Amazon Video on Demand - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-11-2013, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can somebody please help me out here? Just took delivery of terrific 65LM6200 after doing an agonizing amount of research. Set it all up and what to my surprise do I find? That Amazon Video On Demand is not represented in LG's Smart TV software. I called their customer service and spoke to the stereotypical call center person in Indonesia who suggested that I update my software. Right. Then she said those famous words that I hear most often from my cell phone carrier about whichever phone I purchased three months ago... "we might offer it in a future software release."

I was really hoping that I could downsize the number of little electronic boxes I own by removing my Roku box. I guess that's not happening. At first I was certain I saw the Amazon functionality on the set I looked at in the store. Now, I'm thinking I was looking at a different LG model there. If you dig down in the Q&A on the LG product page, someone asked this question and LG's response was that Amazon didn't allow it. That makes no sense and I confirmed that from Amazon. They would like every piece of hardware on the planet that could display Amazon VOD display Amazon VOD.

Anybody have any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-11-2013, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Well there isn't much you can do about not having that feature. I highly doubt the set will ever get it.

That being said, you can either keep it, or take it back and exchange it, since you say you just bought it.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-11-2013, 10:13 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairfieldwizard View Post

If you dig down in the Q&A on the LG product page, someone asked this question and LG's response was that Amazon didn't allow it. That makes no sense and I confirmed that from Amazon. They would like every piece of hardware on the planet that could display Amazon VOD display Amazon VOD.

Anybody have any thoughts?

I don't believe that's accurate, though one would instinctively think it makes complete sense. Amazon determines who gets the AIV app and doesn't make it freely available across any device. For each device Amazon authorizes, it needs to worry about testing / performance and dealing with customer issues where something doesn't work as expected -- it adds support cost and effort. I remain frustrated that AIV isn't available on my Oppo BDP-93 blu-ray player -- it is present on other Oppo products. According to Oppo, Amazon won't authorize the last generation players and Amazon has acknowledged my complaint that it is not available on the player.

That being said, I have a 2012 Samsung TV, and while it did not have AIV available from my purchase date and for some months thereafter, the AIV was subsequently released and is now available on my set. While I am obviously in no position to make any promises, I would expect you are much more likely to see an AIV app added at some point to a new LG Smart TV (like other models) than other older devices (like my Oppo) and wouldn't be surprised if it actually was added at some point to your set's capabilities.
post #4 of 4 Old 01-12-2013, 05:15 AM

Liked: 16
I have a Samsung UN46EH5300 and it does great with the Amazon app.

However, their Blu-Ray players are another story. They do not have the Amazon app. Here' a transcript from a chat with them two days ago:
Powell: Hi, thanks for reaching out to Samsung tech support. How can I help you today?
Visitor: A quck question:
Powell: Please go ahead.
Visitor: I have a Samsung Smart TV and it does great streaming Amazon Instant Video. But, I have older TV's in the house and want to make them "smart". Will Blu-Ray players like the BD-E5900 or BD-E6500 stream Amazon Instant Video?
Powell: I understand that you want to know if you connect Blu-ray player BD-E5900 or BD-E6500 to TV, if you can access Amazon app or not.
Powell: I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.
Powell: I'm sorry to inform you that Amazon app is not yet available for Blu-ray players. You can connect the player to TV and access other apps on the player.
Visitor: Do you know if the app will be added or if it will be included on the upcoming 7500?
Powell: I'm sorry, we don't have any information about it.
Visitor: Thank you.

I'd love to use their Blu-Ray player so I have a similar interface in both rooms but right now cannot.

FWIW only two 2012 LG TV's are on Amazon's list this year compared to numerous ones last year. Also no 2012 LG Blu-Ray players are listed. There were many in 2011.

You can get a list of all Instant Video devices from the Amazon web site. http://www.amazon.com/gp/video/ontv/devices#Bluray
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page