Official 2013 Sharp LC-XXLE857 Series Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 859 Old 07-08-2013, 12:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This will be my first post, even though I have been vigorously searching receivers, TVs, and other electronics of interest on this site. I ended up purchasing this TV at ABT. Their price was listed at $2849.00. The salesman I was working with took 4% off bringing the price down to $2735.04. He also gave us two free pairs of 3D glasses ($100 instant rebate) with $60 off a TV stand ($10 discount + $50 instant rebate). Today I came across Buydig's website and saw the TV priced at $2639.00 with a free Flat and Tilt Mount. I decided to chat with one of ABT's online representative. He said that the site was not an authorized dealer, but he would offer me the discounted rate as a one time offer. On another note, initial reaction was good. I have the TV setup with wireless N and Netflix loads up pretty quickly. The picture quality of my HTPC was beautiful, but I believe the Nvidia control panel settings helped with that. Unfortunately cable looked dark, and I had issues with ARC using Netflix. I read that HDMI 1 should be used, so I'll try that after work. Also I'll try the calibration recommendations posted in this thread. Thanks for all of the information!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 859 Old 07-09-2013, 12:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nextbeat View Post

This will be my first post, even though I have been vigorously searching receivers, TVs, and other electronics of interest on this site. I ended up purchasing this TV at ABT. Their price was listed at $2849.00. The salesman I was working with took 4% off bringing the price down to $2735.04. He also gave us two free pairs of 3D glasses ($100 instant rebate) with $60 off a TV stand ($10 discount + $50 instant rebate). Today I came across Buydig's website and saw the TV priced at $2639.00 with a free Flat and Tilt Mount. I decided to chat with one of ABT's online representative. He said that the site was not an authorized dealer, but he would offer me the discounted rate as a one time offer. On another note, initial reaction was good. I have the TV setup with wireless N and Netflix loads up pretty quickly. The picture quality of my HTPC was beautiful, but I believe the Nvidia control panel settings helped with that. Unfortunately cable looked dark, and I had issues with ARC using Netflix. I read that HDMI 1 should be used, so I'll try that after work. Also I'll try the calibration recommendations posted in this thread. Thanks for all of the information!

Welcome to the forum as a participant. I hope you enjoy the TV.

Robbin
post #273 of 859 Old 07-09-2013, 01:00 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
anyone can share 3 digit system code?
post #274 of 859 Old 07-09-2013, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbinMerritt View Post

Welcome to the forum as a participant. I hope you enjoy the TV.

Thanks for the greetings. I need help setting up the 3D glasses. Does anyone know how to sync them properly. The instructions are vague and nonspecific. Also, Google doesn't really yield promising results. The only semi-instructions I could find were 3D glasses pertaining to Samsung TVs. I tried unplugging the TV for more than a minute and also tried removing the battery from the glasses. I couldn't get either pair to sync. I believe it's safe to assume that bluetooth is always on; as there was no option to turn it on or off. The only other setting I could find regarded pairing keyboard and mouse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikek753 View Post

anyone can share 3 digit system code?

Unfortunately I am not familiar with such a code, but this may help:

http://*******/kHj59
post #275 of 859 Old 07-10-2013, 07:16 AM

Can anybody help me sync the AN-3DG40 bluetooth glasses with the 857U? No matter what I try, they will not sync. It's like the bluetooth is off. I highly doubt all 4 pairs of glasses don't work. ABT and Sharp have no clue how to get them to pair. I would hate having to return this large TV.
post #276 of 859 Old 07-10-2013, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
Quote:

Can anybody help me sync the AN-3DG40 bluetooth glasses with the 857U? No matter what I try, they will not sync. It's like the bluetooth is off. I highly doubt all 4 pairs of glasses don't work. ABT and Sharp have no clue how to get them to pair. I would hate having to return this large TV.

How close are you to the television? This may sound silly, but are you trying to watch a 3D source? Have you tried the built in 3D test on the set? One thing you can try to rule out the TV, is to take your glasses to a Best Buy, if you have one near you, and test to see if you can pair with a Sharp when watching a 3D blu-ray. Your glasses should show up in a list of devices.
post #277 of 859 Old 07-10-2013, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myoda View Post

How close are you to the television? This may sound silly, but are you trying to watch a 3D source? Have you tried the built in 3D test on the set? One thing you can try to rule out the TV, is to take your glasses to a Best Buy, if you have one near you, and test to see if you can pair with a Sharp when watching a 3D blu-ray. Your glasses should show up in a list of devices.

I tried as far as directly close to the TV to 8 ft away. I tried changing the source of the TV to 3D (which prompted me to turn on the glasses), 3D test, and 3D in CoD Black Ops 2 (TV recognized the 3D signal). I'll try to see if I can pair them elsewhere. Thanks for your response. BTW the guy at ABT said to make sure that I used HDMI 1.4. I'm sure that the cord is 1.4 because it supports ARC.
post #278 of 859 Old 07-14-2013, 08:30 PM

Liked: 11
Has anyone experienced the screen dimming and brightening every couple seconds? It's not an all the time thing, it happens sporadically.
post #279 of 859 Old 07-15-2013, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cootmonster View Post

Has anyone experienced the screen dimming and brightening every couple seconds? It's not an all the time thing, it happens sporadically.

Disable OPC in the picture menu and make sure not to use advanced energy savings option. Use standard option instead (should be default).
post #280 of 859 Old 07-15-2013, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Disable OPC in the picture menu and make sure not to use advanced energy savings option. Use standard option instead (should be default).
+1

set in menu for power saving to disable and make sure that for AV mode OPC is disabled as well.
post #281 of 859 Old 07-15-2013, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

+1

set in menu for power saving to disable and make sure that for AV mode OPC is disabled as well.

Also, during initial setup, select HOME instead of STORE.
post #282 of 859 Old 07-16-2013, 10:41 PM

Quote:

+1

Giving these settings a go. So far so good.
mikek753 likes this.
post #283 of 859 Old 07-19-2013, 05:52 PM

Got my 70" 857 about a week ago now. Got it from best buy. Was very satisfied with negotiated price.

Am now working through some of the settings...... I have been very amazed at the picture quality. I have not gotten a blu ray player yet. Will be doing that in the next week or so. I am also planning to have best buy come out and do my calibration. Hopefully that will help with some of these settings.

The one thing that I have noticed is that there have been occasions where the lips are out of sync.... My quick research on this shows that it is a ongoing problem with flat panels.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Has anyone come up with solutions for this problem?

I have also read that the later version of HDMI (ver 1.3) supports lip sync. Can this help???
post #284 of 859 Old 07-23-2013, 12:39 AM

Got my 70" a couple days ago. I like everything of it but viewing angles. I think Sharp made a new firmware update that hides the flashlight issue when nothing connected to hdmi. I can see some on a screen for a second when change hdmi input but then it goes quickly to black. Some pics here https://picasaweb.google.com/110497329571298881188/SharpLC70LE857U?authkey=Gv1sRgCOXc_cqVzZ-7bA#
post #285 of 859 Old 07-23-2013, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiasur View Post

Got my 70" a couple days ago. I like everything of it but viewing angles. I think Sharp made a new firmware update that hides the flashlight issue when nothing connected to hdmi. I can see some on a screen for a second when change hdmi input but then it goes quickly to black. Some pics here https://picasaweb.google.com/110497329571298881188/SharpLC70LE857U?authkey=Gv1sRgCOXc_cqVzZ-7bA#

Nice shirt tiasur! Your flashlighting is actually normal for that panel. Off axis viewing angle issues are normal for LED televisions, even the Elite televisions have the same problem. Good pics.
post #286 of 859 Old 07-23-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myoda View Post

Nice shirt tiasur!
Thanks smile.gif I bought it on Jamaica two years ago but now it is same hot here as it was then there.
post #287 of 859 Old 07-23-2013, 07:30 PM

My LC-80LE857U was just delivered today.. This is a replacement for my LC-70LE735U (which is full array).

I can honestly say that I don't notice a difference in picture quality/brightness between this new edge-lit 80" and my previous full-array 70".. there are no dim spots/blotches/clouding/etc. I was worried about this after hearing some of the anti-edge-lit reviews on the forums, but I'm happy to say I don't see anything wrong with this new set.. very happy so far.

This 80" seems much heavier than the 70". I'm using it on its stand for now, but plan to wall-mount it soon.

I will have this new set professionally calibrated within the next few weeks, but for now, I used the suggested general settings on page 8 of this thread which looks pretty good. The menu response is much faster than my old set.. I haven't tried the new bluetooth 3D glasses yet as we aren't big fans of 3D (gives me headaches).. I was a bit worried that this wouldn't "feel" significantly bigger than my 70", but it definitely does feel quite a bit larger.. I sit about 12ft away and notice a significant difference in screen size from this distance.

Looking forward to getting this set calibrated.
post #288 of 859 Old 07-23-2013, 10:41 PM

Congrats Brettcp!!! I just got my 70" a couple of weeks ago. Would have loved to get the 80", but my wife could barely tolerate the cost of the 70........ I too plan to get mine calibrated in the next few weeks (free from best buy). I assume you have not had a chance to check out smart central yet???

Does anyone know if there is a way to add new channels to smart central? (Crackle channel for example). On my Roku you can add all sorts of channels. Is there a way to add more to Sharp TV's?
post #289 of 859 Old 07-24-2013, 04:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettcp View Post

My LC-80LE857U was just delivered today.. This is a replacement for my LC-70LE735U (which is full array).

I can honestly say that I don't notice a difference in picture quality/brightness between this new edge-lit 80" and my previous full-array 70".. there are no dim spots/blotches/clouding/etc. I was worried about this after hearing some of the anti-edge-lit reviews on the forums, but I'm happy to say I don't see anything wrong with this new set.. very happy so far.

This 80" seems much heavier than the 70". I'm using it on its stand for now, but plan to wall-mount it soon.

I will have this new set professionally calibrated within the next few weeks, but for now, I used the suggested general settings on page 8 of this thread which looks pretty good. The menu response is much faster than my old set.. I haven't tried the new bluetooth 3D glasses yet as we aren't big fans of 3D (gives me headaches).. I was a bit worried that this wouldn't "feel" significantly bigger than my 70", but it definitely does feel quite a bit larger.. I sit about 12ft away and notice a significant difference in screen size from this distance.

Looking forward to getting this set calibrated.

Welcome to the 80" club! In the end, it's your experience, not what people (including me) write in the forum that counts. I did see some differences initially but I can't remember the last time I noticed them.

I did buy a few movies in 3D just to try the technology. I don't think 3D is adding any value. For Avatar, which has both 3D and traditional 2D background blurring, I find it to be distracting.

Robbin
post #290 of 859 Old 07-24-2013, 01:44 PM

Well, I just got out of a chat with Sharp. Asked them about the lip sync problem. Here is their recommended fix:

AV mode - Dynamic
Film mode - off
Color Temp - Low
Active Contrast - off
Motion Enhancement - off
Digital Noise Reduction - off

Unplug both the TV and the source so they can 're-sync' with the new settings.

Clearly they want to turn off all video processing so there is less opportunity for the audio to get out of sync. However, this is very disappointing to the consumer who pays large amounts of money for a TV that has all of these features that are rendered useless if you want your audio/video to be in sync. Very disturbing... I just wonder how Samsung and other LCD TVs deal with this problem?? Is this just a Sharp defeciency???
post #291 of 859 Old 07-24-2013, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceEngr View Post

Well, I just got out of a chat with Sharp. Asked them about the lip sync problem. Here is their recommended fix:

AV mode - Dynamic
Film mode - off
Color Temp - Low
Active Contrast - off
Motion Enhancement - off

Clearly they want to turn off all video processing so there is less opportunity for the audio to get out of sync. However, this is very disappointing to the consumer who pays large amounts of money for a TV that has all of these features that are rendered useless if you want your audio/video to be in sync. Very disturbing... I just wonder how Samsung and other LCD TVs deal with this problem?? Is this just a Sharp defeciency???

I think the agent you were talking to is clueless. Are you running your source through a receiver? And, are you having this issue with all sources? I can't see how putting the set into Dynamic mode would help with audio sync issues. Please provide more data as far as your system configuration. There is no way to add more applications to Smart Central - unless Sharp decides to provide them in a firmware upgrade.
post #292 of 859 Old 07-24-2013, 03:00 PM

myoda, thanks for your reply. This is a interesting subject to me. No, I was not running the audio through a receiver (yet). When the problem occured the configuration was very simple. The output of the HD cable box directly into the TV HDMI 1 port. Using TV speakers.... Have not had this problem when watching DVD's... only on occasion when watching from the cable box.
post #293 of 859 Old 07-24-2013, 03:10 PM

Also interesting (disappointing) that Sharp is not including any of the currently available free movie channels in Smart Central (Crackle, PopcornFlix, Epix, TWC TV and others), just the pay channels.....
post #294 of 859 Old 07-24-2013, 05:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

AV mode - Dynamic
Film mode - off
Color Temp - Low
Active Contrast - off
Motion Enhancement - off

Unplug both the TV and the source so they can 're-sync' with the new settings.

I would not recommend AV mode of Dynamic. It makes the screen too bright and hides many of the controls you need to properly tune the set. I would think that using Movie mode with all the options turned off would offer the same result. In theory Game mode does the least processing.

Robbin
post #295 of 859 Old 07-25-2013, 02:47 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

No, I was not running the audio through a receiver (yet). When the problem occured the configuration was very simple. The output of the HD cable box directly into the TV HDMI 1 port. Using TV speakers.... Have not had this problem when watching DVD's... only on occasion when watching from the cable box.

My provider is DirecTV, and I see the lack of audio sync from time to time. The connection is direct HDMI to the TV. Interestingly, if I route the sound via my Sony A/V unit, then video and sound sync up properly.

Also, I've noted that switching the channel that's out of sync to another channel, and then coming back, solves the problem.

I don't think it has anything to do with the video or audio settings, otherwise it would be affected all the time. There's a problem, for sure, but Sharp engineers have not discovered the cause as yet.

I just received an over-the-air update, so we'll see what happens.
post #296 of 859 Old 07-25-2013, 03:05 PM

Georgecortes, great input. I have also discovered that if I change channels and come back that the TV is able to 're-sync'. I also believe that Sharp has a problem they are not admitting to. My research on the subject says that it is a inherent problem with LCD tv's (heavy video processing creates latency). The question is, do other suppliers (Samsung, Sony, etc) have the same problem? Or is the problem just noticibly worse with Sharp?

When did you receive your update?? I will have to check my tv to see when my last update was........
post #297 of 859 Old 07-25-2013, 03:12 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

When did you receive your update?? I will have to check my tv to see when my last update was........

My LC-70LE857 was updated today, 7/25, at 12:45 pm, Central Time.

They added a couple of apps but that's all that's obvious. I was hoping they would add Amazon Prime TV, but they didn't. I've asked them if and when I can expect Amazon, but I don't have an answer yet. All other major brands of smart TVs are compatible.
post #298 of 859 Old 07-25-2013, 06:07 PM

Yes, I wan them to add some of the free movie channels (Crackle, PopcornFlix, Epix, TWC TV and others) !!!
post #299 of 859 Old 07-25-2013, 11:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, I wan them to add some of the free movie channels (Crackle, PopcornFlix, Epix, TWC TV and others) !!!

If you need more apps, I'd suggest picking up a roku box, or a wdtv live device. Usually the navigating the menus and apps on a standalone box is faster than trying to do the same thing of a TV. The selection is much better also. I doubt Sharp will be adding additional apps anytime soon. Probably next year after CES.
post #300 of 859 Old 07-26-2013, 09:37 AM

I have a Roku, that is why I am familiar with the other Apss. Will also be adding a Sony Blu Ray, which also has more apps (including Crackle). I just find it surprising that Sharp does not have more apps or a way for the user to add them. When you buy a new TV like this, you dont expect to have to add other hardware (a Roku) to make it have the features it should already have..........
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp He Lc 70le857u 70 Inch 3d Smart Led Tv , Sharp 80 Inch Full Hd Aquos Led Smart Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page