Official 2013 Sharp LC-XXLE857 Series Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 852 Old 08-04-2013, 09:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
should have posted this question here rather than starting another thread a few days back.. just got the 80in 857... this is my first 3D TV.. got a new Samsung DVD player plus a new denon 3000 to go with it as well.. I had to return the first TV as the glasses would not pair with the tv, issue with the Bluetooth which by looking at other threads seems to not be uncommon.. anyhow when watching a 3D movie especially avatar the back ground is so blurry it makes it hard on the eye's. foreground very sharp and clear but the back ground makes it very distracting.. would appreciate any thoughts.. other than that it's a great unit, normal pictures are really nice.. I upgraded from a sharp 70 non 3D and can certainly see an improvement in picture quality..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 852 Old 08-04-2013, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy52 View Post

should have posted this question here rather than starting another thread a few days back.. just got the 80in 857... this is my first 3D TV.. got a new Samsung DVD player plus a new denon 3000 to go with it as well.. I had to return the first TV as the glasses would not pair with the tv, issue with the Bluetooth which by looking at other threads seems to not be uncommon.. anyhow when watching a 3D movie especially avatar the back ground is so blurry it makes it hard on the eye's. foreground very sharp and clear but the back ground makes it very distracting.. would appreciate any thoughts.. other than that it's a great unit, normal pictures are really nice.. I upgraded from a sharp 70 non 3D and can certainly see an improvement in picture quality..

It's not the TV. It's the movie. I've noticed this issue with Avatar myself. I'm not an expert but here's my theory. In 2D movies, the film maker controls Depth of Field to make the people/objects you should be looking at in focus and the background is out of focus by contrast. In "classic" 3D films, they always had "infinite DoF" such that everything is in focus and the 3D technique is used to direct your eye. It appears to me that Avatar (and some other newer 3D films) use both 3D and DoF at the same time. So you get a 3D foreground object but a blurry background.

Robbin
post #363 of 852 Old 08-04-2013, 11:45 PM

thanks for the input.. I can understand what your saying and can see where it can be an issue.. I was trying to think about when I saw avatar in the theater in 3D and don't remember as that being an issue.. based on what your saying is there a difference between a TV versus a movie screen? the other movie I have in 3D is cars2.. it has a similar issue but certainly not as bad as avatar..
post #364 of 852 Old 08-05-2013, 04:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy52 View Post

thanks for the input.. I can understand what your saying and can see where it can be an issue.. I was trying to think about when I saw avatar in the theater in 3D and don't remember as that being an issue.. based on what your saying is there a difference between a TV versus a movie screen? the other movie I have in 3D is cars2.. it has a similar issue but certainly not as bad as avatar..

The theater version could be different, but in this case I doubt it. I suspect that if we went back to see Avatar in a theater again we would see the same thing. Maybe active technology 3D (theaters are passive) makes the blurring more visible? Hard to say.

If you are still within you return period, you can return the set if you aren't happy with the 3D performance. You could take the disc into a local store and ask them to play it on some other TVs and see if those look better to you.

Robbin
post #365 of 852 Old 08-05-2013, 08:40 AM

this isn't a deal breaker for me as I doubt I'll watch much 3D.. the regular viewing is still head and shoulders over the 70 I had previously it's worth the price of admission.. another issue that has me baffled and I haven't figured out a solution yet (if there is one) I downloaded the "sharp beam" app to my i phone and when viewing my pictures from my camera roll some have correct orientation and others are sideways.. this happens regardless which orientation the picture was taken in... 100% of my pictures are taken with the phone vertically and 50% display in a 90 degree rotation...
post #366 of 852 Old 08-05-2013, 09:48 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbinMerritt View Post

I had uploaded some settings a while back but deleted them due to a red push problem. Now that I figured out that the 240HZ motion enhancement was the cause of my red problem, I've re calibrated and I'm pretty comfortable with these settings:

OPC: off
Backlight: -10 (night) STD (day)
Contrast: +30
Brightness: -2
Color: 0
Tint: 0
Sharpness: +1
CMS – Hue: R0 Y+1 G-7 C-4 B+8 M-2
CMS – Sat: R-1 Y-2 G-5 C0 B0 M-5
CMS – Value: R+2 Y0 G-6 C0 B+3 M0
Gamut Range: Standard
Color Temp: Low
Color Temp Values: RL+24 GL0 BL-21 RH+17 GH0 BH-11
Motion Enhancement: 120High (beware of the 240Hz setting. Never use that setting if you want a successful calibration)
Quad Pixel Plus 2: Advanced
Active Contrast: Off
Gamma: -1
Film Mode: off
Digital Noise Reduction: off

As always, your mileage WILL vary.

Would I use the same settings for "Movie 3D"

Tried scheduling the Best Buy Premier Silver free calibration but was told to schedule the appointment after I had 100 hours on the set
post #367 of 852 Old 08-05-2013, 10:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertoburn View Post

Would I use the same settings for "Movie 3D"

Tried scheduling the Best Buy Premier Silver free calibration but was told to schedule the appointment after I had 100 hours on the set

I use the same settings for Movie and Movie 3D, with the exception of Film mode. I have it set to Advanced as a 3D movie is the one time I want to see all the blur smoothed out.

That 100 hour thing is a good idea for a Plasma but there's no point for an LED based LCD. I've near read that a LED needs to burn in.

Robbin
post #368 of 852 Old 08-05-2013, 11:28 PM

Quote:

I use the same settings for Movie and Movie 3D, with the exception of Film mode. I have it set to Advanced as a 3D movie is the one time I want to see all the blur smoothed out.

That 100 hour thing is a good idea for a Plasma but there's no point for an LED based LCD. I've near read that a LED needs to burn in.

Thanks again! What settings do you use for "3D Brightness Boost"

When setting the motion enhancement to 120 High is the tv still using 240 refresh rate or just 120?

Is there a way to sort artists in Pandora from A-Z? I believe the default is sort by date channels added
post #369 of 852 Old 08-06-2013, 04:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks again! What settings do you use for "3D Brightness Boost"

When setting the motion enhancement to 120 High is the tv still using 240 refresh rate or just 120?

Is there a way to sort artists in Pandora from A-Z? I believe the default is sort by date channels added

3D Brightness boast is Medium.

I don't know how the motion enhancement affects actual panel refresh rate.

I don't use Pandora on the TV.

Robbin
post #370 of 852 Old 08-06-2013, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Odd problem... Apps based...

When I use Netflix, it works perfectly.

When I use vudu, only picture... No sound. It fails to "ignite" the arc for some reason so I only get video.

Any thoughts?

Play nice. It's just an online forum :)
post #371 of 852 Old 08-06-2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wired1 View Post

Odd problem... Apps based...

When I use Netflix, it works perfectly.

When I use vudu, only picture... No sound. It fails to "ignite" the arc for some reason so I only get video.

Any thoughts?

Experiencing the same issue
post #372 of 852 Old 08-06-2013, 03:39 PM

Quote:

Sorry for all the questions!!! But I do appreciate the help. What level is your "ADVANCED" set at? I believe the default is "+7" also is your 3D Deph Control set at "AUTO" I also believe the default was manual. Thanks again.
post #373 of 852 Old 08-06-2013, 06:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sorry for all the questions!!! But I do appreciate the help. What level is your "ADVANCED" set at? I believe the default is "+7" also is your 3D Deph Control set at "AUTO" I also believe the default was manual. Thanks again.

No problem. I had forgotten that there was an adjustment in the Film Mode. I'm using the default value of +7. I've never adjusted this control. I just left Film mode as it was when I got the set.

My 3D depth control is set to auto. I also keep 3D Auto Change set to OFF when not watching 3D as the set will randomly switch itself into 3D mode for no reason when it's set to anything other than off. When I'm ready to watch 3D, I set the Auto Change to Mode 2 so it will pick up 3D mode as the player turns 3D mode on and off several times while the disc goes through the trailers and such to get to the actual movie.

I also set the Viewing Time Info to OFF so that the set won't remind me every hour that I'm ruining my eyes. One has to be suspect of any technology in which the manufacturer feels the need to remind you how long you've been watching it.

Robbin
post #374 of 852 Old 08-06-2013, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member

If others have the same issue, maybe it's an APP issue and needs an update...

post #375 of 852 Old 08-06-2013, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Wired1 when do u plan on sharing your Calibration settings. If willing would really appreciate it. Thanks
post #376 of 852 Old 08-06-2013, 09:12 PM

The Sharp apps are now working. The TV was hung on the wall and I think the act of unplugging, then replugging the TV made the difference.
post #377 of 852 Old 08-06-2013, 09:15 PM

I agree. Thanks for posting.
post #378 of 852 Old 08-06-2013, 09:19 PM

Quote:

Thanks for posting your settings!!! The tv absolutely looks great with them! I had tried settings from another site and it made the colors overly yellow

I agree. Thanks for posting. (Still getting used to the forum.)
post #379 of 852 Old 08-07-2013, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

I am emailing geek squad to send me them smile.gif

When they do, I will post!
planemechfrito likes this.

post #380 of 852 Old 08-08-2013, 08:16 PM

Liked: 12
Wired1, you got your Geek Squad calibration??? Did you see a large improvement in your picture?? Did you get a print out of the settings??

I am supposed to have Geek Squad do my calibration in 2 weeks. Hope it comes out good....?
planemechfrito likes this.
post #381 of 852 Old 08-08-2013, 09:39 PM
Advanced Member

hi all,

About 3D
No this TV isn't as good as Sony XBR for 3D, while it's better vs prev year 844
3D wow factor goes away in weeks ...

The Film mode is subjective, I use to turn it off as I don't like artifacts that comes with it, however on another side it makes some content smoother or less flickery.
If in content a lot of moving parts (action) then try Film off
for more static (opera) turn it on to see every hairs on a head at full screen
It's good to have options.
post #382 of 852 Old 08-09-2013, 03:32 PM

Is there anyone who has a chance to compare 857 with Sharp Elite side by side?
post #383 of 852 Old 08-09-2013, 03:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiasur View Post

Is there anyone who has a chance to compare 857 with Sharp Elite side by side?
yes, I watched Elite 70" and 80" 857

those two are diff.
Elite 70" has better PQ with LD, but it's too reflective at day time.
if you plan to watch in complete darkens just get plasma.
main cons for 857 is Edge-lit

how do you plan to use it?
post #384 of 852 Old 08-09-2013, 04:05 PM

mikek753
I do use it as normal TV in my living room and my main cons for 857 is viewing angles but it is not too bad. There is no plasma of such size and I replaced my 55VT60 with 857 70" after month of having it. Plasma gets hot and too reflective in my room. I like 857 better.
I know that Elite has LD and so it has better blacks but is there anything else which you like better in Elite? I think that the panel itself (and everything else but lack of LD) is better in 857 as it has latest technology but I never seen Sharp Elite and can be totally wrong.
post #385 of 852 Old 08-09-2013, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

mikek753
I do use it as normal TV in my living room and my main cons for 857 is viewing angles but it is not too bad. There is no plasma of such size and I replaced my 55VT60 with 857 70" after month of having it. Plasma gets hot and too reflective in my room. I like 857 better.
I know that Elite has LD and so it has better blacks but is there anything else which you like better in Elite? I think that the panel itself (and everything else but lack of LD) is better in 857 as it has latest technology but I never seen Sharp Elite and can be totally wrong.

Elite and 857 are two diff animals
BTW - Elite 60" and 70" were discontinued, rumor Elite 4k might come later
Elite viewing angle is much narrow vs Edge lit 857, to get benefit of Elite you have to be in dark room and in dead center position
Elite is reflective as well.
For sure take a look at Elite in person before order it.
Elite may cost you 2x or even 3x of what 70" 857 costs
I went with 857 80" for the size and day use for PC to be able read from screen at 8' away

Elite will be better for uniformity and with LD you'll not see white blobs in dark corners.
post #386 of 852 Old 08-09-2013, 06:20 PM

mikek753, thank you. It seems you just confirmed my thoughts. I do not see blobs in dark corners when watching movies or they negligible. I am OK with blacks in 857 and it has better angles than Elite as you said. I understand that Elite's black uniformity is better but for the real color 857 has no issue. You can see my pics link above. I would like to see Elite somewhere but it does not seem to be possible. I am in Canada and they all gone. I heard Sharp 4K is coming soon this August for $8K but is it new Elite? Anyway there is no 4k content widely available and so no reason to pay for nothing. It is like buy 1080p TV for watching DVD movies. smile.gif
post #387 of 852 Old 08-09-2013, 11:17 PM

My set is near perfect except for a bright spot on the right hand side of the screen. It is barely visible with the lights on but watching in a dark room it is very noticeable & annoying. Rubbing on it with the tv off does seem to be helping. However, during credits or no input there is patches of clouds. The backlight is currently set at STD.
post #388 of 852 Old 08-09-2013, 11:56 PM

Does anybody have a feeling that there is a motion problem? It looks like you see two frames at a time, like a previous one did not have enough time to disappear from the screen. I have both motion enhancement and film modes off but also tried them on at different variations. It still there. I see this on motions of big faces scenes. It is not a judder but similar. Is it me only?
post #389 of 852 Old 08-10-2013, 01:18 AM

Quote:

Does anybody have a feeling that there is a motion problem? It looks like you see two frames at a time, like a previous one did not have enough time to disappear from the screen. I have both motion enhancement and film modes off but also tried them on at different variations. It still there. I see this on motions of big faces scenes. It is not a judder but similar. Is it me only?

I don't notice that on my set. i have film mode off & 120hz high. I do notice that sometimes watching tv shows mainly sitcoms that the actors look like they are moving in slow motion
post #390 of 852 Old 08-10-2013, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

My set is near perfect except for a bright spot on the right hand side of the screen. It is barely visible with the lights on but watching in a dark room it is very noticeable & annoying. Rubbing on it with the tv off does seem to be helping. However, during credits or no input there is patches of clouds. The backlight is currently set at STD.

Return the set and try again. All of these large LCDs tend to have clouding to some degree but you should be able to watch a dark movie scene without it being obvious when watching at night with a small light on in the room. If you are watching without any lights on, you may have to go through a few sets to find one clean enough for that.

The 857 is a very bright TV. At night I set the backlight to -10. That helps a lot with clouding.

Robbin
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp He Lc 70le857u 70 Inch 3d Smart Led Tv , Sharp 80 Inch Full Hd Aquos Led Smart Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page