Need help deciding on an LCD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 01-09-2013, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, I recently got a Samsung PN60E7000. It's great, the picture quality is awesome. But contrary to what I'd read about IR not being such a problem with the samsung line up this year, it is more of a problem then i thought and i dont want to deal with it given my uses (lots of gaming, general monitor, cable, movies....everything).

So it saddens me i have to give up the greatness of plasma but it is what it is. I'm now looking for a good LED replacement and I've found a few.
I dont care about 3d or any internet apps, its going to be hooked up to my PC 24/7. Mainly I just want good motion performance for games and such and the best picture quality i can find and good reliability, uniformity, clouding and so on. The latter 2 being biggies. Maybe one with local dimming, i know some of the edge lit ones have some form of that.

Sony KDL60EX645
Sharp LC-LE640U
Samsung UN60EH6003
Samsung UN60ES6003
Samsung UN60EH6000
Samsung UN60ES6100

The sharp gets a pretty good rating on CNET and its also cheap, hopefully just cheap because of its minimal smart/internet apps and lack of 3d which i dont care about anyway. The samsungs on the other hand I cant find much good info on. What is the difference between these EH and ES series?

Edit: heard some good things about the sony as well, what do you think?

Or if you have other good options at lets say, $1800 or below. And if so why. Also just 60" ones, i cant go from big to smaller biggrin.gif

I look forward to you guys expert opinnions. Thanks for reading!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-10-2013, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone?
post #3 of 11 Old 01-10-2013, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
First off, except for the Sony, none of these models will have local dimming.

The Samsung TVs with the EH designation are full array LEDs which means that the LEDs are lined on the back instead of the edges. This means two things:

1) Better uniformity
2) Thicker cabinet (around 4-5 in deep)

Among the TVs you listed the Sony and the Sharp are the best fir your you, in my opinion.

The Sony will have a form of local dimming but it won't have the color accuracy of the Sharp. The Sharp, in my opinion, looks the best and it has a matted screen so it repels glare and reflections better. There is also a model of the Sharp (LE600U) that is exactly the same specs wise, sans the smart apps which will save you money.

I would also consider the Vizio 601i-A3 if I were you. It is currently the same price as the Sharp (LE600U) with arguably a better picture if you're not using a universal remote, the Vizio has the best remote.
post #4 of 11 Old 01-10-2013, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Really? The EH ones are cheaper than the ES ones yet they are the full array? As i understand it full array is supposed to be much more expensive as it gives more uniform lighting compared to edge lit.

Have you personally seen the quality of the sharp to which you speak of? I went into BB to check them out and the picture didnt seem very rich and vibrant like the sony or higher end samsungs. Looked more grainy. But i also dont take what i see in the store for a certainty as the lighting is not what you get in your home and they probably play with the settings and angles to sell the ones they want.
post #5 of 11 Old 01-10-2013, 09:11 PM

The general consumer is willing to spend a little more for a "slim" set than one with a slightly better picture. The ES series TVs also tend to have extra features such as Smart Hub, 3D, a higher Clear Motion rate, or local dimming. I'm nit familiar with the ES6003, but the ES6100 ( which is supposed to entry level ES model) is slim and has Smart Hub. The expensive full array LCD TVs feature local dimming (which are the best LCDs in terms of picture quality).

As for comparing picture quality in store; It's pretty much impossible in today's retail stores. All TVs at Bestbuy that are on a video loop are hooked up via coaxial and all TVs take a serious hit in picture quality. The glass screen TVs do typically have punchier colors that their matte screen counterparts, though. To counter that, the matte screen TVs will have darker blacks.
post #6 of 11 Old 01-10-2013, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks and one last thing, i read that the sharp has bad 1080 24p performance with bad judder?

Im not sure i seem to have heard sony is best when going for LEDs but that youre also just paying for the name. I just want a tv with rich vibrant punchy colors and good on the blacks too. With smooth video processing.

Im a little hesitant with the matte screen of the sharp giving a more grainy look on. Lighting is not so bright so im not concerned with reflections.

So complicated eek.gif
post #7 of 11 Old 01-10-2013, 09:35 PM

There us no "definitive" brand for the best LED-LCD TVs overall, just reference models (ex. Sharp Elite, Sony XBR950/850, and the LGLM9600) that all happen to be full array with local dimming. It all comes down to what technology the specific set is using, not what brand is stamped on the bottom center.

Among the TVs you listed, the Sony does seem to beat fit your needs. It is also the more expensive of the ones you listed as well (although the ES6100 is within $100 either way usually depending on the sale). The LG LM7200 is worth looking at based on your needs and price point as well.
post #8 of 11 Old 01-10-2013, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah although now that you tell me the EH ones are full array im thinking those might actually be best. But how do you think thatll work with clouding/blooming?

You said the sony had local dimming though. So edge lit local dimming vs full array without?
post #9 of 11 Old 01-10-2013, 09:53 PM

I really don't have too much insight on how the clouding is in the Samsung TVs since I don't know how the LEDs are arranged. I do know, though that the Samsung will turn off it's LEDs on full black scenes (between commercials, credits, etc.). That can either be distracting or something you'd appreciate.

The Sony is supposed to have some sortof local dimming. It's tough to tell how effective it is on the midrange model. Usually, it's never very good on edge lit TVs. That said, it should help contrast to some degree.

Between the Samsung full array and the Sony edge lit, I'd probably lean to the Sony in terms of picture quality. I think Sony does a good job of sealing any light leakage and it is a better spec'd set. The Samsung's dark scene performance will be a tough pill to swallow if your coming from a plasma.
post #10 of 11 Old 01-10-2013, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter

Actually I just read that according to cnet the sony does not have local dimming. http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/sony-kdl-46ex645/4505-6482_7-35432722.html (review of smaller size model but applies to the larger ones apparantly)

But i think im still learning to this one more, it seems to have the more vibrant punchy colors im after.
post #11 of 11 Old 01-10-2013, 11:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemustang View Post

Actually I just read that according to cnet the sony does not have local dimming. http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/sony-kdl-46ex645/4505-6482_7-35432722.html (review of smaller size model but applies to the larger ones apparantly)

But i think im still learning to this one more, it seems to have the more vibrant punchy colors im after.

Someone mentioned the Vizio e601 model. You might also take a look at the Vizio M3D651SV model. It is 65 inches, and edgelit, but does have local dimming. I think Best Buy carries them now.

rick
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony 60 Inch Kdl60ex645 , Sharp Lc70le640u 70 Inch Led Tv , Samsung Un60eh6000 60 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Led Hdtv Black , Samsung Un60es6100 60 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Slim Led Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page