Official 2013 Sharp LC-XXLE857 Series Thread - Page 27 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #781 of 859 Old 01-28-2014, 02:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I am going to be buying a new TV soon and I am drawn to the Sharp 857U...however very soon the Q series is coming out. Will the Q series be similar to the 857 U? 

I know the Q+ can handle 4k I just dont know what to do.....

get the 857U for 1500 or wait for the Q....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 859 Old 01-28-2014, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny86yanks View Post

I am going to be buying a new TV soon and I am drawn to the Sharp 857U...however very soon the Q series is coming out. Will the Q series be similar to the 857 U? 

I know the Q+ can handle 4k I just dont know what to do.....

get the 857U for 1500 or wait for the Q....
Best buy had the prices up for the Q+ displays up until yesterday at which time they pulled them, 60" standard Q series was $1399, the 60" Q+ was $1999. The Q+ has all the same features found on the 857u 3D, 240Hz,smart central with added bonus of the expanded resolution and upscaler. The expanded resolution seams to be a RGBGY that split the additional yellow and green sub pixels to achieve the additional 10 million pixels. I am personally excited about in the Q+ and if the $1999 for the 60" hold true I may be owning a Sharp display for the first time.
post #783 of 859 Old 01-28-2014, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shankenstein View Post

Best buy had the prices up for the Q+ displays up until yesterday at which time they pulled them, 60" standard Q series was $1399, the 60" Q+ was $1999. The Q+ has all the same features found on the 857u 3D, 240Hz,smart central with added bonus of the expanded resolution and upscaler. The expanded resolution seams to be a RGBGY that split the additional yellow and green sub pixels to achieve the additional 10 million pixels. I am personally excited about in the Q+ and if the $1999 for the 60" hold true I may be owning a Sharp display for the first time.

thanks for the reply. if the Q+ is super bright technology like the 857U ill probably wait

post #784 of 859 Old 01-28-2014, 04:06 PM

also. looks confusing. looks like there is 3 different Q+ 60" models. the superbright technology is important to me

then u have to say to yourself should you just buy a 4k tv lol....i mean its cool that it can play 4k, and im sure it looks better than standard HD but when u can spend an additional 2 grand to get true 4k.......

post #785 of 859 Old 01-28-2014, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:

also. looks confusing. looks like there is 3 different Q+ 60" models. the superbright technology is important to me

then u have to say to yourself should you just buy a 4k tv lol....i mean its cool that it can play 4k, and im sure it looks better than standard HD but when u can spend an additional 2 grand to get true 4k.......
EQ=entry level Quattron
UQ=Flagship Q+ w/super bright and aqua motion 960
SQ=mid-high range Q+ w/3D ready (no glasses) and true "240Hz" panel no AquaMotion designation (assume 480)
post #786 of 859 Old 02-03-2014, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Received my 70LE857U on Thursday from HHGregg. They matched Amazon's price and delivered which I preferred. My son and I mounted the panel Saturday morning and have been playing with it since. The wife and I watched Avatar and coming from a 60" screen to a 70" really makes it more of a cinema experience. The colors really pop and I am surprisingly pleased with black colors. Very good contrast. Watching the Super Bowl with the 240hz activated offered a smooth picture during high speed action. All of my viewing angles are covered but it is an LED so fading does occur about 45-60 degrees from the edge.

So far no issues and I did buy the Sharp 3 year warranty. I read most of this thread and I really appreciate the comments. Started my HD experience with a JVC 61" LCOS rear projection and then to an LG plasma for about 5 years until last week. I really loved my JVC and this Sharp reminds me of the bright screen but with much improved blacks.

Yamaha RX3900
JBL Studio 590 7:1
SVS Ultra PB 13
Sharp LC70LE857U
Sony SACD
post #787 of 859 Old 02-04-2014, 10:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked: 693
Quote:

I would rather have the ability to play 4K than not, that is for sure.......
post #788 of 859 Old 02-04-2014, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBB View Post

Not using HDMI port 1 means no ARC (Audio Return Channel). That's not a good option for those wanting to run only one cable between TV and receiver.

I just bought this TV (LC-60LE857) for my dad. He called me and said the sync was off and Sharp Tech Support basically suggested everything on here (since Direct TV Genie was using HDMI 1 and he's NOT using an A/V Receiver). Without having to disable a bunch of features, my dad had ordered a Klipsch Sound Bar (arriving tomorrow). If I do the Digital Optical TV out to the Sound Bar, can I keep my Direct TV plugged into the HDMI 1 source? Is there a way to disable ARC or just the TV audio to solely rely on the sound bar via optical?
post #789 of 859 Old 02-04-2014, 04:31 PM
VBB
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Yes, ARC can be disabled in the TV's options, but if there is no A/V receiver involved, then he's not using ARC. Connecting the sound bar via optical should work just fine, but you will have to disable the TV's built-in speakers in the audio options. I doubt that a sound bar will get rid of the lip sync issue, though. Let us know how it goes.

Thinking about it, what you should probably do is connect the optical cable straight from the Genie to the sound bar, if that's possible.

Henry
Sharp LC-70LE857U
Onkyo HT-RC360
Mede8er MED600X3D

DarbeeVision Darblet DVP-5000

Synology DS1813+

X-Rite i1Display Pro

post #790 of 859 Old 02-04-2014, 04:39 PM

Quote:

Yes, ARC can be disabled in the TV's options, but if there is no A/V receiver involved, then he's not using ARC. Connecting the sound bar via optical should work just fine, but you will have to disable the TV's built-in speakers in the audio options. I doubt that a sound bar will get rid of the lip sync issue, though. Let us know how it goes.

Thinking about it, what you should probably do is connect the optical cable straight from the Genie to the sound bar, if that's possible.

It would be possible, until he gets a blu-ray player, but seems pretty content with NetFlix, Hulu Plus and Direct TV.
post #791 of 859 Old 02-05-2014, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayven View Post

Received my 70LE857U on Thursday from HHGregg. They matched Amazon's price and delivered which I preferred. My son and I mounted the panel Saturday morning and have been playing with it since. The wife and I watched Avatar and coming from a 60" screen to a 70" really makes it more of a cinema experience. The colors really pop and I am surprisingly pleased with black colors. Very good contrast. Watching the Super Bowl with the 240hz activated offered a smooth picture during high speed action. All of my viewing angles are covered but it is an LED so fading does occur about 45-60 degrees from the edge.

So far no issues and I did buy the Sharp 3 year warranty. I read most of this thread and I really appreciate the comments. Started my HD experience with a JVC 61" LCOS rear projection and then to an LG plasma for about 5 years until last week. I really loved my JVC and this Sharp reminds me of the bright screen but with much improved blacks.

Glad you're enjoying your new TV. Would you care to share your settings? I've tried several calibration disks and tweaked settings, but I can't seem to get a sharp (no pun intended) black picture.
post #792 of 859 Old 02-05-2014, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

I would rather have the ability to play 4K than not, that is for sure.......

Of course you would, you are a retailer. Listen, there is no real delivery system for 4K material and the cable system hasn't really been decided completely. HDMI 2.0 can't do 4K 3D because of the 8K bandwidth needed. Display port 1.3 Can. Personally I was looking forward to 4K 3D at home. HDMI ruins that and firmly keeps that out of consumers hands. And Now NHK in Japan is teaming up with Sharp on 8K TV's that have that 4 time the pixels as 4K? And they have been developing 8K for the last couple of years as evident from 2012 CES-2014 CES.

Blu-ray. Gonna have to die off and have a new delivery system like Sony's Media hub with at 3TB hard drive. Or a Media type stick for plug and play. 4K/HFR/3D or 1080p stays till something is decided.

Here is your 4K facts:

No real 4K steaming service in the U.S. (Infrastructure would need massive overhaul. Not going to happen.)
(my opinion, not fact) --->Blu-Ray will be a waste of time and money with its limited storage regardless how much compression is used and with 8K right behind it and already in development and use.
A real media hasn't been set in stone on any 4K/8K material.
What is going to be the connection we use? HDMI 2.0 which is already outdated and behind/ or is it time to move to Displayport 1.3? Wireless?? With the new AC bandwidth, is it time to cut our cords?

And I am sorry, my own eyes still do not like LCD (even in UHD form) and since we have killed off Plasma/DLP, we all are being herded like sheep to the cheapest form of TV. I really wish consumers would sit the next few years out on TV's and let the companies hear that in their loses and start giving us better quality technology not the cheapest and easiest.

So with that, I say grab the best 1080p screen you can whether it be Projector or Flat screen and sit this war out for the next 5 years. wink.gif
(That's the conclusion I came to after searching for the best 4K and seeing all the issues with it.)

Cool Beans.
post #793 of 859 Old 02-05-2014, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Another thing. This next gen effects the receiver market too. Lets say I get my 4K pass through receiver $1K+. 4K 3d is released couple years later. So now I have to get a receiver for 4K 3D pass through because of the 8K bandwidth required that my original 4K receiver can't handle.

Better idea. Lets wait till they quit stroken us for more ever 2-3 years.mad.gif

Cool Beans.
post #794 of 859 Old 02-05-2014, 02:08 PM
VBB
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercell View Post

I've tried several calibration disks and tweaked settings, but I can't seem to get a sharp (no pun intended) black picture.

I don't know what your TV looks like, but don't get too hung up over the lack of deep black. It's just not possible with this technology. During the day and also at night with some ambient light, my TV's blacks look black enough, but with the lights out, it's more of a dark grey, even with Backlight at -10. You just have to live with it. Make sure your Brightness and Contrast are properly adjusted. What are your current settings, btw? What do you watch? I've been messing mainly with the x.v.Color mode, which uses a different color gamut again, but one that seems to extend the standard gamut rather than replace it with something else, like Expanded does.

Henry
Sharp LC-70LE857U
Onkyo HT-RC360
Mede8er MED600X3D

Synology DS1813+

X-Rite i1Display Pro

post #795 of 859 Old 02-05-2014, 05:20 PM

FYI - Although Microsoft signed a licensing deal with Sharp (2012), it seems to only apply to Android Devices. I was hoping when i formatted my flash drive on my mac to exFAT it would work.. sadly, it doesn't. When I googled "Sharp exFAT" it came up with a bunch of articles :\
post #796 of 859 Old 02-05-2014, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercell View Post

Glad you're enjoying your new TV. Would you care to share your settings? I've tried several calibration disks and tweaked settings, but I can't seem to get a sharp (no pun intended) black picture.

Please know I am not a professional calibrator so the settings are merely based on spending time with multiple sources using the movie mode first and then standard mode that I have settled on for now. Here you go:
AV Mode = standard (chose this because I preferred the colors based on what adjustments I made below.)
OPC = off
Backlight = -6
Contrast = 23
Brightness = 0
Color = 2
Tint = 0
Sharpness = 2
Color Temp = middle
Motion = 240hz
Quad Pixel = off
Active Contrast = Advanced
Gamma Adjustment = 0
Film Mode = off
Digital Noise = off
Range of OPC = this shouldn't matter since the OPC is set to OFF

I did not change any of the color Hue settings. Let me know how you make out..
supercell likes this.

Yamaha RX3900
SVS Ultra PB 13
Sharp LC70LE857U
Sony SACD
post #797 of 859 Old 02-05-2014, 09:41 PM

Quote:

I didn't have my phone on me to check and forgot to disable ARC (mentioned here), plugged in the soundbar w/ optical out.. It had a chirping/pop feedback, but didn't start until about 2-3 minutes into the directv programming you heard that. So, I let a big sigh of disappointment out, plugged the HDMI into port 2, and disabled all motion settings. It seems like there should be a disclaimer that says "to experience our upsell features like Quad Pixel Plus 2, MotionRate, etc etc, you must have an A/V Receiver, otherwise you're going to have problems with our setup" . I've been reading up on ARC and seeing visual guides before and after ARC. I get the concept and the benefits, but I feel like it's one step forward, two steps back. That an entire industry is turning a blind eye and pulling a bait-n-switch, forcing us to adapt to their features with additional purchases of equipment needed. I'm surprised I never heard about the controversy on Engadget or Gizmodo with this subject.
post #798 of 859 Old 02-06-2014, 02:38 PM
VBB
Advanced Member

domerdel, what you are talking about does not involve ARC. ARC is the Audio Return Channel feature of HDMI, and to be able to use that, you have to have an A/V receiver hooked up to your TV. If enabled on both the receiver and the TV, any sound coming from the TV, for example via OTA or any devices plugged directly into the TV, will then be routed to the receiver through HDMI. The nice thing is that you need only the one HDMI cable between the TV and the receiver to get both incoming picture and outgoing sound.

What you're dealing with is an audio lip sync issue between the DirecTV Genie box and your TV, and it sounds like you've already figured out how to remedy that somewhat: Turn off all picture processing "enhancements". I know it sucks that we have to jump through so many hoops to get a decent picture and sound, but that's the nature of the beast.

Henry
Sharp LC-70LE857U
Onkyo HT-RC360
Mede8er MED600X3D

Synology DS1813+

X-Rite i1Display Pro

post #799 of 859 Old 02-06-2014, 06:53 PM

Quote:

domerdel, what you are talking about does not involve ARC. ARC is the Audio Return Channel feature of HDMI, and to be able to use that, you have to have an A/V receiver hooked up to your TV. If enabled on both the receiver and the TV, any sound coming from the TV, for example via OTA or any devices plugged directly into the TV, will then be routed to the receiver through HDMI. The nice thing is that you need only the one HDMI cable between the TV and the receiver to get both incoming picture and outgoing sound.

What you're dealing with is an audio lip sync issue between the DirecTV Genie box and your TV, and it sounds like you've already figured out how to remedy that somewhat: Turn off all picture processing "enhancements". I know it sucks that we have to jump through so many hoops to get a decent picture and sound, but that's the nature of the beast.

In past purchases, I've only ever owned DLP (D-ILA by JVC) and Plasma. This is the first LED TV I've seen and ever encountered problems like this. ARC may not be the focal point of the blame as it is a blend of other things, but it's still a variable in the equation due to the fact tech support tells me I have to change ports + diable enhancements. I realize there's always querks with technology, but going forward I'd figured we had advanced enough to offer enhancements without having to disable them. In my opinion, if the common denominator (market share) of consumers were non-tech savvy, wouldn't it be best to ship the tv w/o the enhancements? Granted, I am able enough to figure it out, but someone like my dad is not technology inclined. It just seems like a fatal flaw of an oversight to realize we're in the year 2014 and we're dealing with sync issues. in the past 20 years of buying TV's I never had to add the research element "now I better pick a tv that's not going to conflict with my audio sync" .

Like I said, one step forward, two steps back. It is what it is.
post #800 of 859 Old 02-07-2014, 02:31 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 19
New firmware released for the 857 series tonight 2.6.14

This firmware fixes an issue with Skype not starting correctly and giving a "Not ready, try again" error message.

This firmware also contains all previous fixes and enhancements.

Version: 153U1312121

Date: 2/6/14
post #801 of 859 Old 02-07-2014, 02:08 PM
VBB
Advanced Member

Thanks for that, powertoburn!

Sounds like Sharp is really focusing on the important things...

/sarcasm off

Henry
Sharp LC-70LE857U
Onkyo HT-RC360
Mede8er MED600X3D

Synology DS1813+

X-Rite i1Display Pro

post #802 of 859 Old 02-09-2014, 06:02 AM

Watched a 3D movie for the first time on my 70" 857U and man was it impressive. My brother has a Panasonic VT plasma and I can tell you this Sharp out performs the Pany in 3D. Because of the brightness you can see more detail and the 3D depth is more pronounced. I continue to get the software upgrade notice but I'm hesitant to follow through with the update because so far I don't have any issues. Has anyone experienced problems after updating the software?

Yamaha RX3900
SVS Ultra PB 13
Sharp LC70LE857U
Sony SACD
post #803 of 859 Old 02-09-2014, 04:44 PM
VBB
Advanced Member

Quote:

I continue to get the software upgrade notice but I'm hesitant to follow through with the update because so far I don't have any issues. Has anyone experienced problems after updating the software?

Updated without any issues. Didn't bother to do a reset after either. Everything's good. It is rare that a firmware update fixes anything other than apps these days.

Henry
Sharp LC-70LE857U
Onkyo HT-RC360
Mede8er MED600X3D

Synology DS1813+

X-Rite i1Display Pro

post #804 of 859 Old 02-10-2014, 04:01 AM

eek.gif
Quote:

Updated without any issues. Didn't bother to do a reset after either. Everything's good. It is rare that a firmware update fixes anything other than apps these days.

VBB

Thanks I'll try it.

Yamaha RX3900
SVS Ultra PB 13
Sharp LC70LE857U
Sony SACD
post #805 of 859 Old 02-14-2014, 12:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Sorry for the delay, but my honeymoon got in the way!

Got a new replacement tv after only 4 days after it was cleared that it was a dead/stuck pixel in the first set. (Great service from the scandinavian distributor)

No more defective pixels and now I'm really happy with the black levels!

Can see some clouding but think a wipe with an soft cloth will solve that.

So now the set is mounted to the wall and i have nothing to complain about! =)

post #806 of 859 Old 02-18-2014, 07:31 PM

Liked: 13
Her is a link to some of the best setting I have found (there are even on this same forum)

I have tries them all and these really do stand out

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1489943/sharp-aquos-857-calibrations-settings-only-thread

Love my 70" 857 and I am about to buy my second one for the HT room but maybe the 80" 857 !!biggrin.gif

ps these are all just a little to bright so I pittled with it for a while and just ended up turning the brightness down !!eek.gif
post #807 of 859 Old 02-22-2014, 04:14 PM

Quote:

eek.gif
VBB

Thanks I'll try it.

Did the software upgrade with no issues. I have a hard wired network connection. I really love the picture. So far I feel very fortunate to have chosen Sharp. initially I was leaning toward Samsung but I love the extra 5" over the Samsung and the Sharp picture is as good.

Yamaha RX3900
SVS Ultra PB 13
Sharp LC70LE857U
Sony SACD
post #808 of 859 Old 03-06-2014, 10:32 AM
VBB
Advanced Member

For anyone who feels that MOVIE mode makes the picture look too dull/washed out/faded, try PC mode. Even though PC mode will not let you select a color gamut range, it will "calibrate" correctly, unlike any of the other AV modes. I found that PC mode is identical to X.V.COLOR mode, which most of you probably haven't seen, because it is only triggered by a very few newer Blu-rays, and only with certain players. PC mode, at least on my 857, requires very little adjustment from default. For example, I only had to bump Contrast to 31 and Tint to +5. As with any mode, make sure you run it through the basic patterns available on the AVS HD 709 or Disney WoW disc.

Another thing I noticed is that the best way to find the correct Sharpness setting is to use the HYPERBOLIC ZONE PLATE test pattern on the Disney WoW disc. That made me reduce Sharpness from 0 to -1.

Henry
Sharp LC-70LE857U
Onkyo HT-RC360
Mede8er MED600X3D

Synology DS1813+

X-Rite i1Display Pro

post #809 of 859 Old 03-06-2014, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hi Henry,
did you calibrate with a meter and software? if so can you share your report of calibration in PC mode with us? I have an 8470 (last years model) and never played with pc mode as I figures the differences in levels was not worth the hassle.

Best,
jeff
post #810 of 859 Old 03-06-2014, 11:53 AM
VBB
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeno View Post

Hi Henry,
did you calibrate with a meter and software? if so can you share your report of calibration in PC mode with us? I have an 8470 (last years model) and never played with pc mode as I figures the differences in levels was not worth the hassle.

Best,
jeff
Sorry Jeff. I don't have a meter. That's why I always put calibration in quotation marks. You should give PC mode a try, though. My experience is that it uses the same xvYCC extended gamut as the x.v.Color mode. This is different from the EXPANDED color gamut range that all the other AV modes use.

Henry
Sharp LC-70LE857U
Onkyo HT-RC360
Mede8er MED600X3D

Synology DS1813+

X-Rite i1Display Pro

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp He Lc 70le857u 70 Inch 3d Smart Led Tv , Sharp 80 Inch Full Hd Aquos Led Smart Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page