Official 2013 Sharp LC-XXLE857 Series Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 842 Old 05-31-2013, 08:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
As soon as someone gets to watch some 3D, let us know if there are any ghosting issues, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 842 Old 05-31-2013, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by avjohn View Post

As soon as someone gets to watch some 3D, let us know if there are any ghosting issues, thanks!

As with most active glasses 3D sets, the 857 does have some cross-talk issues when I watch a 3D movie. I've not found it to a problem for the most part. It is nice that the blue tooth based glasses stay in sync even if you look away from the TV for an extended period.

Robbin
post #183 of 842 Old 06-01-2013, 11:13 AM

Liked: 10
will be receiving my 70" early next week. The unit is going into a custom cabinet that I had built several years ago (and which formerly has housed two Mits brand RPTV's over the year
I am increasing the height on the shelf for the TV today and starting to plan on my side trim pieces which I'll cut stain and finish to match the rest of the cabinet. The final look is just the screen with little to no bezel showing
Now for my question
It appears as though there is a remote sensor located on the center of the front bezel--below the Sharp logo. I am used to the Mits units who remote sensor/s were apparently behind the screen. Will I need to leave this sensor exposed (not cover it up with trim) for my remote control to function properly. I guess I'll have to wait and see but since I'm working on this project today--thought I'd pose the query

thanks! Dave

Thanks Sommers
post #184 of 842 Old 06-01-2013, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommers View Post

Now for my question
It appears as though there is a remote sensor located on the center of the front bezel--below the Sharp logo. I am used to the Mits units who remote sensor/s were apparently behind the screen. Will I need to leave this sensor exposed (not cover it up with trim) for my remote control to function properly. I guess I'll have to wait and see but since I'm working on this project today--thought I'd pose the query

thanks! Dave

In simple - No, existing remote it will not work, sorry to say that.
The remote is infra red IR based that required direct line.
However, there is another way to communicate to TV -
Quote:
Sharp has also developed an iOS and Android remote control app for the Sharp Aquos LC-80LE857K, which will be available from the App Store and Google Play later this month
I haven't seen it yet - so no comments.
post #185 of 842 Old 06-01-2013, 01:20 PM

thanks, but I'd bet those apps would be IR also and thus wouldn't solve me dilemna

sounds like I'll have to notch out my trim to reveal the sensor--maybe I'll try just drilling a hole to expose just the sensor and hide everything else

these electronics buys turn into a cabinet project for me

Thanks Sommers
post #186 of 842 Old 06-01-2013, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommers View Post

thanks, but I'd bet those apps would be IR also and thus wouldn't solve me dilemna

sounds like I'll have to notch out my trim to reveal the sensor--maybe I'll try just drilling a hole to expose just the sensor and hide everything else

these electronics buys turn into a cabinet project for me

URW
I think the point for smart app is to use wi-fi and not IR - that's why it might solve your issue
the 857 has BT as well - may be that can be used?

I'd recommend you to contact Sharp support for this matter to get official answer.
post #187 of 842 Old 06-01-2013, 02:03 PM

thanks Mike
Once I get this thing--I'll let you all know

Thanks Sommers
post #188 of 842 Old 06-01-2013, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

Hi all,

I'm new owner of 80" 857 - 3 days so far
I got 857 as replacement for 844 Sharp didn't want to fix
Many will say 844 is better as full array vs edge lit and I'd agree with this statement "on paper" till you have 80" monster at home that has DSE; due to "bad" LEDs in the array. You may check for my pics at 844 thread.
No, 857 isn't perfect, but looks better vs it replaced.
I didn't finish my "home" calibration, but you may take a look at resulting pics
G+

I'd like to see your pictures for the same test patterns.

I'll provide my settings later as those are not final yet.

Any one who knows 3 digit code for system menu are very welcome to PM me the code.

Mike
post #189 of 842 Old 06-02-2013, 03:22 PM

I received my 70le857u about three weeks ago. My Mitsubishi 65" LaserVue started blowing pixels and Mits doesn't make the engine anymore so they were kind enough to "buy it back" - so I decided on the 857.

I am new to large scale LCDs, so there is a little bit of a learning curve I'm having to ramp up on. At first, I was not loving the 857 at all. The factory settings could only be enjoyed by a 5 year old watching cartoons. The look is hard to describe. You know how old b&w 60's shows recorded on videotape look? Overblown contrast and saturation, I think. I tried watching some movies on cable and it was just awful - I couldn't pay attention to the movie because the video looked so bad (and that was with the Movie setting).

So I spent a few hours with the Joe Kane Digital Video Essentials BluRay, and got it much better, but things were still wacky. I had to crank the blue way down and the cyan way up (in the CMS menus). But then some flesh tones looked correct while others looked bluish or pinkish. After reading this thread, I decided to turn everything off and calibrate again. It turns out that "Color Gamut" is evil. When I switched it from Expanded to Standard, there was a big shift in the color test patterns. I couldn't get the calibration perfect, but I got it pretty darn close and then decided to drop all of the saturation controls down by two notches. I then experimented with the motion processing and decided on 120Hz high. (I guess I should say that I want my TV to look like film *all* the time - whether I'm watching TV shows or movies. I really don't care about 3D)

So after all that, I'm pretty happy with the way the set looks. I would recommend the set to others, but if you're finicky (and why wouldn't you be if you're buying a 70" TV?), you also need the DVE calibration BluRay.

My current settings: (used for all inputs, which are HDMI)
AV mode: Movie
OPC : off

Backlight +5
Contrast +19
Brightness +8
Color -1
Tint 0
Sharpness -2

Advanced:
CMS Hue:
R+1 Y-1 G-2 C+1 B0 M+3

CMS Saturation:
R-2 Y-1 G-2 C-2 B-7 M-2

CMS Value:
R+3 Y-2 G+2 C-2 B0 M-2

Color gamut: standard
Color temp: low, 10-point off
Motion enhancement: 120Hz high
Quad pixel: advanced
Active Contrast: off
Gamma Adjustment: 0
Film Mode: standard
DNR: middle
post #190 of 842 Old 06-02-2013, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I'm glad you are enjoying your 857. Extended Color Gamut is definitely evil. It's impossible to get the color primaries correctly calibrated with that turned on. The 240hz Motion Enhancement is also bad for both color and gamma.

I'd suggest setting Film Mode to off. It's the big contributor to the Soap Opera Effect.

For my preferences, I use more contrast and less brightness. I'd expect your blacks to be pretty gray with the brightness that high.

Robbin
post #191 of 842 Old 06-02-2013, 08:41 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikek753 View Post

Hi all,

Many will say 844 is better as full array vs edge lit and I'd agree with this statement "on paper" till you have 80" monster at home that has DSE; due to "bad" LEDs in the array. You may check for my pics at 844 thread.
I didn't finish my "home" calibration, but you may take a look at resulting pics
G+

Any one who knows 3 digit code for system menu are very welcome to PM me the code.

Mike

Yikes redface.gif

Some of those shots are really bad, is the uneven backlighting and banding an issue when watching normal TV/Movies?
post #192 of 842 Old 06-02-2013, 09:01 PM

> I'd suggest setting Film Mode to off. It's the big contributor to the Soap Opera Effect.

Thanks, I'll try turning the film mode off. Yeah, my blacks are up a little (not bad), but I've been trying to do anything and everything to eliminate the soap opera effect (I didn't know that's what it was called).
post #193 of 842 Old 06-02-2013, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by db_woodall View Post

... I've been trying to do anything and everything to eliminate the soap opera effect (I didn't know that's what it was called).

It's caused by the set's motion interpolation algorithms. Here's a great article on the subject:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57569102-221/what-is-the-soap-opera-effect/
post #194 of 842 Old 06-04-2013, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

Anyone having audio syncing issues with this set? It seems as if the lower end Sharp 70" does, wondering if this is the same?
post #195 of 842 Old 06-05-2013, 12:46 PM

Thanks so much for those settings!
post #196 of 842 Old 06-06-2013, 03:21 PM

I have the 80" 857 and was having audio sync problems. But I need to clarify that I was having the problem with two distinct configurations.

Configuration #1: HDMI from blu-ray player straight to TV; optical audio cable (from BD player) to my A/V receiver. With this method, the audio in some of the movies we were watching would get out of sync. I called Sharp and they told me - because of all the "video processing" going on - the video and audio cables had to go to the same device - either the TV or an ARC friendly receiver. I happen to have an excellent, high end receiver (the Yamaha DSP-A1) and didn't want to do that. The support person from Sharp said that they would not support or debug a problem using this configuration. I was convinced I would have to return the set until I fiddled with the TV's own optical audio out.

Configuration #2: HDMI from blu-ray player straight to TV; audio cable from TV's optical audio out to my receiver. With this configuration, I changed the option for the TV's audio out to "bitstream", so the set essentially passed the digital 5.1 through.
I also had an audio sync problem with this configuration and called Sharp again (NOTE: the audio was out of sync even after I powered off my receiver and used the 857's built-in speakers).
Sharp was more helpful with this problem and promised me it would be resolved even if a tech person had to come to the house. The Sharp tech support person had me do a major reset. An audio type error did show up after this.
Anyway, the TV has not had the problem since using config #2.

I start watching movies using config #1 - if the out-of-sync problem occurs, I switch to config #2 and everything been working so far.

JakeT
post #197 of 842 Old 06-06-2013, 11:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaket4570 View Post

I have the 80" 857 and was having audio sync problems. But I need to clarify that I was having the problem with two distinct configurations.

Configuration #1: HDMI from blu-ray player straight to TV; optical audio cable (from BD player) to my A/V receiver. With this method, the audio in some of the movies we were watching would get out of sync. I called Sharp and they told me - because of all the "video processing" going on - the video and audio cables had to go to the same device - either the TV or an ARC friendly receiver. I happen to have an excellent, high end receiver (the Yamaha DSP-A1) and didn't want to do that. The support person from Sharp said that they would not support or debug a problem using this configuration. I was convinced I would have to return the set until I fiddled with the TV's own optical audio out.

Configuration #2: HDMI from blu-ray player straight to TV; audio cable from TV's optical audio out to my receiver. With this configuration, I changed the option for the TV's audio out to "bitstream", so the set essentially passed the digital 5.1 through.
I also had an audio sync problem with this configuration and called Sharp again (NOTE: the audio was out of sync even after I powered off my receiver and used the 857's built-in speakers).
Sharp was more helpful with this problem and promised me it would be resolved even if a tech person had to come to the house. The Sharp tech support person had me do a major reset. An audio type error did show up after this.

I start watching movies using config #1 - if the out-of-sync problem occurs, I switch to config #2 and everything been working so far.

JakeT

So it sounds like if you have a receiver with HDMI(going TV HDMI to Receiver HDMI), you would be fine?
post #198 of 842 Old 06-07-2013, 02:16 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:

I have the 80" and the 3D is great. I had some minor motion issue in one scene( for a couple of seconds) watching promethius( not sure what to call it), but no ghosting.

Quote:
Anyone having audio syncing issues with this set?

I have my cable box, Oppo player, and two game's going to my reciever, then one hdmi out to the tv, and my audio is perfect. So far I am very happy with this tv. Hope this helps.smile.gif
post #199 of 842 Old 06-07-2013, 08:10 AM

Has anyone configured a bluetooth keyboard/mouse set up?
Anything to be aware of?
Any recommendation on a brand / model of a good keyboard/mouse?

thanks, Dave

Thanks Sommers
post #200 of 842 Old 06-07-2013, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr stroke View Post

So it sounds like if you have a receiver with HDMI(going TV HDMI to Receiver HDMI), you would be fine?

Well, technically "yes" - and that's what the 1st Sharp support guy said, but...

The fact that the out-of-sync was happening with config #2 gives me reason to be suspicious that this HDMI->rcvr->TV config also might have problems.
Plus, right before I got the 857 I had the Samsumg 75" 9000 Smart/LED TV - using the exact same components - and I had no audio sync problems at all (I exchanged the Samsung for the 857 because of the larger screen size and the price difference).
In addition, all TVs I've had in this home theater configuration worked fine over the years and had no audio sync problems. And the previous TVs were excellent sets from Sony.

I understand that a valid argument could be made that - if you're buying a big screen/high end TV - you (maybe) should have the latest A/V components in place to "handle" it. But, maybe an argument could be made that - if the "video processing" is inducing latency between the video and audio - the manufacturer should increase the clock rate or number of processors involved to decrease said latency.

In any case, the frequency of the out-of-sync audio has decreased with config #1 since this reset I did with the 2nd Sharp person (dunno why this seems to have worked since it's not really a "fix"). As I said, when the problem does occur, I simply change the input of receiver to config #2 and that's been working great.

NOTE: if anyone has any out-of-sync problems to report with the Sharp TVs, please include your configuration and what components you're using.
post #201 of 842 Old 06-07-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:

Anyone having audio syncing issues with this set? It seems as if the lower end Sharp 70" does, wondering if this is the same?

Can you be more specific about the out-of-sync issue you're having? Please include how you're connecting the component(s) involved to the TV and what the component(s) is/are. (See my post regarding audio issues earlier in this forum). Also let us know if you've contacted Sharp and what they told you.
Thanks.

Regards,
J
post #202 of 842 Old 06-07-2013, 09:41 AM

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaket4570 View Post

JakeT

Starting with HDMI 1.3 devices, an option was included to address lip-sync issues. Strangely, often the best way to handle lip sync issues is to disable the option that handles lip-sync.

In any event run through your menu settings on players and the TV (or anything else) and look for lip-sync. Choose the opposite of what is selected. That may help.
post #203 of 842 Old 06-07-2013, 11:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yikes redface.gif

Some of those shots are really bad, is the uneven backlighting and banding an issue when watching normal TV/Movies?

yes and no.
Some I can see and others no.

I uploaded more pics

G+

Are your 80" 857 any better vs main?
post #204 of 842 Old 06-08-2013, 02:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikek753 View Post

Hi all,

G+

Mike
Resident evil pics look stupendous Mike, congrats and enjoy your new toy. Btw thank you very much for taking the time to post the pics. I don't know why guys who got their new set can't post screenshots, is it that hard fellas?
post #205 of 842 Old 06-08-2013, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alk3997 View Post

Starting with HDMI 1.3 devices, an option was included to address lip-sync issues. Strangely, often the best way to handle lip sync issues is to disable the option that handles lip-sync.

In any event run through your menu settings on players and the TV (or anything else) and look for lip-sync. Choose the opposite of what is selected. That may help.

Thanks for your post, but I can not find any menu item, on any of the components involved, that say anything about lip-sync. There are settings for delay, but I don't think that would work for this issue.

Thanx again for thinking about moi.
J
post #206 of 842 Old 06-09-2013, 08:07 AM

I am considering this unit in 60" or 70" size for my home system mainly as the display for the Mac Mini. I also have the Classé+B&W so audio features of this TV are irrelevant.
Has anyone here used this unit with Mac Mini pls? Would you recommend it?
I'm very grateful for any comments. Thank you.
post #207 of 842 Old 06-11-2013, 12:58 PM

I'm not sure this is of any interest to anyone, but... if you're considering buying the 70-inch top of the line Series 8 Sharp, I just bought it from Abe's of Maine for $2,559, tax-free (except in NJ) and shipping included. This is at least $300 less than any other place, and no tax.

I have bought a few items in years past from Abe's with good results. I've read that they call you back trying to upsell you stuff, but I can deal with this if it happens.

George
G_for_LA and KONICA TECH like this.
post #208 of 842 Old 06-12-2013, 01:30 PM

Well, I just finished the dreaded call back from Abe's of Maine. They tried to sell me a "Sharp" 5-year extended warranty for a "discounted" price of $349. I called Sharp and they said Abe's cannot sell Sharp warranties, only Sharp can. Abe's says that's not so. Anyway, Sharp will sell their own 3-year extention (to 4 years) for $179, in home, even if you don't buy the TV from them.

Then the guy, who was otherwise respectful, went on to the "white glove" shipping, saying it's critical for a big TV like this (which does make some sense). When I told him I'd take my chances, he said they need to charge a 7% insurance fee, which he said is "right there on the cart". Sure enough, in very small print under "more details" it says an insurance fee is mandatory, EVEN THOUGH IT DID NOT SHOW ON THE CART.

I finally settled for the "white glove" stuff at $249, which actually makes make some sense, even though it's overpriced. Oh... they gave me $200 in some kind of coupons... what crap!!

At the end of the day, it wasn't that bad of a deal if you don't count the aggravation. Beware Abe's of Maine.
post #209 of 842 Old 06-12-2013, 02:27 PM

After thinking about this, and even though the total price was lower than I could get elsewhere, I just didn't like the way Abe's of Maine tried to upsell me with questionable or downright incorrect statements, I decided to cancel.

I'll buy somewhere else.
post #210 of 842 Old 06-12-2013, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgecortes View Post

After thinking about this, and even though the total price was lower than I could get elsewhere, I just didn't like the way Abe's of Maine tried to upsell me with questionable or downright incorrect statements, I decided to cancel.

I'll buy somewhere else.

check Costco if you have near by
I got main from BB, but Costco sales with 2 years and for another $99 you get extra 3 years - so 5 years total
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp He Lc 70le857u 70 Inch 3d Smart Led Tv , Sharp 80 Inch Full Hd Aquos Led Smart Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page