AVS Forum banner
485K views 4K replies 328 participants last post by  Komaga 
#1 ·
See less See more
#3 ·
On the other hand, the 85" 4K set has this heinous frame thing around it. They are calling it "beautiful" at the Samsung presser. I guess that's Korean for "your wife will hate it as will you."

The TV itself, though, looks nice. I expect $20-25K on that one.

The F8000, however, ought to be similar to the ES series pricing.

#7 ·
from hdguru
Code:
Code:
[CODE]The 2013 Samsung flagship F8000 series features edge-lit LED LCD 240Hz refresh panel with local dimming. 

Additional new features include Micro Dimming Ultimate which analyzes each video frame in real time and eliminates “halos” around bright areas such as white titles on a black background.
[/CODE]

from cnet
Code:
Code:
[CODE]The company claims the microdimming system eliminates blooming effects and its Precision Black algorithm can control black levels in discrete zones without affecting light areas of the picture.
[/CODE]

"halos" and "blooming" are typical problem that comes from an "hardware" local dimming

so if samsung include an algorithm that can eliminate this effects may be this year the microdimming is not only a software

#8 ·
Bah, Cnet got it wrong?

I should be clear on something. Samsung has, for several years, claimed you can do local dimming with edge lighting. You cannot. You can do some very crude zoning at 2 times the number of LEDs you have maximum.

And when I say, "you cannot", I mean, "you cannot", It's not possible. It's not like they have some technology that changes physics. You get a maximum zone control of rectangular zones that go halfway across the screen and are in no greater number than the number of discrete LEDs you can control.

They can continue to hype this as something more -- they do it every year quite frankly -- but if it's again "edge lit precision microdimming" it's no revolution and I've wasted everyone's time getting excited based on Cnet's report.

#9 ·
Just read that the F is getting the "Cinema Black" which should help with the clouding in the corners. Not sure how accurate this is since its the only review site I've seen that mentions this. But they are calling it their "new" Cinema black. I gotta hand it to Samsung for their marketing though. Every year they say their 8000 series will have 10% better blacks and 20 to 30 % better picture quality.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/samsung-ue60f8000_TV_review

#12 ·
LG's OLED is 2K, so anyway.

And let's be clear, Sony is coming out with a 4K full-array LCD this year. I suspect the 55" will be significantly cheaper than $12k and even the 65" ought to be far cheaper as well.

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo  /t/1450305/samsung-f8000-series-full-array-local-dimming-led-sets#post_22813087

LG's OLED is 2K, so anyway.

And let's be clear, Sony is coming out with a 4K full-array LCD this year. I suspect the 55" will be significantly cheaper than $12k and even the 65" ought to be far cheaper as well.

I didn't know Sony was coming out with a 4k Full array. What I was trying to say was if there's only a $3K difference between a 4K and a OLED, I think I would rather buy the OLED.

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony5362  /t/1450305/samsung-f8000-series-full-array-local-dimming-led-sets#post_22813407

This year is really confusing. I read a report that the Samsung F8000 will have a new feature called "Cinema black" which isn't new since its on my 2011 D8000. Then another report I read says its finally getting Micro-Dimming, which supposedly my 2012 ES8000 has. Very confused..

http://www.trustedreviews.com/samsung-ue60f8000_TV_review

The 75ES9000 has:

Micro Dimming Ultimate and Precision Black Local Dimming, Cinema black too.

Question is what is the difference between the 75ES9000 vs 75F8000

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekindrewind  /t/1450305/samsung-f8000-series-full-array-local-dimming-led-sets#post_22813538

The 75ES9000 has:

Micro Dimming Ultimate and Precision Black Local Dimming, Cinema black too.

Question is what is the difference between the 75ES9000 vs 75F8000

That's right. Forgot about the 75' ES9000 having the same features as the D8000 LED. Not sure why they are calling it a "new" feature.

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony5362  /t/1450305/samsung-f8000-series-full-array-local-dimming-led-sets#post_22814586

Someone from Flatpanelshd.com just confirmed that the Evo kit will NOT improve picture quality for the 2012 models. Its under the comments section for anyone interested in seeing it.

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1357605570

Samsung surely is making things confusing.

Here is an example.

From the link above I've copied this...

"Samsung has revealed the new 2013 LED line-up. F8000 is the new flagship but Samsung also plans to launch new F7500 and F7000 models and new cheaper 6, 5 and 4 series. F8000 has a quad-core processor."

If the 2013 F8000 is the new flagship, then what is going to happen to the current flagship 2012 75ES9000?

Maybe the price will be reduced on the 75ES9000 when the 75F8000 comes out. And then it may be discontinued? Or it maybe keep in their line as the flagship flagship...lol

#21 ·
They truly are.. Last year at CES, the 75" was a 75" ES8000. They didn't show a ES9000 from what I can remember. They had a ES9500, but that was the OLED. Then after the show, they announced this ES9000 in the 75" but no 75" ES8000 like they showed off. Oh yea, and the price they said for the 75" ES8000 was supposed to be $7K.

#24 ·
I just realized something about Samsung's TVs. They seem to release the good ones every other year. First was the "A" series which was ok. Then the "B" series which was amazing because one had a "Full Array" backlight, then the "C" which was ok, then the "D" which was amazing which had the hardware for the dimming, then the "ES" which is ok but didn't have the hardware for dimming, and now the "F" which has the hardware for dimming again? Every other year they seem to bring the "local Dimming" back..

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony5362  /t/1450305/samsung-f8000-series-full-array-local-dimming-led-sets#post_22817952

I just realized something about Samsung's TVs. They seem to release the good ones every other year. First was the "A" series which was ok. Then the "B" series which was amazing because one had a "Full Array" backlight, then the "C" which was ok, then the "D" which was amazing which had the hardware for the dimming, then the "ES" which is ok but didn't have the hardware for dimming, and now the "F" which has the hardware for dimming again? Every other year they seem to bring the "local Dimming" back..

The A Series was the best...I used to own an A850.

The B Series had the full-array LED B8500.

The C Series had the outstanding C650.

The D Series had??

The ES Series has the exceptional ES8000.

#26 ·
I was talking more about the hardware for the dimming. Yes, I remember the A850 and it was sweet. I can't remember though if that one had "local Dimming" or not. I remember the C8000 wasn't that great. Especially the 3D. Then came the D8000 which was a lot better than the C8000 and then the ES8000 seems like a step back because it doesn't have the "cinema black" or "Smart LED" that the D has and now their bringing back the "cinema black" with the new F8000

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.