Will Apple release the iTV in 2013? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 01-07-2013, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
What do you guys think? If so will you buy it or wait for the 2nd or 3rd generation? I'm thinking of picking up a Sony hx850 but would hate it if apple released a tv later this year. I'm a huge apple fan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 01-08-2013, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

Im wondering if im the only apple fan boy around here lol
post #3 of 25 Old 01-08-2013, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 228
My guess is if they do, it won't be until Q3 or Q4 of this year, and if so, I'd wait for the 2nd gen at least.
post #4 of 25 Old 01-08-2013, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Thats what i was thinkin too. I will prolly go ahead and pull the trigger on the sony for now. Do you think apple will conqueor the issues of uniformity, viewing angles, dse, input lag etc that samsung has failed at?
post #5 of 25 Old 01-08-2013, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danediz View Post

Im wondering if im the only apple fan boy around here lol

yes you are the only apple fan here.....lol....apple in these neck of the woods is not very popular....apple is been bragging and promising a TV set for the past 5 years and nothing....they are all talk.....

besides, they love to have total control of everything and anything....sharp was gonna join forces with them to produce their tv, but last i heard is that sharp might be going outta business.....

good luck apple....

I for one will not pay freaking apple $2000 for a sleezy 32" tv with the well know overrated retina display.....the consumer does know what they want (not according to steve jobs).

May I ask, why would you want an iTV? just curious....wink.gif
post #6 of 25 Old 01-08-2013, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndeaverouX View Post

yes you are the only apple fan here.....lol....apple in these neck of the woods is not very popular....apple is been bragging and promising a TV set for the past 5 years and nothing....they are all talk.....
besides, they love to have total control of everything and anything....sharp was gonna join forces with them to produce their tv, but last i heard is that sharp might be going outta business.....
good luck apple....
I for one will not pay freaking apple $2000 for a sleezy 32" tv with the well know overrated retina display.....the consumer does know what they want (not according to steve jobs).

There are more Apple fans around here than you think. Trashing Apple, or any other computer mfr around here for that matter is not what AVS is about, and results in nothing more than the old, tired, childish Apple vs Microsoft arguments.

Apple will produce a tv of sorts. Whether it be a highly modified STB or a fully integrated 47" or 50" flat panel is yet to be seen, but it will happen. Most of Apple's issues have been with content providers and what they are willing, or not willing, to give up to be included in an Apple product. I for one am looking forward to see what Apple comes up with given their seemingly bottomless pockets when it comes to R&D. Just take a look at their patent applications over the last 2 years or so. Apple may surprise us and overcome some of the issues that have been plaguing flat panels for the last couple of years. Or they may not. Another player with a solid background in R&D and innovation certainly can't hurt.

As far as what the consumer wants, look at how marketing has been pushing 3D, SmartTVs, 240Hz, 600Hz sets with the implication that you can't have, or enjoy, quality tv if you don't have those capabilities. You make the ads slick enough with just the right amount of marketing language that makes the latest gizmo and "feature" sound really innovative and the masses will eat it up. Regardless of who it is.
post #7 of 25 Old 01-08-2013, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

good luck apple....

Look what they did with the phone and tablet... Even laptops... Even though an hp is cheaper with similar features, people still love MacBooks
post #8 of 25 Old 01-09-2013, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

There are more Apple fans around here than you think. Trashing Apple, or any other computer mfr around here for that matter is not what AVS is about, and results in nothing more than the old, tired, childish Apple vs Microsoft arguments.
Apple will produce a tv of sorts. Whether it be a highly modified STB or a fully integrated 47" or 50" flat panel is yet to be seen, but it will happen. Most of Apple's issues have been with content providers and what they are willing, or not willing, to give up to be included in an Apple product. I for one am looking forward to see what Apple comes up with given their seemingly bottomless pockets when it comes to R&D. Just take a look at their patent applications over the last 2 years or so. Apple may surprise us and overcome some of the issues that have been plaguing flat panels for the last couple of years. Or they may not. Another player with a solid background in R&D and innovation certainly can't hurt.
As far as what the consumer wants, look at how marketing has been pushing 3D, SmartTVs, 240Hz, 600Hz sets with the implication that you can't have, or enjoy, quality tv if you don't have those capabilities. You make the ads slick enough with just the right amount of marketing language that makes the latest gizmo and "feature" sound really innovative and the masses will eat it up. Regardless of who it is.

you are right....but im not bashing apple...just saying..they have been promising a TV for a while now....anf it wont be cheap....at least $2000 for a 32"...mark my words...
if an IPAD is about $500, How much more will a TV Set be? Lets be realistic here......
post #9 of 25 Old 01-09-2013, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Apple is going to release a TV this year and it will be stellar... mark my words.
post #10 of 25 Old 01-09-2013, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

you are right....but im not bashing apple...just saying..they have been promising a TV for a while now....anf it wont be cheap....at least $2000 for a 32"...mark my words...
if an IPAD is about $500, How much more will a TV Set be? Lets be realistic here......

I just read a prediction for Apple 2013 and if they release a tv in Q3, it will be in the 47"-50" size and be priced around $1500 - $2000. $2000 for a 47" is pricey but that's Apple. And no, they won't go below 47" because now you're getting into monitor size.
post #11 of 25 Old 01-09-2013, 02:00 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

good luck apple....

Can you cite sources where Apple promised a TV? I don't think, actually I know they've ever came out and said they were building a TV. Sure there's been plenty of talk about it but I can assure you it hasn't come from Apple. It's pretty clear you're not an Apple fan and that's all fine and good but if you were you'd know the hard and fast line from Apple is that they never discuss/disclose unreleased products.
post #12 of 25 Old 01-09-2013, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawdad62 View Post

Can you cite sources where Apple promised a TV? I don't think, actually I know they've ever came out and said they were building a TV. Sure there's been plenty of talk about it but I can assure you it hasn't come from Apple. It's pretty clear you're not an Apple fan and that's all fine and good but if you were you'd know the hard and fast line from Apple is that they never discuss/disclose unreleased products.

I wasn't going to bring that up, but now that you've mentioned it......wink.gif
post #13 of 25 Old 01-09-2013, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:

Thats what i was thinkin too. I will prolly go ahead and pull the trigger on the sony for now. Do you think apple will conqueor the issues of uniformity, viewing angles, dse, input lag etc that samsung has failed at?
I think the bigger question is why some people say "prolly" instead of "probably" smile.gif
post #14 of 25 Old 01-09-2013, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:

I wasn't going to bring that up, but now that you've mentioned it......wink.gif

Just like Apple has announced all it's products before they are released...
post #15 of 25 Old 01-09-2013, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

I think the bigger question is why some people say "prolly" instead of "probably" smile.gif

Coming from a purdue grad im surprised you noticed haha. Go hoosiers!
post #16 of 25 Old 01-09-2013, 04:57 PM

I'm starting to wonder if the whole Apple TV thing is just a fake-out to keep Apple's competitors on their toes.

I mean, what would be so great about an Apple TV anyway? I could see them making a great Smart TV. I suppose that would be helpful since most Smart TVs kind of suck right now, but really, do people even need Smart TVs? No, no they don't.

Maybe they could come up with some-duper motion engine that would fix a few problems with the LED technology, but unless they change the very technology itself I think the gains would be pretty minimal.

It's not like Apple is going to figure out how to build a perfect panel. They won't even make the panels; some other company will.
post #17 of 25 Old 01-09-2013, 07:24 PM

Quote:

Coming from a purdue grad im surprised you noticed haha. Go hoosiers!

Ouch!tongue.gif
post #18 of 25 Old 01-09-2013, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

biggrin.gif This whole discussion is pointless right now so we should just move on to more current, and real, topics.
EndeaverouX likes this.
post #19 of 25 Old 01-09-2013, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:

biggrin.gif This whole discussion is pointless right now so we should just move on to more current, and real, topics.
Right you are. Everyone knows the Apple TV is going to be a 96.4" UHD Plasma. Totally pointless to post about it here in the LCD forum....rolleyes.gif
post #20 of 25 Old 01-09-2013, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

Right you are. Everyone knows the Apple TV is going to be a 96.4" UHD Plasma. Totally pointless to post about it here in the LCD forum....rolleyes.gif

biggrin.gif
post #21 of 25 Old 01-09-2013, 09:08 PM

Liked: 10
I think they will. In terms of buying one for my main family room I'll wait for v2. If they have something smaller like a 42" it might be interesting for another room in the house.
post #22 of 25 Old 01-10-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawdad62 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwener View Post

I'm starting to wonder if the whole Apple TV thing is just a fake-out to keep Apple's competitors on their toes.

I mean, what would be so great about an Apple TV anyway? I could see them making a great Smart TV. I suppose that would be helpful since most Smart TVs kind of suck right now, but really, do people even need Smart TVs? No, no they don't.

Maybe they could come up with some-duper motion engine that would fix a few problems with the LED technology, but unless they change the very technology itself I think the gains would be pretty minimal.

It's not like Apple is going to figure out how to build a perfect panel. They won't even make the panels; some other company will.

Look guys, I love you guys, but this is all rumors and speculations now.....

enough with apple HDTV already....apple should just shut the eff up or just come out with their own HDTV already....Im tired of hearing of it...APPLE: put your money where your mouth is and come out with the hdtv already...

its very easy for apple to whine, biatch, and complain about other companies HDTVs, where's theirs? Ive been hearing these rumors for years now of their imaginary TV...enough already.....

lol....had to get that off my chest.... tongue.gif
post #23 of 25 Old 01-10-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:

true dat
post #24 of 25 Old 04-03-2013, 08:21 AM

Liked: 22
FYI - Stumbled upon this today on Yahoo News.

The “iTV” ecosystem represents a major innovation for the $100 billion LCD TV industry that will revolutionize the TV experience forever, in our view. First of all, we believe “iTV” will be 60-inches in size (but could also include 50-55 inch options). Secondly, we believe Apple will release a miniature device called “iRing” that will be placed on a user’s finger and act as a navigation pointer for “iTV”, enhancing the motion detection experience and negating some of the functionality found in a remote. Thirdly, “iTV” will come with a “mini iTV” screen that will seamlessly allow users to view content on this smaller, 9.7-inch screen, while also opening up use cases around home security, phone calls, video conferencing and other areas. As part of this experience, Siri and FaceTime will be important. Essentially, we believe the “mini iTV” screens will be able to capture content from the 60-inch “iTV” across a distance of up to 200 meters, allowing a user to view “iTV” content in the kitchen, washroom, garage, bedroom, backyard, etc. We believe Apple will offer one “mini iTV” per “iTV” but package options will include up to four screens (i.e., one screen is part of the standard package and pay extra for each additional). While the “mini iTV” screens will be similar in size compared to the iPad, and thus allow for some manufacturing efficiencies, the capabilities and features will be very basic and thus not an iPad replacement. Furthermore, we believe “iWatch” will be an important part of the “iTV” ecosystem, tapping into “iTV” services in a much more mobile friendly manner, complementing the “iRing”. The interaction between “iTV” and making phone calls will be an important feature of this experience, while the “iWatch” and “iRing” will provide increased mobility around the home, supplanting the need to carry a smartphone around the house. Finally, we believe consumers will pay approximately $1,500 to $2,500 for the “iTV” package. The price will be based on the number of “mini iTV” screens in the package and the screen size of the “iTV”. Also, we are being told that “iTV” could be subsidized by certain service providers to expand the market opportunity.
post #25 of 25 Old 04-03-2013, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Yahoo News, a source of accurate and impeccable news rolleyes.gif If, and when, Apple releases a "TV" it probably won't be called iTV because I believe there is a British tv station that uses the iTV name so there would be some sort of conflict there. The iWatch seems to be a more likely probability this year than an "iTV". I think Apple will do some more tweaking with their AppleTV STB (content, features, functionality) before they jump into a paneled tv set.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Apple Tv Md199ll A
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page