious
- Food Network HD
- TBS - severe stuttering
- WGBH 2 HD - severe stuttering and strong soap opera effect
- PBS HD - severe stuttering and strong soap opera effect

This is just from the channels I was skipping through last night. I have no doubt more channels are affected. Virtually all channels seem to be. FiOS is set to output 720p from the Motorola DVR box. Its obvious to me AMP is broken. It always used to stutter on all presets other than clear for me, and many others have had this issue over the years - but I never had custom mode act like this. I used to be able to leave blur reduction on and I never had any forced soap opera effect or this level of stuttering. This is a serious issue right now and this has me thinking strongly about giving up on the set because I know Samsung won't do anything about this issue.
post #2840 of 3737 Old 04-30-2013, 02:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hi Guy`s ,

Just a quick up-date + A BIG HINT !

This you already know , Samsung`s tech support does not know there products , at all...

INFORMATION VITAL TO ALL HTPC USERS AND MAC USERS:

You can get ALL 4 video settings PLUS audio if you name your PC or Mac , anything other than a PC or DVI-PC.

Right now , I have my Mac Mini hooked up via one HDMI cable and I am getting sound to the F8000 and I am getting 4 video modes ( right now I am using "Movie" mode , I mean right now as I type this ! ) The name I used is DMA ( digital media applicator ! LOL )

So clearly when Samsung`s support told me " No way you can get audio from a PC , even if it is a Mac , to the tv without the use of a separate audio connection".

Well they were wrong , just don`t call a PC ( or Mac ) a PC or PC-DVI.

As the name implies DVI output to F8000 would indeed require a separate audio cable , however as we all know HDMI will carry both A+V.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Now the crap :

I still can not get an audio signal via HDMI from my Pioneer " Elite" DV-79AVi to the F8000. frown.gif

I was on the phone with Pioneer for almost an hour , I changed cables / inputs , I re-set the `79 and nada the option to choose PCM on the menu of the dvd player is grayed out.

If you have a Sony KDL-40XBR2 , ( which I do ) it works ( and sounds ) fine.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

In my opinion the F8000 is the biggest can of worms that was ever produced , back by support from Samsung that does not know it`s "A** from it`s elbow".
And that my friends is the honest truth.

So am I happy !!

No , of course not , however as unhappy as I am , I will admit that so far ( keep in mind it has only been hooked up about 5 hours ) it has one of the best pictures on a tv that I have seen since I calibrated my XBR2 , that tv is 7+ years old and I would gladly challenge any tv in a side by side comparison.

In fact , I might like the picture ( so far ) on the F8000 , but I still think my 7+ yr. old Sony would beat it.
And on top of beating it , it is only a 60Hz tv , not a fancy 1200 , spec`d out to a 240Hz.

At this point I need rest before I decide what to do , just to freak`n tired to lug the Sony for a side-by-side tonight.

Well , I did say quick , and I lied , sorry about that !! tongue.gif

So there it is eek.gif and confused.gif

Later smile.gif

Gary 
post #2841 of 3737 Old 04-30-2013, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Who is your FIOS provider eagle?

I have FIOS tv through Centurly Link "Prism TV".

RMSko stopped his stuttering through turning it to "clear". His was only stuttering evey 10mins...not ever minute like yours. Custom should not cause this much stuttering across the board...very odd.

As far as the tv turning on and off--I HATE it too. When it first happend I though that was how "black" it got but then I realized the tv was off for the last split second!! I wonder if this an energy saving deal??
post #2842 of 3737 Old 04-30-2013, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
How has clouding been? Any vshaped clouding?
post #2843 of 3737 Old 04-30-2013, 05:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 728 Post(s)
Liked: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by adgrimes View Post

Who is your FIOS provider eagle?

I have FIOS tv through Centurly Link "Prism TV".

As far as the tv turning on and off--I HATE it too. When it first happend I though that was how "black" it got but then I realized the tv was off for the last split second!! I wonder if this an energy saving deal??

huh, I thought fios tv was an exclusively verizon thing I guess now when I hear fios I won't assume it's the same as what I have.

The turning off thing: I'm pretty sure they're just trying to boost their full on/full off contrast measurement. Plus, fool casual viewers.
post #2844 of 3737 Old 04-30-2013, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post

huh, I thought fios tv was an exclusively verizon thing I guess now when I hear fios I won't assume it's the same as what I have.

I"ve had AT&T Uverse before to, yep there are quite a few out there now I guess.
post #2845 of 3737 Old 04-30-2013, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

PC Mode:

- PC Mode - 33 ms
- PC Mode - 2nd reading - 17 ms
- PC Mode - 3rd reading - 16 ms
What size F8000 are these numbers from? Those numbers look good. Has anyone tested this TV with the Bodnar lag tester?
post #2846 of 3737 Old 04-30-2013, 07:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Barth2k,
You are correct FiOS is a trademarked term owned by Verizon see link for court judgement.
http://www.adrforum.com/domains/decisions/830994.htm
post #2847 of 3737 Old 04-30-2013, 07:11 PM

Verizon has the rights to FiOS tv? Never knew that. This crap will become all to confusing now then, as at&t has "uverse tv" and century link has "prism tv" ....i mean wtf its all the same tech essentially right?
post #2848 of 3737 Old 04-30-2013, 07:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Hi Guy`s ,

Just a quick up-date + A BIG HINT !

This you already know , Samsung`s tech support does not know there products , at all...

INFORMATION VITAL TO ALL HTPC USERS AND MAC USERS:

You can get ALL 4 video settings PLUS audio if you name your PC or Mac , anything other than a PC or DVI-PC.

Right now , I have my Mac Mini hooked up via one HDMI cable and I am getting sound to the F8000 and I am getting 4 video modes ( right now I am using "Movie" mode , I mean right now as I type this ! ) The name I used is DMA ( digital media applicator ! LOL )

So clearly when Samsung`s support told me " No way you can get audio from a PC , even if it is a Mac , to the tv without the use of a separate audio connection".

Well they were wrong , just don`t call a PC ( or Mac ) a PC or PC-DVI.

As the name implies DVI output to F8000 would indeed require a separate audio cable , however as we all know HDMI will carry both A+V.

Now the crap :

I still can not get an audio signal via HDMI from my Pioneer " Elite" DV-79AVi to the F8000. frown.gif

I was on the phone with Pioneer for almost an hour , I changed cables / inputs , I re-set the `79 and nada the option to choose PCM on the menu of the dvd player is grayed out.

If you have a Sony KDL-40XBR2 , ( which I do ) it works ( and sounds ) fine.

In my opinion the F8000 is the biggest can of worms that was ever produced , back by support from Samsung that does not know it`s "A** from it`s elbow".
And that my friends is the honest truth.

So am I happy !!

No , of course not , however as unhappy as I am , I will admit that so far ( keep in mind it has only been hooked up about 5 hours ) it has one of the best pictures on a tv that I have seen since I calibrated my XBR2 , that tv is 7+ years old and I would gladly challenge any tv in a side by side comparison.

In fact , I might like the picture ( so far ) on the F8000 , but I still think my 7+ yr. old Sony would beat it.
And on top of beating it , it is only a 60Hz tv , not a fancy 1200 , spec`d out to a 240Hz.

At this point I need rest before I decide what to do , just to freak`n tired to lug the Sony for a side-by-side tonight.

Well , I did say quick , and I lied , sorry about that !! tongue.gif

So there it is eek.gif and confused.gif

Later smile.gif

Gary 

I'm confused. So Samsung told you there was no way to get audio to the tv from a PC over HDMI without a separate audio cable? They're full of it. My PC is connected by only 1 cable - HDMI into my receiver, then from the receiver out HDMI to the tv's ARC HDMI input. Connected like that, I get full 5.1 or 7.1 surround from my PC through my receiver, and I also get audio over my tv speakers as well. And I have not named anything different. I can select any of the 4 picture modes, or I can select "PC Mode", and either way I get audio fine through my HDMI cable. Like you said, HDMI carries audio and video. Apparently the geniuses at Samsung don't realize that. It must not be on their script when you call tech support.

So you can't get any audio from your receiver over HDMI through the tv speakers? Do you have the receiver HDMI connected via HDMI 3? That's the ARC input, and that may be what you need. I use HDMI 3 for my receiver and I can turn my receiver volume down and get audio over the tv speakers if I choose.

I agree Samsung tech support is garbage. They never improve either. They clearly have no understanding of their own products. Compare that to a company like EVGA who have been very helpful to me in the past with Nvidia video card issues, and Yamaha, who seem to know their receivers quite well.
post #2849 of 3737 Old 04-30-2013, 07:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well I watched Deep Blue Sea tonight on Blu-ray (just picked it up as a Samuel L. Jackson triple feature blu-ray). I am quite disappointed with the black levels on this set, I gotta say. The CinemaScope bars are very disappointing. All the way through the film the bars look greyish-black. That's with standard mode adjusted with the AVS and WOW discs, and backlight on 10, with no image processing other than Dynamic Contrast on low.

It seems the only way to get darker blacks on this set is to use Cinema Black and SMART LED and Black Tone, all of which do more harm than good to the image. All their promises for great black levels are all entirely reliant on dimming tricks. So you have a choice of a stable image, and disappointing black levels, or an image that's being dimmed constantly, but somewhat improved blacks. Not a great choice. And again tonight this screen turning off with black fades - ugh.

Yeah, the image can be impressive - but with all the annoyances, and the stuttering issues with AMP - I keep asking myself - is it worth the cost?
post #2850 of 3737 Old 04-30-2013, 07:43 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Guess what. I have an HX950 and they use tricks as well. The backlit LED's and their dimming technology result in horrible halo's of light when a 'bright' object is placed on a black background. Perfect examples would be a stary sky or a scene with lots of candles. I had both scenes in the last 24hrs on my HX950 and it resulted in horrendous blooming that destroyed the pictures and turned all the blacks grey. Scenes were during Vikings and a movie. I have backlight turned all the way down to 2 on the 950. I can also tell you that the picture is no where near as sharp as my es8000.

Pro's of the 950 are great blacks when the scene is setup just right. Generally good uniformity, again if the scene is setup right (i.e. no objects to result in blooming). And generally great color and white levels.

I'm thinkig of swapping to the F8000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Led Hdtv , Sony Bravia Xbr65hx929 65 Inch 1080p 3d Local Dimming Led Hdtv With Built In Wifi Black , Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55b8500 , Samsung 55 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv Un55f8000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page