Official 2013 Sharp LC-XXLE857 Series Thread - Page 30 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #871 of 881 Old 01-29-2016, 07:53 PM
VBB
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayven View Post
Sharp really did the job and within a week my TV was repaired. I can't complain at all about the warranty service. Hopefully good to go for another two years!
Awesome!

Henry
Vizio M70-C3
Onkyo HT-RC360
Synology DS1813+ & DX513 x2
X-Rite i1Display Pro, ArgyllCMS, DisplayCAL, madVR, HCFR
HTPC running Kodi with MPC-HC + madVR, Plex for remote streaming
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #872 of 881 Old 08-13-2016, 08:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I know that this is now an old thread, but I wanted to let others that have the LE857U class of televisions about an issue that I have experienced:

The sound died on my LC-80LE857U recently. Thankfully, I did purchase the Square Trade extended warranty when I purchased the TV. Square Trade arranged for a replacement System Board, and sent a local tech out to replace it. That fixed the sound, but the television's 3D capability went away - there are not even any menu setup selections for 3D, and some other menu selections went away.

It seemed as if the wrong board was installed - even though the board that was installed was compatible with the TV on a basic level. Not happy with the tech as he should have checked that.

I called up Square Trade again, and they sent out another board. As it turns out, it's the same board as the one that was just replaced.
This time I researched the web and, yes, the board that was installed IS the correct board for that TV, but the board has to be configured and told which TV that it's installed in.
At the moment, I don't know whether that is done via the Service Menu or flashed to an EPROM, but a tech will be here on Tuesday to fix it.

If anyone has a problem with the LE857U class of televisions that requires replacement of the Main/System board, the correct part number is "DKEYMF953FM06." This board also applies to:
LC-70LE757U LC-80LE757U LC-90LE657U LC-60C6500U LC-80LE857U LC-60C7500U LC-60LE857U LC-80LE657U LC-80LE650U LC-80C6500U LC-70LE755U LC-70LE657U LC-70LE650U LC-70C7500U LC-70C6500U LC-60LE755U LC-60LE657U LC-60LE650U LC-70LE857U

After the replacement but before the tech leaves your house, check that all of the setup menu selections that are specific to your television are present.

For the record, I still LOVE this television!
supercell likes this.

Last edited by Fritz1234; 08-13-2016 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Spelling
post #873 of 881 Old 08-24-2016, 01:06 PM

Update on my LC-80LE857U.

I had been told numerous times that a "special file" had to be installed into the board to set the display type and size correctly. After days of no progress, I found out that the repair facility contracted by Square Trade was NOT a Sharp-authorized repair shop. I complained about this to Square Trade and they authorized me to use a REAL Sharp repair facility to complete the repair.
The real facility indicated that there was no "special file" and that the proper setting were available in the Service Menu of the television.

Armed with the Service Manual, I entered the service menu, found the correct page and settings, and fixed the television to what it should have been.

Although Square Trade did utilize a non-authorized repair shop which did not perform the work correctly, they did bend over backwards to ensure my satisfaction.

Today, I had a REAL calibration performed on the television and I am totally gassed by the quality of the picture - it's FAR beyond what it was before. If anyone needs calibration in the North Georgia (Atlanta) area, I can recommend Cinetune. I'm very pleased.
AVSF458 likes this.
post #874 of 881 Old 08-24-2016, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 24
@Fritz1234 thank you for letting me know this. I have been gassed about my LC-80LE857 because I think everything about it including the picture sucks. I have the Sharp warranty and they sent someone out who said connect it to the DVD player and if the picture looks ok then there are no issues... hated that and he was an OK guy but there are no service people around the Dallas area to speak of.

I will try the calibration route and see if that helps my picture.

Thanks for posting.

Where did you find the service manual. Can you post it here or a link to it please...
post #875 of 881 Old 08-24-2016, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVSF458 View Post
@Fritz1234 thank you for letting me know this. I have been gassed about my LC-80LE857 because I think everything about it including the picture sucks. I have the Sharp warranty and they sent someone out who said connect it to the DVD player and if the picture looks ok then there are no issues... hated that and he was an OK guy but there are no service people around the Dallas area to speak of.

I will try the calibration route and see if that helps my picture.

Thanks for posting.

Where did you find the service manual. Can you post it here or a link to it please...
Calibration, though expensive, is essential for best performance. Since I purchased my Sharp I got by on plugging in various calibration values gathered from various websites - mostly from this site, and I thought I wasn't too far away from an ideal picture.
I was wrong, and there are far too many variables for a "one size fits all" calibration profile.

I just Googled for ISF Calibration in the Dallas area and I see quite a lot of calibration services. There's also a Forum here just for Display Calibration.

Like I said, the service is a bit pricey - expect to pay $300 to $400 dollars - but the results are more than worth it.

I purchased the service manual from here for about $6. I would post the manual that I've already purchased but I don't know about any copyright I may violate by doing so.
Please note that you can really mess up your TV by making changes in the Service Menus. I was VERY nervous when I went into mine.

I hope this helps.
AVSF458 likes this.
post #876 of 881 Old 08-24-2016, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz1234 View Post
Calibration, though expensive, is essential for best performance. Since I purchased my Sharp I got by on plugging in various calibration values gathered from various websites - mostly from this site, and I thought I wasn't too far away from an ideal picture.
I was wrong, and there are far too many variables for a "one size fits all" calibration profile.

I just Googled for ISF Calibration in the Dallas area and I see quite a lot of calibration services. There's also a Forum here just for Display Calibration.

Like I said, the service is a bit pricey - expect to pay $300 to $400 dollars - but the results are more than worth it.

I purchased the service manual from here for about $6. I would post the manual that I've already purchased but I don't know about any copyright I may violate by doing so.
Please note that you can really mess up your TV by making changes in the Service Menus. I was VERY nervous when I went into mine.

I hope this helps.
Fritz I do not see one for the LC-80LE857 here after the 844 it jumps to 90.
post #877 of 881 Old 08-24-2016, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Fritz I do not see one for the LC-80LE857 here after the 844 it jumps to 90.
It's the LC-70LE857U Service Manual. The 60, 70, and 80 inch (even the 90?) are all the same - only the size is different. It's the "857U" that matters.
post #878 of 881 Old 08-24-2016, 07:37 PM

BTW - just got finished watching "Hugo" (in 2D) after this calibration - I am astounded! Gob-smacked at the quality! Aside from the television itself, the price that I paid for the calibration was the best money I have spent in a long time.
post #879 of 881 Old 08-25-2016, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz1234 View Post
BTW - just got finished watching "Hugo" (in 2D) after this calibration - I am astounded! Gob-smacked at the quality! Aside from the television itself, the price that I paid for the calibration was the best money I have spent in a long time.

Awesome. I have never been astounded by the picture on that TV no matter the Content. The worst 4500 bucks I spent on anything ;-)
post #880 of 881 Old 08-25-2016, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Awesome. I have never been astounded by the picture on that TV no matter the Content. The worst 4500 bucks I spent on anything ;-)
Get a professional calibration. I can practically guarantee you will love it.
Sorry you haven't like it so far...
post #881 of 881 Old 08-26-2016, 04:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
If you don't want to spend several hundred $ on a calibration, see if you can find a copy of the Disney Wow calibration disk. It's out of print now, but you might find one for sale somewhere. That's all I used and it made a huge difference with my 857.
AVSF458 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp He Lc 70le857u 70 Inch 3d Smart Led Tv , Sharp 80 Inch Full Hd Aquos Led Smart Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page