Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 842 Old 01-02-2014, 03:04 PM
VBB
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I don't think I paid too much attention as to how I was wiping it. Funny thing is, I was just cleaning the screen, so getting rid of the clouding was just a nice side-effect. I had read about that technique before, though. My TV was also on at the time. Probably best to put up a completely black background, so you can see what you're wiping. Good luck.

Henry
Sharp LC-70LE857U
Onkyo HT-RC360
Mede8er MED600X3D

DarbeeVision Darblet DVP-5000

Synology DS1813+

X-Rite i1Display Pro

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 842 Old 01-02-2014, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by VBB View Post

I also experience lip sync issues with OTA, but it seems isolated to only the 720p (ABC, FOX) channels, and not the 1080i (CBS, NBC, CW). The reason is that this line of Sharp TVs (and others from what I've read) doesn't seem to process 60Hz signals properly. Even if you have all motion enhancements turned off the TV still does some processing, which leads to weirdness like sync issues, visual hiccups, slow-motion and speed-ups, dropped frames, whatever you want to call it. This does NOT happen with 1080i and 1080p 24Hz sources. I'm surprised this has never been addressed by Sharp.

I just got my set setup on NY's day. Haven't gotten it calibrated, but the lip sync issue with HD OTA, and regular ol' analog cable is concerning me. Holy smokes Sharp--I smell a coverup. I don't want to call Sharp cause phone tech's never know what they are doing.
post #723 of 842 Old 01-02-2014, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by planemechfrito View Post

Did anyone get a new update yesterday.

Yes, and it's making SmartCentral apps hang/freeze and unresponsive.
post #724 of 842 Old 01-02-2014, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by planemechfrito View Post

Awful, I will never purchase another sharp product again.

I'm having the same thoughts. I paid the same price for a 61" JVC LCOS 8 years ago, and never had any audio sync issues, or blotchiness. I too wonder why they load these TV's with all this bloatware instead of putting all the efforts into the visual side of things like the Elite's were.

What we need is Oppo to make one great killer TV...
post #725 of 842 Old 01-03-2014, 09:38 AM
VBB
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikster View Post

Yes, and it's making SmartCentral apps hang/freeze and unresponsive.

Not sure which update you guys are getting there. The last update was the one in October, 1.52.

Henry
Sharp LC-70LE857U
Onkyo HT-RC360
Mede8er MED600X3D

Synology DS1813+

X-Rite i1Display Pro

post #726 of 842 Old 01-03-2014, 09:50 AM
VBB
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikster View Post

I'm having the same thoughts. I paid the same price for a 61" JVC LCOS 8 years ago, and never had any audio sync issues, or blotchiness. I too wonder why they load these TV's with all this bloatware instead of putting all the efforts into the visual side of things like the Elite's were.

What we need is Oppo to make one great killer TV...

Have you noticed any issues with your new set? Just wondering if yours has any clouding or audio delay.

Henry
Sharp LC-70LE857U
Onkyo HT-RC360
Mede8er MED600X3D

Synology DS1813+

X-Rite i1Display Pro

post #727 of 842 Old 01-03-2014, 10:46 AM

Quote:

Have you noticed any issues with your new set? Just wondering if yours has any clouding or audio delay.

Well, i have minmal clouding on the left side of the set, but it hasn't been calibrated yet. And, when a blu-ray is running, it does look good.

But audio delay--yes indeed. On some channels with my OTA HD broadcast, on some analog cable channels, and on my blu-ray I had to add about 25ms of delay.

M
post #728 of 842 Old 01-03-2014, 11:11 AM

All right, have some time today to give some information about my experience with the 857.

First, I bought the Sharp the week of Black Friday. Initially I set out to look at Samsung televisions given that they are the leader in LCD technology and the deals were just insane. Unfortunately, Samsung was offering deals on the low end televisions and I had certain requirements that they did not meet. First being at least 240hz, second 3D, third a Smart TV.

My reason in those items were several fold. As a computer builder (from time to time), I wanted a TV with some horsepower. At 240hz, it means that they at least put something into the standard processor to make it run better, even though most serious video people turn it off. Second, I wanted a set that was 3D again, for the horsepower. A web browser was a nice addition and means that Netflix doesn't have to be run through an outside source, just a small bonus.

I had also looked at the Panasonic Plasmas (Panasonic TC-P65VT50 65-in 3D Plasma) which, for the sake of full disclosure, blew everything else out of the water. But buying a product that a company will no longer be making bothers me.

In side by side (and I mean that literally) comparison, with a helpful HHGregg sales associate, and a lot of connection switching, LG was just out of the picture with poor processing on even Blu-Ray content. Samsung also had artifacts and a nasty high gloss screen that when viewed from a slight angle in the highly lit store, could further blind Stevie Wonder. Based on price, size (70 inch), the Sharp was the logical buy.

Tips from what I've seen so far.

1)Calibrate the TV properly. Either get it done by a pro (costly) or spend the $30 on Spears and Munsil. I used the S&M approach and it made a massive difference in the TV.

2)Update the HDMI cables. Even though my cables were "good" with 3D bandwidth capability, the connections matter. Look for cables that are rated at least 15-20 Gbps. It made a world of difference and greatly enhanced the picture.

3) The Sharp might suffer from supply side power noise. Perhaps there isn't enough shielding on the inside, or the capacitors aren't that strong on the board. But when connected to a standard power strip vs. a line conditioner, it looked and sounded better.

4) There is clouding as noted in the photos in the forums. I haven't tried the screen wipe technique but it was significantly diminished after cranking down the backlight and properly calibrating the TV. No excuse people, calibrate the TV!

From the Cons perspective there is one issue I have no clue how to fix.

A) Audio-sync issues. Watching high def cable and it will just go out of sync. Happens most often when going to commercials and the video source changes (commercials, especially the lower quality, are not filmed / shot using the same standard and really mess it up). Pausing the DVR will also sometimes cause this issue. While a nuisance, changing the channel and coming back always fixes it. What kills it for me is the Blu-Ray issues. I run Blu-Ray directly from the PS3 to the TV and separate audio to my receiver. The sync issues are bad enough I can't even run my receiver. I have not found a way to fix this. Yes, my Denon is an older receiver with no HDMI (it is 12 years old) and no audio delay. I do want to replace it but $1500 isn't in the cards right now for the ones I am looking at. This is by far the worst issue of the Sharp and I wish they would address it. If anyone has a work around, whether that means running audio out from the TV (haven't tried that yet actually), let me know.

Picture wise, no complaints. Standard def looks fine. High Def, especially football is great (for "real" football i.e. soccer I engage the 240hz, and have no problems). 3D is ridiculously gorgeous (glasses are nice and light too). Sound when in sync is clear though "sharp" literally, on the tinny side. Due to the audio issues I am considering a sound bar, but I want my real system up and running first.

That's about all I have. So far, 1 month in, happy with the purchase.

post #729 of 842 Old 01-03-2014, 01:14 PM
VBB
Advanced Member

Thanks for your review smile.gif

About the only thing you can do to minimize the audio sync issue is to turn off any Motion Enhancement and Film Mode setting. In my experience with this TV, Motion Enhancement, no matter what setting, makes no noticeable difference. Film Mode, on the other hand, is what creates the soap opera effect by setting it to Advanced. Standard is supposed to do proper pulldown without any additional frame interpolation, but I'm not sure what to make of that setting. After plenty of messing around with both Motion Enhancement and Film Mode, I ended up turning the former off and setting the latter to Standard. The result is no soap opera effect, hardly any motion blurring, and super-smooth camera movement when panning/zooming. Audio delay with external sources is at roughly 100ms. OTA audio is only slightly off with progressive channels (720p).

Henry
Sharp LC-70LE857U
Onkyo HT-RC360
Mede8er MED600X3D

Synology DS1813+

X-Rite i1Display Pro

post #730 of 842 Old 01-03-2014, 02:30 PM

I ended up returning my 70" to Microcenter. I got an AMAZING deal on it, but couldn't tolerate the lousy motion, the TV gave me a headache regardless of motion enhancement, film mode, etc settings. I'm looking forward to my 65" Panasonic ZT plasma that will hopefully be just what the doctor ordered...albeit a thousand dollars more than I paid for the 857

post #731 of 842 Old 01-03-2014, 02:40 PM
VBB
Advanced Member

Sorry to hear that. The MC deal was indeed amazing, and the reason I bought this TV in the first place wink.gif

Henry
Sharp LC-70LE857U
Onkyo HT-RC360
Mede8er MED600X3D

Synology DS1813+

X-Rite i1Display Pro

post #732 of 842 Old 01-04-2014, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frost889 View Post

2)Update the HDMI cables. Even though my cables were "good" with 3D bandwidth capability, the connections matter. Look for cables that are rated at least 15-20 Gbps. It made a world of difference and greatly enhanced the picture.

Where did you find HDMI cables rated 20 Gbps?
post #733 of 842 Old 01-04-2014, 04:37 AM

Quote:

Thanks for your review smile.gif

About the only thing you can do to minimize the audio sync issue is to turn off any Motion Enhancement and Film Mode setting. In my experience with this TV, Motion Enhancement, no matter what setting, makes no noticeable difference. Film Mode, on the other hand, is what creates the soap opera effect by setting it to Advanced. Standard is supposed to do proper pulldown without any additional frame interpolation, but I'm not sure what to make of that setting. After plenty of messing around with both Motion Enhancement and Film Mode, I ended up turning the former off and setting the latter to Standard. The result is no soap opera effect, hardly any motion blurring, and super-smooth camera movement when panning/zooming. Audio delay with external sources is at roughly 100ms. OTA audio is only slightly off with progressive channels (720p).

I spoke with Sharp about the audio sync issues. Of course, their first advice was to turn off all motion enhancement, which was already off for me. Their second advice actually helped a little: Don't use HDMI port 1. Every now and then I still get a/v delay that's off by >.5 seconds. Switching the channel off and back fixes it.
post #734 of 842 Old 01-04-2014, 09:53 AM
VBB
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercell View Post

I spoke with Sharp about the audio sync issues. Of course, their first advice was to turn off all motion enhancement, which was already off for me. Their second advice actually helped a little: Don't use HDMI port 1. Every now and then I still get a/v delay that's off by >.5 seconds. Switching the channel off and back fixes it.

Not using HDMI port 1 means no ARC (Audio Return Channel). That's not a good option for those wanting to run only one cable between TV and receiver.

Henry
Sharp LC-70LE857U
Onkyo HT-RC360
Mede8er MED600X3D

Synology DS1813+

X-Rite i1Display Pro

post #735 of 842 Old 01-04-2014, 10:16 AM
VBB
Advanced Member

Some more observations regarding Film Mode:

A 1080p/24fps source plays in 1080p/24 mode. Depending on what Film Mode is set to, you get different results.

Off = slight stutter when panning and zooming
Standard = smooth
Advanced set to 0 (which should be the same as off) = slight stutter when panning and zooming

A 1080p/25fps source plays in 1080p/60 mode, which is normal due to pulldown.

Off = horrible stutter
Standard = horrible stutter
Advanced set to 0 = smooth

Anyone else experience that?

Henry
Sharp LC-70LE857U
Onkyo HT-RC360
Mede8er MED600X3D

Synology DS1813+

X-Rite i1Display Pro

post #736 of 842 Old 01-04-2014, 11:51 AM

Liked: 14
Am I one of the lucky ones to get a flawless set? I have no picture issues (clouding, banding, etc.), used the Disney WOW disc to calibrate my tv, have an old Sony surround sound receiver with no hdmi input, am running digital coaxial from it to my Verizon Fios box and digital optical to my Blu Ray player, am using hdmi 1 on the tv, and I have 0 lip sync issues on any channel. I can use any setting on the tv as well and with no issues. The only lip sync issues I've ever had was with Netflix, but it was an obvious Netflix issue.
post #737 of 842 Old 01-04-2014, 12:07 PM
VBB
Advanced Member

You're probably not looking hard enough biggrin.gif

But seriously, it's good to hear that there are people with no issues.

On a side note, it makes sense you would not experience audio issues since you're not using HDMI ARC, or any audio over HDMI. The issue seems to be mostly with that.

Henry
Sharp LC-70LE857U
Onkyo HT-RC360
Mede8er MED600X3D

Synology DS1813+

X-Rite i1Display Pro

post #738 of 842 Old 01-05-2014, 02:00 PM

Quote:

Not using HDMI port 1 means no ARC (Audio Return Channel). That's not a good option for those wanting to run only one cable between TV and receiver.

It's amazing that Sharp is telling me handle the a/v sync problem by disabling and bypassing all the features they touted with this television. Clearly they know there's a problem but don't know how to handle it.
post #739 of 842 Old 01-06-2014, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercell View Post

It's amazing that Sharp is telling me handle the a/v sync problem by disabling and bypassing all the features they touted with this television. Clearly they know there's a problem but don't know how to handle it.

Exactly. That's why this is so infuriating.
All that 240hz nonsense..and "film" mode. Really--why do they even offer these features if they detract from the picture?
post #740 of 842 Old 01-06-2014, 07:45 PM
VBB
Advanced Member

To be fair, all TVs now have these "features". It's mainly to make them look as good as possible in the store and to cover up flaws in LCD technology.

Henry
Sharp LC-70LE857U
Onkyo HT-RC360
Mede8er MED600X3D

Synology DS1813+

X-Rite i1Display Pro

post #741 of 842 Old 01-07-2014, 04:15 AM

Hello forum!

Going to spend my first post with a little rant..

Im going a little crazy here, i cant calibrate the tv to get the black levels to a acceptably level.

Using AVS HD 709 for the calibration, but i cant achieve good black.. just black/grayish..

Reading the files from an usb stick directly on the tv or from my laptop or htpc. Usb on the tv give me better but still not good blacks.

Had an Sony KDL-nx710 before the sharp and got much better blacks from that set.

Can anybody help me, i must do something fundamentally wrong here.

Didnt catch this until yesterday, i got a stuck pixel on the set. (always on green)

What is Sharps policy on dead/stuck pixels?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6943v6it53dvju6/2014-01-06%2021.16.33.jpg

post #742 of 842 Old 01-07-2014, 04:15 AM

Hello forum!

Im going a little crazy here, i cant calibrate the tv to get the black levels to a acceptably level.

Using AVS HD 709 for the calibration, but i cant achieve good black.. just black/grayish..

Reading the files from an usb stick directly on the tv or from my laptop or htpc. Usb on the tv give me better but still not good blacks.

Had an Sony KDL-nx710 before the sharp and got much better blacks from that set.

Didnt catch this until yesterday, i got a stuck pixel on the set. (always on green)

/Michael

post #743 of 842 Old 01-07-2014, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skajjen View Post

Hello forum!

/Michael

Sharp and other manufacturers won't fix dead pixels or do anything about them unless it's over a certain amount. There is a range they consider "acceptable". I don't think any are acceptable on a new set.
There are a lot of free dead pixel fixers you can download or use online just do a google search and see if you can get it out.
I have a pixel fixer on the DIsney WOW disc that you run overnight if needed. I've heard it works well for those who have used it.

You should be able to achieve deep blacks on the 857 easily. It's possible something isnt set right and its always possible the tv is defective.

What do you have your brightness level set to? What is the contrast at?
post #744 of 842 Old 01-07-2014, 08:42 AM

Running UndeadPixel right now, lets hope it can do some good.

Awaiting reply from the store on what they are willing to do about this.

Regarding the settings they are: (after i do the Black, APL and White Clipping tests in AVS HD 709)

AV mode [movie]

Clear Pic Processing off

Backlight 0 (sdt)

Contrast +37

Brightness +1

Colour 0

Tint 0

Sharpness 0

C.M.S -hue, -sat, -value settings left untouched (do any of these settings affect the blacklevels?)

Colour gamut range [standard]

Colour temp Mid-Low

Sub pixel control2 off

gamma 0

Film mode off

Active contrast off

dnr off

post #745 of 842 Old 01-07-2014, 09:23 AM

Quote:

Running UndeadPixel right now, lets hope it can do some good.
Awaiting reply from the store on what they are willing to do about this.

Regarding the settings they are: (after i do the Black, APL and White Clipping tests in AVS HD 709)
AV mode [movie]
Clear Pic Processing off
Backlight 0 (sdt)
Contrast +37
Brightness +1
Colour 0
Tint 0
Sharpness 0
C.M.S -hue, -sat, -value settings left untouched (do any of these settings affect the blacklevels?)
Colour gamut range [standard]
Colour temp Mid-Low
Sub pixel control2 off
gamma 0
Film mode off
Active contrast off
dnr off

Your brightness and contrast is right where it should be (in that range anyways). I'm at 36 and 0. None of your numbers look off so not being able to get it black with no grey sounds like you have a defective set imo. If you can exchange it, I would.
post #746 of 842 Old 01-07-2014, 10:41 AM
VBB
Advanced Member

Perceived black levels depend mostly on your viewing environment and the amount of backlight. If you watch in a completely dark room, even the lowest backlight setting will not give you great blacks. Like beetlejuice247 said, your contrast and brightness seem to be ok. For the record, I also ended up at 36 and 0. I only use backlight at STD during the day with a lot of light in the room. At night, even with the lights on, I set it to -10. Hope that helps.

Henry
Sharp LC-70LE857U
Onkyo HT-RC360
Mede8er MED600X3D

Synology DS1813+

X-Rite i1Display Pro

post #747 of 842 Old 01-07-2014, 12:01 PM

post #748 of 842 Old 01-07-2014, 11:29 PM

I know that the environment has an big impact on the perceived blacks. Trying to calibrate the set so i get a day and a night setting.

But i just cant get the "true" black that i suppose the display is capabel to give.

I know that a picture cant reproduce this 100% but it gives ha hint of how i see it.

It looks washed and grayish instead of black.. (not the black that you can expect from an edge-lit)

I dont see that lowering the backlight solves anything other than making the hole picture darker.

So lowering brightness any more = loss of details, backlight dont have an profound effect as i see it.

Going mad, as other than this issue I love the set.

It´s going up on the wall as soon as i get an answer fron the shop regarding the stuck pixel.

/Michael

post #749 of 842 Old 01-08-2014, 02:04 AM

Yeeh, got the call that they are swapping the set due to the stuck pixel. Apparently this model has a 100% pixel warranty. (at least from the main distributor that servs Scandinavia)

So now im a happy camper!

post #750 of 842 Old 01-08-2014, 09:40 AM

Quote:

Yeeh, got the call that they are swapping the set due to the stuck pixel. Apparently this model has a 100% pixel warranty. (at least from the main distributor that servs Scandinavia)
So now im a happy camper!

Good to hear. Let us know how the new one is.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp He Lc 70le857u 70 Inch 3d Smart Led Tv , Sharp 80 Inch Full Hd Aquos Led Smart Tv
Gear in this thread - 70le857u by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page