Does anyone worry about loosing power during an update? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-13-2013, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So, new Sony XBR950 panel, new S790 bluray, and new-ish Marantz SR7005 receiver that all update from time to time. Does anyone worry about the unlikely event of a power outage at the same time as an update that bricks the unit? I always fell on the side of a standard surge protector but was considering an APC AV UPS like the S20 for the protection of a battery backup for the above mentioned situation. I will tell people that the "snake oil" power conditioning is a plus, but deep down I really think the lights and fancy display are more of a benefit. LOL. Anyways, is this a real concern or just an excuse for me to spend some $?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-14-2013, 04:29 AM

Liked: 16
I would highly recommend putting it on a UPS. I put my receiver and sub on the surge-only side due to power draw concerns, but during firmware updates, I'd put the receiver on the battery backup side. Plus, if you're into setting the time on your Sony TV, the UPS will keep it from losing the time during short duration outages. (I'm assuming your 950 is like my 850 and prior Sony TVs WRT losing the time at the drop of a hat.) I don't know about the "APC AV" UPS; I use a normal APC XS1500 for my PC, TV, and other components. Works great.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-14-2013, 04:41 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks for the input. I guess I'm not alone. I know the odds are small on this, but where I live, we do loose power every month or so, albeit briefly. I can't imagine the feeling of being half way through a network update and having the lights go out.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page