What 2013 LED/LCD display are you looking forward to? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 01-12-2013, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Dr.Shankenstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,085
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 94
I hope that 2012 was an off year for manufacturers and things will turn around for the better. We had very few standouts here in the states like the HX950, which was a cheaper option than the Elite, but still not on the same level. The Samsung ES8000 was respectable, but nowhere near Elite performance. I know short of the flagship Panasonic plasma ZT/VT60 LED sets are largely a big question mark.
I myself am hoping that Panasonic can redeem themselves this generation with their LED units. Since I am a budget minded consumer I am looking for the most bang for my buck, so as far as Panasonic is concerned it will have to be the ET60 and if I am lucky the DT60(within budget). The Sony camp is pretty much the KDL-W802A and that is another budgetary maybe? Their are a few maybes in the LG line-up if overall contrast and black level performance can be addressed. Samsung is still a question mark since little outside of 4K and the F8000 little is known of their line-up.
Dr.Shankenstein is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 Old 01-13-2013, 06:27 AM
Senior Member
 
RiverSide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 422
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shankenstein View Post

I hope that 2012 was an off year for manufacturers and things will turn around for the better.

From the initial reports it seems like more of the same. The obvious changes are the OLED and the 4K models if you want one for your yacht.

Other than that.. the same old panels have been given a dual core processor and more smart features and that's it. Budget consumers continue getting the shaft from manufacturers who refuse to trickle down technology to affordable prices. If this really was open competition (which it is not.. read news report about manufacturer collusion in several tech industries to control prices) we'd have affordable 480Hz panels (software boosted to 960Hz) in 47" models for around $500 by now.

Insert pithy comment here
RiverSide is offline  
post #3 of 6 Old 01-13-2013, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Dr.Shankenstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,085
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverSide View Post

From the initial reports it seems like more of the same. The obvious changes are the OLED and the 4K models if you want one for your yacht.

Other than that.. the same old panels have been given a dual core processor and more smart features and that's it. Budget consumers continue getting the shaft from manufacturers who refuse to trickle down technology to affordable prices. If this really was open competition (which it is not.. read news report about manufacturer collusion in several tech industries to control prices) we'd have affordable 480Hz panels (software boosted to 960Hz) in 47" models for around $500 by now.
Agreed. I know Vizio doesn't have the best track record with dependability, but they are the only ones making those features available to consumer at reasonable prices. Since Best buy is now an authorized retailer I may have to give it a swing with a geek squad black tie warranty. In one year when the TV inexplicably dies I'll exchange it for the 2014 with even better features, LOL.
Dr.Shankenstein is offline  
post #4 of 6 Old 01-13-2013, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Dr.Shankenstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,085
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Just took a tour of the Sony website and no 2013 sets offer full array LED.
Dr.Shankenstein is offline  
post #5 of 6 Old 01-13-2013, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member
 
8mile13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,922
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shankenstein 
Just took a tour of the Sony website and no 2013 sets offer full array LED.
That's not true. Last years full array local dimming Sony was not introduced at the start of the year...

What am i'm looking forward to???

the Samsung UN85S9, expect a few more surprises wink.gif
8mile13 is offline  
post #6 of 6 Old 01-13-2013, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Dr.Shankenstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,085
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post

That's not true. Last years full array local dimming Sony was not introduced at the start of the year...

What am i'm looking forward to???

the Samsung UN85S9, expect a few more surprises wink.gif
Besides the the HX950 from 2012 none of the 2013 sets at CES will include Full-array local dimming. I think the Samsung is a sight to behold, but can only imagine it's price soaring much like the 84" offering from Sony.
Dr.Shankenstein is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55hx950 Bravia Led Hdtv , Samsung Un65es8000 Led Hdtv , Sony Bravia Kdl 47w802a 47 Class Full Hd 3d Led Lcd Internet Tv
Gear in this thread - Un65es8000 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off